PDA

View Full Version : Giving the 2xRed Blood Cells thing is EXHAUSTING

AstralFire
2008-07-27, 02:16 PM
I can give blood and feel fine under normal circumstances, but I decided today I'd try out the double dosage since I know I won't make it to blood drives as often now that I'm not in college and surrounded by them.

That was three hours ago, I just slept from 1 to 3 and I still feel anemic and light-headed.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 02:20 PM
You probably just gave too much of it. I would have thought that the people who were in charge would have stoped you from giving it more then once, though.

AstralFire
2008-07-27, 02:21 PM
You probably just gave too much of it. I would have thought that the people who were in charge would have stoped you from giving it more then once, though.

No, no, it's called Double Red Cell Apheresis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apheresis

Automated Red Cell Collection (2RBC) - removal of two units of red blood cells. Erythrocytaphersis is the collection of RBC's, either two standard units of RBC's or one unit plus either plasma or platelets. The advantage to the donor is the use of smaller needles and saline compensation, as well as more convenient donating schedules (the no-donation period following apheresis is twice as long as that for a single unit). The advantage to the blood bankers is the on-line separation into standardized RBC masses with the subsequent reduction in testing, data entry and staffing. This process is commonly referred to as 'Double Reds' or 'Double Red Cell Apheresis.

SDF
2008-07-27, 02:23 PM
I can't give blood because I'm diabetic, but my friend found out when he went to the doctor that if he gives blood he would die without immediate medical treatment because he is so small.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 02:24 PM
Sorry about getting confused (I don't know how this sort of thing works). Should it have affected you that much, and did anything different happen to how it happened the last time you did this?

AstralFire
2008-07-27, 02:25 PM
I can't give blood because I'm diabetic, but my friend found out when he went to the doctor that if he gives blood he would die without immediate medical treatment because he is so small.

Huh, fellow LUEser here? Cool.

Sorry about getting confused (I don't know how this sort of thing works). Should it have affected you that much, and did anything different happen to how it happened the last time you did this?

Well, it is only a bit less exhausting than giving blood twice, so I'd guess this is normal. I've never given 2RBA before so I can't say for sure. When I gave normal blood amounts before though, I felt fine as long as I didn't try to be active.

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-27, 02:28 PM
If you take it easy, you should be fine. If you're not, I'd be happy to send you some Reiki tomorrow.

AstralFire
2008-07-27, 02:31 PM
If you take it easy, you should be fine. If you're not, I'd be happy to send you some Reiki tomorrow.

I'm sure I'll be fine in a day or so. If nothing else, I have an excuse not to do housework today.:tongue: