PDA

View Full Version : Stop just existing and start living

Midnight Son
2008-07-27, 02:04 AM
This is a thread to help me, but others may choose to use it for the same.

The problem is, I have come to realize, that I am existing my way through life. I have decided to change this, but the task is a bit daunting. First, I am going to quit my job. I work for a large corporation and feel that I am having the life slowly sucked out of me by this. I need and crave change. Here's the tricky part. I want to start my own business, but have very little practical experience with entrepreneurship. The other roadblock is that I will need to have a way to live while getting the business started, which means taking another job that will take up my time.

Things that interest me: Ever since I was a teen, I have wanted to own a restaurant. As of now, the type that most interests me would be a pizza place. Also, since my trip last March to Sea World, I have been interested in working with animals. Now, I'm not going to go to college again and take the many years to get a Swimming with Fishes degree, but some sort of pet thing might be fun. When I was in Baltimore visiting with Zeb and Alarra after the Trogland meet-up, we went to pick up their dog at a kennel of some sort. It looked like an interesting and worthwhile business.

Anyway, its the getting started that has me worried. I am quite sure of my ability to run a business, just not my ability to get it off the ground, so to speak. I also worry that, in taking another job to live on while getting my dream in motion, I will fall back to my just existing habit again.

I am looking at sites on the web that are supposedly designed to help small businesses get started, but any advice from anyone already owning a business might help.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 02:08 AM
Apart from sending Reiki, I can't really help here (I don't know anything about running a buisness). In regards to opening a restaurant, how much competition will you have if you open one, and how long do pizza restaurants ususally last in your area?

zeratul
2008-07-27, 02:11 AM
I'm not sure I can be of much service other than to say I commend you for taking the steps so many fear to take. Best of luck to you on your journey.

Midnight Son
2008-07-27, 02:12 AM
Depends on locations and whether I'm looking to franchise or own it straight up. There are several, non-generic(in other words, not Pizza Hut) franchises that do well in the area, and I could do well with one of them. Owning straight up is harder, but pays better if it succeeds. The one down the street seems to change hands every year or so, but there are others in the vicinity that have been around for ages. If I go that route, I'll have to see about opening near a college campus or some such.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-27, 02:14 AM
If you want a resturaunt, theres one thing you have to remember. Never mass produce. In my town, a McDonald's opened up next to a small mom 'n pop burger place. The McDonald's made mass production, tasteless burgers that could be served in about 30 seconds. The place next door, Ray's, Took about 5 minutes to make a burger. The cook would take a piece of meat out of the fridge, grind it, pack it, grill it, then ask you what you want on it. The burgers were thick, juicy, and well worth the wait as well a very competative with Mcdonald's prices. the McDonald's closed down 4 months after opening. Basically I'm saying, never let quality be trumped by quantity.

Amotis
2008-07-27, 02:18 AM
Which sites are you looking at?

(Running my own LLC is kinda a goal of mine...>.>)

http://www.score.org/index.html

http://www.sba.gov/services/financialassistance/index.html

are two good sites that I always spend some time on per week. Finding people who are or have gone through what you want to do is actually easier then one would think.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 02:19 AM
That's interresting, PirateJesus (I remember Bil Bryson claiming in "Notes from a Big Country" that a lot of Americans only like things that they are familiar with, so big chains almost always put small places out of buisness. I'm pleased that things aren't like that, at least not everywhere.:smallsmile:). Being near a college campus would be good. (I'm assuming rent will be higher, though. This won't be as much of an issue once you're established, though, assuming that your pizzas are good as well as not being too expensive.) I'm not a big gimmick fan, but do you have any ideas which would at least make your place look different to other restaurants in the area? That could be useful for getting publicity early on.

Pyrian
2008-07-27, 02:23 AM
I've never understood the "quit my job and start something new" dynamic. Maybe I'm just too cautious, but... You're going to quit your job to get a new job to tide you over while you do something new? What qualities in the hypothetical new job are lacking in the current one, if it's not what you want to be doing in the first place? Why not just start your new project and keep your current job? Or, at least, find the new (less stressful?) job, then quit your current job, then work on the restaurant project.

Serpentine
2008-07-27, 02:28 AM
I'd suggest that it'd be a good idea to start looking and asking around for someone who has had experience in this field to either go into a partnership with you or just to give you advice as you go. I wish you a lot of luck on it, though, and hope it goes really really well!

