PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Light/Melee Weapons

leofish89
2008-07-27, 12:06 PM
so if I've read correctly, the normal conditions are that if you want to throw a weapon, with which you are proficient, you take a -4 on attack roll, and the max range is 10 feet.

I've seen the feat "Throw Anything" in complete warrior which lets you ignore the -4 on attack, is there any way to increase the range? My friend was talking about balanced weapons but I've never heard of anything like that before, does anyone know of anything that would allow a character to throw a light/melee weapon at a greater range that 10 ft?

AmberVael
2008-07-27, 12:14 PM
The Far Shot feat?
Doubles the range of thrown weapons...
And it's in the SRD and PHB.

Adumbration
2008-07-27, 12:19 PM
Are you sure it's the max range, not the range increment? If it's range increment, you just get penalties for each increment of 10 feet you throw.

Spiryt
2008-07-27, 12:30 PM
Are you sure it's the max range, not the range increment? If it's range increment, you just get penalties for each increment of 10 feet you throw.

Exactly - to a maximum 50 feet and -12 to hit... (- 4 from inapropriate weapon - 8 from range)

AmberVael
2008-07-27, 12:32 PM
It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a -4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.

So sayeth the SRD.

Siosilvar
2008-07-27, 12:49 PM
Far Shot [General]
Prerequisite

Point Blank Shot.
Benefit

When you use a projectile weapon, such as a bow, its range increment increases by one-half (multiply by 1½). When you use a thrown weapon, its range increment is doubled.
Special

A fighter may select Far Shot as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Deth Muncher
2008-07-27, 01:11 PM
Dude. The spell "Whirling Blade." You throw your melee weapon in a 30ft line, using your primary spellcasting stat instead of strength, but use your highest BAB to make a single attack against everyone in that line.

Although, unless you're playing a GISH, that's probbably not going to work for you.

RTGoodman
2008-07-27, 01:44 PM
There's also, you know, the throwing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#throwing) weapon special ability, or the entire Bloodstorm Blade prestige class from Tome of Battle.

Signmaker
2008-07-27, 08:16 PM
Does anyone else suddenly remember the Bastard Sword-chucking thread from a while back?