PDA

View Full Version : A Wicked Pack of Cards [PrC]

The Demented One
2008-07-23, 10:54 AM
Tarot Oracle

Among the most capable of diviners are those who call themselves Tarot Oracles. Skilled mages, they are capable of reading the lines of fate using a ritual deck of tarot cards. While anyone can play at foreseeing the future with such a set of cards, only true Tarot Oracle can interpret the deep and occult symbolism of the cards, thereby opening their minds to the future. The Tarot Oracles guard their secrets and rituals fiercely, but a talented diviner ought have no trouble in seeking an apprenticeship with one of the masters.

d4 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become a Tarot Oracle, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks
Feats: Spell Focus (Divination), Greater Spell Focus (Divination)
Spells: Must be able to cast at least one 3rd-level arcane spell of the divination school.
Special: Must be taught for at least a month by a Tarot Oracle.

Class Skills
The Tarot Oracle class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (Any) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells
1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Tarot Deck, Tarot Reading|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Shuffle Fate (Least Fate)|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|The Cards Know|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Shuffle Fate (Least Fate)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Deal out the Answers|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Shuffle Fate (Lesser Fate)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Master of the Deck|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Shuffle Fate (Lesser Fate)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Stack the Deck|+1 level of existing spellcasting class
10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Shuffle Fate (Greater Fate)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Occult Journalist prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
You gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spellcasting
Whenever you gain a new Tarot Oracle level, except at 2nd level, you gain new spells per day and spells known as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class you belonged to before you added the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Tarot Deck
At the end of your training as a Tarot Oracle, you are given a deck of tarot cards. You can use these cards in the place of any non-expensive material component or focus of a divination spell. In addition, you gain a +1 bonus to your caster level for any divination spell you cast as long as you have your deck of cards. In order to use any of your spell-like or supernatural class features, you must possess a tarot deck. If you lose your deck or if it is destroyed, you can make a new one by spending 8 hours in work, using raw materials worth 100 gp.

Tarot Reading (Sp)
At 1st level, you can use your pack of tarot cards to read the future. To do so, you must spend one minute drawing and interpreting tarot cards. This functions as the augury spell, with class level equal to your own. However, you may also use this ability to read the future of a character other than yourself. To do so, that character must also be present at the reading. You may use this ability at will, but once you have performed an augury for a creature, you cannot do so again for a week.

Shuffle Fate (Sp)
At 2nd level, you can momentarily alter a creature’s fate, whether for good or for ill. When you use this ability, you temporarily bestow a Fate on it. You learn one Least Fate you can use with this ability. At 4th level, you learn an additional Least Fate. At 6th and 8th levels, you learn a Lesser Fate, and at 10th level, you learn a Greater Fate. The Shuffle Fate ability can target a single creature within 30 ft. of you, and has a duration equal to one minute per class level. An unwilling creature targeted by the shuffle fate ability can negate it by making a Will save, DC 10 + ½ your arcane caster level + your Intelligence modifier. Spell resistance applies against the shuffle fate ability; your caster level is treated as being equal to your arcane caster level. You can use the shuffle fate ability once per day per two class levels. However, you cannot bestow a Fate on more than one creature at a time, and a single creature can never have more than one Fate bestowed upon it at a time by the same Tarot Oracle.

Least Fates

Fate of the Chariot
The destiny of those with the Fate of the Chariot is to travel the earth, and fortune will permit no obstacle to stop them from this goal. A character that has had the Fate of the Chariot bestowed upon it gains a +10 ft. luck bonus to his base land speed, and a luck bonus on all Balance, Climb, Jump, Swim, and Tumble checks equal to your class level. The bonus to speed increases to +15 feet at 5th level, and to +20 ft. at 10th level. In addition, their movement is not hindered by difficult terrain.

Fate of the Emperor
Emperors are destined to rule and command, but this is not the destiny you lay on your foes when you bestow the Fate of the Emperor on them. Rather, you fate them to obey you, as if you were the destined Emperor and they your servant. A character that has had the Fate of the Emperor bestowed upon it is charmed. In addition, you can give it commands, which functions as the suggestion spell. It can attempt saves against the suggestion effect even while charmed (their DC is the same as the shuffle fate ability), but it takes a -4 penalty on all such saves. You can give the subject orders at will, but once you have made a suggestion, you must wait 5 rounds before you can make another.

Fate of the Fool
The Fool is favored by fortune, his uncanny luck defending him from all harm. A character that has had the Fate of the Fool bestowed upon him gains a luck bonus on all saves and to his AC equal to half your class level, rounded down. In addition, all attacks, including spells that require an attack roll, have a 5% chance of missing him. This chances increases to 10% at 5th level, and to 20% at 10th level.

Fate of the High Priestess
The High Priestess is a figure of truth and purity, and you may call upon her sacred destiny to cleanse those you lay her fate on off all spells. You may attempt to dispel all spells currently affecting the creature when you bestow this fate on it, as the targeted version of the dispel magic spell. In addition, at the beginning of each of your turns, you may dispel any new spells cast on the subject.

Lesser Fates

Fate of the Hanged Man
While the Hanged Man may seem a figure of ominous portents, Tarot Oracles recognize him as a more benevolent archetype, representing the fertility god, sacrificed to bring forth renewed vitality to the land and the bounty of the harvest. By laying the Fate of the Hanged Man upon an ally, a Tarot Oracle can imbue them with that same renewed vitality, mending their wounds. A character that has had the Fate of the Hanged Man bestowed upon it is immune to all diseases and poisons, and gains fast healing equal to half your class level, rounded down, as long as it has half or less of its maximum hp.

Fate of Judgment
By calling upon the Fate of Judgment , a Tarot Oracle can condemn their foes to suffer the punishment for a destiny that is not theirs. A character that has had the Fate of Judgement bestowed upon it takes 10d6 damage, plus an additional 1d6 damage for every two class levels you have, and is stunned for 1 round. This is an exception to the standard duration of the shuffle fate ability.

Fate of the Magician
The Magician is a figure of knowledge and magical power. A character that has had the Fate of the Magician bestowed upon it gains a luck bonus on all Concentration, Knowledge (Arcana), Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device checks equal to your class level. In addition, they may cast as a spell-like ability any arcane spell, as long as its level is not of the highest level of spell you can cast or higher. Their caster level for the spell is equal to their character level. They cannot cast spells that have expensive material components or foci, and must pay any XP costs of the spell they cast. Casting a spell ends the duration of the Fate of the Magician.

Fate of the Tower
The Tower represents downfall, the destruction of all one has obtained. Those on whom you bestow the Fate of the Tower are cursed, taking a -4 penalty to one ability score of your choice, and a -5 penalty on all attacks rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws. In addition, it does not gain the benefit of any luck bonuses it may have.

Greater Fates

Fate of Death
Those you lay the direst of fates upon are doomed to fear and suffering, followed by an agonizing death. This Fate’s duration lasts three rounds, and each round has a distinct effect. In the first round, the character on which the Fate has been bestowed is shaken and can only take a single action. In the second round, the subject is frightened and dazed. On the third round, it must make a Fortitude save, with DC equal to that of the shuffle fate ability, or die. Even if it succeeds on the final save, it is dazed and takes 5d8 damage.

Fate of the World
The final card of the major arcana, The World represents success and triumph, and the fulfillment of goals. A character that has had the Fate of the World bestowed upon it gains a +4 luck bonus to all ability scores, and a +5 luck bonus on all saving throws, ability checks, skill checks, and to AC. In addition, if they are reduced to 0 hp or less, they may choose to be healed 10d6 hp. Doing so ends the duration of the Fate of the World. Once you bestow the Fate of the World upon a character, you cannot bestow any more Fates on them for 24 hours.

The Cards Know (Sp)
At 3rd level, whenever you use your tarot reading ability, you may choose to have it function as the divination spell, rather than the augury spell. Otherwise, it still functions as a normal tarot reading.

Deal Out The Answers (Sp)
At 5th level, you can use your tarot deck to answer questions about the future. By spending a minute drawing and interpreting tarot cards, you can determine whether the answer to a single question, asked by either you or another character attending the reading, is “yes” or “no.” Some questions cannot be clearly answered, but only those portending to such great secrets even gods or other powerful planar beings would also be ignorant. You may use this ability each day to answer a number of questions up to your arcane caster level, but a character other than you can only receive the answer to one of its questions each day with this ability (even if it tells you or another character the question and has you or them ask, no response is given).

Master of the Deck (Su)
At 7th level, as long as you have your pack of tarot cards, you can ignore expensive material components and foci for divination spells if their cost is less than or equal to 100 gp times your class level.

Stack the Deck (Su)
At 9th level, you can cheat even fate. Once per day, whenever you would roll a d20, you may choose not to roll, treating the result as a 20. You must choose whether to use this ability before you roll the dice. The result is not treated as a natural 20.

Burley
2008-07-23, 11:56 AM
The first thing I noticed is that your table is jacked up. There is not level three, except for in the spells column of level two.

More to come, if any.

arguskos
2008-07-23, 04:50 PM
First, I love it. I love Tarot, and I think I'll probably gank this wholesale if that's ok with you. :) If not, that's cool too.

Second, concerning the Tarot Reading ability, does that once/week stipulation apply to the Oracle themselves as well? If so.... that's sorta silly. What oracle limits the reading of their own fates?

-argus

JoshuaZ
2008-07-23, 09:16 PM
A few remarks:

"The final card of the major arcane" should read "The final card of the major arcana".

You require that the caster be an arcane spell-caster since it requires 3rd level arcane spells. I see no reason why a divine spell-caster shouldn't be allowed to enter class.

I'd make the level where you don't advance spellcasting at level 1 since the abilities given at level 1 are substantially useful enough to make a level 1 dip make sense. As it is written now you can take a level 1 dip and just get your divination improved by 1. You have to take two bad feats since so few divination spells care about saves but the concern is still there.

I'm a little concerned about Fate of the World. It allows you to give everyone in your party a massive buff if you blow it all at once. This seems potentially broken.

The Demented One
2008-07-23, 09:39 PM
"The final card of the major arcane" should read "The final card of the major arcana".
I'll fix that.

You require that the caster be an arcane spell-caster since it requires 3rd level arcane spells. I see no reason why a divine spell-caster shouldn't be allowed to enter class.
I don't really see divine casters using a tarot deck to perform divination - they can just turn to their gods. It strikes me as more of an arcane sort of thing.

I'd make the level where you don't advance spellcasting at level 1 since the abilities given at level 1 are substantially useful enough to make a level 1 dip make sense. As it is written now you can take a level 1 dip and just get your divination improved by 1. You have to take two bad feats since so few divination spells care about saves but the concern is still there.
Honestly, a +1 caster bonus on divination spells really doesn't do much for you. Combine that with the fact that you have to blow two feats on absolutely worthless abilities, and I think 1st level balances nicely.

I'm a little concerned about Fate of the World. It allows you to give everyone in your party a massive buff if you blow it all at once. This seems potentially broken.
I'll change it so you can't have the same fate bestowed on two creatures at the same time.

Stycotl
2008-07-25, 12:59 PM
fate of the hanged man still says fate of the wizard. there might be others with this typo too, but i didn't double check.

i think this is pretty cool, very flavorful and rp-oriented. nice job. i don't think it rates a level without spellcaster progression though. keep it 10/10.

aaron out.