PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Acronym Discussion

TwystidMynd
2008-07-25, 10:01 AM
There are a bunch of acronyms that I see tossed around here, when discussing various RPGs. A few common ones I've been able to interpret through context clues, but some have, as of yet, managed to elude me. I've unveiled the meaning of the following:

TWF - Two-Weapon Fighting
RAW - Rules as Written
RAI - Rules as Intended
PbP - Play by Post
MMORPG - Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game (also an alternative acronym for D&D 4.0... kidding!)

But, to me, the MAD is still a mysterious acronym, so if anyone could explain it to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Furthermore, if there are any other exotic acronyms that you think deserve sharing or need explaining, feel free to post or ask!

Morty
2008-07-25, 10:03 AM
May I point you to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512) thread? It's a collection of D&D acronyms. To answer your question, I'll quote it:
In 3.5, refers to a group of caster classes that base different casting modifiers off different attributes. For example, the spirit shaman bases bonus spells per day off of Wis but spell DC off of Cha. Also occasionally used in reference to classes that are felt to require several above average ability scores to be effective, such as the monk.

JeminiZero
2008-07-25, 10:04 AM
MAD = Multiple Ability Dependency. As in a class/build relies on more ability scores than normal, so you have to split your points across them, and the result is that each individual score is less then you would like.

Edit: Ninja'ed

Kurald Galain
2008-07-25, 10:07 AM
But, to me, the MAD is still a mysterious acronym, so if anyone could explain it to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Furthermore, if there are any other exotic acronyms that you think deserve sharing or need explaining, feel free to post or ask!

I'm sure this will be ninja'ed, but it stands for Multiple Attribute Dependency.
In D&D, it is good to have your attributes as high as possible. If you have a class that cares primarily about one attribute (e.g. strength for barbarians, intelligence for wizards) you can put all level boosts, equipment boosts, tomes etc into that and end up with an impressive score.

On the other hand, if you have a silly kind of character which needs strength for melee damage, constitution because he has a low hit die, dexterity for AC and stealth, intelligence for buying cross-class skills, wisdom for class abilities and AC, and charisma to use magical items semi-effectively, you're going to have to boost all of your stats, which is hideously expensive, as well as impractical to the point of impossibility.

Spiryt
2008-07-25, 10:09 AM
On the other hand, if you have a silly kind of character which needs strength for melee damage, constitution because he has a low hit die, dexterity for AC and stealth, intelligence for buying cross-class skills, wisdom for class abilities and AC, and charisma to use magical items semi-effectively, you're going to have to boost all of your stats, which is hideously expensive, as well as impractical to the point of impossibility.

You're doing some allusions, or what? :smallamused:

Kurald Galain
2008-07-25, 10:09 AM
Also, related acronyms,

S&B - Sword & Board
THF - Two-Handed Fighting
RAR - Rules as Remembered
PBEM - Play By Email
TLA - Three Letter Acronym
ETLA - Extended Three Letter Acronym (because FLA isn't)
BAB - Base Attack Bonus
SA - Sneak Attack
FLGS - Friendly Local Gaming Store
RTFM - Just google it already

TwystidMynd
2008-07-25, 10:12 AM
May I point you to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512) thread? It's a collection of D&D acronyms. To answer your question, I'll quote it:

I thought I'd seen an Acronym thread around here... go figure that I skip over the stickies when searching for it =P Thanks!

Ralfarius
2008-07-25, 10:18 AM
RTFM - Just google it already
Heh heh heh. Why, that doesn't have the same letters at all! :smalltongue:

It's almost like some sort of insistence to Read The something something... Read the something Manual? But what could the F stand for?

Duke of URL
2008-07-25, 10:51 AM
The "F" stands for "fine".

Honest.

I mean, what else could it be?

Spiryt
2008-07-25, 10:59 AM
I bet it's Really, Time For Manual.

Fine doesn't really fit.

Honest

mikeejimbo
2008-07-25, 12:59 PM
It's Read The Friendly Manual. Friendly.

Ralfarius
2008-07-25, 06:10 PM
It's Read The Friendly Manual. Friendly.
Review That Fantastic Manual!

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-07-25, 06:18 PM
I'm all for using ":haley:" as an acronym for Sneak Attack.

monty
2008-07-25, 06:20 PM
I'm all for using ":haley:" as an acronym for Sneak Attack.

No, I believe that would be "Sneak Attack, bitch!" It's an entirely different thing. Altogether.

KillianHawkeye
2008-07-25, 07:02 PM
No, I believe that would be "Sneak Attack, bitch!"

Wait, I thought that was when the Juggernaut busted throught the wall unexpectedly.

Tengu_temp
2008-07-25, 07:08 PM
Wait, I thought that was when the Juggernaut busted throught the wall unexpectedly.

Like the CoolAid Man?

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-07-25, 07:17 PM
No, I believe that would be "Sneak Attack, bitch!" It's an entirely different thing. Altogether.
Oooh, right. Good call.

Add it to the list.

Curmudgeon
2008-07-26, 10:42 PM
Also, related acronyms,

S&B - Sword & Board
THF - Two-Handed Fighting
PBEM - Play By Email
TLA - Three Letter Acronym
Uh, these aren't acronyms; they're just abbreviations. You need to be able to pronounce the abbreviation as a word for it to be an acronym. You can check the dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=acronym&x=0&y=0) if you need confirmation.

Anyway, TLA = Three Letter Abbreviation works fine.