PDA

View Full Version : Angels aren't the only ones that fall [2 Monsters]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-23, 05:38 PM
The Heartless Eladrin
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/demon_by_photoplace.jpg
Image by photoplace.

The first fall will always be embedded in the minds of those who now stand as gods, the first fall of the angels and archons under the rulership of Asmodeus himself. These celestials of good and law are not the only ones capable of falling, however. The Eladrins of Arborea are capable of falling from their high planes and into the tarnished chaos that is the Abyss.
These Eladrins are known by most as The Heartless, as they all share one physical trait: a gaping hole in their chests where their hearts should be. As a counterpart to the clipped wings of fallen angels, this is the tainted sign of the eladrin's fall from grace.
Each heartless eladrin have been reformed in the chaos and evil of the Abyss into the shape of the tanar'ri, and with the twisted and inverted ideals of their former kin. Where a righteous knight of freedom may have been in Arborea, it is now a bloodthirsty harbinger of death in the Abyss, or mischief may become insidious and backstabbing.

Kajubaan
http://th04.deviantart.com/fs31/300W/f/2008/226/a/0/Kajubaan_by_Nny2.jpg

Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri)
HD: 12d8+48 (102 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 80 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 26 (+4 Dex, +12 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+18
Attack: +4 unholy bastardsword +22 melee (1d10+10/19-20) or claw +18 melee (1d4+6)
Full Attack: +4 unholy bastardsword +22/+17/+12 melee (1d10+10/19-20) and claw +13 melee (1d4+3) or two claws +18 melee (1d4+6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Abyssal blast, spell-like abilities, entropic discorporation
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., DR 10/cold iron and good, immunity to disease, electricity, fear and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, fire 10, spell resistance 22, summon tanar'ri, telepathy 100 ft., tongues
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +12, Will +11
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 19, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 21
Skills: Bluff +15, Climb +21, Concentration +17, Diplomacy +19, Disguise +5(+7 acting), Hide +17, Intimidate +22, Jump +21, Knowledge (the planes) +6, Listen +16, Move Silently +17, Sense Motive +18, Spot +16
Feats: Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Shock Trooper
Environment: The Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization: Solitary, pair or murder (3-13)
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 13-24 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +6

What first appears to be a beautiful and muscular human or elf is suddenly revealed to be something utterly otherworldly. Standing almost eight feet in height and wearing not but bracers, a sash and skirt of black, ashen cloth is a humanoid shape wielding a twisted black sword, dripping with black ichor which seems to spill from underneath it's thick bracers. It's head is hairless and it's skin dark grey and apparently shining with some unknown liquid. It turns it's head to reveal glowing red eyes and a maw of pointed teeth. It's entire body twists to charge and the massive hole in it's chest where it's heart should be is apparent, almost ripped out as if through stone.

Kajubaans are one of the most violent of the heartless eladrin's. In their previous life they may have been righteous warriors or knights of freedom, but now they seek bloodshed and death in their infinite frustration. On whatever plane you find one of these vicious swordsmen, it is likely you won't get anything out of them more than raging screams and blows of a sword-or worse.
Most kajubaans are independent to any demon lord, and most live even without another of their kind, but a few will be in the service of the more "elegant" demon lords, such as Graz'zt and Malcanthet. In blood war battles, should they wish to join in, they are elite foot-soldiers, on the front-lines cutting through devil-kind like jagged knives through butter. In rare cases(very rare, like, once or twice in all of recorded time) kajubaan and eladrin have taken the same side in a battle against law, particularly devilkind.

Kajubaans speak Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal, and Draconic, but can communicate with almost any creature, thanks to their tongues ability.

COMBAT
Kajubaans love bloodshed, and they prefer to use their swords in combat above all else. If the distance is too great, and they do not have the time to teleport to the location of their enemies, they will unleash their damaging magical powers at them from afar, and if they feel they've been damaged enough or stunned they can teleport into range and gut their enemies like fish.
Most kajubaans don't have any kind of exit strategy once in a battle, far more often than not fighting to the death simply because of their insatiable bloodlust and rage.

A kajubaan’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Abyssal Blast (Su): Kajubaans are capable of concentrating a bit of their own abyssal power into a concentrated blast of profane energy. Once per round, a kajubaan can fire an abyssal blast as a standard action. The Abyssal blast takes the form of a 40 foot cone that deals 12d6 points of unholy damage to all those caught within. Those caught within the cone can attempt a Reflex save (DC 21) for half damage. Once used, this ability cannot be used for 5 rounds. The blast itself looks like a strange combination of blood, gore and glowing red light all suffused into one and usually leaves areas it touches slightly burnt and bloody.

Entropic Discorporation (Su): Like their former eladrin brothers, kajubaans are capable of transforming their bodies into a less stable, elemental form, but instead of a ball of light or torrent of wind a kajubaan turns into a spinning cloud of super-heated ash. As a standard action they turn into this ash-cloud that takes up a 30 foot circle, centered on where the kajubaan originally took on the new shape. While in this shape, they cannot take actions that require the use of their physical body, such as attack rolls, physical ability checks(except Concentration), their abyssal blast but they can use their spell-like abilities and move at a rate of 20 ft. per round. When in this form, the kajubaan is immune to weapon damage, but takes damage normally from spells and items as if he were a swarm. Anyone caught in the cloud is considered to have concealment (20% miss chance for all attacks) and takes 6d6 fire damage per round, with a Ref save (DC 20) for half damage, the save is Con-based.
Additionally, anyone within the area of the ash-cloud must make a Fort save (DC 20) or contract a vicious disease. This disease has an incubation period of 24 hours and deals 1d6 Con damage. Additionally, if untreated for 3 days, small cancer-like souls, similar to mane's begin growing in the bowels of the infected. These bowel-souls will erupt from the victim after another weak untreated, in the shape of a dretch, and dealing 10d6 pounds of damage to the victim. The disease is not cured once the dretch erupts and the process begins anew.
A kajubaan remains in one form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, nor does the kajubaan revert to any particular form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability, however, reveals both forms simultaneously.

Flight (Su): Kajubaans can stop and resume flight as a free action.

Spell-like Abilities: at will - detect good, detect law, detect thoughts, dispel magic, greater teleport(self plus 50 pounds of equipment only), invisibility, lightning bolt, rage; 3/day - chain lightning, ember in the belly (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85665), harm; 1/day - prismatic spray. CL 12th, saves are Charisma based.

Summon Tanar'ri (Sp): Once per day a kajubaan can attempt to summon 4d10 dretches or 1d2 vrocks with a 75% chance of success, or another kajubaan with a 40% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 5th-level spell.

Tongues (Su): Kajubaans can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 12th). This ability is always active.

Skills: Kajubaans have a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

--------

Sajuu
http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs35/300W/f/2008/236/b/d/Sajuu_by_Nny2.jpg

Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri)
HD: 10d8+40 (85 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 100 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 21 (+5 Dex, +6 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+11
Attack: Claw +11 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: 2 claws +11 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: Alternate form, darkvision 60 ft., DR 10/cold iron and good, immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, fire 10, spell resistance 20, summon tanar'ri, telepathy 100 ft., tongues
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +12, Will +9
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 21, Con 18, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 27
Skills: Bluff +21, Concentration +17, Diplomacy +25, Knowledge (arcana) +15, Knowledge (the planes) +13, Listen +13, Sense Motive +12, Spellcraft +17, Spot +13, Survival +2(+4 on other planes)
Feats: Dodge, Greater Spell Focus (enchantment), Improved Initiative, Spell Focus (enchantment)
Environment: The Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization: Solitary, pair or orgy (3-11)
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 11-20 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +6

Draped in tarnished, ripped and bloodied dress which would otherwise be considered elegant and beautiful is a human or elf-like woman. Over half her beautiful face is a demonic iron mask depicting a terrifying beast with pitted eyes and a snake-like tongue. Her hair is long, messy and black and reaches down past her shoulders, though there appears only to be hair on the side without a mask. Her hands are twisted and blackened into bird-like talons the color of coal, and constantly flowing with black ash. Her dress is ripped somewhat in the front and in between her breasts is a vicious hole where her heart should be, which slowly bleeds black blood.

The sajuu are the fallen hedonists and sorcerers of the heartless eladrin. Once they would enjoy the pleasures of life, and now they only enjoy the pleasures of the suffering of others, bathing in their blood and being fed their roasted organs on couches of their treated skin. A sajuu enjoys nothing more than instant pleasures of all sorts and will usually use their natural enchanting power to get what it wants for as long as it wants it.

Sajuu speak Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal, and Draconic, but can communicate with almost any creature, thanks to their tongues ability.

COMBAT
Sajuu are rarely very confrontational, but are often employed with what they want into being powerful forces of magic on the battlefield by other demons. A sajuu prefers to stay out of melee and using their magic from afar and getting their enemies to attack one another or just unleashing blistering physical harm with lightning bolts and fireballs.
If pressed, a sajuu will not hesitate to teleport out of range and find healing or a place to hide and fortify against attack. If unable to escape, it will attempt to beg their enemies for mercy, granting them whatever they can provide in return for their safety, if made to accompany the enemy, they will take the earliest opportunity to backstab them and leave quickly.