Personally, I'm going to try to lose this last ~10kg (it was 15, but I lost that extra 5 in a few weeks :smallsigh::smalleek::smallcool:) and obtain a scuba diving license before my week-long field trip to Heron Island, on the southern tip of the Great Barrier Reef, for a class in late spring/early summer :smallcool: Also I need to get on and get my driver's license :smallsigh:

Midnight Son
2008-07-27, 02:29 AM
That's interresting, PirateJesus (I remember Bil Bryson claiming in "Notes from a Big Country" that a lot of Americans only like things that they are familiar with, so big chains almost always put small places out of buisness. I'm pleased that things aren't like that, at least not everywhere.:smallsmile:). Being near a college campus would be good. (I'm assuming rent will be higher, though. This won't be as much of an issue once you're established, though, assuming that your pizzas are good as well as not being too expensive.) I'm not a big gimmick fan, but do you have any ideas which would at least make your place look different to other restaurants in the area? That could be useful for getting publicity early on.Well, I could always use a theme. I'm from Alaska, maybe run something in that vein. Either that or I could see if a web comic somewhere wants to license his merchandise. What do you think; Giant Pizza in the PlaygroundTM?:smallbiggrin:

Edit: Pyrian, the problem is that I'm working during the hours one would be getting a job. On top of that, as I said, I feel the life being sucked out of me every time I even enter the building. I'm not kidding when I say that I need change. I'm also considering taking a month off of any work and riding my bike across the country.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 02:32 AM
I don't know if OotS is well known enough for that to work, but it would be good if Rich would licence you (if noting else, it would lead to him getting free advertising). Which part of America are you based in at the minute? Serpentine has a point about getting someone who has experience to help you out.

Serpentine
2008-07-27, 02:33 AM
I know! How about Geek Chic Pizza? :smallbiggrin: You could somehow acquire a bunch of retro arcade games, and have a shrine to Gigax in the corner, and... and... stuff. Probably not relevant in the least, but I always really like it when restraunts have some sort of game or somesuch to entertain people when they're waiting. It's normally chess, but there'd be lots of appropriate ones.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 02:36 AM
That's an excellent idea as well, Serpentine. I suppose if you did have arcade games, you gould have tournaments with prizes to get some publicity. (Picking a prize would be awkward, though; on 1 hand, it needs to be cheap enough to avoid putting a dstrain on your finances, but it also needs to be good enough to get people interrested in entering the contest).

Midnight Son
2008-07-27, 02:39 AM
I live in Utah at the moment. Not sure I want to stay here, either. change.

Oh, and Amotis, those are the two sites I've been to so far, coincidentally.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 02:45 AM
An Alaska-theamed place would definitly be unique. I'll tell you if I can think of anything else that could help (I'm out of ideas.:smallfrown:)

Kjata
2008-07-27, 04:33 AM
I know! How about Geek Chic Pizza? :smallbiggrin: You could somehow acquire a bunch of retro arcade games, and have a shrine to Gigax in the corner, and... and... stuff. Probably not relevant in the least, but I always really like it when restraunts have some sort of game or somesuch to entertain people when they're waiting. It's normally chess, but there'd be lots of appropriate ones.

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD idea... Alienating a lot of people is bad for business... A nerd themed place would alienate people in a way say, an alaskan place, wouldnt. You dont need to be from alaska to be go to such a place, but you would need to be a nerd to like such a place, and honestly, isnt it the drunk frat guys and teenagers who eat the most pizza?

CrazedGoblin
2008-07-27, 05:55 AM

if a restaurant like that opened up where i live i know id eat there, that sounds very cool :smallbiggrin:

mistformsquirrl
2008-07-27, 06:07 AM
I can't offer much advice (I'm in my own very similar situation) - But I can say; I think you're making a wise decision! Good luck <^-^>

I'd also like to mention that independent pizza shops are frakking awesome - we have a couple here in town that are *SO* much better than the chain places its just... well frankly its ridiculous how much better they are; which is precisely how they compete despite low name recognition. Plus there's /always/ a demand for pizza <,<

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-27, 06:14 AM
I'm existing....

Have atleast around three years more of it untill I maybe can start living....

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 06:42 AM
Kjata probably has a point. Arcade games would still be useful for various reasons, though (if you can afford them).

Rawhide
2008-07-27, 07:02 AM
This is _way_ off topic, as it has nothing to do with setting up the business or what business to run and how. But if you're looking for a little thing to be a diversion while people wait for their pizza/other food, you might consider a machine such as this one (http://www.amazon.com/Global-Arcade-Mortal-Classic-Cabinet/dp/B000X14JXK/ref=pd_sbs_t_2), this one (http://www.amazon.com/Arcade-Legends-Full%252dSize-Cabinet-9500/dp/B000BNZBJQ/ref=pd_sbs_t_3) with possible expansion (http://www.amazon.com/Arcade-Legends-Megapack/dp/B000GF2W00/ref=pd_sbs_sg_6) packs (http://www.amazon.com/Arcade-Legends-Dragons-Lair-Anniversary/dp/B000GFDJ2K/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1) or similar (these were found after a very quick search, cheaper ones are available). Honestly, I do feel one of those machines would suit any pizza environment, especially given the waiting period.

I would also strongly suggest looking into the franchise opportunity. With the right franchise, you will get a lot of support, training, advertising cheaper wholesale products and pre-existing word of mouth. It may eat into your profit margins but it may also make them larger in the first place and generally make things easier for you. Usually too, you can terminate the franchise agreement if it is not working out for you, completely rebrand the place and continue business entirely on your own.

13_CBS
2008-07-27, 07:48 AM
I don't know too much about PIZZA restaurants, but I have experience with small, non-chain restaurants. My mother used to own one, you see. We served "American" food (ranging from southern-style fried chicken to beef stroganof (sp?) to hamburgers to meatloaf to...well, "American" food) plus a few other things including a salad bar. We had about 5-6 employees plus my mother, my aunt, and the occasional family member who helped out.

Again, I don't know how this will work in a pizza restaurant, but...first rule of owning a restaurant and running it:

It is hard.

It is VERY hard.

I could be exaggerating since my mother worked at her restaurant on an inhuman level (no vacations for her, ever, unless the restaurant was closed due to mandatory holidays like Christmas or Thanksgiving), but expect difficulties if you don't plan on just sitting behind a desk going pushing pencils and papers. On top of managing duties, of which there probably will be many, you'll also probably have to do plenty of grunt work like flattening the dough and such. You're in luck that pizzas don't require heavy-duty cooking and cleaning equipment like roast beef (I think...are pizzas more difficult to make than I thought?), and preparing a pizza for cooking might end up being slightly less difficult than chopping up lots of chickens and preparing them for the deep fryer, but if you have to do grunt work expect it to be difficult. You will literally put your blood, sweat, and tears into this work.

If you're hard-core about your ingredients as well, expect things to be more difficult (and possibly more strenuous). I remember spending most of my Saturdays not in front of a television but going with my mom to the local Sam's and hand picking out the coming week's ingredients. We did this because my mother thought that the stuff that we simply ordered wasn't always fresh or of high quality, so we always hand-picked our ingredients. If you choose this route, you could spend anywhere from $500-$1000 USD per week on ingredients, all of which you may have to pick out, transport, load + unload, and stick into refrigerators. Oh, and you might have to buy your own cleaning supplies as well.

HOWEVER!

If the local Papa John's I've been to are of any indication, it won't be NEARLY as hard as the stuff I've been describing. What I have described will likely be no more than the absolute worst possible scenario. But again, it may be difficult. Running a restaurant is not easy, I assure you. I've been through it.

Destro_Yersul
2008-07-27, 08:11 AM
We talked about this a lot in the marketing class I took. Basically it boils down to being different, but in a way that makes people go "hey, that's interesting" rather than "Not for me, moving on." Have a gimmick that makes people want to go there, and most importantly, sell quality products. Good advertisement design is also important. You don't want to crowd the add and make it too complicated, but you don't want it to be too sparse either. Managing any business would be a balancing act, but the ones that have to sell themselves as well as the product would be even worse. Oh, and make sure you can meet your bottom line. Starting a business is hellishly expensive.

SMEE
2008-07-27, 09:04 AM
Although I never had a business in the food market, I have enough experience as a business woman to try to give some advice.

First and foremost:

On top of that, as I said, I feel the life being sucked out of me every time I even enter the building. I'm not kidding when I say that I need change. I'm also considering taking a month off of any work and riding my bike across the country.

This is a clear sign that you need to quit. I'm happy that you realized it already.

To set a small food business, I would take into account two main factors:

1- Your supply chain.
You'll need to have a fresh stock to produce your goods, and being small will make it hard to negotiate better prices with them.
If you take a franchise, this will be deal for you. They usually use the same supply chain at a given location.
Make sure you can rely on your suppliers. Sometimes times are tough, and you need to negotiate with them some time to gather the resources to pay them, so always try to keep a close relationship with your supplies, and they will help you in time of need.

2- Your staff.
Here lies the part I consider the core of the business.
People usually say that to a business to succeed, you need to surround yourself with competent people.
While this helps, I say that it's more important to surround yourself with people that may not have perfect skills, but are good to have around and work with. Your team will be far more productive if you have people like this instead of super competent jerks around.
In a small business, the team must feel like a good family.
Now, even good people messes up sometimes, and this is why you'll NEED a private room at your business.
Never, ever call them about their mistakes in front of the rest of the team, or even worse, in front of clients. That's humiliating and does no good for team moral. If needed, just tell the employee that did the mistake you two need to talk at the end of the shift or when there's not much work to do at your room and keep doing business.
And when talking to your employee, be firm but not harsh. Don't call him incompetent or anything like that. It's really hard to not do it sometimes, I know, but doing so affects his moral, and thus will hit the team moral, which is no good.
If he screws up too badly, or too many times, simple give him his 2 week notice, or allow him to leave right there, let him go when time comes and find someone to replace him.
After firing someone, gather the team and explain why it happened and why it was the best move. Once again, team moral.
Keeping your team moral high will ensure better service for your clients and thus more profit.

