PDA

View Full Version : Dollhouse

Jayngfet
2008-07-26, 05:28 AM
Joss Whedon's new project Dollhouse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollhouse_(TV_series)) is airing sometime in january...

...On FOX.

The Duskblade
2008-07-26, 10:39 AM
I belive that this is somewhat called for:

Dun dun DUN!

While I doubt I'll be as interested in it as I was in Firfly I'm still hoping Fox won't be there usual brand of retarded. As it is they would seem to have cancled every other decent show they have ever gotten.

JadedDM
2008-07-28, 10:38 PM
Hurr, hurr....Eliza Dushku...:smallredface:

Seriously, though. I'm sure I'll enjoy the three episodes they actually air, and then will be sure to pick up the remaining unaired episodes later on DVD. Unless, of course, the show makes FOX's projections of infinity billion dollars, in which case the show will be on the air for over 15 years, long after it's become stale and lost all of its charm.

Because at FOX, those are your two choices: Fast death and slow death.

DeathQuaker
2008-07-29, 07:04 AM
Given that IIRC the contract was for 9 episodes, I can hope that FOX will air those 9 episodes. In the right order? Who knows, but we know it's for a finite contract and I think Whedon made sure certain things were set in stone before he went forward with it. So hopefully that even if it is a shortlived series, we know in advance it will be such and can take it for what it is.

Of course, if they ask for a new contract for more episodes later, yay, but at least it's not like cancellation will come out of nowhere.

Philistine
2008-07-29, 10:14 AM
I thought I read that the contract is for 13 episodes.

How many of those FOX will air, though... well, that's the question, isn't it? It's not a "reality" show, so I don't really expect it to last that long.

Mewtarthio
2008-07-30, 08:10 PM
Honestly, you'd think Joss Whedon would've learned his lesson from Firefly. This does give me the vague hope that he actually has reason to believe things would turn out differently, but it's pretty mild. Perhaps we should start a petition to keep it on the air right now. Any takers?

On the topic of the show itself: The concept doesn't interest me all that much*, and I probably wouldn't give this a chance if it weren't for Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku. Still, since it is Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku, I'll at least watch the first episode.

*Note that this isn't meant to disparage the show's premise as unoriginal or boring; I'm just not all that intrigued by it. Granted, I wouldn't have been all that intrigued by "high school girl with superpowers fighting demons," which is why I'm giving it a shot.

Jimorian
2008-07-30, 08:39 PM
If Joss is smart, he has the following clause in his contract with FOX:

"In the case that the FOX Network fails to air all contracted episodes in their primetime lineup within 6 months, they get NO PART of the sure to be massive DVD sales revenues."

Verruckt
2008-07-30, 10:13 PM
Because at FOX, you either die a hero or live long enough to become Buffy :smallamused:.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-07-30, 10:52 PM
As it is they would seem to have cancled every other decent show they have ever gotten.

I beg to differ on that remark. Married with Children, and X-Files, Beverly Hills 90210, and Melrose Place were all very popular and all had very long runs on Fox. Currently, they have 24 and House, which don't have a forseeable(sp?) end in sight.

As for Joss Whedon, I'll pass, as I really don't care for anything of his.

Joran
2008-07-31, 04:37 PM
The concept of Dolls sounds a bit close to the premise of Dark City; programmable memories/personalities.

I look forward to it as I do all Joss Whedon productions. However, I need to start being careful about happy people; crap always happens to the happy people =P

Mewtarthio
2008-07-31, 06:02 PM
I look forward to it as I do all Joss Whedon productions. However, I need to start being careful about happy people; crap always happens to the happy people =P

I don't think it's happy people in particular (crap happens to everyone; you just notice it more on the happy people): I think the trick is to avoid getting attatched to anyone in a happy, stable relationship. The bonds of love are made out of barbed wire. Always remember that.

Dirty, tetanus-coated barbed wire.

snoopy13a
2008-08-03, 06:52 PM
Fox will stick it on Friday night and then wonder why no one watches it.

