PDA

View Full Version : Wolverines skeletal system?

Jayngfet
2008-07-27, 07:49 PM
At the back of essential wolverine is wolverines skeleton, complete with claws, what confuses me is where the claws are, they run from the knuckles to the forearm, which should hold his arm firmly in place, never to move again. This is particularly bad because if he just heals back and his arm is in the wrong position it'll heal badly with some consequences.

Tallis
2008-07-27, 10:50 PM
I haven't seen the comic you're referring to, but I was under the impression that Wolverine's claws retracted completly into his forearms when not in use. No overlap into the hands. It would make more sense that way.

Blue Paladin
2008-07-28, 10:35 AM
This was brought up in an old Marvel Age letters column... The claws are supposed to fit entirely in his forearm (thus certain artists draw Wolverine wrong; they draw the claws way too long or too thick). There was specific mention that if Wolverine's hands were bent at the wrist and he "flexed" his claws, they would tear through his wrist. He therefore needs to keep his wrists un-bent while snikting, but once the claws are in place, he can move his wrist freely (the claws are all the way past the wrist joint).

Linkavitch
2008-07-28, 12:53 PM
Also, I read that the Adamantium part of Wolverine's skeleton was taken off by Magneto. INTENSE PAIN!!! Then, after he had healed, he had found that he also had bone claws. So the claws weren't put in by whoever put the adamantium in, they just augmented them.

Gundato
2008-07-28, 12:59 PM
Yes, the (most recently accepted) origin of Wolverine has his claws being a "natural" part of his mutation (just like the healing factor and the sense of smell).

Guyinthestreet
2008-07-28, 01:05 PM
I haven't seen the comic you're referring to, but I was under the impression that Wolverine's claws retracted completly into his forearms when not in use. No overlap into the hands. It would make more sense that way.

I'll have to say that I can't get to grips with Wolverine's claws. How does he unsheathe them? Is there a guiding path for the claws (e.g. cylinders), such that they don't poke out in the wrong place? If so, how would he bend his wrists in the first place?

Hawriel
2008-07-28, 01:11 PM
Yes. The claws are part of his mutation. It makes sence really. I remember seeing the covers of the books dealing with that story line. I thought to myself oh man its about time Magnito did that, and hay his claws are bone, glad some one thought it through. That makes sence. I never read the books. I got bord with Marvel around that time. So I dont know if they changed the way Logen faught to addapte to his claws no longer being vopral weapons.

In the mini series X-23. It is shown that X-23, a clone female of Logen, only had her claws admantium treated. Her claws are natural as well. She has two sets. A paire in her hands and feet.

Gundato
2008-07-28, 01:59 PM
I'll have to say that I can't get to grips with Wolverine's claws. How does he unsheathe them? Is there a guiding path for the claws (e.g. cylinders), such that they don't poke out in the wrong place? If so, how would he bend his wrists in the first place?

He flexes/spasms a muscle that normal humans don't have?

How does Spider-Man manage to make such a wide variety of webs at will? Hell, why does throwing up the horns apply the special pressure to trigger the shooters while making a fist or grabbing somebody doesn't?
How does Kitty control what her current state is?
How does Nightcrawler control where he is going?

Some stuff you just have to assume works in some meta-sciencey way.

Stormpax
2008-07-28, 07:15 PM

It's probably a mental thing. That makes the most sense then anything.

Guyinthestreet
2008-07-28, 09:19 PM
He flexes/spasms a muscle that normal humans don't have?

How does Spider-Man manage to make such a wide variety of webs at will? Hell, why does throwing up the horns apply the special pressure to trigger the shooters while making a fist or grabbing somebody doesn't?

Some stuff you just have to assume works in some meta-sciencey way.

Hmm. If you put it that way, I guess that there's more drama/humour/angst in comics than science or strategy. That's a pity.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-07-28, 11:45 PM
Hmm. If you put it that way, I guess that there's more drama/humour/angst in comics than science or strategy.I get where you are coming from on both points; but what does it really matter what the science of a fictional universe is? And strategy is only good if you like your comics full of Versus Mentality.

Gundato
2008-07-29, 12:07 AM
The reason that more comics don't use real science is because most superpowers can't easily be explained by modern science (let alone 1950's science).

