PDA

View Full Version : Batman Beyond and naruto movies.

Jayngfet
2008-07-23, 12:16 AM
Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker and Naruto The Movie 2 are showing this weekend, on Toonami at 5:30, afterwards Naruto, Ben 10, and Samurai jack will be on as usual.

Anyone else going to be watching.

kpenguin
2008-07-23, 12:23 AM
Will it be the sanitized Return of the Joker or the uncensored one?

Jayngfet
2008-07-23, 12:29 AM
Don't know, on one hand they just aired a heavily edited superman:doomsday. On the other we just got a barely hidden baby corpse aired at roughly the same time a week later.

turkishproverb
2008-07-23, 12:32 AM
Probably whichever version they have lying around. Still, both are good.

Tirian
2008-07-23, 12:59 AM
I hope that they destroyed all of the sanitized edits. The movie is challenging in showing the best four minutes of the DCAU, but it's fairly rated at PG-13. And the changes were absurd; going beyond the heavy details of torture and child-based murder and wiping out things like the Joker referring to Bruce as "Bat-Fart" and Batgirl talking to prostitutes. Let's never speak of it again.

Jayngfet
2008-07-23, 01:44 AM
A bit off topic but...

...What does the playground think of Toonami itself.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-07-23, 08:36 AM
A bit off topic but...

I could live without it. It's there mostly because someone that is not the parents have decided what is good for children and young teens to watch.

Tirian; what is 'DCAU'? I have been on vacation, so my Acronym-fu is weak.

RMS Oceanic
2008-07-23, 09:00 AM
DCAU - DC Comics Animated Universe, consisting of Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Batman Beyond, Justice League & Unlimited, Static Shock and Project Zeta.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-07-23, 09:30 AM
Hmm...I'll take a gander at both actually. On the one hand BB:RotJ is just one amazingly good film and I would have watched it anyway. On the other the second Naruto movie is the best of the three I've seen and not too much should change between the uncensored movie and a censored one...they might have to change some of the swearwords but that's about it. Plus it has Shikamaru AND Gaara in it.

Rogue 7
2008-07-23, 10:24 AM
Shikamaru and Gaara? If I weren't hanging out with friends, I'd check both that and Batman out.

Toonami's lost a lot of its luster, particularly since Naruto is in the middle of filler (I watch online, but the dub's decent enough if nothing else is on), and the only other thing good on is Samurai Jack. I remember way back, when I was something like 12 or 13, they'd show Yu Yu Hakusho in the middle of the day. That was good, and I'm disappointed that I didn't watch that more. I'm a little confused as to why they don't have Bleach when Adult Swim's got it, but that's generally a good thing for me- my brother and I have made a habit of watching Bleach and Code Geass, interrupted by a half-hour of channel surfing because neither of us like Death Note.

Twin2
2008-07-23, 11:20 AM
A bit off topic but...

It's seen better days. I miss being able to enjoy a full Saturday evening worth of shows, before adult swim. Now it's about 2 hours worth of naruto and whatever else they can find.

Reinforcements
2008-07-23, 11:35 AM
Man, adult swim has Bleach, Code Geass and Death Note? That makes me happy - not that I'd watch Bleach's crappy dub, but still. Good stuff.

Rogue 7
2008-07-23, 11:41 AM
Aye. 12:00-1:30. There's nothing egregious about the Bleach dub that puts me off- Johnny Young Bosch does good work as Ichigo in particular. I tend to favor subtitles over dubs, but the elitism of some anime fans over the superiority of subs irks me, and I'll watch both.

Eldan
2008-07-23, 11:55 AM
Hm.. if I remember correctly, the second Naruto movie was the halfway decent one. They were all pretty bad, though.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-23, 04:12 PM
Man, adult swim has Bleach, Code Geass and Death Note? That makes me happy - not that I'd watch Bleach's crappy dub, but still. Good stuff.
There's nothing wrong with the Bleach dub, Bleach is just an atrociously bad, yet overrated, series.

I've been watching Toonami since back when it had Space Ghost.
It's solid, and often shows some really great stuff, particularly Naruto (Before they hit the sea of filler), Samurai Jack, the Hellboy Movies, Miyazaki films, and Ben 10: Alien Force.

Mx.Silver
2008-07-23, 04:19 PM
There's nothing wrong with the Bleach dub, Bleach is just an atrociously bad, yet overrated, series.

