PDA

View Full Version : Gary Gygax Day!

alchemyprime
2008-07-27, 12:38 PM
Today is July 27th, the day Gary Gygax was brought into this world. So I decided to celebrate every July 27th instead in March, because I want to remember everything he brought us by remembering when he was brought to us, instead of when he was taken back.

So, how will you celebrate Gary Gygax Day? This year or in future years is fine.

I think one should run four small campaigns, on in each edition. I can't today, so today I'm just going to go play some 4e and remember 1st while I do so.

BizzaroStormy
2008-07-27, 12:45 PM
Well, its kinda short notice but I would've liked to play the started game that got out group into D&D. I'll actually be donating the d20 from said starter game at GenCon this year.

Siosilvar
2008-07-27, 12:56 PM
4 small campaigns? I'll play 1st and 3rd, because those are what I have.

Yeah, I've been wanting to play 1st edition for a long time now.

KingGolem
2008-07-27, 01:11 PM
I was planning to start a new campaign with a few of my friends today to honor Gygax, but do to their schedules I had to move it to tomorrow. So before I go to bed tonight, I shall bow my head and honor him with 1d20 moments of silence. :smallsmile:

EndlessWrath
2008-07-27, 02:15 PM
Gary Gygax was indirectly responsible for Thousands of great things due to his creation of Dungeons and Dragons... think about it.

-Thousands of Novels have come into existence due to people getting their ideas out onto a campaign.
-Friends meet each other through campaigns and new games. I've even heard that 2 lovers met and are now married with 3 children just cause they met when they were kids in a 1st edition campaign.
-MMORPGs and RPGs in general wouldn't be what they are today without Gary Gygax's leap into this area of gaming. Even World of Warcraft is a game caused by Dungeons and Dragons.

If you don't have time for 4 campaigns today. There's no reason you don't still have time to run a dungeon crawl. Thats what I did March 4th. If you don't have time for the game, just pause a moment in your day to think of how much Gary Gygax has effected you, how his life/works impacted your life and the world around you...Its kinda scary when you think about it...

Thank you Gary Gygax! Sir, I salute you.

Glawackus
2008-07-27, 03:54 PM
Three words: Tomb of Horrors. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2008-07-27, 03:57 PM
Three words: Tomb of Horrors.

Four words: Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

On topic, I wish I had the time to honor E.G.G. with a game, but I don't. :smallfrown: 3d6 minutes of rolling 3d6 will have to suffice for his memory.

-argus

kpenguin
2008-07-27, 03:57 PM
Three words: Tomb of Horrors. :smalltongue:

You sick bastard.:smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-07-27, 05:07 PM
Four games seems just a bit much, but...

Three words: Tomb of Horrors. :smalltongue:That's how Gary would have wanted it, I'm sure.

Tengu_temp
2008-07-27, 05:12 PM
So, how will you celebrate Gary Gygax Day?

I didn't take a shower today.

ken-do-nim
2008-07-27, 11:06 PM
I ran the first session of Gary's favorite tournament module "The Abduction of Good King Despot". The game went pretty well.

Helgraf
2008-07-28, 12:16 AM
Four words: Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth.

On topic, I wish I had the time to honor E.G.G. with a game, but I don't. :smallfrown: 3d6 minutes of rolling 3d6 will have to suffice for his memory.

-argus

Heh. Fun stuff that.

Of course, if you want to throw your players a different kind of curve, there's always Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

Duke of URL
2008-07-28, 10:26 AM
I will... (1d100)[37]... umm... *consults chart*... be composing an ode to my favorite d20.

(Seriously, what kind of result was that???)

shadow_archmagi
2008-07-28, 11:02 AM
Oh d20, you have many sides.
Oh d20, you are such a lovely color blue.
Oh d20, you make my games go round.
Oh d20, why'd you go under the couch?
Oh d20, will you ever be found?

KingGolem
2008-07-28, 08:05 PM
Well the gaming session I was going to hold...kinda didn't happen. I invited four guys (one called ahead and canceled, so I was expecting three) over to come create their characters, and ONE showed up. :smallannoyed: That wouldn't be nearly as annoying if the other two had called ahead. I tried calling them to see where they were, and one friend didn't answer his phone, and the other friend wasn't at home and his dad said he'd be back and would call me in an hour. Six hours later, still no call. I've decided I need more friends.

Number 6
2008-07-28, 09:08 PM
Instead of a Gary Gygax day, we should have a Dave Arneson day because it's well documented that Arneson invented D&D (although GG helped) and GG stole credit from him.

Deth Muncher
2008-07-28, 09:56 PM
Instead of a Gary Gygax day, we should have a Dave Arneson day because it's well documented that Arneson invented D&D (although GG helped) and GG stole credit from him.