Most people would rather read about "human" characters than the theoretical logic behind Reed Richards's latest super magic machine to save the day.

sikyon
2008-07-29, 12:33 AM

Spidey: The web shooters require not only superhuman strength to activate (far more than the normal strength grabbing something) but also a precision double-tap, if I recall.

Kitty: I don't see the problem. She probably generates some sort of phasing field. When unphased, works like normal. When phased still works like normal, as her phased body self-intercts. Unless you were thinking of something else.

Nightcrawler: The destination is locked in a split-moment before teleport.

Ethrael
2008-07-29, 02:10 AM
I don't know about Wolverine's claws, nor about Spidey's webs, but I do know about Kitty and Nightcrawler.

Kitty phasing state is triggered by her mind, like another limb. Imagine if you were in danger, wouldn't you ready your arm with the gun to shoot? It's the same with her phasing, except instead of an arm it's the whole body and instead of moving she's changing it's make up.

Nightcrawler locks in his mind where he wants to go, not by picturing it or anything, but by how far forward, left/right and up/down hence the "I'm afraid I'll appear inside the wall" stuff. That way, when he teleports through the other dimension his ability knows how far to move him.

Both of these are mostly assumptions based on comics and movies that I can trust. Don't take these as law. :smalltongue:

tetsubo
2008-07-29, 07:10 AM
Yes, the (most recently accepted) origin of Wolverine has his claws being a "natural" part of his mutation (just like the healing factor and the sense of smell).

This was hinted at way back in Barry Windsor-Smith's "Weapon X" story line in marvel comics presents when it was made stated that an abnormal amount of adamantium went into his hands/forarms. This was a few years before the "Fatal Attractions" story.

Hmm. If you put it that way, I guess that there's more drama/humour/angst in comics than science or strategy. That's a pity.

The X-men have always been a soap opera in comic form.

Nevrmore
2008-07-29, 07:47 AM
You have to tap twice in quick succession to get the webs to shoot. Just once won't activate it.

[/LIST]
It's specifically stated that he can only control where he teleport if it's within his field of vision. So, you know, he looks.

Gundato
2008-07-29, 10:34 AM
Remind me never to ask rhetorical questions to prove a point...

My point was, if we assume that Kitty's phasing is like "another limb", we also assume that Wolverine's claws are "another limb".

Tallis
2008-07-29, 11:05 AM

A guiding path would make sense. If it was made of cartilage or elastic tissue it could flex. The admantium could still rip through if he held his hand in the wrong position when he popped his claws, so he'd still have to be careful.

@Tetsubo-
It would take an abnormal amount of admantium to create the claws from scratch too. By itself I don't see that statement as evidence that the claws were natural.

@Gundato-
Don't ask retorical questions to prove a point:smallyuk:

Gavin Sage
2008-07-29, 04:58 PM
Wolverine's claws are kept in his forearm, how they extend is the real impossiblity but his mutation must include some specialized musculature to make it work. (That doesn't quite make sense, but it beats how Cyclops' optic blasts work which is the king non-sensical powers)

Oh and Wolverine is outdone by X-23 who has to have a claw in her foot. Given it doesn't seem as long most of the time, but teenage girls aren't exactly known for big feet either.

krossbow
2008-07-30, 01:59 AM
Hell, why does throwing up the horns apply the special pressure to trigger the shooters while making a fist or grabbing somebody doesn't?

Because Rocking out just makes things cooler.

tetsubo
2008-07-30, 06:56 AM
@Tetsubo-
It would take an abnormal amount of admantium to create the claws from scratch too. By itself I don't see that statement as evidence that the claws were natural.

True, I took it to mean that because it was said during the bonding process. I didn't think that they would be able to just create the claws at the same time as it was bonding to his skeleton or at least would have done it at a different time. But that does not mean that is what he was getting at with that line.

Also If I recall correctly the line was stated like he was surprised that it was happening. This would lead to the conclusion that they were not expecting that to happen.

sikyon
2008-07-30, 10:58 AM
(That doesn't quite make sense, but it beats how Cyclops' optic blasts work which is the king non-sensical powers)

A portal to the punch dimension opens just behind the retina of cyclop's eyes, which cause a stream of red light to be emitted as well as force channeled from the punch dimension. The force dissapates on contact with his or his brother's x-factor, because in this event another portal opens up and channels the force back into the punch dimension.

