PDA

View Full Version : I need to gain weight.

Collin152
2008-07-24, 04:57 PM
So, you know how most people need to control their weeight or they keep getting it?
By means of not paying attention to my food intake or excercise, or possibly from an ailment unknown, I'm losing weight, and have been for some time.
I'm down to 100 pounds today! At 5 feet 5 inches, I don't think that's particularly healthy.

So, help me with this. I'd like to regain some weight... before I die.

Player_Zero
2008-07-24, 04:59 PM
Have you considered that this may be a medical problem, in that it may be a symptom of a disease, or even a psychological illness?

Collin152
2008-07-24, 05:00 PM
Yes.
Yes I have.
I'm still losing weight.

Tormsskull
2008-07-24, 05:01 PM
Have you considered that this may be a medical problem, in that it may be a symptom of a disease, or even a psychological illness?

Assuming none of this is true, do it the healthy way. Try that weight gain supplement stuff, also comes in shakes I think.

Player_Zero
2008-07-24, 05:02 PM
Yes.
Yes I have.
I'm still losing weight.

Then go eat something and get an appointment with the doctor in the morning.

Spiryt
2008-07-24, 05:05 PM
I'm down to 100 pounds today! At 5 feet 5 inches, I don't think that's particularly healthy.

If you don't mind answering - how old are you?

It's pretty important factor.

Ego Slayer
2008-07-24, 05:08 PM
I'm sorta in the same boat. I'm 5'5'' and definitely don't weigh as much as I should. Except I'm not losing weight... I just can't/don't gain any.

*feeds Collin pie, lots of pie*

Collin152
2008-07-24, 05:12 PM
If you don't mind answering - how old are you?

It's pretty important factor.

I am 17.

And losing 20 pounds in such a short span of time isn't really healthy for anybody. Unless you meant to. Sometimes.

Spiryt
2008-07-24, 05:20 PM
Well, low weight can be still perfectly normal when you are 17.

I remember that I was almost 20 pounds lighter when I was 17.

Losing 20 pounds in short time (what's short time BTW ?) certainly isn't healthy, although it depends what you have lost. If it's fat, it's no very bad. If your other tissues are loosing weight, it's indeed not very good.

Collin152
2008-07-24, 05:24 PM
Well, the thing is, I can see my ribcage in its entirety.
I look like skin on skeleton, you know the look?

Calamity
2008-07-24, 05:25 PM
Huh. I'm around the same weight as you, Colin. And I'm only a year younger. I'm definetely underweight though. I try to gain more.

Although that 20 pound loss is worrying, I've never lost weigt like that.

Gorbash
2008-07-24, 05:29 PM
Eat at McDonald's? It seems to be working fine for obese people.

Player_Zero
2008-07-24, 05:29 PM
I'm eighteen, not very tall and I'm almost ten stone and I would say this is an alright weight. On the low side of average I believe.

You guys need to eat more... Rapid weight loss is a symptom of quite a few illnesses, too. You should get some tests run just in case.

Collin152
2008-07-24, 05:31 PM
Hmmm...
If it's a symptom of Rheumatoid Arthritis, I already know what's going on. Lemme run a few google tests.

Well, it seems to occur sometimes, and I am genetically predisposed to the thing. Daaaaaaaaaamn. I hope this isn't it.

Spiryt
2008-07-24, 05:35 PM
Well, the thing is, I can see my ribcage in its entirety.
I look like skin on skeleton, you know the look?

Yeah, maany young boys look like that. I can see 5, maybe six of my ribs, now, but I'm sure I could see almost all of them when I was, dunno, 15?

Anyway, for advices :

If your weight loss worries you, see the doctor.

And if you really wnat to gain some weight see Crow's Workout thread (1st page FBanter somewhere), or contact Crow's anyhow. He seems to be know much about it.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-24, 05:58 PM
I'm 14, 5'9", and 130 lbs.

Which makes me seem taller than I am, and thinner than I am.
I used to be able to play Xylophone on my chest.

Purple Cloak
2008-07-24, 06:10 PM
I'd say a good way to build up is increseing proten intake and building up some muscles.

As Spiryt mantoned, Crow has good workout advise if you choise that path.

If thats too much effort theirs always lazying around and gorgeing, but thats not particularly healthy either.

Collin152
2008-07-24, 06:13 PM
I'll just follow the advice of Dr. Nick Riveria.
"A slow steady gorging process combined with assal horizontology."
Or maybe with muscle mass replacement.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-07-24, 06:20 PM
Collin, rapid weighloss is n ungood sign. I HIGHLY recommend you see a doctor as soon as you can about it. My first guess would be that you picked up a happy little parasite devouring the nutrients before your body can use them. GET THEE TO A DOCTOR!

