PDA

View Full Version : Best Living Spell Ever?

shadow_archmagi
2008-07-25, 06:33 PM
From Eberron, a living spell is a spell that came alive and goes about eating things. Its type is Ooze.

So instead of an Ooze that burns you with say, acid when you're engulfed, you have one that disintegrates you. Or teleports you. Someone mentioned a combined teleport/reverse gravity (you find yourself 20 feet in the air and falling away from the earth, fast).

What else would be winsome? Points awarded for sheer power, sheer style, and sheer win, and of course, humor.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-07-25, 06:34 PM
Living Living Spell. It's a spell-blob that spawns OTHER spell-blobs! You could make an entire campaign out of one.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-25, 06:35 PM
Anything utilizing BoEF. :smallamused:

arguskos
2008-07-25, 06:37 PM
A living Sphere of Ultimate Destruction (spell compendium). It's basically an Umbral Blot, but way lower level. :smallbiggrin:

A living Energy Transformation Field would be amusing, esp if tied to something really fun, like, Fireball. Would that create living spell fireballs? Or just cast fireball? Fun times.

What would a living Summon Monster spell do? Create monsters when it hits?

-argus

EDIT: What about a living Apocalypse from the Sky? I'm pretty sure you can't do this one, but if you could..... gah!

monty
2008-07-25, 06:39 PM
I thought Living Spell had to be an area effect with a non-instantaneous duration, or something like that.

shadow_archmagi
2008-07-25, 06:40 PM
What would a living Summon Monster spell do? Create monsters when it hits?

-argus

EDIT: What about a living Apocalypse from the Sky? I'm pretty sure you can't do this one, but if you could..... gah!

I'd assume it'd summon monsters inside of it, which would beat the poor bastard engulfed.

A living Apocalypse from the sky? Hmm. I'm not familiar with that one. I'd assume you take the full effects of the spell while engulfed.

How about a Living Nailed To The Sky?

shadow_archmagi
2008-07-25, 06:42 PM
I thought Living Spell had to be an area effect with a non-instantaneous duration, or something like that.

To quote my eberron book: A living spell appears much like a normal spell effect,
except that—even in the case of an instantaneous spell,
such as fireball—the magical energy lingers, writhing and
moving with purpose.

The template can be applied to any spells that create an area or
effect (not targeted spells), but not a spell whose effect is
already a creature (such as a summon monster spell)

arguskos
2008-07-25, 06:49 PM
Wow, that means you CAN apply it to Apocolypse from the Sky (it deals 20d6 damage of fire, acid, or sonic, to everything in a 1-mile per caster level radius, it's in Book of Vile Darkness). That's.... screwed up. :smalleek:

The poor Summon Monster ooze would be such a sad monster. I'd kill it, just to put it out of it's misery. :smallfrown:

Hmm.... maybe a living Foresight could be cool. Wizards would keep them around, just cause they're useful. They just have the ooze hit them every now and then, and get the Foresight benefits w/o casting it. :smallwink:

-argus

EDIT: durr, epic living spells. Those would be crazy. Imagine, a Living Vengeful Gaze of God spell... it's live long enough for just one hit, but that's enough I bet!

InkEyes
2008-07-25, 06:55 PM
One of the best ones I ever saw was a Move Earth and Irresistible Dance Combo. Basically, the hills come alive with the sound of music :smallbiggrin:.

It would be pretty fun to have a living prestidigitation spell fly and soil a random PC's pants.

bosssmiley
2008-07-25, 06:56 PM
Living Awaken: gets your own furniture to beat you to death. :smallamused:

Vexxation
2008-07-25, 06:57 PM
How about a living Finger of Death?
That'd be plenty creepy, a floating finger trying to poke everyone it sees...

Living Doom, a cloud of unhappiness and hopelessness that just hangs around, glooming everyone's days.

But really, the best Living Spell is an epic spell designed solely to replicate itself. That way you can overrun an entire planet, given enough time.

Emperor Tippy
2008-07-25, 06:59 PM
Living Disjunction. That one really pisses off the players. A living AMF is fun as well.

arguskos
2008-07-25, 07:00 PM
A living Fly spell, granting random forest critters the power to soar through the heavens.

A living Web spell, making spiders everywhere jealous.

A living Teleport, making adventurers the world over cry.

A living Time Stop. No one would ever see it, since it would die of old age before it even work up in the morning (since Time Stop technically hyper-speeds the subject, a living spell TS would spend it's whole life at hyperspeed, and so die just after being created. A... unique, and probably wrong way of looking at it, but damned funny IMO).

-argus

Vexxation
2008-07-25, 07:01 PM
Also, since Colin's not around at the moment, Living Mind Rape. Oh, what fun.