That being said, owning a business can be staggering but is much fun and usually worth it, if you're working with something you love and have people you trust and enjoy around you.

I'll post more advice with time.
Good luck. :smallsmile:

Beatrice.

Serpentine
2008-07-27, 09:14 AM
BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD idea... Alienating a lot of people is bad for business... A nerd themed place would alienate people in a way say, an alaskan place, wouldnt. You dont need to be from alaska to be go to such a place, but you would need to be a nerd to like such a place, and honestly, isnt it the drunk frat guys and teenagers who eat the most pizza?First of all, isn't pizza the staple D&D dinner? Secondly, Geek Chic doesn't have to be nerdcore. A lot of it could be general retro and nostalgic stuff - old arcade games and other games or gaming paraphanlia, sure, but also posters of things like Indiana Jones or Transformers (for example), Dr Who stuff, general sci-fi stuff, Tolkein, other fantasy, retro technology - phones, decor etc. - music, an old-style jukebox and so on. "Geek" covers a lot of stuff, and I suspect that most people have some deep, dark, geeky nostalgic soft spot somewhere in their hipster hearts. But it was meant half-jokingly, anyway, and it'd probably cost a lot to set up anything really good. Though it would be awesome :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2008-07-27, 09:20 AM
Market to college students by having relatively cheap prices and delivering to the dorm. The arcade games in the restaurant are a really good idea to get students to actually go to the restaurant, but you can make money with a delivery charge.
Also, open it in Fredericksburg, because we have no good restaurants here.

Serpentine
2008-07-27, 09:23 AM
Student discounts are always nice...

Rawhide
2008-07-27, 09:25 AM
Student discounts are always nice...

Playground discounts?

13_CBS
2008-07-27, 09:26 AM
First of all, isn't pizza the staple D&D dinner? Secondly, Geek Chic doesn't have to be nerdcore. A lot of it could be general retro and nostalgic stuff - old arcade games and other games or gaming paraphanlia, sure, but also posters of things like Indiana Jones or Transformers (for example), Dr Who stuff, general sci-fi stuff, Tolkein, other fantasy, retro technology - phones, decor etc. - music, an old-style jukebox and so on. "Geek" covers a lot of stuff, and I suspect that most people have some deep, dark, geeky nostalgic soft spot somewhere in their hipster hearts. But it was meant half-jokingly, anyway, and it'd probably cost a lot to set up anything really good. Though it would be awesome :smallbiggrin:

He could pose the restaurant as "family friendly", with a healthy dosage of stuff that "nerds" enjoy. Most people will see it as, "Midnight Son's Family Friendly Pizzeria" while those in the know will see it as, "Midnight Son's Holy Crap He's Got A Freaking Huge LOTR Poster And Pizza".

Edit:

Playground discounts?

"I'm Burlew."

"No, I'M Burlew."

"No! I'm Burlew!"

"I'm Burlew!"

"I'M BURLEW!"

*A single tear rolls down Midnight Son's cheek....*

The Valiant Turtle
2008-07-27, 09:37 AM
It doesn't have to be a choice between doing it on your own and going with a giant chain. Many locations have smaller chain restaurants that you might be able to franchise. My favorite pizza place has 3 locations, which is about as small as you could be and still be considered a chain. I've also had Greg's Volcano Pizza which last I saw has maybe 8 or so restaurants scattered between Tennessee and I believe somewhere up in Northern Indiana (I have no idea how that happened). I think if I was opening up a pizza place I would definitely try to get on with something like those.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-07-27, 09:46 AM
Kjata probably has a point. Arcade games would still be useful for various reasons, though (if you can afford them).

At the college I work at, we have a deal with the local arcade vender. They supply a pinball game and the college splits the profits with them. This would probably work for Midnight Son, as well.

I'd like to take the opportunity to mention that Johnson City, Tennessee has a lot of gamers, 2 colleges, and at least 8 people that I know would show up on opening night. Sadly, it also has a plethora of pizza places already.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-07-27, 09:59 AM
The only advice I can seem to offer up is what you already know or what someone's already told you.
Find a place that doesn't already have a ton of pizza places (Tulsa, Oklahoma, by the way, is lacking in good pizza...) and preferably also a college town.

Many hugs and wishes of good luck to you, MS.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-27, 10:09 AM
Playground discounts?

Me likes this idea. Though proving that you are can be harder though...

Jack Squat
2008-07-27, 10:51 AM
I kinda skimmed through all these posts, so sorry if I missed this, but I don't recall anyone mentioning this.

