PDA

View Full Version : Scrying (3.5)

PanNarrans
2008-07-26, 08:57 AM
If a scrying attempt fails on one party member, but a subsequent attempt succeeds on another, what happens if the subject of the first attempt moves into the 10ft radius of the second?
In other words, can the BBEG just keep moving down the will save bonus ladder until someone fails, and observe the whole party as that person moves around?
My instinct says yes, but I'm sure if I were a player and tried this my DM would smack me upside the head with the arcane focus. Leading to seven years of bad luck for the campaign as a whole. :smallwink:

Viruzzo
2008-07-26, 09:38 AM
There is a giant thread dedicated to Q&A, so you should post there. Anyway, text for the spell says "if the save succeeds, you can’t attempt to scry on that subject again for at least 24 hours", so there is no problem as long as you target someone else.

KillianHawkeye
2008-07-26, 12:16 PM
You have to recast the spell again and again until someone failed, but yes it'd work. A smart wizard would start with the weakest Will save to avoid this. But since whoever happens to walk into the area isn't the spell's actual target, it doesn't matter if you already tried scrying on them.

PanNarrans
2008-07-28, 02:56 PM
Thanks very muchly. Seems my instinct was right, although it seems a lot like the brute force approach to hacking.