PDA

View Full Version : A Little Piece of Heaven [Creature]

The Demented One
2008-07-27, 01:28 AM
Lament
Medium Undead (Incarnum, Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 10d12 (65 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: Fly 50 ft. (10 squares) (perfect)
Armor Class: 18 (+3 Dex, +5 deflection), touch 18, flatfooted 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/—
Attack: Incorporeal Touch +8 melee (1d8)
Full Attack: Incorporeal Touch +8 melee (1d8)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Corpse puppet, soul proxy
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to cold, incorporeal traits, spell resistance 18, undead traits
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str —, Dex 16, Con —, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +13, Concentration +12, Intimidate +13, Spellcraft+12
Feats: Undead Meldshaper, Necrocarnum Acolyte (http://www.realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Necrocarnum_Acolyte,MoI), Lifesense (http://www.realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Lifesense,LM), Improved Initiative
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
Advancement: By class level (Favored Class: Incarnate)
Level Adjustment: +6

Laments are fragmented, damaged souls, created whenever someone dies in a period of intense emotional stress. Unable to cope with their agony, their souls fracture, part of it going on to the afterlife, the remainders lingering in the world of the living as a Lament. These incomplete souls are able to fuse themselves to dead bodies, animating them as corpse puppets, used in accomplishing whatever goals the Lament had as it died. Most Laments single-mindedly fixate one a single task, going to any lengths to achieve it and viciously attacking anyone who stands in their way. A Lament in its natural form appears as an incorporeal, vaguely humanoid figure that glows a dark blue. Where its face would normally be, there is instead a smooth, mirror-like surface across which cracks spread in intricate patterns.

Corpse Puppet (Su)
As a full-round action, a Lament may possess the corpse of any dead corporeal creature that has a skeleton. The possessed corpse is animated as a necrocarnum zombie, under the Lament’s control. The Lament uses the necrocarnum zombie’s HD to determine your hp, BAB, and base saves, as well as its Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores. It retains its own Intelligence, Charisma, and Wisdom scores, as well as its skills and feats, which it does not gain from the zombie, though it still gains Toughness as a bonus feat. It gains all special attacks and qualities possessed by the creature, while retaining all of its own. While possessing a corpse, the Lament uses the zombie's hp in place of its own—damage dealt to the zombie is also dealt to the Lament, and they are treated as a single fused creature. If the zombie is destroyed, the Lament is as well. A Lament may exit a possessed corpse as a full-round action; upon doing so, it reverts to its own hp at the time it possessed the corpse. If the dispel evil is cast on a possessed necrocarnum zombie, the Lament is forced out and takes 10d6 damage, while the zombie is destroyed. A Lament cannot re-possess a body it has been expelled from. To determine the Challenge Rating of a necrocarnum zombie possessed by a Lament, treat them as a mixed group of the zombie and the Lament.

Soul Proxy (Su)
While possessing a corpse, a Lament gains the ability to shape soulmelds as a 5th level incarnate. It has no essentia of its own, instead using that of the necrocarnum zombie it possesses. However, it grants the zombie one point of bonus essentia, plus an additional point for every four HD the zombie has. A Lament’s soulmelds have an essentia capacity of two, and it can bindone of its soulmelds to its host’s chakras. A Lament can access the crown, feet, and hands chakra, assuming its host’s body possesses the anatomy to allow those chakras. Most Laments shape the fellmist robe, lightning gauntlets, necrocarnum circlet, and necrocarnum shroud soulmelds. The effects of these soulmelds are not factored in to the statblock above.

The Demented One
2008-07-28, 10:13 AM
And a bump for good measure.

dyslexicfaser
2008-07-28, 04:33 PM
Not much to add -

It's pretty cool. I'm of the opinion that Incarnum doesn't get enough love, and a spirit possessing the dead is appropriately creepy. Creepy enough that I'm kind of hoping we don't run into one in 'Beneath the Sea'.

Also, typo in the first sentence (should be 'damaged souls').

Silence
2008-07-28, 04:35 PM
Hmmm... really nice concept. I like it.

The Demented One
2008-07-28, 05:20 PM
It's pretty cool. I'm of the opinion that Incarnum doesn't get enough love, and a spirit possessing the dead is appropriately creepy. Creepy enough that I'm kind of hoping we don't run into one in 'Beneath the Sea'.
Gentlemen, behold Specimen A: A live specimen, captured in the deepest darkness of the Homebrew forums, of the strange beast called "irony."

dyslexicfaser
2008-07-28, 09:43 PM
Gentlemen, behold Specimen A: A live specimen, captured in the deepest darkness of the Homebrew forums, of the strange beast called "irony."

I'm not always good at recognizing irony.

Is it ironic because until I said anything, you hadn't thought of using it in our PbP game?

The Demented One
2008-07-28, 10:00 PM
I'm not always good at recognizing irony.

Is it ironic because until I said anything, you hadn't thought of using it in our PbP game?
Bingo. Much cooler than just normal ghosts.