First, make sure you can make good pizza. It seems simple, but a lot of non-chain restaurants around here go out of business because they don't make good food. I would think the best thing to do is invite a few neighbors over, tell them your idea, and make up some pizza for them to criticize. For this, I'd recommend getting a pizza stone for this if you don't already have one, as building a full blown pizza oven is a little expensive.

If your neighbors like it, invite some more people over and have them try it. Do this at least two more times, so you have a good opinion. Preferably, all this would be near where you're building the restaurant, so you start to build a customer base.

Next would be building selection. I would look around and try to find a good area, either near a college or closer to residential areas. Basically, wherever there's already pizza places somewhere nearby. Once you've done this, try to find a place that's not too close to where the competition is, but not too far as to put yourself away from your potential customers. I'd also suggest keeping to main roads, so people can see you. To make things harder, try to find a building that was a restaurant beforehand...that way there's less cost in turning it into your restaurant. Bonus points if you find an old pizza place with a good oven and everything.

Next is the all important business plan. I haven't a clue how to write these, but I do know you need a good one to get a loan. I would check out this (http://www.smallbusinessconsulting.com/), as these people should know a lot about basically everything you'll be doing.

Once you get the loan, you get to buy (or rent) the building, and get it set up how you want it. This includes getting all the good stuff that people are suggesting, as well as your uniforms, probably just printed t-shirts/polo shirts, and all your foodage. It may also be a good idea to spend some money on advertising a couple months before you open.

Now you get to hire people, just a few, as you won't be able to take orders, make the pizza, and serve it to everybody while keeping up with all the managing duties.

Once this is done, you can open your doors to a hopefully waiting crowd.

I'm no expert on this stuff, most of what I put was a mixture of common sense, watching my parents business start (and fail), and a class or two of entrepreneurship.

Midnight Son
2008-07-27, 11:51 AM
It doesn't have to be a choice between doing it on your own and going with a giant chain. Many locations have smaller chain restaurants that you might be able to franchise. My favorite pizza place has 3 locations, which is about as small as you could be and still be considered a chain. I've also had Greg's Volcano Pizza which last I saw has maybe 8 or so restaurants scattered between Tennessee and I believe somewhere up in Northern Indiana (I have no idea how that happened). I think if I was opening up a pizza place I would definitely try to get on with something like those.Some very good advice from many of you, and I'm taking it all in. Hoping to get the business thing all started some time next year. As for the above, the chain I am considering (http://pier49.com/) is by no means another Pizza Hut. It has the added bonus of being a pizza that I already know is well liked by many in this area.

I also like the idea of setting up my own theme. Serpentine's idea has merit, but the licensing of all the various geek products might be a bit prohibitive. On the plus side, I could set up a basement "dungeon" for real gamers, with game tables and all sorts of fun stuff. And its something I would enjoy, since I am a gamer myself.

As for GitP being relatively unknown by the masses(or any motif for that matter), in business, it doesn't necessarily have to be a known thing, but something different that catches the eye. The Haley would be a spicy pizza that sneak attacks the taste buds. V, being verbose, would be the combination pizza, with the most toppings. Stuff like that, though I honestly doubt I'd ever get The Giant's blessing to do something like that.

In a similar vein, the Alaska idea has a lot of merit. It is a place of mystery and wonder that fascinates most of America. The plus side to that is that there would not need to be any licensing of names. No one owns Mt. Denali. Plus, Alaskan King Crab pizza, anyone?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-27, 12:04 PM
I would love a Belkar Pizza.

It rips your taste buds to shreds, and then wears your tongue as a hat.

crimson77
2008-07-27, 01:17 PM
...I will need to have a way to live while getting the business started, which means taking another job that will take up my time...I have wanted to own a restaurant. As of now, the type that most interests me would be a pizza place. Also, since my trip last March to Sea World, I have been interested in working with animals...

You do not have to take giant leaps in order to determine if this career change is right for you. Thus, you could keep your job for now and try some alternatives on the weekend.

The best way to learn if you would like to own your own pizza place or work with animals would be to get some experience. Maybe try picking up a few shifts at a local pizza shoppe on weekends. Or volunteer at your local animal shelter for a weekend. Maybe try to get an inside view of how things work. There is a large difference between reading about something and experiencing it.

Just remember that by working at a large corporation means that you must have had some skills/education to get that job. Therefore, you will be better than most applicants for picking up a few shifts at the local pizza shoppe.

Just my two cp.

smellie_hippie
2008-07-27, 03:23 PM
It is fully my intention to NOT work in "Community Mental Health" for the rest of my life. I'll stay here for the steady paycheck, free supervision for licensure, and some continued networking... but private practice is the goal.