Rift_Wolf
2008-07-30, 12:27 PM
I'm putting together a wolverine inspired antagonist to my games. D&D rules have the perfect explanation for how a golem can hide three longsword sized claws in it's hand.
Three tiny bags of holding, basically.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-07-30, 01:50 PM
A portal to the punch dimension opens just behind the retina of cyclop's eyes, which cause a stream of red light to be emitted as well as force channeled from the punch dimension. The force dissapates on contact with his or his brother's x-factor, because in this event another portal opens up and channels the force back into the punch dimension.It is explanations like these that stupid things up; can we officially call this one a Voodoo Shark? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VoodooShark)

Gundato
2008-07-30, 02:52 PM
I love how people can apparently accept that Wolverine can survive with his bones encased in metal, can heal from almost anything, and is apparently freaky old. But they can't accept that his physiology might be a whee bit different in the forearm department.

Same with how Kurt can teleport everywhere, Kitty can phase through stuff, and all these psykers can do almost anything (including making water run uphill with no real effort). But apparently the Summers brothers can't pull energy out of thin air.

krossbow
2008-07-30, 05:26 PM
I love how people can apparently accept that Wolverine can survive with his bones encased in metal, can heal from almost anything, and is apparently freaky old. But they can't accept that his physiology might be a whee bit different in the forearm department.

Same with how Kurt can teleport everywhere, Kitty can phase through stuff, and all these psykers can do almost anything (including making water run uphill with no real effort). But apparently the Summers brothers can't pull energy out of thin air.

Its not so much that they're pulling energy out of thin air, but rather the area that its produced from.

Plenty of mutant's can manipulate energy; however, that Scott can only manipulate energy from his EYES, and no where else on his body is the problem. Add in that the eyes are one of the most delicate and complicated organs in the body, and you see why using energy eye beams seems less like a cool idea and more like a recipe for blowing your sight out.

Put it in another way: Okay, he can only do this from his eyes for some arbitrary and unexplained reason. As there is no real reason for it to occur from his eyes, it should make the same logical sense from any other part of his body.
However, were it to fire from his knee caps, his foot, or, god forbid, his ass, would the scientific explanation seem any more ludicrous? Of course it would. However, at its core, it would remain just as plausible.

That speaks volumes about its believability :/

(on the subject of wolverine, i for one HATE his healing factor with a passion. Okay, he can heal really well, i can go for that. However, when he can heal back from ANYTHING because he goes and fights the freaking angel of death HIMSELF, then i have issues. Whats next, is he going to punch out god?)

Om
2008-07-30, 05:36 PM
@Gundato-
Don't ask retorical questions to prove a point:smallyuk:
Sounder advice would be to not ask rhetorical questions of comic book fans

Jayngfet
2008-07-30, 05:47 PM

You know, it'd be fine if we didn't get some attempt at an explanation.

Gundato
2008-07-30, 06:21 PM
Plenty of mutant's can manipulate energy; however, that Scott can only manipulate energy from his EYES, and no where else on his body is the problem. Add in that the eyes are one of the most delicate and complicated organs in the body, and you see why using energy eye beams seems less like a cool idea and more like a recipe for blowing your sight out.
Don't a lot of mutants only fire crap out of their hands.
Syrin (and a bunch of the other screamers) can only fire sound waves out of her mouth. The vocal chords and the throat are rather sensitive, that much strain would probably rip it apart.
The Blob used to be REALLY fat. That would be bad for his skeleton and cause back strain.

Seriously, is it that hard to assume that the (Marvel style) mutant who can shoot freaking laser beams out of his eyes might have a slightly different physiology? :p. Maybe his eyes are stronger or arranged differently. Or maybe he is just a (Marvel style) mutant?

krossbow
2008-07-31, 01:24 AM
Don't a lot of mutants only fire crap out of their hands.
Syrin (and a bunch of the other screamers) can only fire sound waves out of her mouth. The vocal chords and the throat are rather sensitive, that much strain would probably rip it apart.
The Blob used to be REALLY fat. That would be bad for his skeleton and cause back strain.

