PDA

View Full Version : Obvious Malconvoker question: What about an evil character?

Aquillion
2008-07-27, 10:00 PM
Ok. I can totally buy the Malconvoker fluff. Someone who uses stereotypical 'evil' powers in the cause of good can be cool, sure. Nothing wrong with that. Someone who summons demons to save kittens from trees? Sure, whatever.

The thing is... what about the people who summon demons because they are evil and want power?

The Malconvoker reminds me badly of the complaints a lot of people have about the flood of good-aligned rebel dark elves -- people think 'evil is cool' but also want to be heroic, so they turn into 90s brooding superheroes who get to look cool in leather and have a heart of gold.

I mean, fine, if that's what you want to play, knock yourself out... but WotC has bent over so far backwards to support those people what they've sort of neglected to support the people who like the leather and goatee because they are evil.

Srsly. Suppose my character concept is that I am an evil wizard who summons evil demons for power (and evil.) I want to be evil at every point in my progression, and refuse to change this even to qualify for Malconvoker for a minute. I am as evil as evil can be, and naturally as an evil evil person I want to be specialized at summoning evil outsiders... while being at least as good as a Malconvoker. Obviously, no homebrew (especially no homebrew changes to Malconvoker.)

How can my evil character be as good a demon-summoner as a Malconvoker, without resorting to homebrew or special DM permission? Because if I can't, something's seriously broken here.

Emperor Tippy
2008-07-27, 10:29 PM
Well the good subtype would qualify one for Malconvoker which would let you play anything with the good subtype and just be evil from day 1.

The only problem is that of the core monsters with the good subtype, the Hound Archon has the lowest LA with its +5.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-07-27, 11:59 PM
Read the adaptation section, where IIRC it recommends changing the fluff to fit your needs. If your DM is that much of a stickler for the rules, play pun-pun, and be the best summoner in the universe.

Or if this is just about the lack of support specifically for evil characters, vs. the overwhelming support for good, WotC assumes people will play good. They're wrong, but that's the base assumption. The only way to even play evil is usually to re-fluff anything you use.

Or if this is just about the(in your opinion) large amounts of support for anti-heros, my planned Malkonverter is a 12-year old girl who only summons evil stuff because it would be rude to expect a paragon of good to interrupt his day to help her, whereas evil creatures being interrupted is a good thing, especially since they're probably eating babies or something before she summoned them. Not really a Drizzt knockoff, eh?

Xyk
2008-07-28, 12:12 AM
I would prefer evil summoning angels to do their bidding. That's the kind of stuff that will mess up people's heads.

Ascension
2008-07-28, 12:56 AM
I would prefer evil summoning angels to do their bidding. That's the kind of stuff that will mess up people's heads.

Wouldn't be hard to do, either, all you'd have to do is switch evil for good and vice versa in the Malconvoker's description and abilities...

Chronicled
2008-07-28, 01:05 AM
Wouldn't be hard to do, either, all you'd have to do is switch evil for good and vice versa in the Malconvoker's description and abilities...

"Now, Archons! Eat those babies! FOR THE GREATER GOOD!"

Jayngfet
2008-07-28, 01:11 AM
Bright lights have no mouths, and a big ol crimson wolf man eating a baby isn't as much of a shock. You'd need a trumpet archon for any real effect.

Chronicled
2008-07-28, 01:15 AM
Bright lights have no mouths

That's the archons' problem, not mine. :smallwink: