PDA

View Full Version : Playtesting analysis help: how much damage is Broken?

Eighth_Seraph
2008-07-28, 12:23 AM
Alright, so I recently did a playtest arena match for the two systems in my signature: the Avatar: the Last Airbender waterbender and earthbender against the non-magical monk variant I made in a battle royale, all of us at level 10. The monk variant I created is governed by different fighting styles, several of which have a special ability called "Decisive Strike" that allows the monk to sacrifice two attacks in a full attack in exchange for a single attack that deals double damage.

Now, using this ability alongside another style ability that allows a monk of Hand and Foot to count her feet (but not her hands) as two-handed weapons for Power Attack purposes, I was getting an effective +20 to damage each attack. Here's what my attack and damage breakdown looked like for a full power attack. I also used a chi-enhancing tea to get a Haste effect, so my BAB was, essentially, +9/+9/+4, because of a one-level dip in Airbender.

Attack 1 - (1d20+13)[32]
Attack 2 - (1d20+13)[29]

Damage 1 - (1d10+19)[25] + (1d4)[1] = 26 damage
Damage 2 - (1d10+19)[27] + (1d4)[2] = 29 x 2 = 58 damage

The 1d4 is from the Dirty Fighting feat (Sword and Fist). I had also gotten the Knock-Down feat, which grants me a free Trip attempt whenever I deal 10 or more damage. And I had the Improved trip feat. And Stunning Fist, with a +2 to Fort save on the Decisive Strike.

My question is this: Is 84 damage a turn, plus possible stunning, a free trip and an additional attack too much damage or too much crippling at tenth level? Should I tone down any of the abilities in the class design?

Talic
2008-07-28, 12:41 AM
Dirty fighting requires you use a full round action on 1 attack to use it. You may not make iterative attacks when using that feat.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-07-28, 12:43 AM
You sure? The feat description (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Dirty_Fighting,SF) says "Full-Attack" action, not full-round, which by definition requires iterative attacks, or atleast a full-round action to make as many attacks as you are capable.

Emperor Tippy
2008-07-28, 12:46 AM
Not really. I just made a swordsage that does: (1d4+4d6+19)*2 + (1d4+4d6+19)*2 damage with no attack penalty and non magic weapons.

That averages 142 damage against a single target. Throw in a +1 Flaming and a +1 Frost dagger and the average damage increases to 160. A few other tweaks and I can get it even higher.

Dairun Cates
2008-07-28, 12:50 AM
Regardless. If there is a problem. I don't think it's the extra d4 of damage. I've actually had a friend's barbarian in a D&D campaign do about 2/3rds this kind of damage. Hmm. It's actually kind of hard to say. That IS a lot of damage, but for a hasted full-round set of attacks with power-attack, that's not the worst I've ever seen.

EDIT: And I just remembered that barbarian DOESN'T have power attack yet and is level 6.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-07-28, 12:56 AM
Barbarian. No Power Attack. At level 6. Oh dear. The poor boy is probably a half-elf with 12 Strength and a Charisma of 18, to boot.

Kidding. Sort of.

So...dealing 84 damage and Stunning/Tripping/getting an extra attack for free is all okay and non-broken? Cool.

Monsieur L'Emperor, is your swordsage doing that at level 10?

Covered In Bees
2008-07-28, 12:59 AM
A "typical" two-weapon-fighting Swordsage at level 10 has Shadow Blade, Discipline Focus(Tiger Claw), and the Pouncing Charge maneuver and Dancing Mongoose boost. That means he opens combat by charging for six attacks on a full attack, each dealing 1d6+weapon enhancement + DEX + WIS (+STR if he's a Swordsage 8/Bloodclaw Master 2), which works out to considerably more than that (but is hit harder by damage reduction).

Dancing Mongoose can be replaced with Searing Blade.

