PDA

View Full Version : country

dzbap326
2008-07-25, 02:41 PM
I've really gotten into country lately. I've been listening to artists like Cory Smith, Keith Urban, Rusty Truck and Kenny Chesney.

Anyone else really like country?

de-trick
2008-07-25, 02:52 PM
well i wouldnt be from the praire if i never liked country, well i like most music anyways, Kenny Rodgers, Allen Jackson, Johnny Cash, Tobby Kieth, Road Hammers, Cord Lund, and so many others like the guy who sings John Deere Green

WalkingTarget
2008-07-25, 03:35 PM
Grew up on a farm in the midwest and I can say that I never particularly liked the country music that I had to endure at the time (long school bus rides, other people listening to it in general, line-dancing being part of the phys ed curriculum thanks to one of my classmates :smallfurious:).

Looking back, I realize that I didn't care for new country music. The older stuff (Johnny Cash, etc.) are ok.

Bluegrass is even better.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-25, 04:49 PM
I like the more rock based stuff, like CSN's country stuff, some Grateful Dead, and pretty much any Northern California based country.

RTGoodman
2008-07-25, 04:52 PM
Being from NC, I've had to listen to country my whole life. The thing is, I really HATE almost all country music, but ever so often there'll be a song or group I like. For instance, I'm not sure why, but I really like Alabama.

DomaDoma
2008-07-25, 05:00 PM
Country doesn't have the best sound to it, but it is the only popular music these days that's allowed to have creative lyrics. The trouble is those thrice-damned Top 40 stations that, through sheer repetition, make every single one of those forty into a permanent fixture of the brain that could be used as a mild form of torture twenty years down the road.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-07-25, 05:04 PM
In England, the radio only gives you Country if you hunt for it.

Still, I don't like country much but my parents can't tell the stuff I do like from country so I'm probably at least partially lying to myself.

bosssmiley
2008-07-25, 05:15 PM
I like outlaw country (Haggard, Nelson, Cash, Kristoffersen, etc...), and have since my dad got me into it with "At Folsom Prison" back when I was knee-high. It's a shame about the dancing though. :smallamused:

I'm not sure if honky-tonk counts as country, but in the wake of Squidbillies I've also been turned onto the undiluted awesome that is Unknown Hinson.

RTGoodman
2008-07-25, 05:20 PM
Country doesn't have the best sound to it, but it is the only popular music these days that's allowed to have creative lyrics. The trouble is those thrice-damned Top 40 stations that, through sheer repetition, make every single one of those forty into a permanent fixture of the brain that could be used as a mild form of torture twenty years down the road.

SOME country might have creative lyrics, but the rest of it as just as shallow and mindless as any other popular music, just with a different audience. I swear there's a country song out now that's 4 straight minutes of a woman sing "OOH ooh ooh ooh ooh, ooh OOH ooh ooh ooh ooh, ooh OOH!" :smallannoyed: I hear it every day on the radio as I scan through, and I've yet to hear other words.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-08-08, 05:18 PM
I had a friend in college who was into country. Strangely enough, he had a very pronounced new england accent that one would not normally associate with a country music fan.

Are there as many subgenres in country as there are in other types of music?

Jack Squat
2008-08-08, 05:34 PM
I like the older stuff...the new stuff isn't too bad, but it's basically just turining into Southern Rock.

Don't listen to it to much though; I've just never been motivated to get CDs, and I don't really like anything that's on the radio ATM.

snoopy13a
2008-08-08, 05:39 PM
I had a friend in college who was into country. Strangely enough, he had a very pronounced new england accent that one would not normally associate with a country music fan.

Are there as many subgenres in country as there are in other types of music?

When I lived in Vermont, one of my coworkers loved country music and listened to it all the time. There are country music fans throughout the US.

I believe that country has subgenres but I'm not really an expert. I do like some country music like Cash, a few Garth Brooks songs, and Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler" but I'm not familiar of the genre as a whole. However, it seems to me that "modern" country sounds more like the old Southern Rock of bands like Lynard Skynard then the old country singers like Cash.

SurlySeraph
2008-08-08, 05:46 PM
I like a few songs by Johnny Cash, Bob Seger, and Fleetwood Mac. Other than that, I don't know much about country.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-08, 06:39 PM
Country is alright, but thats because I like all kinds of music... (its at the other end of a death metalhead's spectrum :smallwink:) ... except rap. Well most rap anyways... I can go for Tupac and Notorious B I G when I'm in that mood.

Anyways, I never got why so many of my friends hated country... even though all it really is:

Country Music: 3 Chords and the Truth.

mockingbyrd7
2008-08-09, 01:58 PM
I'm not fond of old-fashioned country, but I don't mind country influences most of the time. For example, I really like Carrie Underwood and Rascal Flatts (which could be considered country pop) and some other groups that are kinda like country rock.

The Demented One
2008-08-09, 02:08 PM
I dislike most country, but I really like Johnny Cash, naturally, and Kasey Chambers.

CannibalHymn
2008-08-09, 02:18 PM
Songs: Ohia are probably the best band that's active right now.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-08-12, 09:53 AM
Anyways, I never got why so many of my friends hated country...

A lot of the modern country songs that I've heard sorta struck me as "emo with a belt buckle and a southern drawl". I'm not interested in listening to music that features whining about relationships, financial issues or anything for that matter. Hell, thats probably why I don't listen to modern rock either. The tone of voice that rock singers use these days is just...bleh. Give me some classic Zep, or the Who any day.

Serpentine
2008-08-12, 09:58 AM
I Kissed a Girl by I'm not sure who is the only country song I remember and like. I think Cake tends to have some country leanings, though, and I like them...
All you country lovers out there'd love this place. Tamworth, about an hour from me, has the Country Music Festival every year. You can't see the hicks for the rednecks! They have the Golden Guitar competition an' all that. Very famous.

Linky. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamworth_Country_Music_Festival)

CannibalHymn
2008-08-12, 09:25 PM
A lot of the modern country songs that I've heard sorta struck me as "emo with a belt buckle and a southern drawl". I'm not interested in listening to music that features whining about relationships, financial issues or anything for that matter. Hell, thats probably why I don't listen to modern rock either. The tone of voice that rock singers use these days is just...bleh. Give me some classic Zep, or the Who any day.

D=
You are serious, huh?
D=

ForzaFiori
2008-09-06, 06:57 PM
SOME country might have creative lyrics, but the rest of it as just as shallow and mindless as any other popular music, just with a different audience. I swear there's a country song out now that's 4 straight minutes of a woman sing "OOH ooh ooh ooh ooh, ooh OOH ooh ooh ooh ooh, ooh OOH!" :smallannoyed: I hear it every day on the radio as I scan through, and I've yet to hear other words.

That's "All I Wanna Do," by Sugarland, I think. There are other words in the verses, but I agree that the chorus is really annoying. I heard it for the first time on GAC's Top 20 countdown, and I couldn't believe it was that popular.