PDA

View Full Version : The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides...

Neon Knight
2008-07-26, 11:58 PM
This thread has nothing else to do with either Pulp Fiction or Samuel L. Jackson.

Returning after a period of other 1 month and 2 weeks of absolutely zero roleplaying, I need to get back in the game. And I've decided to do so as a pilgrim.

Not a Mayflower pilgrim, for those that think that's the only kind. I need a god. I'm going either Cloistered Cleric or classic Cleric (Sadly, a classical Cleric will have to wait until I get in the mood to play a bard.) A god of travel or something similar would be the obvious choice, but I'm not very familiar with any of them. I could end up in any campaign setting, so don't feel necessary to limit yourself to Greyhawk.

The only other thing I didn't have nailed down was age; I've become somewhat interested in older adventurers, mostly due to articles I've read about how the Soviets didn't let their soldiers, particularly their fighter pilots, retire until they were in their late forties. Also due to that one chase scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, where most of the German soldiers appear to have white hair. So yeah, hoary veteran is kind of becoming a motif with me. Are their any deities with a particular love for elders, as an alternate to the travel god? If I could get both in one package that would be sweet.

Learnedguy
2008-07-27, 05:58 AM
So, what you want is a word weary war veteran cleric (or something like that) in his mid forties to fifties who've become disillusioned with the state of the world compared to his early youth naiveté that made him join the king's army.

Sounds pretty good. Now, did he choose god before or after he quit the army? What made him quit? Why is he on a pilgrimage? What is he searching for? Has he given up hope? How is his relationship with his deity?

I think that's the questions you should be asking yourself. Otherwise, I like the concept, it sounds sweet:smallwink:

Armoury99
2008-07-27, 06:12 AM
Sounds like Fharlanghan, Dweller on the Far Horizon, is for you (at least Greyhawk-wise). Portfolio of Horizons, Distance, Travel, Roads. The ideal pilgrm god.

Ascension
2008-07-27, 09:27 AM
Sounds like Fharlanghan, Dweller on the Far Horizon, is for you (at least Greyhawk-wise). Portfolio of Horizons, Distance, Travel, Roads. The ideal pilgrm god.

Ideal, that is, unless you find yourself having to pronounce his name. :smallbiggrin:

Tengu_temp
2008-07-27, 10:00 AM
I second Far-lan-gan.