Bonus points if an Epic spell is made that allows the Living Mind Rape to turn its victims into itself.

Emperor Tippy
2008-07-25, 07:03 PM
Also, since Colin's not around at the moment, Living Mind Rape. Oh, what fun.

Bonus points if an Epic spell is made that allows the Living Mind Rape to turn its victims into itself.

Unfortunately Mind Rape can't be made into a living spell, at least not unless you can turn it into an area effect spell.

Vexxation
2008-07-25, 07:35 PM
Unfortunately Mind Rape can't be made into a living spell, at least not unless you can turn it into an area effect spell.

Meh.

Epic AOE Mind Rape.

Voila.

Never actually read the living spell rules. Didn't know it was AOE only, which kinda suks. But, hey! Epic magic lets anything happen.

monty
2008-07-25, 08:04 PM

Mind Rape, Mass?

And if we're suggesting epic spells, I'd like to nominate Animus Blizzard. Because a mobile undead factory would be awesome.

arguskos
2008-07-25, 08:07 PM
For an epic spell, living Tolodine's Killing Wind would be good too. Or that one spell in a Faerun book (can't remember the name) that creates a massive flood. That'd be a good living spell as well.

-argus

Recaiden
2008-07-25, 08:27 PM
For an epic spell, living Tolodine's Killing Wind would be good too. Or that one spell in a Faerun book (can't remember the name) that creates a massive flood. That'd be a good living spell as well.

-argus

Diluvial Torrent, basically an endless flood.
An even worse one from the same book is a living Necromantic Singularity.
All living things in a 1 mile radius with less than 1000 HD die, no save.

I kind of like Living Crown of Vermin, Living Raise Island, and Living Living Lightning (not a typo) and best, Living Verdigris Tsunami (100 years of plant growth)

Combination Teleport Field and Disjunction is really mean.

ColonelFuster
2008-07-25, 08:38 PM
Finger of Death FTW.
"What the Keeper is that?"
*POKE!*
"Bleahhh..." x_x
"What happened? Axe? Are you okay?"
*POKE!*
"Blar!"
*POKE!*
*POKE!*

You just need the right sound effect.

monty
2008-07-25, 08:45 PM
Bigby's <whatever> hand/fist could be interesting, if it counts as an area effect.

DrowVampyre
2008-07-25, 09:15 PM
Living Prestidigitation. Who knows exactly what it's gonna do...but it'll be entertaining!

llamamushroom
2008-07-25, 09:50 PM
These all just sound like random spirit-creature things - the Vengeful Spirit of Death's Finger, sort of thing.

How about a Living Wall of Force (or whatever it is)?

_Puppetmaster_
2008-07-25, 09:52 PM
I got my DM to give me an altered (did 0 damage with attacks) Living Prestigitigation as a familiar.

Best. Familiar. Ever.:smallbiggrin:

Hyozo
2008-07-25, 09:55 PM
Living Disjunction. That one really pisses off the players. A living AMF is fun as well.

When I saw this topic Living Dusjunction was the first thing that popped into my head. Other living spels are problematic and/or painful, disjunction is asking your players to start attacking the DM instead of his monster.

Immagine setting one of those loose in Sharn, or pretty much anywhere else in Khorvaire for that matter.

Irreverent Fool
2008-07-25, 10:34 PM
Living Locate City Bomb (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72212).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-07-25, 10:34 PM
Vertigroan
Living Spiritwall and Ray of Dizziness, Caster Level 9
Large Ooze
HD: 9d10+18
HP: 67
Initiative: +1
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
AC: 15 (-1 size, +1 dex, +5 deflection)
Touch AC: 15
FF AC: 14
BAB/Grapple: +6/+12
Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d6+3 plus 1d10 plus spell effects)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Ray of Dizziness, Spiritwall, Engulf
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., DR 10/Magic, SR 19, Ooze traits
Saves: F +5 R +4 W +4
Abilities: Str 15 Dex 12 Con 15 Int - Wis 12 Cha 15
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
CR: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: always Neutral
Advancement: -
LA: -

This being appears as a swirling mass of green-white forms resembling tortured spirits, with drab violet corkscrews of energy cascading among them. Upon detecting potential victims, it begins uttering a continual low groan as though in agony.

A Vertigroan will typically move toward any creatures it detects and attempt to Engulf as many as it can cover, afterward attempting to scatter any other opponents using its Spiritwall ability. It typically tries to use its Slam attack against creatures who aren't already affected by its Ray of Dizziness ability.