Ugh, this again? This is like arguing that instead of celebrating...say, Nikolai Tesla's birthday, since he was the one who really invented the radio (or so Morgan Freeman says :smallsmile:).
(Note: I'm not denying that Arneson came up with the ideas. I'm saying that Gygax is the one people generally think of when they think of "Who invented Dnd?")

Cmon, really? Just let him be! Bring this back up once we've finished mourning Gygax in 1d20 years.

Conners
2008-07-29, 01:01 AM
I looked up Dave Arneson and he's still alive and kicking. Were it that he had died a while ago, I would agree with Number 6--since he is alive, however, I don't see too much of a reason to commemorate his achievement in memory of him, when we could just ring him on the phone and say, "Thanks for making DnD! I'm a great fan. Bye!"

I'd guess it to be fine if you want to celebrate Gary's birth which lead to the publication of DnD, but I'd find it to make more sense to celebrate the publication of DnD itself. I'm still a bit sore at Gary Gygax for, supposedly, stealing the credit and money from Dave Arneson--but I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to really say he's a saint/devil.

nagora
2008-07-29, 06:14 AM
D&D and what Arneson invented are not quite the same thing. If Arneson's game had been published as-is, I think RuneQuest would hold the position today that D&D does and Arneson's game would be a curio of history.

Arneson's game was just slightly too crude to hold its own against the second crop of games, I think. Gygax made it into something that worked better for non-wargamers and people who wanted to develop their characters.

They had and deserved co-authourship credit on the original, and Arneson was badly treated after then, but the fact is that EGG's contribution went well beyond the financial and publishing areas.

No game is designed in a vacuum and D&D was no different, and neither was Arneson's game or any of the games that he was inspired by in turn.

Walken
2008-07-29, 09:36 AM

Dave Arneson essentially created the prototype of D&D. EGG was the one who brought D&D and the d20 system to fruition and that's what we should be honoring. The great things that EGG did for the tabletop gaming community, being active until his untimely death, and the inspiration he has brought us all.

Number 6
2008-07-30, 08:02 PM
Don't you think that the guy who invented something should get the credit, whether he's alive or dead? If not, then, hey, everyone, I just wrote a book called "To Kill a Mockingbird." Aren't I a genius? Copies are on sale, only $15.

I looked up Dave Arneson and he's still alive and kicking. Were it that he had died a while ago, I would agree with Number 6--since he is alive, however, I don't see too much of a reason to commemorate his achievement in memory of him, when we could just ring him on the phone and say, "Thanks for making DnD! I'm a great fan. Bye!"

I'd guess it to be fine if you want to celebrate Gary's birth which lead to the publication of DnD, but I'd find it to make more sense to celebrate the publication of DnD itself. I'm still a bit sore at Gary Gygax for, supposedly, stealing the credit and money from Dave Arneson--but I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to really say he's a saint/devil.

Number 6
2008-07-30, 08:06 PM
Do you have a copy of the original "The Fantasy Game" (Arneson's original title) so you can compare it to Basic D&D and see what GG added? If so, I would like to read it, if only to see if you are right and GG deserves the credit. If not, how can you make this claim?

D&D and what Arneson invented are not quite the same thing. If Arneson's game had been published as-is, I think RuneQuest would hold the position today that D&D does and Arneson's game would be a curio of history.

Arneson's game was just slightly too crude to hold its own against the second crop of games, I think. Gygax made it into something that worked better for non-wargamers and people who wanted to develop their characters.

They had and deserved co-authourship credit on the original, and Arneson was badly treated after then, but the fact is that EGG's contribution went well beyond the financial and publishing areas.

No game is designed in a vacuum and D&D was no different, and neither was Arneson's game or any of the games that he was inspired by in turn.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-07-30, 09:08 PM
I'd like to note that in the 4e book, it does credit Arneson. Right there next to GG.

turkishproverb
2008-07-30, 11:07 PM
Today is July 27th, the day Gary Gygax was brought into this world. So I decided to celebrate every July 27th instead in March, because I want to remember everything he brought us by remembering when he was brought to us, instead of when he was taken back.

So, how will you celebrate Gary Gygax Day? This year or in future years is fine.

I think one should run four small campaigns, on in each edition. I can't today, so today I'm just going to go play some 4e and remember 1st while I do so.

I gathered a few people and ran the Temple of Elemental Evil.

EndlessWrath
2008-07-31, 12:41 AM
Don't you think that the guy who invented something should get the credit, whether he's alive or dead? If not, then, hey, everyone, I just wrote a book called "To Kill a Mockingbird." Aren't I a genius? Copies are on sale, only $15.

You're extremely annoying. -_-

This isn't a "Gary Gygax Stole d&d from Arneson!!" thread... This is not a thread of "who created d&d really?

This is a thread to celebrate Gary Gygax

Don't like it? Deal with it. Stop throwing a fit on the board. Your words fall on deaf ears.

