PDA

View Full Version : Oh No, A Time Paradox! [Creature]

The Demented One
2008-07-27, 01:38 PM
Paradoxen
Huge Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 25d10+150 (287 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: Fly 60 ft. (12 squares) (average)
Armor Class: 23 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +16 natural), touch 5, flatfooted 23
Base Attack/Grapple: +25/+46
Attack: Bite +36 melee (3d8+13)
Full Attack: Bite +36 melee (3d8+13) and 4 Claws +31 melee (1d12+6)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Living paradox, pounce, rend, temporal barrier
Special Qualities: Amorphous flesh, bulwark of time, damage reduction 5/–, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, resistance to cold 20, electricity 20, and fire 20, scent, spell resistance 30, temporal immunity, time flux
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +15, Will +19
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 8, Con 22, Int 6, Wis 20, Cha 14
Skills: Intimidate +9, Knowledge (The Planes) +6, Listen +12, Spot +12
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Awesome Blow, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Flyby Attack, Superior Initiative
Environment: Plane of Time
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 19
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 25-32 HD (Gargantuan), 33-40 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: –

Paradoxen are beasts native to the Plane of Time, a strange world from which time flows into the rest of the multiverse. Borne by this current of time to the Material Plane, Paradoxen are powerful predators who prey on time travelers. Their body is a rippling mass of silver and blue, more fluid than flesh, and their head is like that of an ancient creature that hunts in the deepest depths of the ocean. Four fluid, tentacle-like limbs extrude from their amorphous flesh, each one ending in a powerful, rending claw. Paradoxen are intelligent, and speak in the baroque and discordant language of the Plane of Time, Gallifreyan, which creatures not native to the plane can only learn if they have at least 20 ranks in Knowledge (The Planes). Paradoxen are not known to have been ever bargained with, and relentlessly hunt down any time travelers they can find.

Living Paradox (Su)
A Paradoxen’s presence is anathema to time travelers. Whenever a Paradoxen damages a creature that is not in its natural time with its bite or claw attacks, it forces some of that creature’s body back to its native time, inflicting grievous wounds and dealing 1d8 Constitution damage. Paradoxen themselves are immune to this ability.

Pounce (Ex)
Whenever a Paradoxen charges, it can make a full attack at the end of the charge.

Rend (Ex)
If a Paradoxen hits a creature with at least two claw attacks, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d12+12 points of damage.

Temporal Barrier (Su)
Any creature that comes within 30 ft. of a Paradoxen must make a DC 24 Will save or be caught in the field of slow time surrounding it, as the slow spell, for as long as they remain within 30 ft. of it. Once a creature successfully saves against this ability, it is immune to it for 24 hours.

Amorphous Flesh (Ex)
A Paradoxen’s body is in a state of constant flux, flowing and changing, making it difficult to target the beast’s vitals. Whenever a Paradoxen would be dealt extra damage from a sneak attack, critical hit, or a similar source of precision-based damage, there is a 75% chance that the extra damage is negated.

Bulwark of Time (Su)
Each round, a Paradoxen can ignore up to 20 points of damage, projecting those wounds into the future. It takes that damage 5 rounds after it would have originally been dealt it.

Temporal Immunity (Su)
A Paradoxen cannot be temporally slowed in any way. It is immune to the slow spell and all effects that imitate it. In addition, it can act normally during the duration of a time stop spell or similar effects, taking a standard action for each action the caster takes, though during that time it cannot harm creatures other than the caster of the spell.

Time Flux (Su)
A Paradoxen can sense locations where a spell, psionic power, or other effect, such as the time hop power or the [i]teleport through time (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b) spell, has been used to travel through time within the last one hundred years. It does not matter whether the location was where the spell was cast, or whether it was the destination of the spell. While in such a location, the Paradoxen can travel through time, either to the time the ability was used or the time travelled to. In addition, a Paradoxen can sense whether any creature within 60 ft. of it is not in its native time.

Guyr Adamantine
2008-07-27, 01:44 PM
I love you, sir. :smallbiggrin:

itsmeyouidiot
2008-07-27, 10:49 PM
Truly, a time mage's greatest enemy.

I can see it now. A powerful wizard, specializing in time travel, and his frequent nemesis, a single paradoxen, from which the wizard is constantly fleeing.

Silence
2008-07-27, 10:52 PM
Very nice stuff. I'll have to save that.

Eurus
2008-07-28, 08:43 AM
Heh, they remind me of Inevitables. Every Marut should have one or two tamed ones to help track down pesky Wizards who think they can run away to a different era. XD

DracoDei
2008-07-28, 09:05 AM
I think it was in one of VTs contests that someone did a time-stream protecting Inevitable...

The Demented One
2008-07-28, 10:12 AM
I think it was in one of VTs contests that someone did a time-stream protecting Inevitable...
I think there's actually a one of those in one of the Monster Manuals. Can't remeber the name...something pseudo-Indian.

arguskos
2008-07-28, 10:20 AM
I think you're thinking of the Quarut, from the Fiend Folio I believe. It was him or the Varakut, also in that book. One protects the time-stream, one protects the gods.

-argus

The Demented One
2008-07-28, 10:46 AM
I think you're thinking of the Quarut, from the Fiend Folio I believe. It was him or the Varakut, also in that book. One protects the time-stream, one protects the gods.

Bingo, think it is the Quarut.

Stycotl
2008-07-29, 10:02 AM
very nice. i like the potential that this has to truly stomp a timestop-favoring high-level character.

cool stuff.

Syne
2008-07-29, 10:04 AM
Quite cool. Always loved supernatural creatures of freaky origins.

The Demented One
2008-07-29, 09:32 PM
If you like the idea of time-traveling paradox monsters, it may be worth your while to check out the recruitment thread for The Paradox Wars (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4618308).

[/shameless self plug]

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-07-29, 09:48 PM
AweSOME!

This thing is fantastic from description to abilities

Chroneruts by Kellus (XX - Gone Mental) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4145921&postcount=6)