I'm not sure about the idea behind the show. Constant changing of some of the main characters' personalities could be hard to follow.

North
2008-08-03, 06:58 PM
Looking forward to it a lot. I think I read somewhere though that they were showing the second episode first or some nonsense.

Jayngfet
2008-08-03, 08:20 PM
Looking forward to it a lot. I think I read somewhere though that they were showing the second episode first or some nonsense.

Preemptively screwed by the network? Okay I second the petition thing.

TRM
2008-08-03, 08:28 PM
Preemptively screwed by the network? Okay I second the petition thing.
Not quite, according to Wikipedia and its external link (http://whedonesque.com/comments/17005) it was Whedon's idea to air the pilot later. (I'm just making sure that everyone gets represented fairly :smallsmile:)

On topic: Yeah, it looks like it might be interesting—but I'm doubtful that it will be able to get anywhere in just 9 (or 13, or whatever) episodes. How much plot or character development can you fit into 9 1-hour segments?

Jayngfet
2008-08-03, 08:43 PM
Not quite, according to Wikipedia and its external link (http://whedonesque.com/comments/17005) it was Whedon's idea to air the pilot later. (I'm just making sure that everyone gets represented fairly :smallsmile:)

On topic: Yeah, it looks like it might be interesting—but I'm doubtful that it will be able to get anywhere in just 9 (or 13, or whatever) episodes. How much plot or character development can you fit into 9 1-hour segments?

Before the newer episodes the original continuity of Tenchi Muyo had about twelve episodes, about seven hours total.

Mewtarthio
2008-08-03, 08:46 PM
How much plot or character development can you fit into 9 1-hour segments?

...I take it you don't watch too many feature-length, two-hour-long movies. :smallamused: Yes, it would be better to have twenty-odd hour-long segments, but you can still get entertainment out of a half-season.

TRM
2008-08-03, 08:47 PM
...I take it you don't watch too many feature-length, two-hour-long movies. :smallamused: Yes, it would be better to have twenty-odd hour-long segments, but you can still get entertainment out of a half-season.
*grumble* TV shows and feature films are different, grumble... *places foot in own mouth*

North
2008-08-03, 08:52 PM

Yeah, I wonder Whedon saying it was his idea is a load of bull. If he was planning on not doing the first show first, then why make it the first show?

Joran
2008-08-03, 10:13 PM

Firefly was done the same way... Second episode first, pilot later (last episode I saw aired, freakin' heck).

As long as Joss Whedon prepares for it, it can have a fairly satisfying ending. I point to Wonderfalls as the perfect example. There were a few loose ends here or there, but the main story ended in a good place, because the creators planned for it to have a satisfying stopping point at 13 episodes in case they got canceled =P

TheLogman
2008-08-03, 10:31 PM
Full Metal Alchemist was quite the same way too. The first episode did little to explain the character's backstory, which was completely explained in later episodes.

As for this new show, honestly, sounds a little like Chuck, but with different things. Seems like the "hook" is a characterless person developing character, so I don't expect much from this show. If it gets good reviews, I might watch it, but I dunno.

Philistine
2008-08-09, 01:04 AM
Firefly was done the same way... Second episode first, pilot later (last episode I saw aired, freakin' heck).

As long as Joss Whedon prepares for it, it can have a fairly satisfying ending. I point to Wonderfalls as the perfect example. There were a few loose ends here or there, but the main story ended in a good place, because the creators planned for it to have a satisfying stopping point at 13 episodes in case they got canceled =P

The pilot was the last episode that aired when FOX pulled the plug on the series, IIRC.

One difference between this and Firefly: with Firefly, as I understand it, the pilot was supposed ot be the first episode until very shortly before the air date; "The Train Job" was adapted at the last minute as a pseudo-pilot. Here, we've got months and months of advance notice. So hopefully it will go a little more smoothly.

Unrelated to that, here's a possible point of interest. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDcEKo4V7fA&feature=related)