PDA

View Full Version : 2 [spells] to make voyuers proud...

arguskos
2008-07-24, 08:10 PM
Eyes of Wrath
Conjuration
Level: Sorcerer 7
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Varies, see below
Target: Self, see below
Duration: 20 rounds
Saving Throw: Fort negates [harmless], see below
Spell Resistance: Yes [harmless], see below

Brother to the seven eyes spell, eyes of wrath is the offensive of the two. A single creature cannot have more than one of the two spells active at any given time, even if all the eyes are expended before the duration ends, no more castings of either spell will function.

eyes of wrath conjures seven magical orbs, each of which has potent offensive powers. Each eye emulates a single, specific attack form, typically, a lower level spell. Once the eye is called upon once, it dissipates (so, they're one use only). The eyes are as follows:

Eye of Thought: This eye emulates the spell feeblemind. It grants a will save to negate the effect.

Eye of the Fist: This eye emulates fist of stone. It lasts for the remaining duration of eyes of wrath.

Eye of Wizardy: This eye duplicates the orb spell of the casters choice. It may emulate orb of fire, force, acid, cold, lightning, or sound.

Eye of the Serpent: This eye inflicts the target with a version of black lotus poison, dealing 1d6 Con/2d6 Con, and forcing a fortitude save to negate.

Eye of the Reaper: This eye forces the target to make a will save or drop dead.

Eye of the Soul: this eye forces the target to make a fortitude save, or (some horrible, eye of fortitude-related fate befalls them, ideas?).

Eye of the Tomb: this eye causes a tomb of stone to rise around the target, prompting a reflex save or be trapped inside a coffin of stone till the duration of eyes of wrath ends.

Seven Eyes
Conjuration
Level: Wizards 7
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Varies, see below
Target: Self, see below
Duration: 20 rounds
Saving Throw: Fort negates [harmless], see below
Spell Resistance: Yes [harmless], see below

Sister to the eyes of wrath spell, seven eyes is the defensive of the two. A single creature cannot have more than one of the two spells active at any given time, even if all the eyes are expended before the duration ends, no more castings of either spell will function.

seven eyes conjures seven magical orbs, each of which has potent defensive powers. Each eye defends against a single, specific attack form. Once the attack is absorbed, the eye dissipates, and may not be used again (so, they're each one use only). The eyes are as follows:

Eye of the Mind – this orb protects the caster against mental attacks, such as charm, emotion, feeblemind effects and fear. The eye of the mind also defeats charm spells that affect multiple individuals, but, it does not dispel the entire spell, just the bit that affects the caster.

Eye of the Sword – this eye deflects the first physical damaging attack that strikes the caster. By damaging, this means the first physical attack that breaches the casters defenses, and would deal direct hit point, or Constitution damage.

Eye of the Mage – this eye absorbs one manifestation of energy in the casters immediate vicinity. What this means is that the next time any spell with the fire, electricity, acid, sonic, cold, or force descriptor is cast within 20 feet of the caster, the eye of the mage negates it. This includes the casters spells, and those of his allies, so the caster is warned to show some foresight in his deployment of energy-based spells. Also, if a spell with an energy descriptor strikes the caster from outside the 20 foot negation radius, that spell is negated anyway (ie. if the caster is struck with a fireball cast 200 feet away, the eye will still negate the effect).

Eye of Venom – this eye halts any one attack or effect that could poison the caster. Note that the eye of the sword will not block any attack that breaches the casters defenses that will deliver a poison, letting the eye of venom take care of it.

Eye of the Spirit – this eye blocks one instant-death magic attack (finger of death, power word: kill, etc).

Eye of Fortitude – this eye blocks one stunning, deafness or blindness effect. It also blocks any polymorphing effect, or any other effect that would alter the caster's form in anyway, save petrification or hold effect.

Eye of Stone – this eye shields the caster from a single petrification or hold attack.

Now, for the fluff: These two spells were created by the same person: the mage Ictuls. This wizard was obsessed with ophthalmancy, and created hundreds of eye-based spells (such as arcane eye, prismatic eye, prying eyes, and these two spells, not to mention hundreds that never were released). However, Ictuls was a bit... eccentric, and liked stealing eyes from creatures to further his experiments, earning him many foes. Eventually, those foes came to collect their debts, and destroyed Ictuls with an army of beholder-kin, who were so angry at the mad mage's experiments, that they banded together and obliterated him, taking HIS eyes in a cruel reversal of fate...

