PDA

View Full Version : Warshaper Cheese

Arros Winhadren
2008-07-25, 06:03 PM
Hey all!

I've seen it mentioned several times that Warshapers get a bunch of attacks because they can grow more natural weapons. Now I get that they can grow a bunch of tentacles/claws/etc. as a move action (unless you get Quick Change?), how does that give them more attacks? Doesn't that all depend on your BAB? Also, can you have your Warshaper grow wings for a fly speed? How about growing a dragon head out of your chest and using a breath attack? Or would you need something like Master of Many Forms for that? Getting infinite attacks doesn't sound like playing to have fun, but I'm curious as to how this happens.

Chronos
2008-07-25, 10:58 PM
Your number of attacks with natural weapons doesn't depend on BAB. A creature with multiple natural weapons who makes a full attack gets one attack with each weapon (for instance, two claws and a bite). Whichever attack is considered the primary attack is made at full BAB; all the others are considered secondary attacks, and made at full BAB -5 (or -2, with the Multiattack feat).

A few creatures (presumably including Warshapers) are able to combine natural attacks with manufactured weapon attacks. Such creatures get the best of both worlds: They can make iterative attacks with their weapon, and then additionally get one secondary attack (at -5 or -2) with each of their natural weapons. The only drawback is that if you're using a limb to hold a weapon, you can't make any natural weapon attacks with that same limb, but there's no restriction on attacks made with a bite, gore, tentacle, etc.

And while the class description isn't clear on the number of natural weapons you can grow, I think it's fair to say that you should probably only be allowed to have one such extra natural weapon at a time.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-07-25, 11:03 PM
What Chronos said. In the game I play in with a Changeling Warshaper (whose legality is contested under Rules As Intended anyway, since there were no LA 0 [shapeshifter]s when Warshaper was published), the DM limited her to six natural attacks at a time though.

Don't tell Magnus_Samma, though. I've got a Changeling Duskblade going Warshaper in his game, and 15 natural weapons + Full-Attack Channel + Maximized Vampiric Touch = BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Really, one's a sensible limit.

EDIT: Doing the math on that, that's like 900 Temporary HP at level 20. Yeah, on second thought Magnus, don't let me do that.

Worira
2008-07-26, 01:01 AM
Changeling warshaper seems to be the new fad nowadays. This is suspicious, since I thought of it myself around the start of June. Clearly, GiTP is reading my mind.

Chronicled
2008-07-26, 01:12 AM
Changeling warshaper seems to be the new fad nowadays. This is suspicious, since I thought of it myself around the start of June. Clearly, GiTP is reading my mind.

Eh, I made a post about it last year and still got the "it's already popular" response. It's like there's a CharOp version of Rule 34: If you can imagine it, it's been done already, and tweaked better than your version.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-07-26, 04:38 PM
Barb/Bear Warrior/Warshaper is also a viable build. Perhaps not as high damage output as a charge build, but hey, it's still pretty cool.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-26, 04:42 PM
"Aaaargh! Now I angry! Now I turn into bear! Now I turn into bear with tentacle for face! Aaargh!"

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-07-26, 05:26 PM
"Aaaargh! Now I angry! Now I turn into bear! Now I turn into bear with tentacle for face! Aaargh!"

Not to mention +5' reach and immunity to crits and sneak attachs. Oh yea, and the Tentacles. Makes you real popular at Anime conventions, and also allows you to infiltrate Miskatonic University without raising any eyebrows.