PDA

View Full Version : Mutants & Masterminds Edition Changes

Burley
2008-07-24, 02:26 PM
I was gifted the M&M 2ed book for my burfday, and I'm loving it. My friends and I are going to start working on stuff soon, and it's gonna be great.
One of the afore mentioned friends mentioned a supplement called Gimmick's Guide to Gadgets. I looked it up online, and it looks like a really fun supplement.
So, what should I look out for if I'm using 1st edition books in a 2nd edition game?
Also, I've read on this forum a couple times that 1st edition is very similar to 3.5ed D&D. Would I be able to carry anything over to my D&D campaign (not computers, but certain feats that could be thrown into fantasy settings) with less that horrible difficulty?

Basically, is it worth my time now, or would it just be pretty pictures? (And, yeah...cute robo-chick on the cover was probably what hooked me. :smallredface:)

Green Bean
2008-07-24, 02:55 PM
Basically, is it worth my time now, or would it just be pretty pictures? (And, yeah...cute robo-chick on the cover was probably what hooked me. :smallredface:)

From what I've heard, it would mainly be pretty pictures. The edition change obsoletes most if not all of the variant rules contained therein, many of which weren't really necessary in 1e.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-07-24, 05:50 PM
Not that familiar with 1st edition, but a quick read of the core book suggests the changes are broad if not deep, especially as characters and powers go. Skills, feats, abilities, and powers have some fundamental differences - for one thing, abilities are apparently capped and Enhanced Ability works differently, a lot of feats are powers, speed works entirely differently (in a way that is just hilariously stupid in a genre that should be able to accommodate The Flash!)...

Dairun Cates
2008-07-24, 05:52 PM
Actually, if memory serves, the variant rules are obsolete, but some of the gadget stuff is actually easily converted. The system took a huge 180, but the point buy part of the system actually made little changes. At the very least, it should make for some interesting idea hooks. Also, should be pretty cheap now.