PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Combat Form Feats

Human Paragon 3
2008-07-25, 10:52 AM
Just wondering, is there a build that utilizes the Combat From Feats from the PHBII? I like the idea of them but I am not sure how to pull it off. Anybody ever use them?

Chronicled
2008-07-25, 11:06 AM
Just wondering, is there a build that utilizes the Combat From Feats from the PHBII? I like the idea of them but I am not sure how to pull it off. Anybody ever use them?

As long as you have feats to spare, and take at least three of them, they're nice to have without being overpowered. Stability is especially nice (if you're a dwarf as well, you'll never, ever get tripped or bull rushed), Vigor isn't bad (even if it's not a lot of HP), and the one that gives Blindsight to 5' is decent.

Signmaker
2008-07-25, 11:06 AM
Don't forget Awareness. Meta-gaming minus the meta!

Chronicled
2008-07-25, 11:07 AM
Don't forget Awareness. Meta-gaming minus the meta!

That's the one that gives Blindsight. Thanks for the name.

Person_Man
2008-07-25, 11:57 AM
As has been mentioned, if you're going to use combat form feats, you want at least 3 of them.

Combat Awareness: Knowing the hit points of adjacent enemies lets you fine tune your Power Attack. Blindsight 5 feet is helpful, but easy to get via cheap magic items.

Combat Focus: +4 to Will Saves is nice, but nothing to write home about.

Combat Stability: +8 to resist bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, and trip attempts made against you is helpful in the games I play, as my DMs are very fond of using special attacks. Your mileage may vary. This can also be used as part of an offensive grapple build - once you succeed in a grapple, if your enemy wants to break free or damage you on his turn he must initiate grapple checks against you, and you'll receive the bonus. But any good melee build should be able to kill any adjacent enemy in one turn, especially an optimized grapple build.

Combat Vigor: Fast healing 4 isn't that helpful by ECL 9, when you first get access to this feat. Most combats in most games only last 1-8 rounds, so at most you're healing around 36 hit points through the course of each combat. But if you can combine it with other healing every round and/or DR and/or temporary hit points you can be an uber tank.

So these feats are of limited use. But if you want to be a grapple-tank, you might look into them. Maybe:

Monk 2/Paladin of Freedom 4/Hellreaver 5/Warmind 5 ?

Human Paragon 3
2008-07-25, 12:15 PM
Interesting, but monk blows your BAB to hell, unforutately preventing you from taking the feats at 3 6 and 9. Would it work with fighter or generic warrior instead?

bignate
2008-07-25, 02:06 PM
i thought about doing a psi-warrior with them...