PDA

View Full Version : The Last Question

Lord Iames Osari
2008-07-24, 04:06 PM
The Last Question (http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html), by Isaac Asimov.

What do people think of it?

Zeta Kai
2008-07-24, 10:24 PM
The Last Question (http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html), by Isaac Asimov.

What do people think of it?

Ah, I haven't read that in years. Well, some people say that it's the best science fiction story EVAR. I'm not quite sure of that. I can say that it is a damn good little story, & that you brightened my day by reminding me of it. Thank you.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-07-25, 12:37 AM
No problem.

Estrecca
2008-07-26, 10:50 AM
Good story, easily one of Asimov's best (if not the very best). However, as far as short sci-fi stories go, I like better two Arthur C. Clarke shorties "The Star" and "History Lesson".

DraPrime
2008-07-26, 11:11 AM
Very good. The ending is really the great part.

Cespenar
2008-07-26, 11:51 AM
Besides being a very good story, it sounds right too (to me, at least).

DraPrime
2008-07-26, 11:53 AM
Now that I think of it, this is the perfect guide to achieving divinity. All I need to do is to make myself into some sort of cybernetic supercomputer, and then survive the end of the world.

Arioch
2008-07-26, 01:56 PM
I know that it was Asimov's personal favourite. It was very good, though I prefer stories with Susan Calvin, myself. She's just such a great character, and Asimov's forays into robot psychology through her are fascinating.

I got two anthologies of Asimov's short stories as part of my school prize recently (we were given a budget to buy books we wanted to recieve on prize day) and I've thoroughly enjoyed them, though some, like "The Dead Past" were quite depressing. "Green Patches" is one of his creepiest, in my opinion, even though it ends well. "Nightfall" is another good one.

Helanna
2008-07-27, 11:07 AM
I read that a few years ago in a computer class I was taking. I haven't thought about it in ages.

I do like this story though. It's weird to think that the universe will indeed end. It's not something most people think about, but it's something more people should be reminded of. How many people would relax more once they realize nothing they do will matter in the end as mankind and the universe itself dies?

Of course, that's probably the pessimistic view . . .

Bryn
2008-07-27, 11:23 AM
I do like this story though. It's weird to think that the universe will indeed end. It's not something most people think about, but it's something more people should be reminded of. How many people would relax more once they realize nothing they do will matter in the end as mankind and the universe itself dies?

"Pup" ponders the heat death of the universe... (http://www.drewweing.com/pup/13pup.html)

Cespenar
2008-07-27, 12:43 PM
I read that a few years ago in a computer class I was taking. I haven't thought about it in ages.

Of course, that's probably the pessimistic view . . .

Having an end doesn't make something unimportant. Quite the contrary, actually.

Zeta Kai
2008-07-29, 02:47 PM
Having an end doesn't make something unimportant. Quite the contrary, actually.

What I think Death Dragon means is that nothing we do will make a difference, as the final outcome (a universe filled with nothing but a thin, cold gas) is the same. All will end, & when it does, Death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_%28DC_Comics%29)will be there to turn out the lights.

Cespenar
2008-07-29, 03:16 PM
I've fully understood what she said, and I've produced an answer from the opposite point of view. Neither are false.

Rollin
2008-08-01, 06:26 AM
I've fully understood what she said, and I've produced an answer from the opposite point of view. Neither are false.

Who was it said: the opposite of an ordinary truth is a falsehood; the opposite of a great truth is another great truth?