PDA

View Full Version : Questions about yet another gish [DnD 3.5]

Filschi
2008-07-24, 06:03 AM
Hello all,

We recently started a new DnD 3.5 Campaign and I play the only arcane spellcaster in the Group ( in addition there is an archer, a cleric, a rogue and a fighter).

But because i find it boring to be the arcane artillery i wanted to be a gish.
The characters are all at level 3 by now.

So, to make it short: I wanted to take 1 Level of Spellsword at Level 9 and I am wondering if 3 more lvls of SpSw (for channeling) are worth the set back in spell progression.

P.S. I am sorry if there are any mistakes, but english is not my native tongue.

Deepblue706
2008-07-24, 03:22 PM
You have to put a lot of consideration in the expected power level of your group when determining this.

Personally, I think Spellsword is a badass class, and would encourage you to continue taking levels in it (beyond 1) if most of the other players are just going for what seems "cool" with little regard to power. So long as your group's only concern is taking on appropriate CR encounters, you probably don't have to worry about falling short in your duties, or being overshadowed.

Taking more levels of Spellsword will slow your spell progression by 2 whole levels, meaning that if you hadn't already lost any spell progression, you'd be getting level 9 spells at level 19 (assuming your casting class is a wizard). Assuming you took a level in Fighter as part of your gish build, that makes it level 20, earliest. Be aware of this limitation. While channel is pretty sweet, and more levels in the class will probably help you to support your concept better, you will probably end up significantly weaker than if you took just 1 level of spellsword.

Still though, I think it's most important to go with what you like most. And hey, even if you lose caster levels, you've likely still got some fairly decent magic, and that's pretty sweet no matter how you look at it. Just make sure you play smart - a successful gish needs to be clever with both his spells and when he decides to engage in melee.

Covered In Bees
2008-07-24, 03:25 PM
So, to make it short: I wanted to take 1 Level of Spellsword at Level 9 and I am wondering if 3 more lvls of SpSw (for channeling) are worth the set back in spell progression.

Pretty much nothing is worth the setback in spell progression. (Especially when you're the group's primary caster!)

What books can you use?

Stupendous_Man
2008-07-24, 03:27 PM
you ll have horrible hp for fighting

_Puppetmaster_
2008-07-24, 03:41 PM
Duskblade spell channeling works with other casting classes as well, so you could take a level of duskblade and then go eldritch knight.

Covered In Bees
2008-07-24, 03:43 PM
Duskblade spell channeling works with other casting classes as well, so you could take a level of duskblade and then go eldritch knight.

It also stops you from full attacking, and don't you not get it until level 3? Sounds like a bad plan to me.

Filschi
2008-07-25, 02:36 AM
Thanks for your answers.
We have access to every official DnD 3.5 book incl. the forgotten realms.
My only limitation is the plausibility regarding my chosen PrC...

So, my group expects me to save their butts in times of trouble..., but i was thinking that this should be possible even without 9th level spells.

Acutally i am level 3 and would continue as follows:

Fighter1/Sorcerer6/Spellsword4/Abjurant Champion5/Eldritch Knight4

I would lose 4 CL by that...
Any alternative to the EK?

Thy in advance

Chronicled
2008-07-25, 10:28 AM
Instead of being an arcane artillery battery, why not be the arcane controller? Much easier to optimize than a gish, much stronger than a gish, and more fun than just blasting (or being a gish).