PDA

View Full Version : Please help me Homebrew a Dragon-Wrought Kobold for 4e

Conners
2008-07-23, 07:54 PM
In a Darklords game, I played a Dragon-Wrought Kobold who worshipped Bhaal. Another darklords game seems to be coming up, and I want to bring my kobold priest into it once again. The problem is: He's dragon-wrought, things won't be nifty-keen with his story if he's not by my mind...

Anyone got any ideas how to get a kobold dragon-wrought with the 4e system, without making them unfairly powerful?

Starbuck_II
2008-07-23, 08:14 PM
In a Darklords game, I played a Dragon-Wrought Kobold who worshipped Bhaal. Another darklords game seems to be coming up, and I want to bring my kobold priest into it once again. The problem is: He's dragon-wrought, things won't be nifty-keen with his story if he's not by my mind...

Anyone got any ideas how to get a kobold dragon-wrought with the 4e system, without making them unfairly powerful?

What about being a Dragon Wrought Kobold is required for the character concept?

Um, being Dragonwrought just made you count as a dragon, immune sleep/paralye (but not even dragons have that in 4th).
So in conclusion, you'd be a Kobold, Congrats!

Now, if you would describe your character better I could help. But as is...just be a Kobold.

RTGoodman
2008-07-23, 08:26 PM
Looking at the Dragonwrought feat, I don't see that much that could be converted for a 4E version. I'd probably just suggest not making it a feat and instead, if you want to be more dragony, just take away the shifty Kobold racial power and swap it out for the Dragonborn dragon breath racial power.

I might also include low-light vision, but I'd do that for ANY kobold. I don't see why they don't have low-light vision or darkvision in 4E anyway.

Conners
2008-07-23, 08:32 PM
What about being a Dragon Wrought Kobold is required for the character concept?

Um, being Dragonwrought just made you count as a dragon, immune sleep/paralye (but not even dragons have that in 4th).
So in conclusion, you'd be a Kobold, Congrats!

Now, if you would describe your character better I could help. But as is...just be a Kobold. Wings, naturally superior status to other kobolds, mostly wings though. The other dragon-wrought stuff would be nice, but it isn't necessary.

@rtg0922: Wait... Kobolds don't have DARKVISION!?!? It's listed in their monster entries, so how the he** did wizards forget to put it in their PC-class entry!?!?!! :smalleek:

RTGoodman
2008-07-23, 10:31 PM
Wings, naturally superior status to other kobolds, mostly wings though. The other dragon-wrought stuff would be nice, but it isn't necessary.

Yeah, wings WOULD be pretty nice considering how impossible it is to get flight in 4E (besides "until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes" or whatever).

@rtg0922: Wait... Kobolds don't have DARKVISION!?!? It's listed in their monster entries, so how the he** did wizards forget to put it in their PC-class entry!?!?!! :smalleek:

I don't know if it's a mistake or what, but pg. 278 of my 4E MM definitely says "Vision: Normal" in the Kobold entry. I might e-mail CustServ or someone about it, but I assume the answer will be "PCs and monsters use completely different sets of rules. Darkvision is fine for enemies, but it's too powerful for PCs (even Dwarves, for instance) to have." Or something like that. :smallsigh:

Conners
2008-07-24, 05:11 AM
Yeah, wings WOULD be pretty nice considering how impossible it is to get flight in 4E (besides "until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes" or whatever).

I don't know if it's a mistake or what, but pg. 278 of my 4E MM definitely says "Vision: Normal" in the Kobold entry. I might e-mail CustServ or someone about it, but I assume the answer will be "PCs and monsters use completely different sets of rules. Darkvision is fine for enemies, but it's too powerful for PCs (even Dwarves, for instance) to have." Or something like that. :smallsigh: It is? I didn't realize.... I'll have to invest in griffins before other adventurers catch on.

Why iss darkvision so powerful? Wait... they took it away from DWARVES :gape:!?!? WTF :smalleek:?!? .... Couldn't they just make two varieties of darkvision ("powerful" for monsters, and, "somewhat-useful" for PC races)...?

The Gilded Duke
2008-07-24, 06:02 AM
Another Darklords game? Using 4E? I imagine that could make a lot of the record keeping simpler then before...

Conners
2008-07-24, 06:30 AM
Another Darklords game? Using 4E? I imagine that could make a lot of the record keeping simpler then before... Yep, hopefully. If it's too simple, the DM could always import 3.5e rules to make it overly complicated again :smallbiggrin:.

So.... any idea how to do the wings? In 3.5e, you could only glide and jump higher with them, till later levels. Perhaps we could homebrew a dragonborn race? Perhaps Dragon-Wrought Kobolds have Wings and Dragon-Wrought Qualities instead of Shifty and Trapsense?

Starbuck_II
2008-07-24, 01:46 PM
Yep, hopefully. If it's too simple, the DM could always import 3.5e rules to make it overly complicated again :smallbiggrin:.

So.... any idea how to do the wings? In 3.5e, you could only glide and jump higher with them, till later levels. Perhaps we could homebrew a dragonborn race? Perhaps Dragon-Wrought Kobolds have Wings and Dragon-Wrought Qualities instead of Shifty and Trapsense?

You could give them something similar to Air Gensai, but a at will action power instead of a Encounter power.
Fly 6 (Air Gensai had 8) as a move action (and land safely at end of move to ground with no falling damage)

That would give a flying ability, but not let them stay airborne (4th gives lots of fly abilities, but nothing lets you stay airborne till Cloud Chariot or Flying Carpet).

Conners
2008-07-25, 04:10 AM
You could give them something similar to Air Gensai, but a at will action power instead of a Encounter power.
Fly 6 (Air Gensai had 8) as a move action (and land safely at end of move to ground with no falling damage)

That would give a flying ability, but not let them stay airborne (4th gives lots of fly abilities, but nothing lets you stay airborne till Cloud Chariot or Flying Carpet). That sounds good. Thanks :smallbiggrin:!

I'll have to ask the DM what he think of the idea. I could always make it so that I don't get the power till fourth level (as I believe it was in 3.5ed).

Yakk
2008-07-25, 10:29 AM
Feat: Spread Wings
Your Kobold's Wings have grown strong enough to support it for short flights. Replace a level 12 or higher Utility power with:

Spread Wings:
Encounter + Racial Utility 12
Action: Move action.
Effect: Fly 6 squares, and gain Fly: 6 move until the end of next turn.
Sustain: Move action, until end of next turn.
Special: Having wings spread is considered strenuous activity. It can be sustained for no longer than 5 minutes, and prevents rest or recovery.

You can change which power you are replacing when you gain a new level.

Note: In order to sustain it, you need to burn a move action each turn -- plus a move action in order to actually move. This makes attacking in flight nearly impossible.

Conners
2008-07-25, 10:47 AM
Feat: Spread Wings
Your Kobold's Wings have grown strong enough to support it for short flights. Replace a level 12 or higher Utility power with:

Spread Wings:
Encounter + Racial Utility 12
Action: Move action.
Effect: Fly 6 squares, and gain Fly: 6 move until the end of next turn.
Sustain: Move action, until end of next turn.
Special: Having wings spread is considered strenuous activity. It can be sustained for no longer than 5 minutes, and prevents rest or recovery.

You can change which power you are replacing when you gain a new level.

Note: In order to sustain it, you need to burn a move action each turn -- plus a move action in order to actually move. This makes attacking in flight nearly impossible. Wait. if I need two move actions, doesn't that mean I just stop in mid-air... :smalleek:
Other than that, looks good for for my powered racial feat :smallbiggrin:.