PDA

View Full Version : Help with Formatting

cabbagesquirrel
2008-07-25, 04:25 AM
I've recently taking to making a few homebrew classes and monsters etc for my new DnD 4th edition campaign. however I would like to make some of these into .pdf format eventually for others to use.

What I need is a way to draw up my homebrew stuff so it looks like what the classes do in the new books. I.E. how the powers are set out, the double coloumn layout and all that jazz.

Just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere to get my hands on some pre set out schematics for all the power, item, monster stuff.

If this makes sense.

Bhu
2008-07-25, 04:44 AM
I have some templates I use, but they aren't entireyl like the books. I could post them. All you'd have to do is reply to see the template, and copy/paste it into a Word File.

cabbagesquirrel
2008-07-25, 05:03 AM
any templates a good template :smallcool:

Bhu
2008-07-25, 06:12 AM
CLASS NAME

Picture URL

Quote of Some Kind by a member of the class!

A general description of whatever the class is!

MAKING A CLASS NAME
Quick generalization of what you should focus on when making the class.
Abilities: An in detail section on what ability scores are good for the class, and usually in the order of priority.
Races: Basically how common is the class in the various core races (and other races if you wish to put information in here about them).
Alignment: What alignment they are allowed to be.
Starting Gold: How much gold they start with. Pretty explanatory.
Starting Age: Starting age of the race, just state "As Another Class" as it's better then creating your own chart.

Class Skills
The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are....
Skills Per Day at 1st Level : (x + int)x4
Skills Per Day at Each Additional Level : x + int

Hit Dice: dx

BAB Fort Ref Will Abilities
1. +0 +0 +0 +2
2. +1 +0 +0 +3
3. +1 +1 +1 +3
4. +2 +1 +1 +4
5. +2 +1 +1 +4
6. +3 +2 +2 +5
7. +3 +2 +2 +5
8. +4 +2 +2 +6
9. +4 +3 +3 +6
10.+5 +3 +3 +7
11.+5 +3 +3 +7
12.+6 +4 +4 +8
13.+6 +4 +4 +8
14.+7 +4 +4 +9
15.+7 +5 +5 +9
16.+8 +5 +5 +10
17.+8 +5 +5 +10
18.+9 +6 +6 +11
19.+9 +6 +6 +11
20.+10 +6 +6 +12

Weapon Proficiencies: A place to put the different proficiencies.
Put all the different class abilities in here!

PLAYING A CLASS NAME
Brief description on how to play the class you are designing.
Religion: A brief description of the different religions that the class commonly follows. It's best to state your sources if you are using non-core gods.
Other Classes: An in detail section on how your class interacts with other classes. Best to state your sources if your going to refer to non-core classes.
Combat: Here's a section where you will describe common combat methods for your class. Remember to include information on how your class will use his powers in combat.
Advancement: This is a section on different options and paths that the class can go down when they advance in power.

CLASS NAME IN THE WORLD
A quote of somebody else talking about your class!
A brief description of how your class is persevered in the world and how he interacts with the world.
Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.
Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
Organizations: Some information about organizations dedicated to the practice of your class and other organizations which members of your class will be attracted towards.

NPC Reaction
This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

CLASS NAME IN THE GAME
This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.
Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Bhu
2008-07-25, 06:13 AM
<Creature>, <Class level> <Class>
<Size> <Type> (<Subtypes>)
Hit Dice: <# of HD>d<Die size>+<(Con mod) x (# of HD)> (<average # of hp> hp)
Initiative:
Speed: <#> ft. (<speed / 5> squares)
Armor Class: <#> (<AC bonus types>), touch <#>, flat-footed <#>
Base Attack/Grapple: <#>/<#>
Attack: <Melee Weapon> <AB> melee (<Weapon Damage>) or <Ranged Weapon> <AB> ranged (<Weapon Damage>)
Full Attack: <# of weapons> <Melee weapon> <ABs> melee (<Weapon Damage>) or <Ranged Weapon> <ABs> ranged (<Weapon Damage>)
Space/Reach: <#> ft./<#> ft.
Special Attacks: <>
Special Qualities: <>
Saves: Fort <#>, Ref <#>, Will <#>
Abilities: Str <#>, Dex <#>, Con <#>, Int <#>, Wis <#>, Cha <#>
Skills: <Racial class skills and modifiers>
Feats: <Bonus feat>B, <feats>
Environment: <climate> <terrain>
Organization: <>
Challenge Rating: <##>
Treasure: <>
Alignment: <>
Advancement: <>
Level Adjustment: +<#>