Emperor Tippy
2008-07-28, 01:16 AM
Assassins Stance: 2d6 Sneak Attack
Searing Blade: +2d6 + 10 damage
Ruby Nightmare Blade: x2 damage
Dual Strike: Off-Hand attack as part of a standard action (debatable how exactly this works out in relation to ToB).
Shadow Blade: Dex to Damage
Claw's of the Beast: Full Strength bonus for off hand weapon.

@Seraph
Yeah, level 10.

Talic
2008-07-28, 01:24 AM
Orc (LA 0) Barbarian 10 (Lion Totem)

22 base str, +2 Level gain, +2 item = 26 str.

Power attack, shock trooper, leap attack.

Rage, Charge, Power attack for 10 (-10 to AC), with greatsword

+20 attack for 2d6+15 (str*1.5) + 40 (power attack *2 -2hand +100% -leap attack), average 62 damage
+15 attack for 2d6+15 (str*1.5) + 40 (power attack *2 -2hand +100% -leap attack), average 62 damage

Average damage in round if both hit? 124.

Add in Combat Brute, and you can maintain 1 for 3 power attack in following rounds, when not charging.

Dairun Cates
2008-07-28, 01:47 AM
Barbarian. No Power Attack. At level 6. Oh dear. The poor boy is probably a half-elf with 12 Strength and a Charisma of 18, to boot.

Kidding. Sort of.

So...dealing 84 damage and Stunning/Tripping/getting an extra attack for free is all okay and non-broken? Cool.

Monsieur L'Emperor, is your swordsage doing that at level 10?

Actually, he's a Bear Shifter in eberron with the ability to enlarge himself for 100 gold everytime he shifts. Average attacking round for him is about 60 damage right now.

Eighth_Seraph
2008-07-28, 10:15 AM
Hrm, so the damage seems decent for a non-Tome of Battle non-magical character, though it definitely won't raise any eyebrows on the char-op boards. Man, I kinda want ToB now, just so I can have it as a homebrew tool.

Alright, this leads to another question. The waterbender I did this attack against had 66 HP, an AC of 19, and DR 5/-. In other words, a squishy twig with a big red target painted on it. Is this normal for casters at level 10? How much does a normal suit of buffs affect HP and AC? I don't use magic very often, and I dunno what normal D&D assumes to keep the balance between warriors and casters.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-07-28, 10:18 AM
I don't use magic very often, and I dunno what normal D&D assumes to keep the balance between warriors and casters.:smallconfused: Balance? What is this balance of which you speak?
Go to the end of the monk thread, and read about "balance" there. You will be enlightened.

AlterForm
2008-07-28, 10:20 AM
WBl at L10 is 49,000
Mithral Chain Shirt +1 costs 2100
Ring of Protection +2 is 8K
Ammy of Nat Armor +2 is 8K
DEX 12 is cheap; +2 for 4K, for +3 from DEX

22,100 spent so far.

Total AC: 10+5+2+2+3 = 22, easy. Another point or so could eeked from another +1 on the chain, or bumping the DEX, or an Ioun Stone of AC.

[EDIT]: And everything Talic said.

Talic
2008-07-28, 10:26 AM
Hrm, so the damage seems decent for a non-Tome of Battle non-magical character, though it definitely won't raise any eyebrows on the char-op boards. Man, I kinda want ToB now, just so I can have it as a homebrew tool.

Alright, this leads to another question. The waterbender I did this attack against had 66 HP, an AC of 19, and DR 5/-. In other words, a squishy twig with a big red target painted on it. Is this normal for casters at level 10? How much does a normal suit of buffs affect HP and AC? I don't use magic very often, and I dunno what normal D&D assumes to keep the balance between warriors and casters.

It doesn't. Good buffs may affect HP, but trying to avoid hits by boosting AC is a path to failure. Typical mage buffs for not being hit are: Blur, Mirror Image, Invisibility, Blink.

Hal
2008-07-28, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure I can add much that others haven't, but I will say this: If you feel like that kind of attack combo is too much, just make it a use per day or per combat effect. This way, the character is still able to pull off something incredible, but can't do it every single round.