Last point: I need suggestions on powers for the Eye of the Soul in the eyes of wrath spell, and thanks to spell duality, it should be the inverse of the Eye of Fortitude. I just can't think of anything that fits the power level of eyes of wrath (already a bit too high IMO, and I don't want it any higher).

Thoughts?

-argus

EDIT: Due to a brain-fart on my part, and a reminder from a below poster, I nicked seven eyes in name and basic function from Icewind Dale 2. Just so everyone knows. However, eyes of wrath is my idea alone.

DracoDei
2008-07-24, 08:43 PM
Blinded sounds good to me if you want to keep the power level down (pretty effective, but only a 2nd level spell it is emulating), if you REALLY wanted to nerf it you could go with Flare or some such...

arguskos
2008-07-24, 10:47 PM
Ok, I wanted to nerf bat it, but not that cruel. Though... an all cantrip version would be fun (and I love these spells honestly, I like the idea of seven floating eyes following you around, working your will upon the world). Heh, I'm just obsessed with cantrips and orisons though. :D

Blindness I could see. Hey, maybe Blindness and Deafness? Get both with one eye? It's not beyond the power level I've set here I think.

-argus

Silence
2008-07-24, 10:53 PM
Blindness and deafness seems..... really overpowered.

arguskos
2008-07-24, 11:18 PM
Well, it's not like these spells are terribly under powered at the moment. :smallwink: What if the blindness/deafness gave two separate saves? Would that make them not so effective? I've heard spells that give multiple saves sorta suck (phantasmal killer anyone?), so multiple saves could weaken this as well maybe.

-argus

DracoDei
2008-07-25, 07:13 AM
Spells where they have to fail BOTH saves to be effected may be weak... a spell that has two separate effects with two separate saves is just not putting all your eggs in one basket... nobody ever called "Prismatic Wall" weak to my knowledge.

katarl
2008-07-25, 11:13 AM
Could you please say where you got this from. Seven Eyes is not original, and you haven't given credit for the spell.

Stycotl
2008-07-25, 12:17 PM
Could you please say where you got this from. Seven Eyes is not original, and you haven't given credit for the spell.

do you know for sure that this is unoriginal? if you don't, give him the benefit of the doubt.

i know every time i create something, i become paranoid that i am just subconsciously recreating something that i already have bookmarked somewhere.

i have seen other multiple-eye spells, but it is certainly possible to come up with the idea on your own, and his strike me as different than the others that i've seen.

anyway, op, cool stuff. i think you need to specify mechanics for some of those effects. some are spell effects and follow prewritten rules. but some, is it a gaze attack, a standard action spell-like ability-deal? the serpent's eye one in particular does not have range and other effects listed, unless i'm blind, which is certainly a possibility. maybe i need some extra eyes...

aaron out.

Kd7sov
2008-07-25, 01:08 PM
My immediate thought for the penalty of Eye of the Soul:

Baleful Polymorph.

arguskos
2008-07-25, 02:07 PM
Indeed, I nicked the idea from the Icewind Dale 2 game. However, I've changed the spell somewhat from it's original form, by quite a bit in fact. If you feel it's important, then I'm happy to edit the first post, mentioned this (in fact, I thought I had, but I guess I forgot). :smallwink:

anyway, op, cool stuff. i think you need to specify mechanics for some of those effects. some are spell effects and follow prewritten rules. but some, is it a gaze attack, a standard action spell-like ability-deal? the serpent's eye one in particular does not have range and other effects listed, unless i'm blind, which is certainly a possibility. maybe i need some extra eyes...
Hmm. That's a good point actually. I'll edit some of those effects. seven eyes doesn't really have that issue, more eyes of wrath. Maybe, short range on the effects, just to keep things decently balanced?

My immediate thought for the penalty of Eye of the Soul:

Baleful Polymorph.
I thought about that, though I'd probably specify what they turn into (I like turning people into squirrels, then collecting them and keeping them as pets). However, it seems like it'd make eyes of wrath somewhat better than seven eyes. *shrug* I guess the Eye of Fortitude still negates the Eye of the Soul's effect, so it's all good.

-argus

EDIT: First post edited to reflect the source of seven eyes. :smallbiggrin: I feel dumb for forgetting!