Seriously, is it that hard to assume that the (Marvel style) mutant who can shoot freaking laser beams out of his eyes might have a slightly different physiology? :p. Maybe his eyes are stronger or arranged differently. Or maybe he is just a (Marvel style) mutant?

actually, now that i think of, wasn't there some story arc where a bunch of mutants lost their required secondary powers (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RequiredSecondaryPowers) and starting ending up killing themselves? (leading to people burning themselves when using fire powers, crushing themselves when doing heavy lifting, ect.?)

sikyon
2008-07-31, 08:42 AM
Its not so much that they're pulling energy out of thin air, but rather the area that its produced from.

Put it in another way: Okay, he can only do this from his eyes for some arbitrary and unexplained reason. As there is no real reason for it to occur from his eyes, it should make the same logical sense from any other part of his body.
However, were it to fire from his knee caps, his foot, or, god forbid, his ass, would the scientific explanation seem any more ludicrous? Of course it would. However, at its core, it would remain just as plausible.

That speaks volumes about its believability :/

(on the subject of wolverine, i for one HATE his healing factor with a passion. Okay, he can heal really well, i can go for that. However, when he can heal back from ANYTHING because he goes and fights the freaking angel of death HIMSELF, then i have issues. Whats next, is he going to punch out god?)

Your entire premise is based on the idea that there isn't a specific reason force comes out of his eyes, that you know of. And therefore you assume there isn't one, which is wrong. There are more things in heaven and earth than people can ever dream of.

Let me ask you something:

Why the heck does your left arm come out of your left shoulder? Why not have it come out your chest, with a socket/joint there? there's no reason it HAS to go in your shoulder, if you shifted some organs around/made your torso bigger and slotted another joint/muscles in your chest you could have a working arm coming out of it.

Your arguement is really trivial. Self-consistent, but trivial.

krossbow
2008-07-31, 11:52 AM
Your entire premise is based on the idea that there isn't a specific reason force comes out of his eyes, that you know of. And therefore you assume there isn't one, which is wrong. There are more things in heaven and earth than people can ever dream of.

Let me ask you something:

Why the heck does your left arm come out of your left shoulder? Why not have it come out your chest, with a socket/joint there? there's no reason it HAS to go in your shoulder, if you shifted some organs around/made your torso bigger and slotted another joint/muscles in your chest you could have a working arm coming out of it.

Your arguement is really trivial. Self-consistent, but trivial.

Actually, there's a very good reason that your left arm comes out of your left shoulder. its a evolutionary holdover when it was used for balance when we went on all fours, using our knuckles and palms for balance.

It would be much less balancing if it came out of the chest. As it was most efficient then when used for another purpose for it to be on our left, it stayed on the left side when its use changed.

However, the beams are a completely new mutation and occurence, hence the reasoning that it would be strange for it to occur in a random location.

J.R.R. tolkien once said that the most important thing about fantasy is realism. Its somewhat of a put off when, instead of being told reasonably why something happens we're supposed to essentially accept the "its magic!" reasoning for why things happen, in that their is some unknowable reason for it.

Gundato
2008-07-31, 12:39 PM
Actually, there's a very good reason that your left arm comes out of your left shoulder. its a evolutionary holdover when it was used for balance when we went on all fours, using our knuckles and palms for balance.

It would be much less balancing if it came out of the chest. As it was most efficient then when used for another purpose for it to be on our left, it stayed on the left side when its use changed.

However, the beams are a completely new mutation and occurence, hence the reasoning that it would be strange for it to occur in a random location.

Random mutations are strange? :p What a shock...

Okay, how is this for a rationale for eyes? Whatever you look at dies. What better way to aim than by looking at something? Hell, we rig chopper pilots' helmets so that the gun tracks what they are looking at.

You are forcing "logic" on some things, but not others. Like I said, it is just like how everyone in this thread seems to accept that Wolverine can heal from anything, track by scent, and survive having metal grafted over all his bones. But the moment we have to consider that his forearms might be slightly different from our own, it is horrifying?

jerichodrumm
2008-07-31, 05:26 PM

Yeah I am sure when Stan Lee created a cool idea like "Cyclops a guy who shoots beams from his eyes" he really shoulda worried about worried how it was scientifically feasible.