What are you wasting your time opening this spoiler for?!? I told you to get to the doctor! So go...NOW!

zeratul
2008-07-24, 06:32 PM
As you're rather low on the height spectrum 100 isn't terrible, but I'd still get it checked out. Also make sure you exercise more, it could be that it's due to lack of muscle (muscle weighs more than fat).

Collin152
2008-07-24, 06:34 PM
Oh, so you're going to call me short, too?
I'm quite tall for my weight!

Lissou
2008-07-24, 06:41 PM
You're shorter than my brother and weigh more than him, if it makes you feel better, so you probably won't die immediately.
My advice would be to try and exercice a bit and have more protein and carbs to make up for what you'll use up by exercising.
By all means, DO NOT try to gein weight by eating crap. You'll gain weight but you'll also be unhealthy. All the health problems obese people can get that are linked to their eating habits, you can have while being thin is your metabolism is really high. Because it's not about the weight, it's about what you eat.

Also, how many meals do you eat? It's usually recommended to eat 4 times a day. Do you eat a lot of junk food, or do you eat more natural food like vegetable and other fresh products, and meat/fish/tofu?

All of that can help us help you.
Also, have you been stressed lately?

And finaly, do you also tend to feel warm and overactive? If so, you might have a thyroid problem (it's in your neck). You might want to have it checked if your parents have a good health insurance and if the other symptoms match.

Collin152
2008-07-24, 06:46 PM
You're shorter than my brother and weigh more than him, if it makes you feel better, so you probably won't die immediately.

It doesn't. I'll die, just slowly.

Also, how many meals do you eat? It's usually recommended to eat 4 times a day. Do you eat a lot of junk food, or do you eat more natural food like vegetable and other fresh products, and meat/fish/tofu?
Two meals. Breakfast makes me ill. I eat well.

Also, have you been stressed lately?
For the past 4 months, I'd consider calling it stress.
I think I've revised my solution to the stress to slapping someone upside the head, rather than awkward conversation. Slapping works beter.

And finaly, do you also tend to feel warm and overactive? If so, you might have a thyroid problem (it's in your neck). You might want to have it checked if your parents have a good health insurance and if the other symptoms match.
Actually, I usually feel really cold.
Odd, considering I live in a freaking desert.

Dragonrider
2008-07-24, 06:50 PM
Well, thin people often feel cold. Last summer I lost a LOT of weight unhealthily and I remember going to a barbecue in mid-August where everyone was in shorts and t-shirts, and I wore jeans and three-quarter sleeves. So it's probably a result of not having enough insulation.

Lissou
2008-07-24, 06:53 PM
It doesn't. I'll die, just slowly.

Well, we're all dying slowly...

If you're stressed, that might be it. Otherwise, if breakfast makes you sick, forcing yourself to eat sounds like a bad idea...

If it wasn't for the fact that you lost a lot of weight suddenly, I'd probably tell you not to worry too much. Many people seem to think there is a "healthy weight" that's common to any human, but the truth is it's really individual, and your healthy weight might be dangerously underweight for other people, just like someone else's healthy weight could be dangerously overweight for other people.

But suddenly losing doesn't seem right. Suddenly gaining, at your age, would make more sense. I don't really know what caused it, so I'm afraid I can't help... But keep us informed if you can, I guess.

Collin152
2008-07-24, 06:55 PM
Law of conservation of human body weight.
Somebody must have gained a bunch of weight, and I'm losing it for them.

Spiryt
2008-07-24, 06:57 PM
Well, thin people often feel cold. Last summer I lost a LOT of weight unhealthily and I remember going to a barbecue in mid-August where everyone was in shorts and t-shirts, and I wore jeans and three-quarter sleeves. So it's probably a result of not having enough insulation.

That depends. I'm pretty think but also rather cold resistand. Although it also depends on what is "thin" and what's not.

Anyway, sure but if it's hot, ( I interpete freaking deset that way), it's no reason to feel cold.

Some doctor will surely help IMO, even though it's most probably nothing wrong - knowing why is always nice, isn't it?

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-24, 07:48 PM
it may just be a high metabolism?

i've never had much in the way of body fat. The only way i put on weight is through eating more and working out/training. But i was also very very skinny until about 20-21

eat more saturated fats and lots of complex carbs. Also - eat things like porridge for breakfast as it lowers your metabolism.

Player_Zero
2008-07-24, 07:50 PM
Law of conservation of human body weight.
Somebody must have gained a bunch of weight, and I'm losing it for them.

Does that mean that 2,000 years ago everyone weighed five tonnes?

Purple Cloak
2008-07-24, 08:10 PM
Does that mean that 2,000 years ago everyone weighed five tonnes?

I do not comprehend, Will you explain that please?

Player_Zero
2008-07-24, 08:14 PM
If there is a certain 'weight pool' shall we say that have been conserved throughout history then the sum of the current weights, i.e. the current total of this weight pool, will be equal to that of the pool two thousand years ago. However, since there was about one thirtyth of the population back then they must've been thirty times greater in mass. Thus they would've been five tonnes.

