PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Met

ArtDandelay
2008-07-27, 09:34 AM
Anyone else notice baseball headed golem in 578? It's the little things like that that make this comic great

T-O-E
2008-07-27, 11:37 AM
Several people, check the comic discussion thread.
And yes, it's the little things that create perfection.

factotum
2008-07-27, 03:19 PM
Of course, those of us outside the continental US had to look it up to see what the heck this "Mr. Met" was that everyone kept harping on about... :smallwink:

An Enemy Spy
2008-07-27, 03:54 PM
You know I live in America and I have never heard of Mr. Met

Chronos
2008-07-27, 06:18 PM
I'm American, too, and wouldn't have recognized Mr. Met specifically, but I would have realized that it was the sort of thing you might see as professional sports mascot.

I use the subjunctive, because I didn't even notice he was there at all until I saw him called out by name in the Number of Character Appearances thread.

T-O-E
2008-07-27, 06:23 PM
You know I live in America and I have never heard of Mr. Met

The opposite for me. I live outside the US, saw the ball-shaped head and assumed it to be a base-ball mascot.

Jevanyn
2008-07-28, 09:39 AM
I didn't notice the baseball-like stitching until the second time through the comic. Awesome! I was hooked on OOTS from Up-a-Level, Down-a-Level back in #12 or so, which was a take (homage?) on "Who's on First".

And you know, I've followed the Mets for years, and it never occured to me that Mr. Met was a construct. I guess that makes the Philly Phanatic an abomination?

Linkavitch
2008-07-30, 09:29 AM
I saw the baseball head, and I just thought it was funny, not that it was supposed to actually be someone... And I do live in America!

Emperor Ing
2008-07-30, 09:32 AM
Mr Met, I recognized him immediately. I lawl'd. :smallbiggrin:

And the giant is a new yorker. It's likely he'd pay a homage to what may or may not be his favorite team.