PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Powers for a Psychic Warrior Dip

NobleSavage
2008-07-27, 06:48 PM
Got a gestalt Archivist//Warblade, level 1, and I'm about to do a Psychic Warrior Dip for two levels to get Deep Impact, and I was looking on advice on what powers would to take. I'm looking for at least one utility power, and maybe a combat one. Expansion seems nice, but I'll be growing big and tall with my Divine spells. Maybe Synesthete or Conceal Thoughts? Manifester level will cap at 2, so keep that in mind.

Covered In Bees
2008-07-27, 06:58 PM
Got a gestalt Archivist//Warblade, level 1, and I'm about to do a Psychic Warrior Dip for two levels to get Deep Impact, and I was looking on advice on what powers would to take. I'm looking for at least one utility power, and maybe a combat one. Expansion seems nice, but I'll be growing big and tall with my Divine spells. Maybe Synesthete or Conceal Thoughts? Manifester level will cap at 2, so keep that in mind.

Synesthete and Conceal Thoughts are good ones.
Force Screen is also handy. Pick powers you'll be OK with using from a dorje.

mabriss lethe
2008-07-27, 10:10 PM
well...

Skate isn't bad if you want some added mobility for crowd control

Call weaponry or force screen could be useful if you expect to be caught with your pants down, but not really so hot otherwise. especially with only a 2 level dip. Force screen is a great one though, if you plan on using 2 handed weaponry.

vigor is a decent quick fix, but you'll probably have health related effects from other sources. so probably not a good choice.

conceal thoughts is a good one. will work for a long time, will have applications regardless of level.

Chameleon could be useful if you plan on sneaking around any, but otherwise...meh?

Aquillion
2008-07-27, 10:34 PM
How many power points will you have? You get a grand total of 1 without your wis mod, so keep that in mind.

Expansion isn't overwhelming until you can start augmenting it anyway (which you won't be able to do, with only ML 2 -- you could take practiced manifester, I guess, but your power points will still be too low unless you also find a way to increase them, so it's probably not worth it.)

I recommend you consider Burst. It can be activated as a swift action, which is very good -- many other low-level powers, you're never going to use at higher levels because you'll always have better things to do with your actions. But an extra 10 feet of movement as a swift action never hurts. It also has no dependence on manifester level or anything like that.

The two-hour duration you'll get on Conceal Thoughts is certainly nice if you intend to be bluffing.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-07-27, 10:39 PM
You'll need to wait a few levels for Deep Impact, due to the BAB requirement. As for what powers to pick, Grip of Iron could be extremely useful in those situations when you really need to get out of a grapple. Also keep in mind that you could easily pick up Practiced Manifester to have a ML of 6, and maybe even dip into something like Elocater for 1 or 3 levels to pick up some excellent utility abilities. That would also boost your ML to 7 or higher, making a 6-point augmentation of certain powers to make them a Swift Action possible.

Another idea would be to grab a level of Pyrokineticist or one of its variants (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e), especially considering that a Flame Lash always makes touch attacks, and that anything that can be used with a normal whip, including Power Attack and most maneuvers, can also be used with a Flame Lash. Feats like Point Blank Shot will always apply to it as well, and any bonus damage such as from strength or Power Attack will be additional fire damage (or whatever type of base damage the weapon deals).

Talic
2008-07-27, 11:44 PM
Respectfully disagree. Grapple unbalances so quickly that Grip's bonus won't likely be useful. Freedom of Movement from cleric side can handle this.

Burst is good as a throw on power. If he had 1 more level of psywar, he could take Practiced manifester, and go for quickened 7 round expansions. Or non-quickened 7 round double expansions. hm.

Chronos
2008-07-27, 11:52 PM
you could take practiced manifester, I guess, but your power points will still be too low unless you also find a way to increase them, so it's probably not worth it.If he has a positive Wis modifier, then Practiced Manifester will also increase his power points. Bonus power points depend on manifester level (the formula is 1/2*ML*ability bonus).

NobleSavage
2008-07-28, 12:57 PM
First off here's (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=61982) the sheet I've got so far. I've pretty much planned him out, focusing on the Warblade/Archivist combo for a buffing melee machine in combat, and a sort of diviner outside of it. The game is a bunch of solo games that loosely connect now, but will later on. I plan to have Alitar here become an information broker-ing mercenary/assassin guildmaster.

So I'm taking two levels of PsyWar pretty much only to get Psionic Focus and maximize the Diamond Mind goodness (I think you contributed/inspired this decision, Chronos). So;

Archivist1//Warblade1 (Power Attack, Extend Spell)
Archivist2//PsyWar1 [Psionic Weapon]
Archivist3//Warblade2 (Sculpt Spell or Smiting Spell)
Archivist4//PsyWar2 [Psionic Meditation]
Archivist5//Warblade3
Archivist6//Warblade4 [Deep Impact]

with all later feats going to Leadership/Metamagic featz. Therefore, no Practiced Manifestor, not worth it, as its such a small part of the character.

Pretty sure I'm picking up Conceal Thoughts, as it fits the character well and will cover an area not covered by divine spells so well (or leaving them open for better spells).

So, my remaining questions are thusly;

1) Are there any non-SRD 1st level PsyWar powers that are particularly useful? I.e. Does 'Urban Strider' work well?

2) Are there any nifty tricks 'Synesthete' can set up (already have Ebon Eyes)? Will it save my character in critical situations?