Purple Cloak
2008-07-24, 08:17 PM
Ah fair enough, but it might me an 'average mass per individual' system.

Collin152
2008-07-24, 08:20 PM
Nah, it's that more mass is pulled into the system as we turn more cows into humans.

Purple Cloak
2008-07-24, 08:22 PM
Fair enough then.

Wait, does that mean that eating beef makes me a canabal?

Player_Zero
2008-07-24, 08:22 PM
Ah fair enough, but it might me an 'average mass per individual' system.
That'd make no sense. Your idea is bad and you should feel bad.

Also, eat moorish things. Like pringles. But beware. For within every tube of pringles there is a camera. Mr. Pringle is watching. Always watching. Watching and waiting. One day he might come up to your bed in the night when you're fast asleep. Slowly he would reach down and take you by the neck. Squeezing your life out. Feeding on your gasps as he stares into your soul with his cold, dead eyes. Or maybe... He never will... Maybe it's all just paranoia. But make sure you lock doors tight at night... Though I don't suppose it will matter to one such as him.

Collin152
2008-07-24, 08:24 PM
Fair enough then.

Wait, does that mean that eating beef makes me a canabal?

It's not a human yet.

TRM
2008-07-24, 10:23 PM
For within every tube of pringles there is a camera. Mr. Pringle is watching. Always watching. Watching and waiting

I'm sure you won't mind if that sig that.

Jack Squat
2008-07-24, 10:39 PM
ungood

What's with the newspeak?

Anyways, I'm about six foot, and 130-ish pounds. That's about 50 pounds short of what people say I need to be. This is due to a low fat percentage, although it doesn't seem to be as low as yours. I can see 2 rows of my ribs, a third depending on how I stand and such. My problem is that I just can't gain weight. The thing is though, I'm perfectly healthy. However, I also haven't suddenly lost weight.

I think it's doubleplusgood to go to a doctor and have this checked out, it could be some illness, it could also be that you've got a tapeworm or some other parasite. Either way, it's not normal. In the meantime, eat more snacks, and make sure you remember to eat throught the day.

Just something I'd bring up, there's a condition most likely to occur in thin males where air escapes your inner lung lining into your outer lung. This causes your lung to start to collapse, in which case you'll need to have the air sucked out of there. It's symptoms include acute pain in the chest and trouble breathing. This is more likely to occur if you've had a puncture wound in your chest, but can just happen as well. Again, us thin guys are most likely to get this, if that's any motivation to try and reverse these effects.

Mountain_Faerie
2008-07-24, 10:47 PM
I agree with Bor. You need to go to the doc and rule out a parasite. They are more common than you suspect.

If it is not a parasite, you need to change your eating and exercise more. If you drink things like milk, get one with a higher fat content. Eat more proteins and eat small meals more often. 4-6 meals/day. If you hate breakfast, you can take something with you to eat mid morning. Then lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner, and nighttime snack. Pick up a 30 minute exercise plan. You know, bike to a friend's house, jog, whatever you like to do. It will increase your muscle mass and give you more of an appetite for all the little meals.

I know these things because we had to change our daughter's diet to help her gain weight. She had almost fallen off the growth chart for weight. The doc recommended this weight gaining program and it has helped. She has gained 5 pounds in the past 3 months.

TheLogman
2008-07-24, 10:49 PM
Do you eat at least three meals (As in balanced food until you are full) a day? I used to skip breakfast, and it hurt my health quite a bit.

I do not recommend eating junk food, or other sugary things, as you seek to gain a normal, healthy weight, not go to the other side of the spectrum.

You may have a vitamin or mineral deficiency, look at the recommended daily amounts online, and try to hit that or even more for the ones you cannot overdose on (Like C, vitamin C is good).

Do you go great lengths of time hungry, only eating at times that are convenient? Perhaps try eating whenever you are hungry, your body could be trying to go through a growth spurt, but can't because of a lack of necessary materials. If food is hard to get to at school, try sneaking snacks in between classes, or eating extra at lunch or after school.

Muscle weighs more than fat, perhaps you don't have enough muscles? Once again, try consuming the recommended amount of vitamins and minerals, plus protein, and even extra calories after extensive physical activity. Try working in a regular exercise schedule.

If you are hungry all the time, and eat and eat, but never are satisfied, it may be a hookworm or other parasite. I know it sounds immature, but how are your bowel movements? If they are rare, or seemingly random, it may mean the food isn't going where its supposed to go.

EDIT!!!!: You say you don't eat breakfast because it makes you feel ill? I know a few people (including myself at one time), that felt a sort of morning sickness that made them less likely to eat breakfast. Do you have regular stomach aches/pains? If so, that may be why you have the sickness. If not, perhaps the foods you usually eat just aren't the kinds you enjoy in the morning. What sounds good to eat in the morning? Try eating that.

If you're going to skip breakfast altogether, you have to get those calories and nutrients somehow. Good times would be hours after you wake up, but before lunch (Brunch), a time between lunch and dinner (Lunner), or perhaps a time after dinner (4th meal). Try to figure out what time you go the most without eating and arrange to eat in the middle of that, this could be at any time depending on your personal sleep cycle.

Phae Nymna
2008-07-25, 12:45 AM
Hmmm... I would suggest trying to build muscle and a little fat too. Drink protein shakes and go to the gym. Also, consult a professional to find out if you're going crazy (jk). It could be a tape worm too. Gesundheit mein liebling.

-Admiral

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-25, 12:54 AM
I agree completely with Bor and Mountain_Faerie. I managed to put of some weight after I turned 17 after being slightly underweight for years. What do you eat in a typical day? I'd also see a doctor or alternative medicine pactitioner about breakfast making you feel ill.

Jae
2008-07-25, 01:53 AM
I'm in about the same situation. Although my weight fluctuates, my lowest tends to be around 96 and highest at about 103. Generally I sit around 98 or 99. (I'm about 5'3..okay, 5'2 and a half =[)

I wouldn't call it a drastic weight change, as it goes up and down slightly between that range. However, starting high school I weight about 115 so I am pretty low. Underweight, always, just the extent of it becomes more/less severe.

I dont much consider it a problem because it's not like it's really affecting my life. However, I am getting rather sick of people joking about how if they hug me they just may break me or that I never can finish a meal etcetc. I do eat, and Im not sure why Im so thin anymore.

If I could weigh a little bit more, I may be happy. I generally celebrate when I hit over a hundred, though it almost always fall back down. If nothing else, I'm afraid people will actually be concerned in seriousness.

Calamity
2008-07-25, 04:32 AM
Huh. I'm around the same weight as you, Colin. And I'm only a year younger. I'm definetely underweight though. I try to gain more.

Although that 20 pound loss is worrying, I've never lost weigt like that.

Oh man, I would seriously like to retract this previous statement and apologise deeply. I made a grave miscalculation here. I'm actually 9 stone. So I was out by about 25 pounds....

But that means I have put on a lot of weight from last year.

AslanCross
2008-07-25, 04:58 AM
Eat at McDonald's? It seems to be working fine for obese people.
I think this is a case of two wrongs not making a right. It may be a hormonal problem, Colin. I know of people who gain weight too fast because of a thyroid problem, so it may work the other way as well. Best to see a doctor.

How quickly did you lose weight? The quickest I've lost weight is 10 pounds in about a month due to regular workouts (4x a week) and eating slightly less than usual. However, I've trouble losing any more.

Dihan
2008-07-25, 05:13 AM
I'm 18, 5'11" and I weigh just under 9 stone... I feel like I'm in an AA Meeting.

Anyway, I eat quite a lot but I just have a fast metabolism. I've been this weight ever since I had my eating disorder part of my life - that was a while ago. I have put on weight since then though.

Spiryt
2008-07-25, 05:22 AM
I'm 18, 5'11" and I weigh just under 9 stone... I feel like I'm in an AA Meeting.

That's not so thin, I'v got a friend who is a bit more than 6ft 3'' tall, and he wieghts about 145 pounds.

Don't worry, at least you look willowy :smallwink:

I'm 5ft 9 and 155 pounds (maybe a bit more), anyway. It's still rather thin, but I look kinda stocky sometimes, anyway :smallyuk:

Dihan
2008-07-25, 05:25 AM
That's not so thin, I'v got a friend who is a bit more than 6ft 3'' tall, and he wieghts about 145 pounds.

Don't worry, at least you look willowy :smallwink:

I'm 5ft 9 and 155 pounds (maybe a bit more), anyway. It's still rather thin, but I look kinda stocky sometimes, anyway :smallyuk:

I just weighed myself out of curiosity. I'm 8 1/2 stone which is about 119 lbs.

Mx.Silver
2008-07-25, 06:47 AM
I just weighed myself out of curiosity. I'm 8 1/2 stone which is about 119 lbs.

I'm about your age and height and that's half what I currently weigh :smalleek:
Damn, I need to lose some fat.

As for gaining the stuff Colin, I dunno. I'm the size I latched onto eating as a comfort habit around age 8 and I really don't advise you try that. I'd second seeing a doctor about it first, just in case.

xPANCAKEx
2008-07-25, 08:54 AM
skinny posters in the playground

Lissou
2008-07-25, 09:02 AM
About that breakfast thing... What's breakfast like where you live?

Are you just disgusted by food in general (I know people who are like that in the mornings) or is it just the type of breakfast where you live?

In North America for instance, they eat eggs and bacon. If that's where you live, I can understand feeling nauseous at the idea, as I personally am.

