PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Unleashed

Geno9999
2008-07-23, 11:02 AM
I was just wondering how many hedgehog lovers are here and are going to buy the newest Sonic game for PS2&3, Xbox 360, and Wii.

Me? Sonic is my favorite hero other than Mario, but like many fans, I hate search and find missions **** that SEGA keeps throwing are me:smallfurious: but, the newest Werewolf Sonic video is more on SONIC SMASH PUNY BLACK THINGS! (compare to The Hulk) than speed.

MESSAGE TO SEGA! QUIT IT WITH THE SEARCH AND FIND MISSIONS! THAT TAKES TOO MUCH BRAIN POWER FROM THE SONIC FANS!

If you want to post anything Sonic, go ahead.

I'm going to edit my sig with the message until SEGA learns.

Blayze
2008-07-23, 11:18 AM
Oh, for the days of Sonic CD...

Jibar
2008-07-23, 12:14 PM
Jibar's Reaction to Sonic Unleashed

Before Werehog Emerged: Oh my God. Oh my God. Those idiots listened. They listened and now they are making a good game. Oh thank you God. Thank you for this!

After Werehog: *headDESK*

WHAT IS WRONG WITH SONIC TEAM!?

Everytime they get a good idea, they then get twenty bad ones that ruin everything. Example:
Sonic Heroes.
1 "Hey, let's have four people who run! Then there'll be lots of running and it'll be fast and theyll be like 'Woah, it's like the old sonic. That's cool.' Seriously, they'll love it."
2 "Yeah, but then lets make them stop every couple seconds to kill robots. With Knuckles."
1 "Four people and Knuckles?"
2 "Yeah, you're right. Let's make teams."
1 "So everybody gets their own Knuckles?"
2 "Yeah."
1 "Oh... kay... what else?"
2 "Tails."
1 "Tails?"
2 "Tails. One for each team."
1 "Umm... right. Yeah. Okay. That could... that could work. What next?"
2 "Bad level design!"
1 "Huh?"
2 "Bad camera!"
1 "What are you"
2 "Bad bosses! Eggman sucks again! BRING BACK METAL SONIC!"
1 "Wait, these are... these aren't good ideas. We only allow good ideas."
2 "Kickass themesong. It'll go like Sonic Heeeroeees."
1 "That... is brilliant. You get to be in charge now."
2 "Yay! SHADOW HAS AMNESIA!"

1 has our best interests in heart, why won't you listen to him!?
2 INVENTED SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG!

Bigwig: "Okay. Here's a new game. What are we thinking?"
1 "A return to the classic, speed based gameplay. Sonic, and only Sonic is controllable. We give the fans what they keep asking for."
Bigwig: "I like it. That could work. What about you, 2?"
2 "WEREHOOOOOOG!"
Bigwig: "That is brilliant. You get promoted to God."
2: "In the next game you won't even control Sonic."
Bigwig: "Super God."
1 "Screw this. I'm going to get employed by BioWare and show you all how to make a good game."

And now 1 is in charge of Sonic Chronicles.

...that all got away from me. Sorry.

Enlong
2008-07-23, 01:44 PM
Personally, I find myself just unable to get outraged by the ílwolf thing. The gameplay shift isn't going to be jarring, like shifting teammates in Sonic Heroes. It's goint to be seperated into day ad night halves of the misssion. Also the ílwolf gameplay looks like fun. That's right. I think I will have fun playing as Sonic the ílwolf. There's crazy combos, climbing, and lots of baddies to smash. Personally, I think that if Sega had announced the exact same gameplay, but told us that we would be playing as Knuckles during those parts, then there wouldn't be any complaints. Sure, turning Sonic into an ílwolf is kind of a shocking change of pace for the hedgehog, but it all seems well done. The gameplay looks like good fun, the normal Sonic gameplay is spot-on, and at least we aren't being introduced to, say, Nails the Wolf, a visitor from the moon who takes over half the levels.

In short, the game looks like fun, and I, for one, welcome our new ílwolf overlords.
For those of you playing at home, íl is the Old English word for hedgehog, and since werewolf comes from were, meaning man, the proper term for Sonic in Unleashed is an ílwolf, not a werehog (that'd be a man who turns into a pig. See also: Ganon

Also, Sonic and the Dark Knight? sounds a lot better then it originally looked.

Geno9999
2008-07-23, 04:23 PM
Also, Sonic and the Dark Knight? sounds a lot better then it originally looked.

At first, I thought that Sonic and Fire Emblem were doing a crossover. ("Sonic vs. Black Knight of Daein (or Dark Knight)" Sonic gets a critical hit! 15 dmg, Sonic attacks again! 5 dmg, Black Knight used Eclipse! 50 dmg! Sonic is dead :smallfrown:.)

and at least we aren't being introduced to, say, Nails the Wolf, a visitor from the moon who takes over half the levels.

YES! No new characters because the list is too long (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters) and they don't have the old characters play a major role anymore! (Mighty who?)

Also, @Jibar, Shadow wasn't that bad of a character, and most fans liked him because his gameplay was the same as Sonic's (I hated Rogue's last mission, Bad gravity sim anyone?) and I... um... kinda liked Sonic heroes, mostly the final boss theme.

Dihan
2008-07-23, 04:40 PM
Sega should take Sonic back to the linear, 2D, 'run to the end' games that they started the franchise with or just let their spiky mascot die with dignity.

Enlong
2008-07-23, 05:23 PM
YES! No new characters because the list is too long (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters) and they don't have the old characters play a major role anymore! (Mighty who?)

Also, @Jibar, Shadow wasn't that bad of a character, and most fans liked him because his gameplay was the same as Sonic's (I hated Rogue's last mission, Bad gravity sim anyone?) and I... um... kinda liked Sonic heroes, mostly the final boss theme.
Oh, I enjoyed Sonic Heroes myself (and I LIKED the Chaotix missions), I was just citing problems some people had with Sonic Heroes that Unleashed does not have. Also... I... Enjoyed the Shadow subplot until it got full of aliens

@Doihaveaname?
I think that, while 2d, race-to-the-end Sonic gameplay is fun and relevant (see: Sonic Rush), I think it would be good for Sega to find a winning formula with 3d Sonic. The Adventure arc did it well, Heroes was a step forward and a step back at the same time, ShtH was a step kind of... off to one side, and the 360 game was a step backwards into a pit that was hidden by a bad camera, from what I heard. But it seems as though they're really doing things right with this and the "myth" Sonic games (zooming through a horde of enemies and slicing them up without breaking pace? Heck yes! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool)).

That... kind of got away from me, but my point is, 3D Sonic can be done well, I am sure of it, and if Sega can get it right and bring the fire back to the Sonic Franchise, then by all means let them do it, and I don't care if they make Sonic into an ílwolf to do it.

Geno9999
2008-07-23, 07:25 PM
About Shadow the Hedgehog game, I liked the idea of running and gunning hoardes of baddies, but I didn't exactly like the end result. The problem? For the best score in Hero/Dark sides, you have to pick your foes carefully, you can't just run and shoot every thing that you see. And Chaos control? USELESS in most mission except for; Normal (just run to the end), and boss battles (stop time instead of warping). For this reason, I think that the scale is tilted to Chaos Blast's favor (can blast every thing nearby, but hits your friends too)
And I didn't like it that the allies that you're helping are SHOOTING RIGHT AT YOU INSTEAD OF EACH OTHER! (it's like they failed at Stormtrooper Marksmanship School)
Shadow (me) "You idiot! I'M HELPING YOU!"
G.U.N. Soldier "We have received an order to..."
"CHAOS BLAST!... idiotic humans"
OR
Black Arms *alien language* (you look like blue hedgehog, you die now)
*BLAM!"
Black Doom "WHAT are you doing my son?"
"That 'ally' JUST TRIED TO SHOOT ME!!!"

Jibar
2008-07-24, 02:39 AM

Oh no, I liked Shadow.
I liked Adventure Battle 2. 'Cos at least then those damn extras got levels to themselves, instead of stopping me for some abstract reason in the middle of running because Tails feels the need to pick everybody up and fly when you could have just had a ramp and let me run up the wall.
Then when you got Shadow the 'Gimmie A Gun' Hedehog starring in Convulted Backstory Bullcrap Episode 1 (Oh No It Are An Aliem), that's when I start to dislike Shadow.
And ya know what? I don't think I'd hate the werehog (I'm gonna keep calling it that) sections nowhere near as much if it was Knuckles. I could actually like them if it was Knuckles. But getting Sonic to turn into a damn werehog is just stupid. No. It really is. It's like a Fan met with 2 and told him "Hey, we don't really like playing as different characters that much." 2 gave this a lot of thought and then decided "WEREHOOOOOOOG!" (I always imagine him tearing off his shirt, jumping onto the table and twirling the tattered remains of his clothing above his head, screaming this word.)
Plus, unfortunately, this game looks set to continue the pile of collaborative vomit that Sonic Team attempts to pass off to us as a plot. Eggman has built a giant laser, and it's up to Sonic to stop him. Leave it at that. It's done. You've got your game plot. Congratulations.
It's like they saw Mario's plots of "Bowser kidnaps Peach. Peach gets rescued. End." and thought "Well if we can't beat them in gameplay then we can beat them in plot." Then 2 got employed in that area and everything went downhill. 2 is now their only remaining employee. Apart from the stuffed animal he claims programs the games. It's a Sonic plushie of course.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an avid hater of Sonic. I love Sonic. I grew up playing Sonic games and I love the blue guy. Unlocking him in Brawl made me happier than any other character could. And the fact that he has been ruined fills me with sadness. I just want someone to show up at the office someday, find 2's shrine to Amy and fire him.
And then start work on making real Chao.

Edit: You know, lately I'm sure I'm coming across as something of a ranty twit. Probably because I'm BORED and have been watching Zero Punctuation too much.

Mando Knight
2008-07-24, 07:51 AM
Heh. Jibar, you've just iterated what I've been feeling all along. Ever since SA2 (the first 3D Sonic I played, as SA2 Battle for the Gamecube), I've felt that the 3D games are a bit of a step back from the 2D ones, but could have been good. Eggman needs to try to blow up/enslave the planet with his cute-forest-animal or Chaos Emerald powered machines, and Sonic needs to run really fast to stop him, while getting all 7 Emeralds in tricky, high-speed bonus rounds. And turn into Super Sonic when he has 50+ rings and 7 Emeralds and jumps twice. (So Sonic 3&K for the Genesis/Mega Drive is my favorite one. So sue me. It's the best one, anyway.)

Knux and Tails as playable characters would be fine... so long as throwing them into the mix doesn't mean that you're forced into any other kind of gameplay to win the game. Sonic 3&K does it right here again.

Geno9999
2008-07-24, 12:47 PM
Heh. Jibar, you've just iterated what I've been feeling all along. Ever since SA2 (the first 3D Sonic I played, as SA2 Battle for the Gamecube), I've felt that the 3D games are a bit of a step back from the 2D ones, but could have been good. Eggman needs to try to blow up/enslave the planet with his cute-forest-animal or Chaos Emerald powered machines, and Sonic needs to run really fast to stop him, while getting all 7 Emeralds in tricky, high-speed bonus rounds. And turn into Super Sonic when he has 50+ rings and 7 Emeralds and jumps twice. (So Sonic 3&K for the Genesis/Mega Drive is my favorite one. So sue me. It's the best one, anyway.)
Knux and Tails as playable characters would be fine... so long as throwing them into the mix doesn't mean that you're forced into any other kind of gameplay to win the game. Sonic 3&K does it right here again.

Amen bro, amen.
I mean now that they knocked Super Saiyan Sonic down to 11th hour super power, (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EleventhHourSuperpower)I feel a bit cheated of the "Run real fast to the end" gameplay (or just you know, going Super Saiyan Sonic at anytime).
Also, I kind of liked the Tail/Eggman/E-102 Gamma shooter levels a bit but, Knuckles/Rouge's missions, I can get an A rank on them, BUT NEVER, EVER, ASK ME TO DO TAIL'S/ROUGE'S KART MINIGAME OR ROUGE'S LAST MISSION (again, bad gravity sim with all the moons + bad camera). In fact, I almost hated Rouge until I realized that she's Miss Fanservice (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MsFanservice) (and you know, hormones, I still hate her, but not as much)

P.S. does this mean that I'm branded as furry on teh interwebs :smalleek:?

Geno9999
2008-07-27, 11:02 AM
3D Sonic can be done well, I am sure of it, and if Sega can get it right and bring the fire back to the Sonic Franchise, then by all means let them do it, and I don't care if they make Sonic into an ílwolf to do it.

Well, really the day missions of Sonic Unleashed are more like 2.5D rather than 3D or 2D but that has nothing to do with night missions.

Also my impression of the missions is this, Daytime Mission (or two) then a cutscene, then WEREWOLF SONIC! mission, then a cut scene, repeat and serve.

Enlong
2008-07-27, 09:36 PM
Well, really the day missions of Sonic Unleashed are more like 2.5D rather than 3D or 2D but that has nothing to do with night missions.

Also my impression of the missions is this, Daytime Mission (or two) then a cutscene, then WEREWOLF SONIC! mission, then a cut scene, repeat and serve.

Yup, sounds like a fine formula.

Geno9999
2008-07-28, 11:01 AM
I remember one of my brothers beating SA2:B with all A rank and got a weird 3-D recreation of Green Hill Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. I thought "Hey, if Sega did something more like this, it would be great." just run real fast on a recreated level from the Sonic games. What do you think? Here's video of it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyK05_wk-J8&feature=related).