As its been 20+ years since D&D first came out...I'm not seeing a reason why you're throwing the fit in the first place... Gary Gygax wasn't the creator of D&D... he was a co-creator...

I apologize if I seem mean... I do that when I speak frankly.

----
As for me.. I ran 2 PBP games for about an hour or 2 each. And i Created Traveler's Tales...my new campaign idea.

Number 6
2008-07-31, 11:57 PM
Yeah, but Arneson had to sue GG to get that much recognition. He didn't get any in AD&D first edition or second. But that's beside the point.

I'd like to note that in the 4e book, it does credit Arneson. Right there next to GG.

Number 6
2008-08-01, 12:01 AM
So, if someone opens a thread talking about how great Hitler was, you wouldn't post a comment saying, "What about all the Jews he killed?" GG isn't as bad as Hitler, of course, but it's the same thing.

Why do my words fall on deaf ears? Why don't you want to listen? I've got proof!

You're extremely annoying. -_-

This isn't a "Gary Gygax Stole d&d from Arneson!!" thread... This is not a thread of "who created d&d really?

This is a thread to celebrate Gary Gygax

Don't like it? Deal with it. Stop throwing a fit on the board. Your words fall on deaf ears.

As its been 20+ years since D&D first came out...I'm not seeing a reason why you're throwing the fit in the first place... Gary Gygax wasn't the creator of D&D... he was a co-creator...

I apologize if I seem mean... I do that when I speak frankly.

----
As for me.. I ran 2 PBP games for about an hour or 2 each. And i Created Traveler's Tales...my new campaign idea.

Helgraf
2008-08-01, 12:06 AM
So, if someone opens a thread talking about how great Hitler was, you wouldn't post a comment saying, "What about all the Jews he killed?" GG isn't as bad as Hitler, of course, but it's the same thing.

Why do my words fall on deaf ears? Why don't you want to listen? I've got proof!

Did he just Godwin himself?

Colmarr
2008-08-01, 12:53 AM
Did he just Godwin himself?

Is it even possible to Godwin yourself?

I thought you Godwin'd a thread. But yep, he certainly Godwin'd the thead. :smallsmile:

hamlet
2008-08-01, 07:20 AM

That's the single most ridiculous thing I've seen posted here, bar none.

Conners
2008-08-01, 07:57 AM
Is it even possible to Godwin yourself?

I thought you Godwin'd a thread. But yep, he certainly Godwin'd the thead. :smallsmile: What does "Godwin"-ing something mean...?

Besides that, Number 6 does mean well I believe. He does have a point that it was wrong of Gary to take so much credit away from Arneson, and the fact he didn't share an of the profits that came. Knowing that, coupled with the amount of people who, "tell of the good works of saint Gygax," and I guess you would feel like screaming :smalleek:.

Still, no need to worry too much about the sins of the dead, there are already too many living sinners to worry about :smalltongue:--however, glorifying the dead for the wrong things isn't good either (ever heard of Ned Kelly :smallannoyed:?).

Jokes
2008-08-01, 08:11 AM
What does "Godwin"-ing something mean...

Godwins Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law) states that as an internet discussion grows longer, the probability of a Hitler/Nazi comparison approaches 1. This usually means the poster has lost the argument and the thread is finished.

Seriously, first page? That should be some kind of record.

mcv
2008-08-01, 08:13 AM
Godwins Law states that as an internet discussion grows longer, the probability of a Hitler/Nazi comparison approaches 1.

Not at all. I'm sure there have been discussions where it happened in the first reply. Or even in the original post. This one was fast, I admit, but by no means a record.

mcv
2008-08-01, 08:15 AM
Trying to get this slightly back towards topic again:

I think one should run four small campaigns, on in each edition.

Which four editions are these? Because as I count them, there's five:

D&D
AD&D
AD&D2
D&D3
D&D4

hamlet
2008-08-01, 08:15 AM
Godwins Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law) states that as an internet discussion grows longer, the probability of a Hitler/Nazi comparison approaches 1. This usually means the poster has lost the argument and the thread is finished.

The corrolary to it is that "the first person to mention Hitler and/or the Nazi's of the German State during or about the 1930's through 1944 (i.e., compares their opponent to Hitler either directly or in an offhand manner) in a discussion not specifically concerning those persons, loses the discussion."

In short: "Mention Hitler, you lose."

EndlessWrath
2008-08-01, 08:17 AM

First of all. Double posting is ridiculous and is frowned upon by forum staff and many of the great people on this forum. (I can't speak for everyone..i mean, there has to be some that do it?)... There's an edit button.