Spirit Wall (Su): Any creatures who come within 60 feet of one side of a groaning Vertigroan must make a DC 17 Will save or become Frightened and flee for 1d4 rounds. The side which emits this effect is typically directed at the largest group of opponents. Any creature struck by a Vertigroan's Slam attack takes an additional 1d10 points of damage as its life force is disrupted. Any creature Engulfed by a Vertigroan will also take this damage, and must succeed at a DC 17 Fortitude save or gain one negative level.

Ray of Dizziness (Su): Any creature struck by a Vertigroan's Slam attack or Engulfed by it experiences strong feelings of vertigo and can take only a move action or a standard action each round (but not both, and it cannot take a full-round action) for nine rounds. This is a mind-affecting effect.

Engulf (Ex): A Vertigroan can flow around creatures that fit within its space as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. A Vertigroan merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against a Vertigroan, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the spell moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the Spiritwall and Ray of Dizziness effects each round on the Vertigroan's turn and are considered to be grappled.

Power: Very few PCs have good Reflex and Will saves, so most characters will be either engulfed or frightened by its initial attack. Its no-save Ray of Dizziness ability will severely hinder a party's ability to escape or defeat it, and multiple Vertigroans will probably be trouble for even the toughest characters. The fear aura is a bit unfair given the limitations of the template, but it is definitely suitable considering the spell's effects.

Style: A dizzying array of groaning, tortured spirits. Most players won't have the slightest clue what they're up against, probably waste metagamey Turn Undead attempts, and after the battle, they'll just have to know what it was.

Win: No-save Ray of Dizziness, a strong/wide Fear aura, and every round that characters remain engulfed (which they can only make one attempt/round to escape) they'll both take damage and risk gaining a negative level. It can move up to its Blindsight range in a single move, and it can see out to the maximum range of its fear ability, so a DM only needs to keep note of 60 feet out from it, making this creature both powerful and easy to run. Putting two against 12th level PCs is sure to give any party a run for their money, especially if they approach from different sides.

arguskos
2008-07-25, 10:37 PM
Damn, just imagine setting ANY of these living spells loose ANYWHERE. A living cone of cold would just devastate villages left and right. What about a living junglerazor spell (deals 10d6 dmg to plants, fey, vermin, animals, and plant creatures)? It would literally devastate forests for miles before someone puts it down.

Living spells are too much fun. XD

-argus

Also, what about a living maze spell? Traps people at random when it hits. That'd be damn annoying, though it's big brother, the living imprisonment spell would be worse. Would a living imprisonment and a living freedom spell be natural enemies?

Irreverent Fool
2008-07-25, 10:40 PM
Style: A dizzying array of groaning, tortured spirits. Most players won't have the slightest clue what they're up against, probably waste metagamey Turn Undead attempts, and after the battle, they'll just have to know what it was.

I like it. But tell me: How is using "Turn Undead" on things that are sending out waves of fear and constantly making agonizing groaning sounds "metagamey"? Seems perfectly reasonable.

AslanCross
2008-07-25, 10:58 PM
Living Guards and Wards. Pretty darn confusing.

AgentPaper
2008-07-25, 11:08 PM
Living Create Undead, for obvious reasons.

Living unseen servant:

DM: You see a strange, spectral form in front of you.
Player: I use Turn Undead. Hah! 20!
DM: It doesn't seem to notice.
Player: OMFG this thing must be freaking powerful! RUN! BEFORE IT EATS OUR SOULS!
DM: heheheh.

arguskos
2008-07-25, 11:12 PM
Living Create Undead, for obvious reasons.

Living unseen servant:

DM: You see a strange, spectral form in front of you.
Player: I use Turn Undead. Hah! 20!
DM: It doesn't seem to notice.
Player: OMFG this thing must be freaking powerful! RUN! BEFORE IT EATS OUR SOULS!
DM: heheheh.
Sadly, I don't think Living Create Undead works, just like Living Summon Monster doesn't work (not an aoe spell).

Even though Unseen Servant doesn't work either... that's right about the most amusing thing I've seen all day.

Also, what about a living storm of vengeance? Would it blink out after 3 rounds? Or would it just roll-over and reset?

-argus

NOTE: I just realized that most of the living spells I want to work most don't, cause they aren't AoE, like Imprisonment or Teleport. I feel smart now. :smallsigh:

DrowVampyre
2008-07-25, 11:52 PM
NOTE: I just realized that most of the living spells I want to work most don't, cause they aren't AoE, like Imprisonment or Teleport. I feel smart now. :smallsigh:

Assuming the "or" in the quoted text of the template isn't a typo of "of", they don't have to be AoE, just can't be targeted. So rays and other effect spells would work.

shadow_archmagi
2008-07-25, 11:57 PM
Assuming the "or" in the quoted text of the template isn't a typo of "of", they don't have to be AoE, just can't be targeted. So rays and other effect spells would work.

