PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 elf warlord help

cupkeyk
2008-07-23, 08:16 PM
We are about to play our first 4e game and I have only read the Player's Handbook in one breeze through without giving it much thought. I know I want to be a half elf warlord taking the multiclass feats for wizard. I want to be able to move my opponents and allies around the battle field to take the advantage. The party will be a elf ranger(multiclass rogue), a dragonborn fighter and a dwarf cleric(so I won't be using the healing surge warlord powers). Has anyone posted a build for this in mind yet? Preferably for all thirty levels with ability priotization since I suck at that. We are just playing that free module online, whatever that is, i was just told that it will be that. Something keep or another.

with regards to my playing style, I have always played bard and the warlord/wizard seems to be the closest i can get to that.

Starbuck_II
2008-07-23, 08:41 PM
We are about to play our first 4e game and I have only read the Player's Handbook in one breeze through without giving it much thought.

I know I want to be a half elf warlord taking the multiclass feats for wizard. I want to be able to move my opponents and allies around the battle field to take the advantage.

The party will be a elf ranger(multiclass rogue), a dragonborn fighter and a dwarf cleric(so I won't be using the healing surge warlord powers).

Has anyone posted a build for this in mind yet? Preferably for all thirty levels with ability priotization since I suck at that. We are just playing that free module online, whatever that is, i was just told that it will be that. Something keep or another.

with regards to my playing style, I have always played bard and the warlord/wizard seems to be the closest i can get to that.

So are you a (Tactical) Int Warlord or Cha (Inspiring) type?

Bard or Warlock fit Bard best.
1) Warlord: buffs others like Bard and can fight somewhat decently (like a Bard). Can also heal decently.
2) Warlock: Has spells like Bard did (Fey or Star Pact fit Bard best).

But anyways, assuming Warlord:
I can only give general advice.

Str primary score, Secondary Focus in Int or Cha (whichever you favor).

Covered In Bees
2008-07-23, 08:50 PM
Have you considered multiclassing into Fey Pact Warlock instead of Wizard? It fits the half-elf's ability scores much better and synergizes with the Inspiring Warlord (+2 CHA works for both). Fey Pact spells also fit the bard's flavor better (illusions, charms, etc). Otherwise, the half-elf is getting +2 CHA, but the Tactical Warlord and the Wizard both need INT.

If you already have a cleric in the party, an Inspiring Warlord will overlap, but whatever. If you wanted to switch to Tactical Warlord/Wizard, you could ask for a "half-Eladrin" variant that gets +2 INT instead of CHA, or you could play a human and say he's a little under one-half elf.

erikun
2008-07-23, 08:56 PM
I assume by "moving people around the battlefield", you mean that you're running a Tactical Warlord, right? One using Tactical Presence?

If so, then you'll want to focus on STR and INT. Neither of your Half-Elf bonuses help directly with your Warlord stats, but they aren't useless. Put a okay score into CHA (say, 12) and let the Half-Elf bonus increase it to 14: that'll help with any Charisma bonuses you have on skills you use (such as Inspiring Word). CON is not necessarily bad: if you put a 12 into CON, then your Half-Elf bonus will increase it to 14. The +1 to all stats at level 10 will increase it to 15, and you can pick up the Hide Specialization feat after that.

Beyond that: best stat in STR, 2nd best in INT.

You've said you wanted to multiclass into Wizard - any idea which move to pick up? Thunderwave is a good choice, especially if you want to move people around. Be careful, though: unless you want to hold a wand or orb your other hand, you'll be missing up to a +6 on the attack roll for that. Also, the Half-Elf's Dilettante allow you to choose another at-will power from any class as an encounter power. The Fighter's Tide of Iron comes to mind, but you have to be using a shield (and thus, no orb/wand).

For feats, Tactial Assault is just absurb for a high INT tactical Warlord: combined with Tactical Presence, any of your allies who spend an action point gain a damage bonus equal to your INT bonus, and a hit bonus equal to half you INT bonus. Action Surge can give yourself a similar bonus. Improved Initiative is always good, as is Defensive Mobility. Shield Proficiency (Heavy) is nice if you want a bigger shield, and Human Perseverance is good with the paragon specialization feats.

In paragon tier, Armor Specialization (Hide) will get rid of the penalities for wearing armor. Combat Commander is very useful for a tactical Warlord, as your INT will be higher than your DEX. The basic feat Weapon Focus becomes a bit better, and you can probably pick up feats relating to your chosed weapon now (ie. Heavy Blade Opportunity if you're using a longsword).

For powers, I already talked about good Wizard/Dilettante powers, so I'll skip those. In At-Wills, Commander's Strike lets another person attack and adds your INT modifier as bonus damage. Viper's Strike prevents an opponent from shifting (rather, gives an ally a free attack if they do) while Wolf Pack Tactics allows one ally to shift. Warlord's Favor is the best Encounter power for a tactical Warlord, and Lead the Attack is simply excellent with a high INT.

If you're playing an Inspiring Warlord, then the suggestions change a bit. Let us know which you're using!