Second of all. You've exaggerated this big time, and not for your benefit. Hitler killed jews. If somebody liked Hitler, it might be for that reason. However this is a horrible analogy... because Hitler didn't steal the credit for killing the jews... lemme repeat that. He did not steal the credit for killing the jews. Where as you profess GG stealing the credit of making D&D. Bad anoloygy ftl.

Also: Its not a matter of whether you have proof or not. I believe you have all the proof in the world, but I'd like to show you my opinion through this famous/favorite quote of mine. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
I really don't. If you want to convince me. then convince me...but do so in the appropriate way. This is a board celebrating Gary Gygax. A man who was (in part or fully) responsible for Dungeons and Dragons and by far one who is most recognizable. Don't come here to where we're celebrating him.

You wanna convince me? put up a board with your "proof". But you don't do it here.... I've already wasted enough time explaining board ettiquite to you. Stick to the topic at hand.... I won't go on your board (if you decide to make another, I'm sure you've made one about this already) and post what I did to celebrate Gary Gygax during GG day...which btw, is what this board is about.

Now I doubt you'll read this, but idc. I'm not flaming you or insulting you. I'm giving you a slap on the wrist and explaining why your "thought out plan" isn't working out so well. I think it would be wise if you didn't post on this thread again, but rather make your own. I'm not saying you can't post here, nor am i threatening you... I'm just saying...unless you want another wonderfully long post by me or you did the less likely option of celebrating GG day and you wanna tell us about it... you have no reason to post on this. Stick to the topic or don't post.

---------------
One more thing I did and didn't realize! I finally finished my Gundam Wing D20 homebrew. I just finished the system on GG day ^.^

turkishproverb
2008-08-05, 05:25 PM
First of all. Double posting is ridiculous and is frowned upon by forum staff and many of the great people on this forum. (I can't speak for everyone..i mean, there has to be some that do it?)... There's an edit button.

Second of all. You've exaggerated this big time, and not for your benefit. Hitler killed jews. If somebody liked Hitler, it might be for that reason. However this is a horrible analogy... because Hitler didn't steal the credit for killing the jews... lemme repeat that. He did not steal the credit for killing the jews. Where as you profess GG stealing the credit of making D&D. Bad anoloygy ftl.

Also: Its not a matter of whether you have proof or not. I believe you have all the proof in the world, but I'd like to show you my opinion through this famous/favorite quote of mine. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
I really don't. If you want to convince me. then convince me...but do so in the appropriate way. This is a board celebrating Gary Gygax. A man who was (in part or fully) responsible for Dungeons and Dragons and by far one who is most recognizable. Don't come here to where we're celebrating him.

You wanna convince me? put up a board with your "proof". But you don't do it here.... I've already wasted enough time explaining board ettiquite to you. Stick to the topic at hand.... I won't go on your board (if you decide to make another, I'm sure you've made one about this already) and post what I did to celebrate Gary Gygax during GG day...which btw, is what this board is about.

Now I doubt you'll read this, but idc. I'm not flaming you or insulting you. I'm giving you a slap on the wrist and explaining why your "thought out plan" isn't working out so well. I think it would be wise if you didn't post on this thread again, but rather make your own. I'm not saying you can't post here, nor am i threatening you... I'm just saying...unless you want another wonderfully long post by me or you did the less likely option of celebrating GG day and you wanna tell us about it... you have no reason to post on this. Stick to the topic or don't post.

---------------
One more thing I did and didn't realize! I finally finished my Gundam Wing D20 homebrew. I just finished the system on GG day ^.^

Seconded.

and... Gundam Wing D20 Homebrew? WANT IT!

ken-do-nim
2008-08-05, 10:14 PM
Trying to get this slightly back towards topic again:

Which four editions are these? Because as I count them, there's five:

D&D
AD&D
AD&D2
D&D3
D&D4

I actually count them somewhat differently, though I come up with the same number.

First there is Original D&D, which came with the 3 little brown books and the 4 supplements. That edition is more of a "do it your own kit", but if you're going to run it for a Gary tribute you'd probably want to use the bulk of the Greyhawk supplement.

Second, there is AD&D. I'm going to lump 1E and 2E together, because really the delta between those two editions is pretty much the same as between 3E and 3.5E.

Third there is the streamlining of OD&D known in some parts as Classic D&D which started with the Basic set and ultimately ended up as the Rules Cyclopedia, along the way acquiring 3 Basic sets (levels 1-3), 2 Expert sets (levels 4-14), 1 Companion (levels 15-25), and 1 Masters (levels 26-36). Even 1 Immortal, but that I'm told is really more of a spin-off rpg than D&D proper. Again, all of those sets are close enough in spirit to count as one edition.

Fourth there's 3E and 3.5E.

Fifth there's 4E.

Edit: I also consider Castles & Crusades a viable edition of D&D, so that would make six.

Roland St. Jude
2008-08-05, 10:40 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread locked before it becomes any more of a political discussion and flame war.