I copied it word for word and made quite sure I had it all right. Its most definately area or effect. Whether THEY meant AOE or A or E is up to debate.

Create Undead wouldn't work, but isn't there an Animate Undead somewhere? Imagine; an Ooze of Inflict Major Wounds and Animate Dead... when you fall into it you get torn to pieces and then reanimated, and any zombies that fall in get patched up.

Locate City Bomb would be nice; anyone who touches it gets launched 300 miles. Sort of Reverse Flubber.

Emperor Tippy
2008-07-26, 12:01 AM

You can do teleport with teleportation circle.

Mewtarthio
2008-07-26, 12:22 AM
Locate City Bomb would be nice; anyone who touches it gets launched 300 miles. Sort of Reverse Flubber.

Strictly speaking, doesn't the living spell only have a radius of it's own area, so that a Living Locate City Bomb would only engulf people and forcibly spew them back out?

Of course, a Living Locate City would be awesome, just to screw with your players: I picture an ooze engulfing the party fighter, then just spitting him out, declaring "YOU ARE NOT A CITY," and continuing on as before.

Could also lead to some interesting plot hooks when it smacks an NPC and announces, "CITY DETECTED!"

Leewei
2008-07-26, 12:22 AM
How about a living permanent image? Make it something innocuous like a bard performing, or an elven lady cordially welcoming guests to her lord's estate.

Living entangle sounds fun and annoying. Heh. Living grease?

Living gust of wind or control winds could be fun.

A Living miracle which damned a city, turning its inhabitants into statues / frogs / bright red flowers, then hung around afterwards to snack on passersby.

Stycotl
2008-07-26, 12:37 AM
now, if i remember right, the fluff stated that these were the result of spells gone awry in whatever the name of that battlefield in eberron is called. so, it would stand to reason that there are a couple of metamagicked living spells floating around. a twinned living chain lightning. or an living cone of cold that does 15d6 cold *and* 15d6 acid damage, or something like that.

those spells are pretty neat on their own, when used against your pc's. and when they become living entities, they have the potential to really panic some players. but imagine the horror when they are facing level 13 living spells, metamagicked beyond their ability to comprehend.

sounds fun to me.

Jade_Tarem
2008-07-26, 12:54 AM
now, if i remember right, the fluff stated that these were the result of spells gone awry in whatever the name of that battlefield in eberron is called. so, it would stand to reason that there are a couple of metamagicked living spells floating around. a twinned living chain lightning. or an living cone of cold that does 15d6 cold *and* 15d6 acid damage, or something like that.

those spells are pretty neat on their own, when used against your pc's. and when they become living entities, they have the potential to really panic some players. but imagine the horror when they are facing level 13 living spells, metamagicked beyond their ability to comprehend.

sounds fun to me.

Not only that, you can actually lump spells together and have more than one effect per living ooze, as the vertigroan demonstrates.

Also, living Tsunami from the spell compendium. It would be hilarious if the ooze itself was small sized and only summoned tsunamis.

"Awwww... it's a cute little ooze."
"Hey, where'd the sun go?"

AgentPaper
2008-07-26, 12:59 AM
Living Alarm

*Boop Boop Boop Boop* Please step away from the blob! *Boop Boop Boop Boop*

BRC
2008-07-26, 01:02 AM
Living Magnificient Mansion: The blob engulfs you, and you wake up in an opulent mansion.

Living Irrisistable Dance: The BOOGEY BLOB!

SoD
2008-07-26, 01:15 AM
Living Bigby's Slapping Hand.

It engulfs you, then slaps you. Hard. In the face. Think of the fun at parties!

DrowVampyre
2008-07-26, 01:42 AM
Living Irrisistable Dance: The BOOGEY BLOB!

How will anyone be staying alive!?

MisterSaturnine
2008-07-26, 01:43 AM
How will anyone be staying alive!?

Why, by feeling the city breakin' and everybody shakin', of course.

namo
2008-07-26, 01:53 AM
Faerun meets Eberron: Living Mythals.

Living Prismatic spells: if you see something that looks like a rainbow, RUN !

AgentPaper
2008-07-26, 01:55 AM
Living Antimagic Field

Living Black Tentacles
Japanese schoolgirl rape machine.

Living Create Water

SoD
2008-07-26, 07:46 AM
Living Black Tentacles? Why do I feel the urge to contact Caracol?

monty
2008-07-26, 11:38 AM
Why, by feeling the city breakin' and everybody shakin', of course.

Fortunately, they built that city on rock and roll, so it won't break.