I also love the idea of opening a Coffee Shop. So here's my basic gameplan:

1. Rough combination of a Coffee House/Private Practice Therapy Office/Massage Therapy Office.
2. Separate entrance fro the therapy services (for the purposes of client confidentiality). These would likely be "upstairs".
3. Local services somewhat catered to college students, artists and musicians... but not exclusively.
4. After hours "stuff".

Allow me to explain. This shop would need to be located somewhat close to a college campus, but not close enough to scare away "citizens" as opposed to "students" (no offense, but we all know what that means...) I see a limited "lunch hour" with a simple fare of smmiches, soups, salads, vegetarian dishes and a locally catered bakery selection of cakes, pies, cookies and muffins.
The decor would actually be a monthly rotation of a local featured artist for paintings, sculptures, textiles, sketches, with a smattering of personal nostalgia that I find appealing. Items might also be listed with a sales price, should anyone be interested.
At least two large bookshelves with boardgames, card games and gently used paperbacks. Books would be available for take-away if you bring one int to take it's place.
Weekends would have a small stage for acoustic music, maybe open mic.
After hours would shift to an 18+ crowd to allow for serving beer ana limited selection of coffee-based mixed drinks.

All this combines with a private practice and massage therapist located upstairs, so I have the option of working the coffee house or seeing private practice clients. (Massage parlor is mostly because I lurves backrubs :smallamused:).

SE Troglanders will claim that this is just The Acoustic Coffee House... but I had the idea before they put that damn thing in there... :smallannoyed:

Trog
2008-07-27, 04:00 PM
I heartily approve of this thread. I only wish I had the courage to do something like this myself.

In the interest of helping out my fellow playgrounders fulfill their dream I offer my design services (12 years experience designing newspaper advertising) for logo design and or advertising design, to Midnight Son and to Hippie, free of charge. PM me your thoughts and we can work together to begin to give your business that graphic edge to brand yourself and to catch the attention of potential customers in your area.

Some day I plan to live as well and that means getting out of my current job. Unfortunately I am stuck in an area that offers very very limited alternatives to the job I am in now. My sons are here and here with them I will stay. I'd love to be able to risk it all and start up something but I have to be a father first, which means a provider. So for the time being I remain where I am, existing.

Someday I hope to join the ranks of the living.

potatocubed
2008-07-27, 04:34 PM
Just a thought from my college days:

If you're serving food, stay open 24/7, or at least really late. Students love to go somewhere that isn't the dorm in the small hours of the morning, for a pot of coffee and a slice of pie.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-27, 04:39 PM
Yes, make sure you have coffee and pie... That´s a sure win.

smellie_hippie
2008-07-27, 05:00 PM
I figured that I would keep some 'wee in the morning hours'... but not 24/7. :smallsigh: What would likely have to happen is having some things 'shut down' at around midnight, but keep things rolling till around 3AM. Hours subject to change during finals week and such, specifically for the college crowd.

And yes, pie is a must. :smallwink:

LightWraith
2008-07-27, 05:55 PM
I don't really have any additional advice, but I just wanted to say that I'm in the same boat.

I've been working up a plan to well.. let me just copy and paste it from my business plan.

------
Memphis Multisports is a planned triathlon specialty store, offering retail sales of a variety of equipment intended for use by both beginner and well established triathletes. This equipment includes bicycles, bicycle shoes, running shoes, wetsuits, swimsuits, triathlon specific athletic clothing, and a variety of sport nutrition products. Services such as bicycle maintenance and upgrade, specialized bicycle fitting and running gait analysis will also be provided. In addition, triathlon coaching will be available for those who are beginning in the sport or desire assistance to improve their performance.

-----

My idea is a bit different than Midnight Sun's or Hippie's, so I can't really be much help. My main issue will be money. A business of this type is going to cost me quite a bit to start up, as I'll have to stock a variety of bikes and other equipment as soon as I open.

I just wanted to throw that out there and say that I wish you both the best of luck.

Maybe I should also sell pie...

Edit: Oh, and here (http://www.bplans.com/Sample_Business_Plans/Retail_and_Online_Store_Business_Plans/) is a site that I found with some sample business plans, it helped me out.

YPU
2008-07-27, 06:22 PM
If you are planning on doing a delivery, remember this; if your crowd is at least partially made up of students, check which studying facilities are public terrain, or at least publicly accessible. Make sure you know this for a fact course you might get some trouble otherwise. Now make a list of those places and display it somewhere in your shop, and perhaps on the window for the first few months. A lot, and I am talking really a lot of people consider ordering pizza during breaks but dismiss it on the nha, they wont come here anyway argument. make a difference.

Pyrian
2008-07-27, 07:39 PM
Edit: Pyrian, the problem is that I'm working during the hours one would be getting a job. On top of that, as I said, I feel the life being sucked out of me every time I even enter the building. I'm not kidding when I say that I need change. I'm also considering taking a month off of any work and riding my bike across the country.
Life-sucking is a good reason to quit on its own. I guess I just know too many people having very difficult times getting jobs right now.

