PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars SAGA Edition Campaign Idea.

kkortekaas
2008-07-23, 11:28 AM
I've got an idea that I need help fleshing out. I'll post it in point form to to expedite getting my ideas into a forum post.

- First adventure occurs just before / during Order 66.
- Essentially some sort of mission with a NPC Jedi master and some lesser jedi
- They'd also have a small contingent of clone troopers.
- Order 66 happens and everything goes to hell forcing the Pc's to bail from the situation right quick.
- Actual start of the campaign, running from the Imperials, assisting other jedi, trying to learn the whole Jedi thing without a master.

Likely Issues.
- I don't currently have a reason for a NPC Jedi Master to go on a field trip with some apprentices.
- I would be forcing class right off the bat. either as Jedi or "support personel" like pilots or soliders or whatever.
- They'd get a ship pretty much immediately, which I'd need to define (nothing great, kinda a junker)
- I need to find a way to get non-jedi into the mix.

Any input that you feel would help is welcome.
I've got access to all 3 SAGA Edition books.

archmage45
2008-07-23, 12:41 PM
A jedi master taking a couple of padawans to take out a minor target of the techno guild/trade federation/etc. They are traveling undercover, so they hire a merc ship to take them where they are going?

kkortekaas
2008-07-23, 01:59 PM
Perhaps I'll create a minor Hutt Crimelord, who is laundering money for the separatists or something...

Any additional ideas would be helpful, speicifcally on the ship front.

Amiria
2008-07-23, 03:38 PM
Traveling undercover wouldn't make sense with a contingent of clone troopers ...

Maybe the Knights/Masters of the Padawans are on a really dangerous mission and left their Padawans with the other Jedi Master and his clone trooper contingent ... who had some sort of leave or recuperation ... but then they where ordered to to investigate/stop some apparently not so dangerous event in a nearby star system ... like your idea with the Hutt crimelord.

Waspinator
2008-07-23, 04:16 PM
About ship ideas: how about you have a large number of clone troopers go with them in a large, capital ship on the mission. They would probably go down to whatever planet the mission's on in some kind of shuttle or freighter with only a small group of troopers; maybe have them be negotiating or something with the Hutt. Anyway, that'd be when Order 66 hits. You could have them have to fight off the group of troopers with them and then make a run for it in the freighter before the rest of the troopers and the capital ship come after them.

kkortekaas
2008-07-23, 04:50 PM
Okay, let me bounce this off of you...

Traveling undercover to investigate dealings of a Hutt crimelord, they travel to the edge of System to be named later in a Republic Star Destroyer(http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/l.aspx?k=1639819) and then travel in system in a beatup old freighter likely a YT-2400 (yeah I know technically they hadn't been created at this time, but still it's cool looking)

Then while everyone is on planet, Order 66 will happen. and a contingent of clone troopers will land.

This should be a nice climax to the adventure as it'll involve kicking the crud out of some clone troopers, and likely a bit of a space battle as they run away from the Republic Star Destroyer.

Investigating the Hutt for something also allows me to introduce no-jedi party members if they so choose.

Waspinator
2008-07-23, 05:49 PM
Sounds good to me so far. If you want some ideas as to where they could go from there, you could always borrow some ideas from the "Dawn of Defiance" campaign on Wizard's site.

Mando Knight
2008-07-24, 08:03 AM
Commando squad. It gives you a reason to pack clones, though ARC troopers would be likely to TPK for 66 unless you simply have the troops kill the Master just as the Padawan(s) return from a task and are still 100 feet or so off (like Luke seeing Vader kill Obi Wan in IV), so the clones are separated from the PCs as the Master dies. The Master would likely be a General, though he'd be behaving like a campaign-specific Ep III Obi Wan, taking down a target before the big invasion, and the Padawan(s) just tag along everywhere. Non-Jedi can be locals you hire, smugglers you use for an undercover insert, etc.

If they're the advance guards clearing out targets before the invasion, though, you may run into trouble from orbiting Venator SDs when you leave...

ShaggyMarco
2008-07-24, 08:18 AM
I used a similar set-up once.

You can have the NPC Jedi Master travelling with 1 or two apprentices (any Jedi PCs), leading Clone Troops on an urban planet. Then have, as a side concern, the NPC Jedi looking for a force-sensitive on the planet he has sensed or had visions about (a force-sensitive non-Jedi PC). This local force-sensitive could have ties to a local gang/underworld (other PCs). You could even have the indoctrination of one of the Clone Troopers not work correctly, and they decide NOT to follow Order 66 (Trooper PC). Also, any of these PCs could own a droid (Droid PC)

Then, when Order 66 is called, the force sensitive with underworld ties gets the Jedi apprentices off-world/in hiding. Of course, the Jedi Master sacrifices himself to save the others and get them off planet, and charges his apprentices to see to it that the Force-Sensitive PC is taught to avoid the dark-side because of some vision/prophecy or something.

kkortekaas
2008-07-24, 08:58 AM
Any of you ever give your players a ship so early in their careers?