Jerthanis
2008-07-26, 12:10 PM
A living spell of silverbeard, a disembodied floating silver beard that unifies the dwarven people under its massive +2 bonus to diplomacy with dwarves.

KillianHawkeye
2008-07-26, 12:11 PM
Living Black Tentacles

Ah, ya beat me to it! :smallamused:

1of3
2008-07-26, 12:13 PM
Living Secret Chest - Vanishing closed boxes and setting them down some time later somewhere else.

Jade_Tarem
2008-07-26, 12:18 PM
Living Mass Owl's Wisdom: It can literally beat some sense into you.

Living Glitterdust/Reverse Gravity: Every hit sends you skyward in a shower of blinding sparks.

BRC
2008-07-26, 12:20 PM
Living expiditous Retreat; Run For It!

Jade_Tarem
2008-07-26, 12:22 PM
Living expiditous Retreat; Run For It!

Better still, Living Otiluke's Imperative Ambulation: We have to run for it!

Rebonack
2008-07-26, 12:25 PM
Living Enervation. According to Da Rulz anything slain by energy drain will rise as a wight eventually. It makes as an interesting alternative to the standard undead plague plot hook. I actually used it to give the Townies something to do on a slow day last year >_>

Living Prestidigitation. Would it be the least bit dangerious? Not really. Would it technically work by the rules for the template? Again, not really. Would an ooze that turns the PCs day-glow orange and constantly spits out fake-looking flowers be hilarious? You bet.

D_Lord
2008-07-26, 02:05 PM
Living Bear's endurance, imagon an ooze that makes things stronger.

Good idea, living spells into the Town there we come.

shadow_archmagi
2008-07-26, 02:11 PM
A Living Major Image and Disintegrate.

"Hey, look! Its santa! He wants a hug! AwwAAAAAAARGOHDEARGODWRRRRRY?"

_Puppetmaster_
2008-07-26, 02:11 PM
Living Bear's endurance, imagon an ooze that makes things stronger.
[/COLOR]

So, because it deals damage, what dosen't kill you literally makes you stronger.

@^: :smallamused:

BRC
2008-07-26, 02:33 PM
Living Irrisistable Dance+Dancing Lights+Ghost sound: The Rave Ooze.

shadow_archmagi
2008-07-26, 03:06 PM
Living Irrisistable Dance+Dancing Lights+Ghost sound: The Rave Ooze.

Living Fabricate/Minor Creation: Instant Makeover Blob.

wadledo
2008-07-26, 03:27 PM
I will make a campain about this, and it will be epic.
Not literaly of course, but still awesome.:smallbiggrin:

Hyozo
2008-07-26, 09:13 PM
Living Mass Owl's Wisdom: It can literally beat some sense into you.

The next time I DM I am definately using that.

The Glyphstone
2008-07-26, 09:27 PM
You can do teleport with teleportation circle.

I almost posted that, but Teleport Circle is a Effect spell, not an Area spell. :smalleek:

Collin152
2008-07-26, 09:33 PM
This thread makes me want to play an Eberron game.

It also gave me an idea for an Epic spell:
Mindrape, Mass.

And later on (As too much Epic Cheese just isn't fun or fair),
Mindrape Everyone.

Hmmm...
An Archmage Beguiler in Epic levels fighting an army of Living Spells with his likewise uber spellcasting buddies? Who wants to run this game?

Jade_Tarem
2008-07-26, 09:38 PM
I almost posted that, but Teleport Circle is a Effect spell, not an Area spell. :smalleek:

You could ressurect the AD&D spell Teleport Field, which is an area of effect spell - and it doesn't do what you think it does. :smallamused:

Collin152
2008-07-26, 09:40 PM
You could ressurect the AD&D spell Teleport Field, which is an area of effect spell - and it doesn't do what you think it does. :smallamused:

So... it doesn't transport fields from place to place?

Dang, I could have made a fortune in various construction projects.

arguskos
2008-07-26, 09:46 PM
I almost posted that, but Teleport Circle is a Effect spell, not an Area spell.

Actually... I just picked up the MM3 (wherein the Living Spell template lives) and discovered that the wording is "any spell that creates an area OR effect" (emphasis mine).

So, Teleportation Circle works.

An Archmage Beguiler in Epic levels fighting an army of Living Spells with his likewise uber spellcasting buddies? Who wants to run this game?
Also, most win campaign idea in the history of all eternity. :smallbiggrin:

-argus

Jade_Tarem
2008-07-26, 09:50 PM
So... it doesn't transport fields from place to place?

Dang, I could have made a fortune in various construction projects.

Actually, it teleports people to random locations inside the field at (I think) random times. It might not be the Mind Rape that you're so fond of, but it is a form of mind screw.