A French breakfast is a sweet meal. Traditionnally, you have one cereal (bread counts) one milk product, one fruit or more, and a hot drink.
Here are some examples:

- Half a baguette with jam/honey, a bowl of hot chocolate and a big glass of orange juice.
- A bowl of cereals with milk, a mug of hot tea and a fruit salad
- If you're in a hurry, packing an apple and buying a warm croissant or pain au chocolat on the way there.

The latter seems harder if you don't have bakeries, but then you can pack an apple and, say, a cookie, or a chocolate roll, and eat them on the way there. You don't get the "warm" part but this way you can eat on the way.

In my experience, eating fresh fruit is a lot easier than eating a lot of other things that would make me feel sick.

You might also want to start with a big glass of water so your stomach doesn't get food directly poured into it, if it's the problem.

Eating before lunch seems important either way. if you wake up at 7 or 8 but don't eat until 12 or 1pm, you're lacking food to power you through the mornings, plus as you want to gain weight, not eating is of course a bad idea;

So right now, I think I'd work on trying different things for breakfast and see what you can keep down. Also, try exercising a bit in the afternoon (not in the morning, since you'll be either empty or feeling sick).

DeathQuaker
2008-07-25, 09:18 AM
I'll break the rules and accept the consequences: only a COMPLETE MORON would be asking strangers on the Internet for advice about this--let alone on a gaming forum--when something like rapid weight loss (plus feeling really cold) has a good chance of being a symptom of a serious medical condition.

GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE, AND
GO TO A DOCTOR, NOW.

If money's an issue, there are ways to deal with it--especially if it IS a serious medical condition. Talk with the Dr's. office about payment plans and government aid, etc.

Geez. If you were physically present I'd be trying to slap some sense into you. WTF? How completely poor can a person be at taking care of themselves? DOCTOR, NOW. DOCTOR, NOW. DOCTOR, NOW. DOCTOR, NOW.

(I yell because I care.)

Mountain_Faerie
2008-07-25, 09:28 AM
The caring part is great, but please don't yell. :smallsmile: Collin, we all just want you to be healthy. We playgrounders have to stick together. Why don't you see if your family can get you a doctors appointment. I'm assuming you still live with parents, yes?

Thrawn183
2008-07-25, 09:29 AM
Sudden weight loss, especially when you're already so light can be a sign of a serious health problem. Get thy self to a house of healing immediately.

Oh wait, this is the real world, Go See A Doctor, NOW

Tirian
2008-07-25, 10:01 AM
Losing 15% of your body mass in a short period of time is alarming, especially if you didn't consciously change your dietary habits. You have two medical problems now: whatever caused the weight loss and now the fact that your body is so far out of balance that healing that problem on your own is highly unlikely. Prompt professional medical attention is the first step to recovery, even if you hate doctors more than breakfast. :smallwink:

Gorbash
2008-07-25, 11:02 AM
What's the average height in US? Seems to me it's a bit lower than in Europe, or it just happens that most of the people who posted their height/weight are below average.

Purple Cloak
2008-07-25, 11:09 AM
What is Average height?

I can't compare my height/weight because i have no idea what I weigh.

Gorbash
2008-07-25, 11:12 AM
Average height of a male person in US, forgot to add that part lol.

Spiryt
2008-07-25, 11:21 AM
Average height of a male person in US, forgot to add that part lol.

According to Wiki young white American males are about 179cm on average. I don't know how accurate is Wiki, but it seems that unsurprisingly, American white guys are about as tall as in other countries.

Gorbash
2008-07-25, 11:25 AM
183 cm (6 ft) is the norm here...

Spiryt
2008-07-25, 11:30 AM
183 cm (6 ft) is the norm here...

Define "norm". 6ft is of course totally normal and common in Poland , but average seems to be about 180, for example.

If average is 183, well, you are tall folks in Serbia.

Have any data BTW?

It's surprisingly hard to find anything about height in the Net.

Gorbash
2008-07-25, 11:47 AM
Well, other than a brief mention in Wiki that people from the Ex-Yugoslavia parts are the second most tallest people in Europe (after the Dutch, who are on average 185 cm tall), and my personal impression that that is the case (most of my friends are either my height or taller), no, not really.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-25, 11:50 AM
I'm insanely tall, aren't I.

OH, and how much is a stone?

Gorbash
2008-07-25, 11:52 AM
6.35 kg...

Collin152
2008-07-25, 12:53 PM
Breakfast Schpeal

Well, it really doesn't matter what I eat.
Even if its just a glass of water.

It still causes me to suffer intense intestinal cramps and frequently return the food taken in to the world outside.
After putting up with that for a few years, I just stopped trying, and ate a few hours after I woke up. IE, at lunch.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-25, 01:15 PM
Are you sure you don't want to try Reiki or some sort of herbal rel=medy for that? If you're interested, I'm 5'11" and I weight about 160 Lbs. (A stone is worth 14 Lbs if you're not familiar with Metric).