"Sorry guys...Can't do it! Eyes are too delicate of organs for us to possibly put this in a comic book! What? I know the name and concept is cool and people might enjoy it for decades to come but I cant create characters arbitrarily like that with no explained reason."

sealemon
2008-07-31, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by sikyon
A portal to the punch dimension opens just behind the retina of cyclop's eyes, which cause a stream of red light to be emitted as well as force channeled from the punch dimension. The force dissapates on contact with his or his brother's x-factor, because in this event another portal opens up and channels the force back into the punch dimension.

I've heard this before; if I remeber correctly it's the explanation given by the Marvel Superheros RPG, but in the actualy comics I seem to remember Summers himslef saying that the eye beams are based on stored solor energy; keep him out of the sun long enough and the beams would stop. still kinda goofy, but much less so that the concept that Summer's eyes are the gateway to some other dimension.

sealemon
2008-07-31, 07:31 PM
This is what I get for posting before researching: The interdiminsional eye thingie is correct, but Scott DOES need sunlight to open the gateway...or sumthin: Here, from Marvel.com, spoilered cause it's wordy:

Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a beam of heatless ruby-colored concussive force from his eyes, which act as inter-dimensional apertures between this universe and another. Cyclops' body constantly absorbs ambient energy, such as sunlight, from his environment into his body's cells that allows him to open the apertures. Cyclops' mind generates a psionic field that is attuned to the forces that maintain the apertures. Because this field envelops his body, it automatically shunts the other-dimensional particles back into their point of origin when they collide with his body. Thus, his body is protected from the effects of the particles, and even the thin membranes of his eyelids are sufficient to block the emission of energy. The synthetic ruby quartz crystal used to fashion the lenses of Cyclops' eyewear is resonant to his minds' psionic field and is similarly protected.

The width of Cyclops' optic blast is focused by his mind's psionic field with the same autonomic function that regulated his original eyes' ability to focus. As Cyclops focuses, the size of the apertures change and thus act as a valve to control the flow of particles and the beam's relative power. The height of Cyclops's eye-blast is controlled by his visor's adjustable slit. The beam's effective range is approximately 2,000 feet.

Due to a head injury, Cyclops is unable to shut off his optic blasts at will and must therefore wear ruby quartz lenses to block the beams.

And to get back on track, yes as I understand it, Logan's claws should be houseed intirely in his forearms when not in use, the fact that some artists exagerate the length of the claws surprises me not at all.

Gavin Sage
2008-07-31, 08:44 PM
This is what I get for posting before researching: The interdiminsional eye thingie is correct, but Scott DOES need sunlight to open the gateway...or sumthin: Here, from Marvel.com, spoilered cause it's wordy:

Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a beam of heatless ruby-colored concussive force from his eyes, which act as inter-dimensional apertures between this universe and another. Cyclops' body constantly absorbs ambient energy, such as sunlight, from his environment into his body's cells that allows him to open the apertures. Cyclops' mind generates a psionic field that is attuned to the forces that maintain the apertures. Because this field envelops his body, it automatically shunts the other-dimensional particles back into their point of origin when they collide with his body. Thus, his body is protected from the effects of the particles, and even the thin membranes of his eyelids are sufficient to block the emission of energy. The synthetic ruby quartz crystal used to fashion the lenses of Cyclops' eyewear is resonant to his minds' psionic field and is similarly protected.

The width of Cyclops' optic blast is focused by his mind's psionic field with the same autonomic function that regulated his original eyes' ability to focus. As Cyclops focuses, the size of the apertures change and thus act as a valve to control the flow of particles and the beam's relative power. The height of Cyclops's eye-blast is controlled by his visor's adjustable slit. The beam's effective range is approximately 2,000 feet.

Due to a head injury, Cyclops is unable to shut off his optic blasts at will and must therefore wear ruby quartz lenses to block the beams.

And to get back on track, yes as I understand it, Logan's claws should be houseed intirely in his forearms when not in use, the fact that some artists exagerate the length of the claws surprises me not at all.

Its the solar part that gets me truly. Cyclops soaks up energy not to use but to fuel an interdimenisonal portal to another universe. Which is apparently filled with an infinite amount of red force energy, which only otherwise exists in D&D to my knowledg. Oh and Cyke has enough psionic power to not blow his eyelids to pieces, and still can't hurt his brothers.