Finally! Someone else who agrees :smallwink:

Obrysii
2008-07-23, 07:54 PM
Bleach's dub is quite excellent, actually.

And the second Naruto movie? Gaara = awesome. The rest? I can do without.

Reinforcements
2008-07-24, 07:12 AM
Finally! Someone else who agrees :smallwink:
Well, Bleach is a stupid shonen series, but I think it does it a lot better than most. It's all mindless fighting, but they actually spend most of their time fighting rather than powering up (Dragonball Z, sometimes Yu Yu Hakusho) or describing what they're doing (Naruto).

Although I only read the manga anyway. The show did a really bad job of capturing Tite Kubo's art.

Rogue 7
2008-07-24, 09:28 AM

I've been watching Toonami since back when it had Space Ghost.
It's solid, and often shows some really great stuff, particularly Naruto (Before they hit the sea of filler), Samurai Jack, the Hellboy Movies, Miyazaki films, and Ben 10: Alien Force.

Now, I like both, but I'm curious as to why exactly you think that Naruto is better than Bleach? I'm of the opinion, as are a lot of people I've talked with, that Bleach is better as a whole, though I really haven't watched much of the Anime. I can conclusively say that about the manga, though.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-24, 11:41 AM
Now, I like both, but I'm curious as to why exactly you think that Naruto is better than Bleach? I'm of the opinion, as are a lot of people I've talked with, that Bleach is better as a whole, though I really haven't watched much of the Anime. I can conclusively say that about the manga, though.

Well, I think Naruto is better because it often relies more on strategy to resolve fights. Of course, it often doesn't, but in it's best fights (Shikamaru/Anyone, Sakura/Sasori) it's not just a matter of raw power. Of course, there's a lot of filler, but I tend to ignore that in the judgement.

Bleach irks me for several reasons:
1: It starts out as something other than a shonen power-up series. At first, it seems like an interesting story about a boy who ends up a substitute grim-reaper and goes around town shinto-ghostbusting.
You get into the series on those grounds, then Soul Society arc hits and it ruins that.

2: Bloated, irrelevant cast. Naruto suffers from this as well, but even if it doesn't use its characters all the time, they're at least relevant when they show up. With Bleach, you have Ichigo, Orihime, Chad, Ishida, Rukia, All 12 Squad Captains, All Their Vice-Captains, Several more people from each squad...it gets a bit much.
Especially since the only ones who can ever do anything are Ichigo, and sometimes one other person if Kubo feels generous. Have the active cast at any given time exists to follow around Ichigo not doing anything. Except Orihime, she's also there to be threatened and tied to railroad tracks.

3: Bankai. I know shonen series have power ups, but it always annoys me when there are actually "levels of power" written into the series. Especially when the level which is supposed to take years to achieve and be known only to the 12 most powerful people in soul society is grabbed by every character who needs to look badass in about a day and a half.

But this is all livable. I like stupid shonen series. The real problem is:

(Spoilers ahead)
4: The Plot is Really Bad
The Soul Society Arc was just atrociously plotted. It didn't make any sense, and was completely driven by Macguffins. It was shocking swerve after shocking swerve and ruined the series for me.
Rukia gets taken to be executed and the gang has to save her. THAT is a plot. Don't throw all these backnotes that we have no reason to understand or care about at us.
The whole thing culminates with the betrayal of Aizen and the blind guy (a character who we've seen like once before) and all I can think of is "This has nothing to do with anything!"
Especially because the whole thing doesn't make sense. Why did Aizen need to tip people off to their being a conspiracy when it was so obvious that Rukia was being unfairly punished with execution-by-plot device for a minor crime? Why would Aizen have tipped people off to their being a conspiracy when he was behind it all? Why did he need this complicated plot in the first place when he was infinitely more powerful than all the other people in soul society in the first place?
Especially annoying was the revelation that "He's doing it so he can steal the supper naginata they use for executions!" gets replaced with "That's a trick, I'm REALLY doing it so I can steal this other Macguffin you haven't heard about yet."

Very. Bad. Plot.

I also read the manga, and the point where it was revealed that Ichigo's father was also a shinigami the whole time was the last straw for me.

Rogue 7
2008-07-24, 01:08 PM
Well, I think Naruto is better because it often relies more on strategy to resolve fights. Of course, it often doesn't, but in it's best fights (Shikamaru/Anyone, Sakura/Sasori) it's not just a matter of raw power. Of course, there's a lot of filler, but I tend to ignore that in the judgement.

Bleach irks me for several reasons:
1: It starts out as something other than a shonen power-up series. At first, it seems like an interesting story about a boy who ends up a substitute grim-reaper and goes around town shinto-ghostbusting.
You get into the series on those grounds, then Soul Society arc hits and it ruins that.

Good enough points. I can easily understand those.

2: Bloated, irrelevant cast. Naruto suffers from this as well, but even if it doesn't use its characters all the time, they're at least relevant when they show up. With Bleach, you have Ichigo, Orihime, Chad, Ishida, Rukia, All 12 Squad Captains, All Their Vice-Captains, Several more people from each squad...it gets a bit much.
Especially since the only ones who can ever do anything are Ichigo, and sometimes one other person if Kubo feels generous. Have the active cast at any given time exists to follow around Ichigo not doing anything. Except Orihime, she's also there to be threatened and tied to railroad tracks.

Another decent point, but I'm a fan of Negima, which has far more plot-relevant characters active. Never been a problem for me.

3: Bankai. I know shonen series have power ups, but it always annoys me when there are actually "levels of power" written into the series. Especially when the level which is supposed to take years to achieve and be known only to the 12 most powerful people in soul society is grabbed by every character who needs to look badass in about a day and a half.

That was just Ichigo. Renji was already really close. The only other person we've seen randomly busting out Bankai was Ikkaku, and that was cool enough to let pass.

But this is all livable. I like stupid shonen series. The real problem is:

(Spoilers ahead)
4: The Plot is Really Bad
The Soul Society Arc was just atrociously plotted. It didn't make any sense, and was completely driven by Macguffins. It was shocking swerve after shocking swerve and ruined the series for me.
Rukia gets taken to be executed and the gang has to save her. THAT is a plot. Don't throw all these backnotes that we have no reason to understand or care about at us.
The whole thing culminates with the betrayal of Aizen and the blind guy (a character who we've seen like once before) and all I can think of is "This has nothing to do with anything!"
Especially because the whole thing doesn't make sense. Why did Aizen need to tip people off to their being a conspiracy when it was so obvious that Rukia was being unfairly punished with execution-by-plot device for a minor crime? Why would Aizen have tipped people off to their being a conspiracy when he was behind it all? Why did he need this complicated plot in the first place when he was infinitely more powerful than all the other people in soul society in the first place?
Especially annoying was the revelation that "He's doing it so he can steal the supper naginata they use for executions!" gets replaced with "That's a trick, I'm REALLY doing it so I can steal this other Macguffin you haven't heard about yet."

Very. Bad. Plot.

I also read the manga, and the point where it was revealed that Ichigo's father was also a shinigami the whole time was the last straw for me.

Ichigo's dad explained a lot to me- namely it provided some form of explanation as to how Ichigo was actually that powerful.

On to Soul Society. The only person Aizen tipped off was Momo. He did that largely to mess with Hitsugaya and throw up a false trail. He wanted Rukia executed at the Soukyou because that would basically disintigrate her body and expose the Macguffin. The plot to destroy it was to throw suspicion off himself. He was forced to accelerate his plans to kill Rukia (thus making Ukitake and Kyouraku suspicious, which proved to be problematic for him) because Ichigo and company kept getting closer and closer to actually managing to rescue Rukia. For heaven's sake, if Byakuya hadn't shown up that one time, Hanatarou and Ganju would have pulled it off. Aizen kept falling back on plans when Ichigo and company got further than expected, but at the same time, their presence allowed him to move much more freely. He had the whole thing plotted out, and pulled it off without a hitch.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-24, 01:13 PM
A bit off topic but...

I liked it back when it was on weekdays. I would go thru the schoolday just so I could run home and catch DBZ and Gundam Wing. Sadly, Cartoon Network as a whol seems to have abandoned gundam altogether.

Obrysii
2008-07-24, 01:28 PM
Sadly, Cartoon Network as a whol seems to have abandoned gundam altogether.

Yep, but Sci-Fi is going to air Gundam 00!

Jayngfet
2008-07-24, 02:12 PM
Another slightly off topic question: Anyone here heard of the toonami CD's(deep space bass and the unreleased black hole megamix)?

GryffonDurime
2008-07-24, 07:04 PM
Oh, I used to -love- Toonami. From Moltar to Tom to the Intruder to...less stellar TIEs...

Toonami used to be a cohesive piece of network branding. It had impressive content and packaging; so much so that I would even watch it just for the actual Toonami intersticials. Now, the commercials don't even call it by name. Ever since it lost its daily slots to the late Miguzi, Toonami's been circling the can.

RIP.

kpenguin
2008-07-24, 07:07 PM
What does everybody think of Batman Beyond? I'm watching some old episodes and I'm lovin' it!

Jayngfet
2008-07-24, 07:09 PM
Great, especially considering it was made for the sole reason of selling batman toys.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-24, 08:54 PM
Toonami used to be a cohesive piece of network branding. It had impressive content and packaging; so much so that I would even watch it just for the actual Toonami intersticials. Now, the commercials don't even call it by name. Ever since it lost its daily slots to the late Miguzi, Toonami's been circling the can.

RIP.

I think you're throwing in the towel prematurely. It stopped being a daily long before Miguzi ever rolled around.

It suffers from a lack of original programming, especially since it canned the vastly underrated Megas XLR and IGPX.

At the moment, it's largely running on Naruto, which becomes a problem once they're into the filler arcs.

If anything has threatened Toonami, it's Adult Swim. Toonami got its biggest bumps from being one of the first mainstream channels to show anime as anything other than a ludicrous novelty (I have fond memories of robotech; I know it's a bad dub but it was still groundbreaking) Now though, AS is the place to see cutting edge anime. (Sci-Fi just gets joke series)

However, Toonami has and always has had potential. Naruto draws, even if it's into filler, and as long as people remember the words "Samurai Jack" it'll always command respect when they bring in new series.

Jayngfet
2008-07-24, 09:31 PM
I think you're throwing in the towel prematurely. It stopped being a daily long before Miguzi ever rolled around.

It suffers from a lack of original programming, especially since it canned the vastly underrated Megas XLR and IGPX.

At the moment, it's largely running on Naruto, which becomes a problem once they're into the filler arcs.

If anything has threatened Toonami, it's Adult Swim. Toonami got its biggest bumps from being one of the first mainstream channels to show anime as anything other than a ludicrous novelty (I have fond memories of robotech; I know it's a bad dub but it was still groundbreaking) Now though, AS is the place to see cutting edge anime. (Sci-Fi just gets joke series)

However, Toonami has and always has had potential. Naruto draws, even if it's into filler, and as long as people remember the words "Samurai Jack" it'll always command respect when they bring in new series.

A lot of this came up in a recent interview (http://www.toonamifan.com/toonamidemarco.html) with Co creater Jason DeMarco.

In other news another interview with Sean Akins is in the works.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-25, 12:15 AM
A lot of this came up in a recent interview (http://www.toonamifan.com/toonamidemarco.html) with Co creater Jason DeMarco.

In other news another interview with Sean Akins is in the works.

Wow, thanks, great interview.

It's a little sad to hear it spelled out some of the cuts they dealt with. I could go on a rant about the animation age ghetto, and horrifying abominations like Spongebob, Flapjack, or Toon Disney...
...but I won't, because it was also a very heartening interview. It's good to see the passion they have for what they're doing, and it makes me confident for the future.

Sigh, I miss IGPX. It's unfortunate the world couldn't appreciate it's greatness.

Jayngfet
2008-07-25, 12:32 AM
Toon disney I'll give you, but don't knock spongebob or flapjack, spongebob is a great show(later seasons a little less so), and flapjack has less than ten episodes and some of which are actually funny in an invader zim sense.

Helanna
2008-07-25, 03:05 PM
Is Naruto worth watching? My friend has been trying to get me to watch it for a while and I'm finally getting around to it.

And no. I don't mind filler at all. I am so bored most of the time that simple filler is quite welcome. I have almost nothing to do all day (I can't find a job for the life of me) so TV would be a nice break from the internet.

Jayngfet
2008-07-25, 03:14 PM
Naruto is good if you're into shonen. The best Naruto movie is on tomorrow so you're in luck there.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-25, 04:25 PM
Toon disney I'll give you, but don't knock spongebob or flapjack, spongebob is a great show(later seasons a little less so), and flapjack has less than ten episodes and some of which are actually funny in an invader zim sense.

I'm a bit elitist here...my idea of good a cartoon is Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

The jokes in Spongebob and Flapjack aren't jokes, it's ADD exagerration of bright colors and screechy wailing. The only actual jokes are just to set up disgustingly exagerrated body shapes.

Good humor comes from characters and plot, or at least the truly abstract craziness that you see in some adult swim cartoons.

