PDA

View Full Version : O-Chul VS Redcloak

Haleyintraining
2008-07-24, 02:05 PM
Who's better, (in your opinion,) O-Chul or Redcloak? Also, at the start of your post, write SoD if you've read Start of Darkness or NO if you haven't.

O-Chul (NO)-5
O-Chul (SoD)- 4
Redcloak (NO)- 9
Redcloak (SoD)- 18

Remember: I can't count your vote if you don't say if you've read SoD or not.

Redcloak is in the lead for both divisions.

Vote away!

Lissou
2008-07-24, 02:21 PM
(SoD) Redcloak.
He's my favourite character, and O-Chul, although I like him, isn't about to change that.

Green Bean
2008-07-24, 02:35 PM
I've read SoD, but I still gotta vote for O-Chul. While Redcloak's well-intentioned extremism makes him a complex and nuanced character, O-Chul punched out an acid breathing shark, so he wins. :smallbiggrin:

Kato
2008-07-24, 03:01 PM
Hm... as much as I like O-Chul, RC is just better developed and has more backstory... So it's him I guess.
I didn't read SoD but picked of a lot on the forums... might count as reading.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-07-24, 03:22 PM
O-Chul, I have not read Start of Darkness.

Redcloak does have the spells, but O-Chul can take them given his high stats in Strength, Fortitude, and HP. O-Chul also has the Smite Evil thing going for him, an unspecified mount (to counter Redcloak's summons), and his badassitude.

It would be an epic fight, but O-Chul would more likely win in my opinion.

Morty
2008-07-24, 03:50 PM
I haven't read Start of Darkness, but Redcloak wins. O-Chul is a decent character for a paladin, but he can't match Redcloak's sarcasm, wits, genre-savviness and being a goblin.

Theodoriph
2008-07-24, 03:56 PM
(SOD) Redcloak

Nerdanel
2008-07-24, 04:38 PM
(SoD) Redcloak is awesome.

Fragon
2008-07-24, 04:49 PM
(NO) O-chul..

Logalmier
2008-07-24, 05:30 PM
SoD: Redcloak. I still remember that

Nameless Hobgoblin: Here's the lampshade you requested supreme leader.

Redcloak: Oh, just hang it anywhere.:smallsmile:

David Argall
2008-07-24, 06:13 PM
Now what is the definition of "better" here?

If we talk about combat ability, O'Chul is no better than the 3rd ranking paladin we have seen. He's maybe 10th level. Redcloak is 16th level. No comparison really.

If we talk about a character, O'Chul is just not much at all. He's just another paladin. He has been featured of late, but he simply behaves as a paladin. He is pretty close to cardboard.
So Redcloak again wins in a walk.

Haleyintraining
2008-07-24, 06:38 PM
Now what is the definition of "better" here?

If we talk about combat ability, O'Chul is no better than the 3rd ranking paladin we have seen. He's maybe 10th level. Redcloak is 16th level. No comparison really.

If we talk about a character, O'Chul is just not much at all. He's just another paladin. He has been featured of late, but he simply behaves as a paladin. He is pretty close to cardboard.
So Redcloak again wins in a walk.

2 things:
1, if you don't say if you've read SoD or not I can't count your vote.
2, better means, Which character do you prefer?

Lupy
2008-07-24, 07:28 PM
(SoD)

Redcloak is better and he could pwn the heck out of O-chul.

Mercenary Pen
2008-07-24, 07:40 PM
(NO)-Draw

If it came down to a straight-up fight, O-Chul might have an edge, but Redcloak would likely have a trick up his sleeve, which would be used sooner than you could say 'mutually-assured destruction'

TigerHunter
2008-07-24, 07:45 PM
Redcloak. (SoD)

Paladin29
2008-07-24, 07:48 PM
(NO) O-Chul

Hey!, donīt look me like that, The paladins must support our comrades. :smalltongue:

FujinAkari
2008-07-24, 10:02 PM
(SoD) Redcloak

O-chul is a nice guy, but is little more than fringe scenery next to RC.

Remirach
2008-07-24, 10:13 PM
well I could let my sig speak for itself, but...

(SoD) Redcloak

AmberVael
2008-07-24, 10:21 PM
(SoD) Redcloak.
He's just a more interesting character than O-Chul, possibly because I know more about him and motives though.

David Argall
2008-07-24, 11:02 PM
2 things:
1, if you don't say if you've read SoD or not I can't count your vote.
2, better means, Which character do you prefer?

SoD, Redcloak

Admiral_Kelly
2008-07-24, 11:08 PM
Oh wait - this is to see which character is more popular not who would win in a fight? :smalltongue:

(NO) Redcloak. More interesting and more depth.

Penquin47
2008-07-25, 12:36 AM
(SoD) Redcloak.

Trazoi
2008-07-25, 12:47 AM
Redcloak (SoD) - although he was also my favourite before I read SoD.

factotum
2008-07-25, 01:02 AM
SoD, Redcloak. Is there actually any competition here? :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2008-07-25, 02:32 AM
SoD, Redcloak. Is there actually any competition here? :smallbiggrin:

I completely agree.

Fragon
2008-07-25, 05:27 AM
(SoD) O-Chul

Liwen
2008-07-25, 06:11 AM
(SoD), but it's been a while. Anyway I remember enough

Redcloak. Far more original and conflictual character. Who's being tied up and interrogated between the two right now :p

aapje
2008-07-25, 10:41 AM
(No) Redcloak

Sarcasm beats all other forms of humour. Always!

drachefly
2008-07-25, 10:52 AM
(NO) Redcloak.