A sajuu’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as chaotic-aligned and evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Alternate Form (Su): Sajuu are capable of transforming themselves into an alternate form, like their former eladrin kin. As a standard action, the Sajuu can transform into a swarm of vicious hungry beetles(treat as a locust swarm, except swarm damage changes to 6d6 and the distraction DC changes to 19). In this form, the sajuu gains all the abilities of the swarm in addition to her own, they retain their own hp and HD, can still use spell-like abilities and retains all of it's special qualities, as well as it's alignment and mental ability scores. In this form the sajuu cannot cast spells, speak or use melee attacks.
A sajuu remains in one form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, nor does the sajuu revert to any particular form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability, however, reveals both forms simultaneously.

Flight (Su): Sajuu can stop and resume flight as a free action.

Spell-like Abilities: at will - cone of cold, detect good, detect law, detect thoughts, greater invisibility, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of equipment only), lightning bolt, suggestion; 3/day - mass suggestion, wall of force; 1/day - blade barrier

Spells: Sajuu can cast spells as a 10th level sorcerer. The save DC's are Charisma-based.

Typical Sorcerer spells known (6/8/8/8/7/4, base save DC 18+spell level):
0 - acid splash, arcane mark, detect magic, ghost sound, mage hand, message, prestidigitation, ray of frost, touch of fatigue
1st - charm person, hypnotism, mage armor, magic missile, shield
2nd - scorching ray, summon swarm, tasha's hideous laughter, touch of idiocy
3rd - fireball, magic circle against good, suggestion
4th - bestow curse, confusion
5th - dominate person

Summon Tanar'ri (Sp): Once per day a sajuu can attempt to summon 4d10 dretches or another sajuu with a 35% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 4th-level spell.

Tongues (Su): Sajuu can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 10th). This ability is always active.

Skills: Sajuu have a +8 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-24, 12:41 PM
Opinions? Anyone?
Edit: It has also hit me very suddenly, this is NOT a Kingdom Hearts reference, the heartless thing is a coincidence.

Stycotl
2008-07-24, 03:33 PM
pretty neat. very well thought out. nicely detailed, and good selection of artwork.

only two issues:

i am having a hard time with the idea of a dripping hole in their chest. but that is mostly because i look at them too much from the vantage of a playable race, and it just strikes me as weird. but also, because it makes it hard for me to believe they would be outsiders instead of undead.

i realize that this is just me. i'm just saying...

also, it seems weird that they can summon tanar'ri. i always figured that to be a power gained by their native tie to the plane, and to the race of fiends. i suppose that it could be gained through ritual, as they descended into evil.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-24, 08:27 PM
pretty neat. very well thought out. nicely detailed, and good selection of artwork.

only two issues:

i am having a hard time with the idea of a dripping hole in their chest. but that is mostly because i look at them too much from the vantage of a playable race, and it just strikes me as weird. but also, because it makes it hard for me to believe they would be outsiders instead of undead.

i realize that this is just me. i'm just saying...

also, it seems weird that they can summon tanar'ri. i always figured that to be a power gained by their native tie to the plane, and to the race of fiends. i suppose that it could be gained through ritual, as they descended into evil.

That's the great thing about outsiders, there can be things about them that make no sense but they're still "alive". I just wanted a thematic other than wings torn off(like fallen angels, even if in D&D they don't get them ripped off) but eladrins don't typically have wings.

They do fall to the Abyss with a certain level of power to back them up, and they're reshaped by the Abyss to become a demon, and a particular type of demon. That particular type of demon has an innate ability they all share, and that's to summon tanar'ri. Not to mention they only summon lesser demons or demons of their own kind.

Stycotl
2008-07-25, 12:32 PM
fair enough. kudos.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-27, 12:49 AM
Added a picture for the Kajubaan.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-23, 08:17 PM
Bumping to show off the picture of the Sajuu. Also realized I hadn't finished the feats for her, so I did that too.

Ekeralos
2008-08-23, 09:09 PM
I really enjoy the illustrations. These monsters will make great contributions to my demon oriented games. Hope you don't mind if I use them. :smallbiggrin:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-23, 09:13 PM
I really love the illustrations.

However, I'm no good at balance.

weishan
2008-08-24, 08:31 AM
Personanaly, I wouldn't give them the Tanar'ri subtype. They are made demons by the abyss, but Tanar'ri are a specific race of demon. Granted, I have a Planescape view of the planes.

hamishspence
2008-08-24, 09:29 AM
Baatezu subtype can be gained by Falling (Archon Triel becoming Baatezu Baalzebul.)

Not sure if other subtypes can be gained that way though.

Debihuman
2008-08-25, 07:17 AM
Very nice though I would think that they wouldn't be called Eldarin any more.

Debby