PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Conversion Curiosity

Blackdrop
2008-07-24, 03:29 PM
With all of this talk about 4e being "similar" to video games or MMOs, I got to thinkin':

What do you think would make for a good Variant Rule set for D&D 4e?

Me? Well my opinion is moot since I have my thoughts.

FINAL FANTASY

I'm just curious what y'alls thoughts are.

AKA_Bait
2008-07-24, 03:37 PM
Before I give a list, I just like to make it clear that I don't view the system being able to support a game in these settings as a bad thing. If anything, it's good that the system is flexible enough.

The two that spring readily to mind:

Dragonball Z (or any of the dragonballs really)
X-Men (or the general marvel setting)

Covered In Bees
2008-07-24, 03:38 PM
Dragonball Z (or any of the dragonballs really)

I... no. Just no.
How would you even model the 20 minutes of constipated grunting?

Yakk
2008-07-24, 03:45 PM
I... no. Just no.
Skill challenges.

Frosty
2008-07-24, 03:50 PM
I... no. Just no.

I wonder if that provokes Attacks of Opportunities...

MammonAzrael
2008-07-24, 04:12 PM
I wonder if that provokes Attacks of Opportunities...

Yes. But you can skip the AoO to decrease the casting time of your power up by 3 rounds.

chronoplasm
2008-07-24, 04:48 PM
I've seen attempts to make a Street Fighter rpg before. I wonder how that would work with 4E?

Actually, screw that.

Hellboy. 'Nuff said.

Kaje
2008-07-24, 05:18 PM
Final Fantasy would be a good one. While I disagree with the notion that 4E is like an MMO, the combat system does share quite a bit with Final Fantasy Tactics. A black mage is a wizard, a white mage is a cleric in robes. I'd love to see a Dragoon.

Starsinger
2008-07-24, 06:48 PM
Final Fantasy would be a good one. While I disagree with the notion that 4E is like an MMO, the combat system does share quite a bit with Final Fantasy Tactics. A black mage is a wizard, a white mage is a cleric in robes. I'd love to see a Dragoon.

The problem with a white mage using 4e (cuz believe me I've tried) is that a White Mage's staple abilities (cure, protect, shell, esuna, etc) are a bit strong for at wills. Still, it is a fantastical endeavor to be sure, and one that I would love to see results of.

Tengu_temp
2008-07-24, 07:35 PM
Disgaea. In fact, I'm working on it.

Blackdrop
2008-07-24, 11:13 PM
The only foreseeable problems with a Final Fantasy conversion, is what the bajeebus I'm going to do for the ~79 (I think) abilities for Fighter/Thief/or any of the other physical jobs. Hell, even the Mage classes are going to be a problem, with the top tier spells, (Ultima, Arise, etc.) probably becoming Rituals.

TheOOB
2008-07-24, 11:30 PM
I could see 4e working very well for an Avatar: The Last Airbender system, of course that would probably tee off the people who have spent a lot of time and effort to make it work for 3e.