Lissou
2008-07-25, 02:50 PM
About average height... You knwo, it varies so much within Europe, I'm sure the US is about the same on average than Europe on average. In Eastern Europe, people are usually pretty tall while in Western Europe they're shorter (I'm 5'6' and most men seemed shorter than me in Portugal for instance).

About the weight loss, are you still losing or did it stabilise? Do your parents (or other people you might be the dependent of) know about it? Did you already see a doctor or not? Everybody seems to be suggesting it, but I thought you said in the OP that you already have... So just clarifying here.

Spiryt
2008-07-25, 02:54 PM
In Eastern Europe, people are usually pretty tall while in Western Europe they're shorter (I'm 5'6' and most men seemed shorter than me in Portugal for instance).

Are you sure you didn't have some massive heels? Western, or rather mediterranean folk tend to be pretty short, but that's seems a bit too much.

Gorbash
2008-07-25, 02:54 PM
I'm 5'6' and most men seemed shorter than me in Portugal for instance

I'm sorry, but this doesn't seem possible. That would mean that average guy is tall 165 cm, which is even lower than Asian standards, which are pretty low.

Jack Squat
2008-07-25, 05:34 PM
The average height for men in the US is about 5' 10" - 5'11" (177.8 cm-180.3cm). I'm just above average at 5'11"-6'2" (180.3 cm - 187.96) depending on where I'm measured. I just say 6 feet to make it easier.

Average healthy weight for that height is about 180. Naturally, with this being a gaming forum, it can be expected that there'll be some good extremes (people with low fat % don't have much muscle mass, other people have high fat %). There's obviously exceptions to this, but I think it's fair to say most gamers don't work out every day.

So back on topic...Collin, have you made a doctor's appointment/visited a doctor yet?

Collin152
2008-07-25, 05:37 PM
Ah, but see, the events of the world are dictated by The Writers, and they are only interested in a good story.
When was the last time you read a story where the character goes to teh Doctor's office and isn't seriously ill? I don't want to go burning bridges.

Dihan
2008-07-25, 05:39 PM
If you're worried then you should at least go and see the doctor. If there's nothing wrong then you can rest easy with that, if something is wrong then things can be done to right it... You have to pay though, right?

Spiryt
2008-07-25, 05:40 PM
I'm just above average at 5'11"-6'2" (180.3 cm - 187.96) depending on where I'm measured. I just say 6 feet to make it easier.

:smalleek:
I don't get it I must say. You are sometimes measured as 187 and sometimes as 180cm? :smallconfused:

Average healthy weight for that height is about 180.

Well, you can weight 135 pounds with that height, and be perfectly healthy. Again, it's up too definition of "healthy". You most probably would be rather weak for example.

Calamity
2008-07-25, 05:41 PM
If you're worried then you should at least go and see the doctor. If there's nothing wrong then you can rest easy with that, if something is wrong then things can be done to right it... You have to pay though, right?

In my opinion, paying for it would be worth if it tunred out you needed to see the doctor. In fact, it's worth it so you can get the peace of mind if it's not something you need to see the doctor for.

Jack Squat
2008-07-25, 06:13 PM
:smalleek:
I don't get it I must say. You are sometimes measured as 187 and sometimes as 180cm? :smallconfused:

I don't either, really...that's why I just say I'm six feet. My guess is it just depends on how inept the person who measures me is. I used to say I was 5'11, but everyone tells me I have to be taller than that, so now I go with 6'.

Well, you can weight 135 pounds with that height, and be perfectly healthy. Again, it's up too definition of "healthy". You most probably would be rather weak for example.

I weigh about 130, and am healthy by most standards. I've got about 9% body fat, which is just under the "healthy" average of 11-18% (If I remember the chart correctly...I haven't seen it in a few years). The funny thing is, I'm decently strong; as in I've yet to not be able to lift something that one person would be reasonably expected to (50 lb bags of dog food, 2 28 packs of 1/2 L water bottles, 6 12 packs of pop, moving full pallets of ice - roughly 2 tons IIRC - ...what, I work at a grocery store).

When I gave that average weight, it's what I've been told...I'm not saying it's right, nor that I fit it's description, but to my knowledge that is the accepted figure.

Spiryt
2008-07-25, 06:28 PM
The funny thing is, I'm decently strong; as in I've yet to not be able to lift something that one person would be reasonably expected to

I must say that I completely don't get this statement.

Anyway, yes, all those things are very individual and all. That's why all "norms" and "healthy averages" must be carefully treated.

Jack Squat
2008-07-25, 07:09 PM
You mentioned that at 135 lbs, someone would be considered "rather weak."

I replied that at 130 lbs, I'm not what you would consider weak. While not able to bench press a record amount of weight, I can consistently accomplish tasks that one would need a somewhat decent amount of strength to do.

Doran_Liadon
2008-07-25, 07:20 PM
well i have a friend thts 5' 3" and he is 89 pounds so i wouldn't worry.

Crow
2008-07-25, 07:20 PM
A guy at my work was on the Polish olympic powerlifting team back in the 80's. He competed at 135lbs. But he's also pretty damn short. For someone near 6 feet tall, 130 is really light. Though muscles can be "strong" through conditioning and technique, there is still a limit to their capabilities, and a tall person weighing in at 130 is likely to be pretty weak.

Jack Squat
2008-07-25, 10:30 PM
A guy at my work was on the Polish olympic powerlifting team back in the 80's. He competed at 135lbs. But he's also pretty damn short. For someone near 6 feet tall, 130 is really light. Though muscles can be "strong" through conditioning and technique, there is still a limit to their capabilities, and a tall person weighing in at 130 is likely to be pretty weak.

I'm not pretending that I've got some crazy good muscles, or that I'm typical for skinny tall people or what not. Reading back, I realize it may have come through that way, so I apologize for any misunderstandings. I was more of showing that there are exceptions. I've taken a few (six) years of martial arts, although that was awhile ago, and I've done some endurance weight training, so that probably explains why I'm not exactly typical.

I'm currently working on gaining weight for health reasons (look back earlier for the lung condition I mentioned...that's basically it), although it's coming along slowly since I don't enjoy going to gyms and lifting. I'm probably going to scrape up the old Body Pump/Combat instructional videos lying around here and do those every now and then, but I figure I'm going to have better luck keeping up some sort of kettlebell routine (20 some minutes instead of an hour). I've already made a habit of running at least 4 times a week, but I know that's more just for my cardiovascular system.

Here's the obligatory on-topic remark: Collin, been to a doctor yet?

Miklus
2008-07-27, 09:47 AM
It still causes me to suffer intense intestinal cramps and frequently return the food taken in to the world outside.

I'm with Deathquaker on this one:

GO SEE A F****** DOCTOR!

It's not the weight, but the loss of 20% of your bodyweight that alarms me. I'm guessing you have an ulsor or someting. There is something wrong for sure, and it seems to be getting worse. Healthy people don't puke in the morning. Not males, anyway.

Ask yourself: Would you be posting this here is you didn't already know someting was wrong?! All you need is a swift kick in the butt to go see that doctor! *Kicks Collin in the butt*

happyturtle
2008-07-27, 11:05 AM
I used to be really skinny and unable to gain weight. It was pretty much how I was from adolescence through until I was about 30. Then I got treated for depression, and suddenly I started packing on the pounds, until I'm now a happy, chubby 140 lbs (at 5'3").

But if I had ever lost that much weight in so short a time, I would have been camped out until the doctors until they cured me. Rapid weight loss is a symptom of F***ING CANCER. And with cancer, the earlier you catch it the better your chances of not dying slowly and painfully.

So suck it up and get your chicken-**** ass to the doctor NOW.

Lissou
2008-07-27, 11:39 AM
Are you sure you didn't have some massive heels? Western, or rather mediterranean folk tend to be pretty short, but that's seems a bit too much.

I don't wear heels, ever, so yeah, I'm pretty sure.
Now, it could be that the city I was in had shorter people on average. Or maybe it's just that some of them were shorter than me, and because it was my first time ever encountering that, they sticked out more so it feels like most of them were 5'6"ish when maybe it's was like 25%

I'm not sure, it's hard to say, as it was a few years ago and isn't really fresh in my memory. But I definitely remember walking in the street and seeing males that were shorter than me pretty much every single time.

Spiryt
2008-07-27, 11:48 AM
I don't wear heels, ever, so yeah, I'm pretty sure.
Now, it could be that the city I was in had shorter people on average. Or maybe it's just that some of them were shorter than me, and because it was my first time ever encountering that, they sticked out more so it feels like most of them were 5'6"ish when maybe it's was like 25%

I'm not sure, it's hard to say, as it was a few years ago and isn't really fresh in my memory. But I definitely remember walking in the street and seeing males that were shorter than me pretty much every single time.

5' 6'' gives about 168... If it was some smaller city I guess it would be some really short local folk. Do you remember if they looked like old population?

People born in the begining of XXth century tend to be much shorter due to this wars ec. In 1910 -50 Portugal wasn't very good place to grow healthy in, as far as I know.

EDIT: On the other hand, Balkans were even more troubled, and it seems that folks are tall there.:smallconfused:

PaladinFreak
2008-07-27, 05:45 PM
180 cm, 75 kg (5'11'', 165 lbs for those like me, who are in America. God I hate the imperial system.) here. As a teenager, I'm quite healthy. I play tennis about 8 hours a week, and run three miles on days I don't play tennis.

Muscle weighs more than fat. Was the weight lost fat or muscle? Either way, 20 lbs quickly is bad. At the risk of being completely redundant:

GET THEE TO A DOCTOR!