Ishmael
2008-07-27, 07:40 PM
I don't really have any additional advice, but I just wanted to say that I'm in the same boat.

I've been working up a plan to well.. let me just copy and paste it from my business plan.

------
Memphis Multisports is a planned triathlon specialty store, offering retail sales of a variety of equipment intended for use by both beginner and well established triathletes. This equipment includes bicycles, bicycle shoes, running shoes, wetsuits, swimsuits, triathlon specific athletic clothing, and a variety of sport nutrition products. Services such as bicycle maintenance and upgrade, specialized bicycle fitting and running gait analysis will also be provided. In addition, triathlon coaching will be available for those who are beginning in the sport or desire assistance to improve their performance.

-----

My idea is a bit different than Midnight Sun's or Hippie's, so I can't really be much help. My main issue will be money. A business of this type is going to cost me quite a bit to start up, as I'll have to stock a variety of bikes and other equipment as soon as I open.

I just wanted to throw that out there and say that I wish you both the best of luck.

Edit: Oh, and here (http://www.bplans.com/Sample_Business_Plans/Retail_and_Online_Store_Business_Plans/) is a site that I found with some sample business plans, it helped me out.

You might want to check out franchising options or the like--or procure a massive credit score--because I'd imagine the capital required to start such a shop would be massive. The standard Cervélo bike costs thousands of dollars, and I'd think that the price from the manufacturer is still rather high. Stocking a store full of bikes alone is quite a high order. All the triathlon stuff would be pretty gnarly.

LightWraith
2008-07-28, 09:11 AM
You might want to check out franchising options or the like--or procure a massive credit score--because I'd imagine the capital required to start such a shop would be massive. The standard Cervélo bike costs thousands of dollars, and I'd think that the price from the manufacturer is still rather high. Stocking a store full of bikes alone is quite a high order. All the triathlon stuff would be pretty gnarly.

Yeah, it will be a bit ridiculous, but I have a couple of possibilities when it comes to extra capital, so I should be alright. As it is, capital is the one thing stopping me from trying to open it this year. I want to have my business plan nice and solid before I start looking for money.

It is going to be a lot of hard work, but I don't think I'll ever be happy working for someone else, so it will be worth it.

Midnight Son
2008-07-28, 09:58 AM
Well, I just told my boss that I quit. This should be interesting...

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-28, 10:01 AM
What did you have in mind for before you'll be able to start your own buisness? Whatever it is, I hope it goes well for you.

Midnight Son
2008-07-28, 10:05 AM
I'm thinking I'll take a huge pay cut and actually get some experience in the pizza manufacturing industry. Probably with Pier 49, since that is the likely route I'll go to begin with when I start my business.

13_CBS
2008-07-28, 10:06 AM

I hope you saved up a nice nest egg in case things go wrong :smalleek:

Then again, knowing someone like you, you're probably well prepared for any rough times ahead. :smallbiggrin:

LightWraith
2008-07-28, 10:07 AM
Good luck and congratulations Midnight!

You've already done the hard part... now all you have to do is start the business :smallwink:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-07-28, 10:25 AM
Midnight Son, I must applaud your desires and apparent efforts in wanting to cease a mere existence and start living life on YOUR terms.

I have a piece of advice, however, that I'm not sure you're going to like, because it'll involve spending money, and perhaps giving up your soul to the most vile of creatures to ever crawl out of the bowels of Hades. You must get...A LAWYER!

The most unfortunate aspect of buying your way into a franchise is signing a contract that you never fully understood. Those contracts are chock full of "lawyer-speak," and you could easily overlook a small, but very important fact that could be your undoing. Once you have a lawyer on your payroll, that legal eagle is supposed to look out for your interests. You might want to start with family members, asking if they know a lawyer that they trust. If you've been involved in any kind of legal action, and have already worked with a lawyer, ask if they know one that practices corporate law.

Trust me. This may not be something you've considered, but it's important. I know this from experience.

SMEE
2008-07-28, 10:52 AM
Good luck with your endeavor Midnight Son. :smallsmile:

It takes some courage to do it, but it'll be well worth in the end.

potatocubed
2008-07-28, 10:59 AM

Fitness Pie! Carefully balanced to give triathletes all the energy they need.

On a more serious note, I know a good corporate lawyer in New York if you happen to be near there. I also know a good family lawyer in Birmingham and a good immigration lawyer in Arizona, should it become necessary. :smalltongue:

Felixaar
2008-07-28, 01:38 PM
Good work, MS, I'm glad to see this change is coming along nicely. You've made a decision - and better yet, acted on it - that is very difficult for most people to even come to terms with.

Now, the way I see it, if you're opening a pizza restaurant, which sounds like the decided upon goal here, you need two things.