If so what kind of ship did you give them?

Although I'm kicking around the YT-2400, it's not going to be new, it'll likely be a huge credit sink as it'll always be falling apart.

EDIT
I found the perfect "look" for the ship

http://www.colonialchrome.co.uk/Ships/Old/OG_UNK_Courier_2.html

Now I need to stat it out using the Starship of the Galaxy (SAGA) rules. Anyone care to help? I'd like to give it at least minimal arms.

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-24, 09:25 AM
Any of you ever give your players a ship so early in their careers?

If so what kind of ship did you give them?

Although I'm kicking around the YT-2400, it's not going to be new, it'll likely be a huge credit sink as it'll always be falling apart.
A word of advice: Keep careful track of the cost of the breakdowns (though don't make it look like you're doing so!) and pace them out over the life of the ship; they get it fixed up well enough to stop falling apart right about when they've shelled out enough in repairs to have bought the ship.

archmage45
2008-07-24, 09:37 AM
In most of my star wars (or star wars-esk) games the players usually ended up with a ship pretty quickly, if they didn't just start off with one.

Some ships you might want to consider:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/GX1_Short_Hauler
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starwind-class_pleasure_yacht
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Class_720_freighter
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/HT-2200_medium_freighter

Having ships as a credit sink works for lower levels. Once they get enough credits they'll most likely upgrade to something more reliable. Don't abuse the credit sink thing. Its not fun for anyone.

Have fun!

Waspinator
2008-07-24, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I'd give them access to some kind of ship pretty early. If nothing else, it sounds like they'll be on the run from the Empire ASAP, so transportation would help a lot.

Also, if their original mission was not going to involve space combat, the freighter they're in might not have guns. That would both reduce the cost of what you'd be basically giving to them for free and give them an initial motive for adventure work (getting enough cash to arm the thing).

kkortekaas
2008-07-24, 10:37 AM
Okay, I've "fallen in love" with the Ghtroc 720

(http://www.wizards.com/starwars/downloads/SotGpreview1ghtroc720.pdf)

Modifications I'm proposing to do before they every touch it.
- Remove the double laser canons, but leave the mount for it, so they can outfit it when they have the cash / time.

- Revamp the Port Cargo area and turn it into 3 rooms, combine the existing port living quarters into 1, and combine the refresher / living quarters on the starboard side into a larger refresher.

- Likely make the hyperdrive a little busted, perhaps drop it a catagory.

Any able to think of anything else on the negative side?

How about possible enhancements to the ship?

archmage45
2008-07-24, 12:26 PM
Okay, I've "fallen in love" with the Ghtroc 720

Modifications I'm proposing to do before they every touch it.
- Remove the double laser canons, but leave the mount for it, so they can outfit it when they have the cash / time.

- Revamp the Port Cargo area and turn it into 3 rooms, combine the existing port living quarters into 1, and combine the refresher / living quarters on the starboard side into a larger refresher.

- Likely make the hyperdrive a little busted, perhaps drop it a catagory.

Any able to think of anything else on the negative side?

How about possible enhancements to the ship?

Well, how many players do you have? The 3 crew quarters are each relatively large. Also what was the purpose of the ship prior to it coming into the hands of the players? If it remains a cargo ship why would you give up 1/2 the cargo space? Or was the ship used as a pleasure yacht? Also, for some extra space you could take a page from Firefly and turn one of the escape pods into someones quarters.

As for the twin turbo lasers, are you sure you want to remove the only weapon system the ship has? If so, why? Was it sold off for parts/fuel?

Hyperdrive problems are always fun, as are leaks (like an oil leak, but call it something else). Built in secret compartments are fun, especially if they don't know about it, and there is something already in it! That someone wants back!! :smallbiggrin:

Another one is to have a frequently malfunctioning refresher. :belkar:

It could also come missing one escape pod. Frequently jamming landing gear, or cargo ramp (could make planet escape difficult).

Have fun!

Waspinator
2008-07-24, 12:49 PM
I like the secret compartment idea. It could be fun to have some crazy old droid or something in there hiding from its last owner.

archmage45
2008-07-24, 12:52 PM
I like the secret compartment idea. It could be fun to have some crazy old droid or something in there hiding from its last owner.

Oohhh... a crazy old droid... with a perminantly installed personality program, so it can't be wiped. Or a back up file that automatically kicks in when it is wiped.

kkortekaas
2008-07-25, 06:55 AM
I've let this perculate overnight, anyone have anything they feel would be cool to include? perhaps down the road? some sort of plot arc?
anything?

Waspinator
2008-07-25, 02:20 PM
Well, if you do use the crazy old droid idea, you could have him hold a grudge against a past owner and ask the PCs to help him get revenge. The other way to use that situation would be to have the owner come after the PCs to get his droid back.