The Glyphstone
2008-07-26, 09:54 PM
Actually... I just picked up the MM3 (wherein the Living Spell template lives) and discovered that the wording is "any spell that creates an area OR effect" (emphasis mine).

Sweet.

Now, the question remains, where does a Living Teleportation Circle teleport you to?

Jade_Tarem
2008-07-26, 09:55 PM
Sweet.

Now, the question remains, where does a Living Teleportation Circle teleport you to?

This got covered in the original living spell thread. I think the consensus was that it would teleport you to the intended destination of the wizard who cast the spell.

Which, if you're DMing, means that it teleports them wherever you damn well please.

Ascension
2008-07-26, 09:58 PM
This got covered in the original living spell thread. I think the consensus was that it would teleport you to the intended destination of the wizard who cast the spell.

Which, if you're DMing, means that it teleports them wherever you damn well please.

Oh, the fun you could have with that... :smallbiggrin:

I think we've found a winner!

Collin152
2008-07-26, 10:01 PM

But only to that one point.
So it can't split up a party into more than two groups.

But hey, if I were an evil Archwizard (Not to say I'm not), I'd have a few of these keyed to my super-dungeons, just roaming the countryside.

Jade_Tarem
2008-07-26, 10:07 PM
But only to that one point.
So it can't split up a party into more than two groups.

But hey, if I were an evil Archwizard (Not to say I'm not), I'd have a few of these keyed to my super-dungeons, just roaming the countryside.

That's certainly a possiblity.

If you want to turn this into a full-blown high-level sidequest, you can have it shoot them, one at a time (as the ooze hits them), at a mad, evil wizard's lair with malevolent, shifting architecture and a random-setting delay teleportaion spell, and have the last one trip an area-wide dimensional anchor on the way in. Because of the way it's set up, players will be teleported to the same spot in a geograpical sense, but into all different parts of the dungeon. Some can be thrown into empty and forgotten rooms, others straight into deathtraps, and some even into walls and furniture, if you're feeling malicious. Better yet, because of the nature of the delay spell you're using (you're bending the rules on this, but you're the DM and can do that) players that are hit (and teleported) later in the fight with the blob can arrive sooner than those who were hit earlier, adding to the confusion.

Edit: You don't even have to have the last player in trigger a dimensional anchor on the way in. You could just have a living spell Teleport Circle/Area Dimensional Anchor (there is one, I promise) - giving you a spell that teleports your players without a save, and then makes them immune to teleportation. Remember that the dimensional anchor was probably cast by the same wizard who casted the Tcircle, so it will be pretty hard to dispel.

ghost_warlock
2008-07-27, 01:47 AM
I am completely astounded that nobody's mentioned the living defenestrating sphere. :smallconfused:

And let's not forget some living psionic effects. Not the most powerful or original, but I have a soft spot for the living crystalstorm (I think that's what it's called). Con damage, anyone?

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-27, 01:49 AM
Living anti-magic field?

golem1972
2008-07-27, 02:29 AM
to bad you can't make a living raise dead.

Darkantra
2008-07-27, 02:33 AM
Living Sympathy (technically it has an area), anyone hit by the ooze must make a will save or experience and overwhelming compulsion to leap inside of it :smallamused:.

Living Arcane Mark, tagging has never been so awesome.

Living Forcecage, why not have an ooze that is almost impossible to get out of?

Oh man... Living Clone! Every time it hits a character a perfect, naked, and soulless shell duplicate of them appears inside of the ooze. That is messed up :smallbiggrin:.

Jade_Tarem
2008-07-27, 03:53 AM
Living Sympathy (technically it has an area), anyone hit by the ooze must make a will save or experience and overwhelming compulsion to leap inside of it :smallamused:.

Living Arcane Mark, tagging has never been so awesome.

Living Forcecage, why not have an ooze that is almost impossible to get out of?

Oh man... Living Clone! Every time it hits a character a perfect, naked, and soulless shell duplicate of them appears inside of the ooze. That is messed up :smallbiggrin:.

I... I don't think clone has an area... :smalleek:
However, you have inspired me to be a cruel, cruel bastard with the next two:

For Mean DMs:

Living Mordenkainen's Disjunction/Inferno: You've lost all of your magic gear, and just when you think things can't get any worse, you spontaneously combust.

Living Reality Maelstrom/Shadow Landscape. I'm not sure about this one. The spell effect for Shadow Landscape indicates that it infuses the target area with a bit of the plane of shadow, but the spell effect for Reality Maelstrom indicates that players and objects sucked through the vortex/portal ball are transported to a plane at random, not all of which overlap with the plane of shadow. This leaves three options for resolving the inherent conflict:

1) The spell effect ejects them out into nothing space between planes.