I like O-Chul, but Redcloak has had much more screen time, even without SoD.

Linkavitch
2008-07-25, 01:28 PM
(NO) O-chul. He's a samurai type person, and Redcloak is a goblin cleric. Admittedly, a powerful one, but samurai are so much cooler! They're almost like... ninjas!

An Enemy Spy
2008-07-26, 01:18 AM
This isn't really much of a contest. :redcloak: is the brains behind the whole storyline and O-chul is just a fairly minor NPC.
:redcloak: > O-Chul

dps
2008-07-26, 07:17 AM
This isn't really much of a contest. :redcloak: is the brains behind the whole storyline and O-chul is just a fairly minor NPC.
:redcloak: > O-Chul

Wouldn't quit go that far, but yeah, Redcloak is a much more fleshed out character so I have to vote for him.

Haven't read SoD.

Samurai Jill
2008-07-26, 08:10 AM
O-chul. He's a samurai type person, and Redcloak is a goblin cleric. Admittedly, a powerful one, but samurai are so much cooler! They're almost like... ninjas!
*sniffs, wipes a tear*

I say the forces of justice and light shall inevitably triumph over the scheming machinations of morally-conflicted blackish-grey! (...And also the pearlier shades of greyish-biege? Blackish-greyish-white? I dunno. ...I get mixed up.)

Anyhoo. ...That's all unless said Forces of Ethical Ambiguity pull some cowardly, hackneyed stunt like zapping you with cleric spells that deal a minimum of 75 damage- even if you make the save- without allowing you to close for melee engagement. In which case, O-Chul's lack of healing gives him two-three rounds, tops. With no Cha bonus, he can't use Lay on Hands or Divine Grace, and his Smites and Turning attempts are sub-par.

Sorry but as far as effective use of class features go, O-chul is the Belkar of paladins.

SkanMan
2008-07-26, 02:45 PM
(no) and i gotta say that redcloak is the man here, you can't mess with him, i mean he even bosses xykon around. besides, yall remember that epic battle against the paladin before azure city got taken over? dope lol:smallamused:

Noble Savant
2008-07-26, 06:11 PM
I've read the Start of Darkness, but I still have to say O-Chul.

I like Red-Cloak, I really do, but I can't vote for him. The conversation with the monster in the dark really touched me. It may have been just my warped imagination, but I felt some interesting melancholy around O-Chul. I suspect that he may yet have a greater role to play.

Red-Cloak has his story, and it's a very good one. But the tantalizing affect of O-Chul's yet unknown story draws me so much more. It has the potential to be quite a good one.

Mauve Shirt
2008-07-26, 09:59 PM
I have read SoD
Ooo it's really tough, but I'm going to have to go for Redcloak. O-Chul is awesome, and the MITD scene was adorable, but Redcloak is funnier, and he's also kind of the reason behind the plot.

ericgrau
2008-07-28, 03:23 PM
(NO) Redcloak.

I like Redcloak but I'm not even a big fan of his. He's simply a better developed character.

pasko77
2008-07-28, 03:27 PM
SoD: Redcloack. I love this character.

vbushido
2008-07-28, 03:58 PM
(SoD) O-Chul. His constancy of spirit is amazing. His force of will is enormous. Many put in his situation would attempt to kill themselves from grief or hopelessness, but he still perseveres through abuse.

Whereas SoD completely destroyed my respect for Redcloak as a person. He's a high level cleric that earned 1 level of the class. And Xykon today is very heavily his fault. And he killed his own brother (and saved Xykon) for his 'holy purpose' which showed how much he'd fallen before he got to the main strips.

-----
I dressed myself today!

Nevitan
2008-07-28, 04:16 PM
SoD, RedCloak is better

Number316
2008-07-30, 08:54 AM
(NO) - Redcloak.
The book is sadly unavailable where I live :smallannoyed:

Cizak
2008-08-04, 03:37 PM
(NO) Redcloak.

coracleboat
2008-08-04, 03:55 PM
What criteria are we judging them "better" by?

I'm just going to go by their character, and even reading SoD, I'm going to go with O-Chul. He isn't the one betraying his morals and he has a pretty strong force of will, while Redcloak is still taking a very long time to learn the lessons he should have learned years ago. Still, even saying that, I like Redcloak alot more. He's just more interesting. I have trouble having sympathy for O-Chul, too, mostly because he isn't compromising, so he isn't really losing anything (yeah the scene with him and the Monster in the Darkness was touching, but that was only because I love the MitD).

So, yeah. O-Chul is better, but he isn't very interesting to me.

CasESenSITItiVE
2008-08-04, 05:35 PM
[SoD] i have to go with redcloak, whose depth in character and witty humor beat out o-chul's moments of awesome

OITS
2008-08-04, 05:37 PM
(NO) Redcloak

PS: Haleyintraining, I really love your signature. Actually I hate it, because it wasn't me to come up with this idea, but well. Three thumbs up.

Fitzclowningham
2008-08-04, 10:48 PM
SOD: Noble Savant: Exactly! Couldn't have put it better.

O-chul is more admirable, more of a hero. Redcloak is tarnished, tainted, tragic.

Slamexo
2008-08-05, 05:37 PM
(NO) Redcloak all the way!