1. Make really, really, REALLY good pizza.
2. Find a way to make sure people know this.

So. What are your pizza-ing skills like already? Can you make dough, toppings, pastes, sauces? Various crusts? Because what you really need is stuff thats different, thats absolutely excellent, you know? Spices, Herbs, and pizza's no one has ever heard of. I like the alaskan idea, you could make up (fake) alaskan names for everything - everyone will want to try your Polar Bear Guts Pizza.

As for the second, the best way to get advertising is to do something truly outrageous. Cant really think of anything right off, but I'm sure you could do something good. Maybe some very evocative, noticeable posters? As for money, have you looked at getting a buisness loan? Are you going to do deliverys, do you have cars to support that?

Probably also a good - and tasty - idea, is to go to lots of pizza stores and see whats good about them, what works, is their pizza good why is their pizza good, that kind of junk.

At any rate this sounds like its going to be pretty cool man - heck, if I was from the same country as you I'd probably want in (You could always move to Aus and set up a pizza joint there. Thats actually not a half bad idea, American pizza is such a different afare to Australian.). Best of luck.

Edit: Oh, new idea. Though this one is almost certainly out of monetary reach... maybe you could get like a projector or something and host movie nights? I mean come on, Pizza and 70's Horror go together like superglue and my fingers.

Chronicled
2008-07-28, 03:27 PM

Congrats. Hope the career shift works out well!

Supagoof
2008-07-28, 03:43 PM
Midnigt Son - Let me just say kudos to your courage in this venture. Life is what you make of it, and you have chosen to make something of it. I applaud you.

Also - when you do finally open your own chain, don't throw away the idea of gaming in a restaurant. I've seen a place explode here in the Twin Cities, and their simple hook to get people in the door is free games. Board games & video games (They have atari & nes & sega games available to play) & arcade games, and the place always has people in it. They expanded from 1 place to 3 in the last 5 years. Sure, there's an extra investment in buying the old games/television/consoles/couches (yep, comfy old goodwill couches = awesome place to hang with your buds), but it keeps us going back. And it's a win for the parents when they can bring their kids in and play chutes and ladders while waiting for the food to arrive, so the hook works.

If you do make a trip on your bike, and find yourself up near the Twin Cities, be sure to check out the Chatterbox to see what I'm talking about. It can be done well, and with some intitial investment into the items, the cost of allowing someone in to play checkers while they wait for pizza > the cost of losing them to pizza hut down the street.

I hope it works well for you.

Volug
2008-07-28, 03:53 PM
I like this thread.

For obvious reasons.:smallwink:

I have no advice, I may be changing my life in a.... Different sort and kind of way... But still, this takes guts and courage, and I wish you the best.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-07-28, 03:59 PM
just my two cents here, if you want to start a business but don't have much experience, I suggest going back to school and get an MBA, or something similar.

potatocubed
2008-07-28, 04:10 PM
just my two cents here, if you want to start a business but don't have much experience, I suggest going back to school and get an MBA, or something similar.

Or work with someone else who has the business nous, which is what I'm doing. :smallsmile:

Zeb The Troll
2008-07-29, 01:54 AM
Me likes this idea. Though proving that you are can be harder though...That would be fairly easy though. If you don't advertise a GitP discount except here, then they'd have to be a Playgrounder to know to ask for it. Simple! :smallcool:

You must get...A LAWYER!

The most unfortunate aspect of buying your way into a franchise is signing a contract that you never fully understood. Those contracts are chock full of "lawyer-speak," and you could easily overlook a small, but very important fact that could be your undoing. Once you have a lawyer on your payroll, that legal eagle is supposed to look out for your interests. You might want to start with family members, asking if they know a lawyer that they trust. If you've been involved in any kind of legal action, and have already worked with a lawyer, ask if they know one that practices corporate law.

Trust me. This may not be something you've considered, but it's important. I know this from experience.Hearling a little bit about what Alarra's parents are going through, I have to agree. Give us a call sometime and she'll fill you in. One of the reasons they're going through two lawsuits right now is because they didn't have a lawyer when they should have. Coincidentally, if you don't remember, they own a pizza place akin to a Chuck E Cheese's.

Now, all the scary stuff aside, Hooray! I'm saddened that it took a lifesucking job to bring this about, but I'm with everyone else in applauding your resolve and courage in getting out and doing this. Having spent a little bit of time with you, I'm absolutely confident that you can make this work for you and I eagerly await stories of your success. Just don't leave us here. :smalltongue: We'd miss you.

While I'm here, if you're looking for suggestions on other cities to locate your startup, I'd have to throw the Balto/DC area in for consideration as well. And not just because I want your GitP discount, either. :smallwink:

I don't know how or what I'd be able to do, but if there's anything I can do that would help you out, let me know.