Spongebob and Flapjack, too me, fall flat. It's all Ren and Stimpy's fault.

Jayngfet
2008-07-25, 06:03 PM
It's not like all of the humor is "ADD exagerration of bright colors and screechy wailing." sure there's a bright color here and a loud noise there but a good deal of the humor is how the characters interact, just because a character uses an archetype (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Keet) doesn't mean it's all from that character.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-26, 03:12 AM
The regular cartoons are actually starting to get better. The character experience physical pain, they meet extremely creepy characters, ect. However I do miss the old days of toonami, one thing especially...Tom. Yes, Toonami's old host. Every year something would happen on the ship which resulted in a new game on the website that changed with the story. If anyone remembers, the first Tom died a horribly painful death at the "hands" of a mysterious glob of goo that infested the engines of the ship resulting in the engines being jettisoned and the viewers getting to decide on the new model.

I know it's trivial but it was awesome when I was 10.

Jayngfet
2008-07-26, 04:05 AM
Actually there were only three Total Immersion Events over eleven years.

Plus a webcomic.

Also TOM's still on Toonami, he just took off his helmet ...after mutating a couple of times.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-26, 02:09 PM
Into some wierd combonation of an orange iPod and a microwave. They also took out the ship's AI which I cant seem to remember the name of.

Jayngfet
2008-07-26, 08:26 PM
Sara, Spaceship girl (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceshipGirl) of the absolution (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CoolShip)(both of them).

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-26, 08:43 PM
Right but still. They shouldn't have made such a drastic change without at least a total immersion arc to explain it. One minute we have Tom2 and the little robot things, now we got this weird thing that looks like a microwaved stereo.

Jayngfet
2008-07-26, 08:48 PM
TOM3, we got TOM3 when Toonami went to weekends, Sara also got a whole body and a new ship. We had a webcomic to explain it involving robot pirates.

Xuincherguixe
2008-07-26, 09:17 PM
Is Naruto worth watching? My friend has been trying to get me to watch it for a while and I'm finally getting around to it.

And no. I don't mind filler at all. I am so bored most of the time that simple filler is quite welcome. I have almost nothing to do all day (I can't find a job for the life of me) so TV would be a nice break from the internet.

I would say yes. There is some annoying stuff, and it largely depends on how much you can put that aside. But it's got some pretty great bits too.

Filler in theory isn't a bad thing. Naruto's filler however got really terrible. They seemed to have learned their mistakes though, because the latest batch isn't that bad.

The Naruto Movies are all pretty bad, but they're well animated at least.

turkishproverb
2008-07-26, 09:31 PM
I would say yes. There is some annoying stuff, and it largely depends on how much you can put that aside. But it's got some pretty great bits too.

Filler in theory isn't a bad thing. Naruto's filler however got really terrible. They seemed to have learned their mistakes though, because the latest batch isn't that bad.

The Naruto Movies are all pretty bad, but they're well animated at least.

Naruto filler is STILL better than Kenshin filler.

Jayngfet
2008-07-27, 12:59 PM
Alright, this weeks movie is another batman. Batman and Mr freeze: subzero.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-27, 02:20 PM
Alright, this weeks movie is another batman. Batman and Mr freeze: subzero.

Ah, an excellent film. From the great period of Batman: TAS.

Return of the Joker was excellent, seeing it again. It was nice to see what they did with the flashback, twisting the saccharine cutesyness that was the later diniverse Batman.

kpenguin
2008-07-27, 02:48 PM
I missed RotJ. Was it the censored or uncensored version?

SubZero, huh? Good, although it at times felt like just an overly long Mr. Freeze episode.

Think they'll be showing Mask of the Phantasm any time soon? The STAS World's Finest episode was turned into a movie as well, I believe. That one I haven't seen yet.

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-27, 04:50 PM
I don't know the difference between the two versions.
This had The Joker killing people and torturing Robin into a psychotic monster. I didn't hear bleeps or anything.

kpenguin
2008-07-27, 04:51 PM
I don't know the difference between the two versions.
This had The Joker killing people and torturing Robin into a psychotic monster. I didn't hear bleeps or anything.

Did Joker die offscreen through electrocution or onscreen through a harpoon?

ArmorArmadillo
2008-07-27, 05:27 PM
Did Joker die offscreen through electrocution or onscreen through a harpoon?

Offscreen.
Censored version, apparently.