Bhu
2008-07-25, 06:14 AM
PRESTIGE CLASS NAME

Picture URL

Quote of Some Kind by a member of the class!

A general description of whatever the class is!

BECOMING A CLASS NAME
How you would normally become a member of this prestige class.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
:
:
:
:
:

Class Skills
The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are....
Skills Points at Each Level : x + int

Hit Dice: dx

BAB Fort Ref Will Abilities
1. +0 +0 +0 +2
2. +1 +0 +0 +3
3. +1 +1 +1 +3
4. +2 +1 +1 +4
5. +2 +1 +1 +4
6. +3 +2 +2 +5
7. +3 +2 +2 +5
8. +4 +2 +2 +6
9. +4 +3 +3 +6
10.+5 +3 +3 +7

Weapon Proficiencies: A place to put the different proficiencies.
Put all the different class abilities in here!

PLAYING A CLASS NAME
Brief description on how to play the class you are designing.
Combat: Here's a section where you will describe common combat methods for your class. Remember to include information on how your class will use his powers in combat.
Advancement: This is a section on different options and paths that the class can go down when they advance in power.
Resources: What resources might a member of this PrC be able to draw on..

CLASS NAME IN THE WORLD
A quote of somebody else talking about your class!
A brief description of how your class is persevered in the world and how he interacts with the world.
Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.
Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
Organizations: Some information about organizations dedicated to the practice of your class and other organizations which members of your class will be attracted towards.

NPC Reaction
This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

CLASS NAME IN THE GAME
This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.
Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter
Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.
EL x: Give the encounter level and description of a sample member of this class and a stat block for him/her.

Name
alignment/Gender/Race/Levels
Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed ()
hp ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will +
------------------------------------------------
Speed ft. ( squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
Spells Prepared
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions

Bhu
2008-07-25, 06:15 AM
RACE NAME

Picture URL if you have one

Quote of Some Kind by a member of the r ace!

A general description of whatever the race is!

RACE RACIAL TRAITS
· Ability Score adjustments
· Size Class
· Type (and any Subtypes)
· Base speed
· Alternate movement forms if any
· Special attacks and qualities, extra hit dice
· Anything related to racial hit dice such as saves, skill points, class skills, etc if necessary
· Racial skill bonuses
· Automatic and Bonus languages
· Level Adjustment (if any)
· Favored Class:

STARTING AGE
Adulthood:
Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer:
Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger:
Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard:

AGING EFFECTS
Middle Age:
Old:
Venerable:
Maximum Age:
If there are any aging effects that differ from norm list them here.

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
Base Height: Male: Female:
Height Modifier:
Base Weight: Male: Female:
Weight Modifier:

RACE CHARACTERS
Quick generalization of what this race is good for as far as characters go..
Adventuring Race: Why members of this class go on adventures.
Character Development: Give suggestions for making a character with this race.
Character Names: Give examples of names by gender or other arrangement.

ROLEPLAYING A RACE
Quick generalization about playing a member of this race.
Personality: Give general stereotype of the personality of a member of this race and some roleplaying applications.
Behaviors: Typical behaviors for a member of this race..
Language:Notes on this races language..

RACE SOCIETY
Description of this races society, culture, and civilization.
Alignment : What alignment is common to members of this race and why.
Lands : Where do they normally live.
Settlements : Where do they normally live when not in their homelands.
Beliefs :Typical religious beliefs.
Relations: How do they relate to other races.

RACE ADVENTURES
· Give at least three examples of an adventure for or involving a member of this race
· Give at least three examples of an adventure for or involving a member of this race

Bhu
2008-07-25, 06:16 AM
Template Name

Template Type: Inherited and or Acquired Also add description of what creatures it can be applied to>

Size and Type: Add changes to Size Class or creature type, and any subtypes that may be gained.

Hit Dice: If the Hit Die type changes because the creature changed type (or conversely if it doesn’t) note that here.

Speed: Note any changes in speed and any lost or additional movement types. If Flight is gained specify what it’s maneuverability class is.

Armor Class: Note any changes to the base creatures natural armor bonus, or if it gains any bonuses to Armor Class such as Deflection.

Attacks: Note any natural attacks gained here. If the base Attack Bonus must be recalculated because the base creature changed Type (or conversely if it doesn’t) also mention that here.

Damage: Note any changes to damage (usually due to Size Class changes) here.

Special Attacks: Mention whether or not the base creature retains any of it’s special attacks or gains any new ones here.

Special Qualities: Mention whether or not the base creature retains any of it’s special qualities or gains any new ones here.

Saves: Note any changes in Saving throws due to new bonuses or penalties, or if they must be recalculated because the creature has changed type.

Abilities: Note changes in ability scores.

Skills: Note changes in skills, any new skill bonuses or penalties, or if skills must be recalculated due to a change in type.

Feats: Mention any changes in Feats or Bonus Feats here.

Environment: <>

Organization: <>

Challenge Rating: <>

Treasure: <>

Alignment: <>

Advancement: <>

Level Adjustment: <>

Example of creature using template here:

Bhu
2008-07-25, 06:21 AM
D'OH!!

I just noticed you said the new books!

Let me see if I know of some. I know someone has to have them by now on one of hte forums.

cabbagesquirrel
2008-07-25, 06:23 AM
not to be a sticky wicket, because those are pretty awesome.

but i did mention 4th edition not 3rd :smallredface:

Bhu
2008-07-27, 05:07 AM
Well crap I havent found one, so maybe I'll just have to make one. SInce I dont have the 4e books though I'll need to find some pics from them or soemthing written i nthe same format.

Viruzzo
2008-07-27, 06:30 AM
http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/SRD.pdf

If you need it I can easily make some CSS to reproduce things like the power stat blocks.

BTW the fonts used by the 4e books are mostly DnDLolth and Mentor. If you manage to get them you can really make it WotC-like.

RTGoodman
2008-07-27, 01:22 PM
If you're trying to make your stat blocks, power blocks, and stuff like that look like what's in the 4E books, it's really very easy to do with Microsoft Word and probably any other word processor.

Basically, type everything up as they have it in the books (use an example or the SRD linked about to get everything in the right order), change your margins to 3 1/2 or 4 inches or so (just depends on how wide you want the stat blocks to be), and then just set the background colors for each section, using the custom color selector to find ones closest to what you want. That's all it takes (basically). The various symbols in monster stat blocks are available online if you can find the font pack and download it, or you can just make the symbols yourself in Paint or whatever and just insert them in Word where they need to go.

To convert documents to PDF format, you usually need special software or drivers or somesuch (I don't really know much about computers...), but there are actually several websites that you can easily find via Google that convert documents for free via an automated system and then e-mail them to you as attachments. I wouldn't trust them for anything important (financial stuff, etc.), but if you if you really want something in PDF format it works out (since I doubt they'll be stealing your gaming materials or whatnot).

EDIT: Okay, via the method I described above, you can get something like THIS (http://rtg0922.googlepages.com/4eScarecrowsRTGoodman.pdf). I tried one of the sites online that converts things to PDF format for you and it seemed to work okay, but it did screw up my little pictures for attack type and recharge symbols. I guess getting the font online that has those (over on ENWorld, I think) would probably fix that, but I'm not sure.

Bhu
2008-07-28, 05:59 AM
sweet. Thats that then I guess.