Collin152
2008-07-27, 07:34 PM
My sister believes I may have an ulcer. Worry not, I wil go to a Doctor.
Henceforth, all recommendations to see a doctor must be given in the form of a pun.

kamikasei
2008-07-29, 06:17 AM
If you're losing weight it's because you're taking in fewer calories than you're using up. Just eat more, and get some medical confirmation that it's not a parasite, tumour, or oddity with your metabolism causing you to pass usable calories unburned.

If you've lost a lot of weight in a short time without any change in your diet from when your weight was stable, that suggests an illness of some sort.

10:51
2008-07-30, 12:29 AM
You know, you could have crohns-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crohn's_disease

Depends where you have it, but it can form ulcers in the stomach and throughout the digestive track. If this is recent or sudden, it be this (which is not as bad as cancer, although it is not a good thing as it is a life-long disease)

If you had always had a fast metabolism, it could a combination of poor eating, and rapid growing(you are 17, pretty young), or other varies things.

I'm not a doctor, but if anyone is qualified to give advice on the subject, I'm probably one of them. When I was 17, I weighed about 135,and I could (and can) eat anything and just lose weight. Granted I'm close to 6' foot so, those 6 inches of bone mass add some weight...yea, kinda looked like i was from a third world country.

I do have crohns, which can get be pretty severe (think holocaust skinny). And when I was your age I was diagnosed with the disease because I dropped from 135 to 120 over just two weeks, and I couldn't help but sleep close to 14 hours a day. If you don't have energy, or you have sores in your mouth, or if your stomach is acting weird, it could be signs.

Either way I recommend seeing a doctor. There is alot of good advice on here on eating habits, proteins, small meals every three hours. You don't necessarily need breakfast, you have to find a solid schedule that works with your body. I wouldn't recommend you doing any physical activity before you eat however, so keep that in mind. If your interested, you can get this dietary supplement that you take 15-30 minutes before each meal that slows down your digestive processes so you can absorb all of the nutrients in your food instead of your body going through it so fast.

They are called Digest-a-Meal--->http://www.infinity2.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductCode=US69604

You can check it out. I use them at times. A proper sleep schedule is also pretty important. Also, eating at specific times at a day consistently helps, so if you have the discipline, try it. If you don't like doctors, you can try a nutritionist, although he or she would most likely suggest you see a doctor while following their schedule they devise for you.

I know you think nothing works, and there is nothing you can do to stop it, but with time and a little commitment you can find what works for you. I'm 22 now, and weigh about 150 to 155. I started finding what foods didn't really bother my stomach, what proteins worked for me (any berries by the way are great for the stomach), and began to exercise ALOT.

Fat i found was very hard for me to gain ever, but muscle I seemed to be able to inch forward with. Plus, exercise makes your body function healthier, and helps you look sexy! If you aren't that athletic, or don't like the gym, try to find an activity you can engage in that gives you a goal, instead of just lifting weight a number of times. Some suggestions could be swimming, rock climbing, or break dancing (any dancing can be good too) just to name a few.

If you are intimidated by exercise, start off with some simple push-ups before you go to bed, something to ease yourself into it.

Keep with. Not a lot of people have to deal with trying to keep weight, its tough. Find what works for you eating wise, see a doctor, try to get more active, and peace be with you in your endeavors.

happyturtle
2008-07-30, 01:07 AM
If you're losing weight it's because you're taking in fewer calories than you're using up. Just eat more...

Yah, that doesn't work. If your body isn't sending hunger signals, trying to force food into yourself can be absolute torture. I had all kinds of tricks... take small bites, don't look at the food on the fork, try to think about things other than eating. I still ended up leaving my plate half full because I felt like I'd throw up if I ate another bite.

Collin152
2008-08-08, 09:51 PM
Alright, well, two doctors have been consulted.
We're wating on the blood test, but fairly sure I have an ulcer.

Yaaay.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-08, 10:06 PM
What I want to know is whats up with people considering junk food and lazing around to gain weight. Thats like, all I do, and I am still skinny and such. Many of my friends are similar, and thus I've always assumed that the people you do see that are fat and lazy, were born with some kind of disorder. Either that or we were born with somesort of... order?

Crow
2008-08-08, 11:19 PM
What I want to know is whats up with people considering junk food and lazing around to gain weight. Thats like, all I do, and I am still skinny and such. Many of my friends are similar, and thus I've always assumed that the people you do see that are fat and lazy, were born with some kind of disorder. Either that or we were born with somesort of... order?

I posted an article (maybe on the next page by now...Fitness-Rleated Reading), that deals with exactly what your talking about. I won't dig up the link, but if your actually interested enough, I'm sure you'll find it on here.

Killersquid
2008-08-08, 11:29 PM

Funnily, it wasn't junk food that made me overweight (and then lose it), but my Grandparents' (who are Italian) cooking. So, Collin, if you need to gain back weight, find yourself a set of Italian Grandparents.