If they ever decide to fix the brain damage permanently and play with some of the implications... Cyclops should argueably be somewhere in the Superman power range. Oye.

Nice to see my tangential comment turning out so nicely though. On topic though again, anything Wolverine has X-23 has worse. Though on artists, I expect it but it still didn't help me sighing when noticing a statue of X-23 in my local comic shop... has claws LONGER then her forearm.

sikyon
2008-07-31, 08:47 PM

Your arguement isn't even valid, simply because x-men is not how evolution works.

That being said, x-factor gene is basically magical and explains alot. Since scott's eyes are a portal to the punch dimension, logically his eyes have been modified to do this. The eyes are very sensitive, and already interact with light. Now if his power came out of his shoulder to start with, you would have some sort of point. But they don't, they come out of an entirely different and very complex organ, so your arguement is, well, basically:

"I don't understand why his eye beams come out of his eyes, and only his eyes. Therefore, because I don't understand it, there must be no reason for this. Therefore it could have happened randomly and made just as much sense."

Protip: Your error is in the second sentence.

Also notice how this problem applies to any analysis you do of a force you don't understand.

Rasagal
2008-08-02, 06:10 AM
If they ever decide to fix the brain damage permanently and play with some of the implications... Cyclops should argueably be somewhere in the Superman power range. Oye.

Funny thing is, at the last issue of Ultimate X-Men that i read, Cyclops resorts to using Banshee(Mutant drug that enhances powers and even allowed Rogue to control her powers) to save his teammates. On the next few pages he destroyed his visor, could control his powers, his eyes glowed red, overpowered a guy who previously just shrugged him off in a glance and could fly. So you might be on something there.

sikyon
2008-08-02, 03:08 PM
Funny thing is, at the last issue of Ultimate X-Men that i read, Cyclops resorts to using Banshee(Mutant drug that enhances powers and even allowed Rogue to control her powers) to save his teammates. On the next few pages he destroyed his visor, could control his powers, his eyes glowed red, overpowered a guy who previously just shrugged him off in a glance and could fly. So you might be on something there.

There is no reason for him to be as strong as superman, seeing as how superman's "solar battery" doesn't even make any sense. There is no way to absorb enough energy from the sun to have superman's power level.

I perfer to think of it as "solar energy catalyzes another reaction" giving him more power, but in this case cyclops and superman have no reason for solar light to catalyze the same reaction.

Jack_Banzai
2008-08-02, 03:29 PM
It's hilarious how people can argue about how this or that are impossible when they ignore small things like how most of the female X-Men should have crippling back pain due to their huge chests and how almost all of X-Force appear to have had at least a couple of ribs removed in order to achieve their impossibly small waists, completely disproportionate to their huge shoulders.

:P

sikyon
2008-08-02, 07:58 PM
It's hilarious how people can argue about how this or that are impossible when they ignore small things like how most of the female X-Men should have crippling back pain due to their huge chests and how almost all of X-Force appear to have had at least a couple of ribs removed in order to achieve their impossibly small waists, completely disproportionate to their huge shoulders.

GB2photography, LRN2art

Nevrmore
2008-08-03, 12:04 AM

What, do you only read comics drawn by Rob Liefeld?

Gavin Sage
2008-08-03, 08:12 PM

Yes because this girl (http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetxmen.gamespy.com/images/solicits/200701/x23thetarget-2.jpg), this girl (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8d/Kitty_Pryde_by_Paul_Smith.jpg/250px-Kitty_Pryde_by_Paul_Smith.jpg), this girl (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Uxm449.jpg), and even the resident slut (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2c/Emma_Frost_in_current_costume.jpg/262px-Emma_Frost_in_current_costume.jpg) all fit that description. Especially with shoulders at are you know, about the size of their waists if it wasn't for their arms. And all of them clearly challenge Powergirl.

Foeofthelance
2008-08-05, 11:07 AM
Heh. I was half expecting a picture of Layla Miller or Armor, but yeah. Liefield hasn't drawn the X-Men in a while. Most of them actually come out looking fairly human. Well, except for Beast at any rate...