2) The spell effect launches them out into the new plane and starts up a shadow landscape back where the ooze is, making it even harder for the other players to stay out of the vortex and avoid getting sent to random dimensions and planes. Remember: Even good aligned planes can be a bad place to go.

"Queen Morwen? Wow, you really do have two lovers! Uh oh..."

3) My personal favorite. The spell effect launches you out onto a random plane and the shadow landscape follows through. All of the shadow landscape effects are modifiers that make the existing conditions worse by set percentages. That means that the ooze can theroretically send someone to a place that is by definition 30% worse than the Ninth Level of Hell.

Serpentine
2008-07-27, 04:12 AM
The poor Summon Monster ooze would be such a sad monster. I'd kill it, just to put it out of it's misery. :smallfrown:Already exists: Summoning Ooze, MMIII p. 169.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83059.jpg

Int 10
The result of a bizarre summoning ritual gone awry, a summoning ooze is the living embodiment of a summoning circle. Capable of summoning various creatures to do its bidding, a summoning ooze is never fought alone.

DrowVampyre
2008-07-27, 04:22 AM
Living Mind Fog: Cohort of the archmages Chii'tch and Ch'ohng.

Darkantra
2008-07-27, 11:29 AM
I... I don't think clone has an area... :smalleek:

No, but it does have an effect, and a spell can be turned into a living spell as long as it has either an effect or an area, so Living Clone works :smallbiggrin:

Eikre
2008-07-27, 12:32 PM
Living Analyze Dweomer.

The ooze crawls over you... You hear a voice: "You are... Joe. 28 years old. You enjoy long walks on the beach and candlelit dinners. Black hair, brown eyes, B- bloodtype, heterosexual, favorite color is blue."

Dove
2008-07-27, 04:19 PM
I was playing under some homebrew construct rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55682) and created a living spell of Suppress Command. It was basically an EMP for constructs, which would shut them down and leave them helpless. Yeah, it wasn't totally legal by the rules for a Living Spell, but it was close enough and (I thought) pretty cool. The effect on the construct-packed area was interesting; many constructs the party came across had been partially shut down by these beasts, leading to very unexpected behavior.

At one point, the players came upon a bezerk clay golem and a Living Suppress Command fighting each other, and opted to just watch and see how it went. The living spell won, leaving the golem inert . . . and they hauled it off as loot!

KazilDarkeye
2008-07-27, 04:34 PM
(Sorry if this has been said before)

Living Reality Maelstrom.

Uses:
* Major random encounter
* Railroading DM Planar Aventure Plot Device (TM)

EagleWiz
2008-07-27, 05:26 PM
Living Magic Missile.
"You are not the darkness. Must be ejected"

Collin152
2008-07-27, 07:53 PM
Living Antipathy.
It Engulfs you, and you are gripped with the intense desire to get out of it.

...I'm not sure that's a very unique ability.

nargbop
2008-07-27, 10:52 PM
Living Animate City.
This is clearly a silly thread. I add to its silliness. I'm not even looking this up to see if it would work. This would be hilarious.
Animate City is a ninth-level spell from Races of Destiny that makes the city around you cartoony and very helpful - the buildings do +15 slam attack for 2d8+10 damage every round to every enemy within 60 feet. Whee! The bricks are my friends! They cannot be hurt!
The numbers of this spell are not particularly impressive, but the image is amazingly awesome. I want to make this spell my Permanent Emanation (and it is an emanation spell, too, out to 60 feet. Hee. They intended that feet for Detect Magic and such)

kaminobaka
2008-08-05, 02:41 PM
Disjunction ftw. Also storm of vengeance. Too bad the disjunction ooze would cancel out SoV if they combined.

Edit:Actually, I reread the template... it could probably work, since the ooze isn't affected by its own spell. So it would even be possible to combine disjuction and prismatic sphere.... FUN TIMES FOR MY PLAYERS BWAHAHA!

Orran
2008-08-05, 03:05 PM
Vertigroan

Power: Very few PCs have good Reflex and Will saves, so most characters will be either engulfed or frightened by its initial attack.

Finally the bard's time to shine!

IM@work
2008-08-05, 04:21 PM
How has no one mentioned living stone shape? Devestate a castle or city in interesting ways. Hey, why is there a tunnel/door/hole here? City sewers: think of the damage...

Living tenser's floating disk+ghost sound+dancing lights: rave machine/epilepsy.

Edit: glad someone knows of the summon monster ooze, makes for great traps.

Collin152
2008-08-05, 04:22 PM
Living tenser's floating disk+ghost sound+dancing lights: rave machine/epilepsy.

Better yet, Major Image.

Morty
2008-08-05, 04:23 PM
The first two spells from this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75192&highlight=sensual+spells) thread.:smalltongue:

Jade_Tarem
2008-08-05, 04:26 PM
Living Rage + Bull's Strength + Haste: Powerthirst

It's like living spell in a can!
It's living spell in a can!
Powerthirst is a living spell!

Yucca
2008-08-05, 06:23 PM
I like the idea of a living delayed blast fireball.

DM: The ooze hits.
Player: Does anything happen?
DM: No

5 rounds later

DM: Boom! Muhahahah!

It'd be even more fun if you could delay the blast by a longer amount of time.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-08-05, 06:27 PM
Living Rage + Bull's Strength + Haste: Powerthirst

It's like living spell in a can!
It's living spell in a can!
Powerthirst is a living spell!

*Giggle*:smallbiggrin:

IM@work
2008-08-06, 11:23 AM
400 babies...
You'll feel like a living spell made out of BICEPS!!!!

Duke of URL
2008-08-06, 11:42 AM
Sadly, I don't think Living Create Undead works, just like Living Summon Monster doesn't work (not an aoe spell).

No, but a Living Fell Animated cone of cold or something like that could be fun.

How would a Living cure serious wounds, mass work? I hate you (and hit you) but I love you (and heal you)?

A living zone of truth would be an inquisitor's best friend...

Edit: If I weren't so deep into several other projects right now, I would love to make a scenario/game based on an eccentric wizard who was fascinated by living spells -- he experimented with all sorts, but was killed by one of his more dangerous creations. Now, the PCs have to hunt down the various escaped living spells, some annoying, others amusing, and still others massively dangerous.

Anyone know a good way to grant an intelligence score to a non-intelligent creature (specifically, an ooze)?

Chronos
2008-08-06, 12:50 PM
Anyone know a good way to grant an intelligence score to a non-intelligent creature (specifically, an ooze)?I know of two: Either the Sentry Ooze template, or the Half-Fiend template. Well, ok, strictly speaking the latter isn't a good way to grant it.

Duke of URL
2008-08-06, 01:44 PM
I know of two: Either the Sentry Ooze template, or the Half-Fiend template. Well, ok, strictly speaking the latter isn't a good way to grant it.

Actually, I think you meant Fiendish Creature (grants a minimum 3 INT), as opposed to Half-Fiend (requires 4 INT).

In any case, I think we have here the makings of a wonderful BBEO...

monty
2008-08-06, 01:44 PM
I know of two: Either the Sentry Ooze template, or the Half-Fiend template. Well, ok, strictly speaking the latter isn't a good way to grant it.

"Half-fiend" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more and nongood alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Emphasis mine. Sentry Ooze it is.

Edit: Ninja'd

Telonius
2008-08-06, 02:22 PM
Living Detect Magic. "Yep. I'm here."

Would a Living Fox's Cunning have an intellligence score?

Mr.Bookworm
2008-08-06, 09:49 PM
Anyone know a good way to grant an intelligence score to a non-intelligent creature (specifically, an ooze)?[/I]

I know you probably want a rulesy way to do it, but I doubt that your players would complain if you just said "the oozes are smarter than normal". You could work it into the story pretty easy I'd say.

Also, you can do a Living Wish. That would be interesting.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-06, 09:58 PM
Grease + Lightning:

Grease Lightning! Go Grease Lightning!
:smallbiggrin:

NeoVid
2008-08-08, 04:51 AM
Living Otiluke's Resilient Sphere. You will NEVER ESCAPE from being engulfed. Imagine the party's reaction at seeing an ooze with a wraith trapped inside...

Living Widened Blade Barrier. The elves will not be happy when a 40 foot wide crawling sawblade travels through their forests.

NeoVid
2008-08-08, 04:55 AM
As if we weren't realizing how damned funny living spells are already, I just got the image of the living Otiluke's Sphere as the Hamster Ball of Doom.

Jade_Tarem
2008-08-08, 09:26 AM
Grease + Lightning:

Grease Lightning! Go Grease Lightning!
:smallbiggrin:

God forbid that that combination actually gives you Hairspray instead. The musical theater culture would implode.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-08, 01:13 PM
The old edition first level Wild Magist spell Nahaal's Reckless Dweomer.

Call Faithful Guardians could be interesting.

Living Gate spell would be interesting.

FMArthur
2008-08-08, 01:58 PM
Living Mass Suggestion: "Make the blob your king".

Chronos
2008-08-08, 03:08 PM
Living Genesis wouldn't be too bad, as a high-level campaign hook. It's continually growing, replacing the pre-existing reality wherever it reaches with a featureless, lifeless expanse.