PDA

View Full Version : Toned-down Phoelarch character class

SolkaTruesilver
2008-07-24, 12:07 AM
Hi there. My DM is asking me if such a toning-down for the Phoelarch (MM3) would be appropriate.

5 Levels of Monstrous Humanoid
3 Level adjustment

Capacity: Immunity to Fire, Vulnerability to Cold, Sorching Ray 10th CL (At Will), Light 10th CL (At Will), Spell Resistance 18

No physical or mental modification.

So, my questions:

1) Is it balanced? Overpowered? Underpowered?
2) Your suggestions to make it balanced. He plans to make an Abjurant Champion out of it, so probably 1 Wizard level, and then Abjurant Champion. He will join a 10th-level party.

Baalthazaq
2008-07-24, 01:40 AM
I should probably introduce some extra information at this point.

(I'm the DM in question).

1) Fire immunity is actually not 100%, it's 133%. (He gets slightly healed by fire just like the original Phoelarch).
2) The SR is SET at 18, it's not 11+HD as the Phoelarch might be.
3) He's not getting any adjustment to abilities.

The reason this is not being penalized more heavily is because I'm running a no-healing campaign, so I've been generous to the other players.

The mage has effectively permanent sanctuary until she attacks. (Feats from the book of erotic fantasy oddly enough).

The rogue has fast healing as a result of an in game event (I created some spiders which kept their victims alive with poison that gave them fast healing and str drain, thus being able to eat them alive for weeks before outgrowing the host and devouring them completely while they're paralyzed. He managed to get the spiders removed, and kept the fast healing).

The Warrior had some damage reduction on his adamantine armor.

So this guy gets the heal by fire ability and effectively (8-16) healing every time he gives up a round to scorching ray himself. (Effectively Cure light wounds, self only).

He still gets the ability on his death to explode.
I didn't give penalties for this as it can be as much a hazard to the overall party as well as himself. He doesn't choose when to do it, which means in a confined space, he is just as likely to wipe the party as save them.

I also didn't give any penalties for the "Summon Phoenix on death" ability because it coincides with not being able to resurrect the character anymore. Effectively ending the character at that point. (Unless they have a spare wish or miracle).

Erm, yeah that's it. I wasn't really ready to forum it until I had bashed the idea around a bit more, but saying as it's here, I'd appreciate the help.

The character (plus his concept for the character) fits *perfectly* in the storyline, and can enter the game immediately from where the characters are, which is why I was eager to turn it into a level 10 character instead of a level 12 monster.

Overall, I'd vote that this is mildly underpowered when compared to the other players. (Although I also think that the original Phoelarch itself is underpowered as a player character, as they seem to be giving penalties for abilities that are at best neutral, don't come into everyday gameplay, are a hindrance when they do, and in the wrong circumstances, are a party wiper).

Baalthazaq
2008-07-24, 06:24 AM
Something to balance it against:

Drow. (2 levels)
Wizard (2 levels)
Barbarian? (4 levels)
Abjurant Champion (2 levels)

Currently the Phoelarch has
5 M.Humanoid levels.
1 Wizard level
1 Abj Champ

DracoDei
2008-07-24, 09:18 AM
With those 5 Monsterous Humanoid HD this is actually looking suspiciously close to LA +0 to ME for an ordinary champaign... SR 18 is very nice, and so are unlimited out of battle healing and fire immunity, but those are the only major things it has going for it... given the campaign I am seeing LA +1 or maybe +2.

Baalthazaq
2008-07-24, 10:17 AM
With those 5 Monsterous Humanoid HD this is actually looking suspiciously close to LA +0 to ME for an ordinary champaign... SR 18 is very nice, and so are unlimited out of battle healing and fire immunity, but those are the only major things it has going for it... given the campaign I am seeing LA +1 or maybe +2.

Well I'm worried just because the original has LA +5 AND 7 M.Humanoid dice.

I keep going over it and thinking "What am I missing".