PDA

View Full Version : Help with a cantrip-user

XenoGeno
2008-07-28, 12:37 AM
This was an idea I came up with after reading a "useful cantrips" thread, which mentioned that the spell Launch Bolt didn't specify what size bolt it launched, and could be used with Colossal sized bolts.

So my idea is a halfling sorcerer who uses this (with the colossal bolts) almost to the point of exclusion of all others. Now here's the kicker: he rides the bolts while he uses the spell. I'm thinking maybe giving him some levels of rogue for sneak attack (if I can apply SA damage with this spell), and maybe turning the bolt into an animated object at higher levels. Any other suggestions so this character won't be completely crappy?

thegurullamen
2008-07-28, 12:39 AM
Talk with your DM to save yourself some time. No way in hell is a sane DM going to let a cantrip launch a ballista bolt.

Jayngfet
2008-07-28, 12:40 AM
If you're going for cantrips only I suggest mending to fix some collateral damage and ray of frost for an alternate attack(apprentice fireball also works if allowed).

Chronicled
2008-07-28, 12:46 AM
Now here's the kicker: he rides the bolts while he uses the spell.

:smallamused:

This is an image almost on par with the firing of the chainsaw rocket.

Edit: Aha! Here it is:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/sergey25/Artwork2/ImageD.jpg

nobodylovesyou4
2008-07-28, 12:49 AM

best. image. EVER.

Jayngfet
2008-07-28, 12:50 AM
Also, if you're only using cantrips and you're DM is generous I recommend blood drops. You never know when a vampire needs distracting and you're short on obese children.

SoD
2008-07-28, 01:27 AM
Blood Drops? Apprentice Fireball? What do those two do?

But you'll probably want a few levels of sorcerer, for casting times per day.

Jayngfet
2008-07-28, 01:35 AM
Blood Drops? Apprentice Fireball? What do those two do?

But you'll probably want a few levels of sorcerer, for casting times per day.

Blood drops makes a few pints of blood, apprentice fireball is essentially a weak fireball, here are the spells (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Sorcerer/Wizard_Spell_List).

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-28, 01:43 AM
I can't see those spells on that page.

Jayngfet
2008-07-28, 01:53 AM
Huh, they've been removed from that list, I'll see if a new list's been made.

EDIT: Found it. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/DnD_Sorcerer/Wizard_Spells)

Tempest Fennac
2008-07-28, 01:54 AM
I just found them on other pages: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Apprentice%27_Fireball_%28DnD_Spell%29 and http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Blood_Drops_%28DnD_Spell%29 .

XenoGeno
2008-07-28, 12:03 PM
Actually, after seeing the Jelly spells, I think I might use those with the crossbow launching. Just imagine, a halfling laughing maniacally as he soars at an enemy on a giant crossbow bolt, summoning Jell-o when he passes... Are any of the jelly spells any good?

And yes, the chainsaw rocket is the most awesome picture I've ever seen.

Gorbash
2008-07-28, 12:46 PM

I've got a similar one

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/Gorbash/20080225.jpg

spamoo
2008-07-28, 01:11 PM
I like the sneak attack idea, but I would imagine that it is pretty hard to surprise an opponent while riding on a crossbow bolt the size of your opponent. You could try going pure sorcerer and just launching off lightning bolts, fireballs, Magic Missiles, etc at everyone you fly by. Also, how could a halfling carry around a colossal crossbow bolt?

Jayngfet
2008-07-28, 02:36 PM
Considering one cantrip is create food/water that doesn't taste like like paste(create jelly) I'd reccommend some of them.

Jelly orb might stun you're enemies on sheer wtf factor.

Curmudgeon
2008-07-28, 02:36 PM
Also, how could a halfling carry around a colossal crossbow bolt? In a Portable Hole, of course. Figure 3 rounds to get at one of those suckers, wasted every single combat ...

arguskos
2008-07-28, 02:38 PM
What about Enlarge Object, to create a Colossal sized bolt?

-argus

Epinephrine
2008-07-28, 03:20 PM
Why would anyone think you could launch a colossal crossbow bolt with a light crossbow?

"You cast this spell on a crossbow bolt, causing it to fly at a target of your choice as if you had fired it from a light crossbow,"

It doesn't seem to say "a colossal light crossbow".

Vexxation
2008-07-28, 03:41 PM
Why would anyone think you could launch a colossal crossbow bolt with a light crossbow?

"You cast this spell on a crossbow bolt, causing it to fly at a target of your choice as if you had fired it from a light crossbow,"

It doesn't seem to say "a colossal light crossbow".

It doesn't say it's not a colossal crossbow.
That is, it doesn't specifically say "medium light crossbow."

Also, anyone else think that Sense Spiders could lead to hilarity?
"My Spider Sense is tingling..."
"Uh-oh..."
"There it is; there's a daddy-longlegs behind the sofa."
*facepalm*

Also, Filth Animation...
"Material Component: A hairball containing the fur and bones of a rat, which must have been formed and coughed up by the caster (the hairball, not the rat)." EWWW!

And Double Cantrip is kinda worthless. Except to be showy.

arguskos
2008-07-28, 03:43 PM
I think if Double Cantrip was altered to be a free action to cast, then it could be amusing. Cast it, then cast the swift action Caltrops, then the standard action *some cantrip that knocks people over here*, then laugh. Is it good? No. Is it amusing? Damn right.

-argus

Epinephrine
2008-07-28, 05:28 PM
It doesn't say it's not a colossal crossbow.
That is, it doesn't specifically say "medium light crossbow."

No, and Major Creation doesn't specify that the mineral created can't be composed of antimatter. Nor does the Light spell specify that the light is in the visible frequencies, and Summon Instrument specifies that the instrument can be no larger than could be held in both hands, but it doesn't specify whose hands, clearly allowing you to summon colossal cowbell to drop on your enemies while flying over them, a noisy death.

:smallconfused:

Chronicled
2008-07-28, 05:37 PM
No, and Major Creation doesn't specify that the mineral created can't be composed of antimatter. Nor does the Light spell specify that the light is in the visible frequencies, and Summon Instrument specifies that the instrument can be no larger than could be held in both hands, but it doesn't specify whose hands, clearly allowing you to summon colossal cowbell to drop on your enemies while flying over them, a noisy death.

:smallconfused:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k296/13robin13/MoreCowbell1.jpg

It had to be said.

Siosilvar
2008-07-28, 05:39 PM
That just gave me an excellent idea. Use an infrared light spell to let your elf see, but not the monsters.

Oh wait, this is 3rd edition... :smallfrown:

XenoGeno
2008-07-28, 05:52 PM
and Summon Instrument specifies that the instrument can be no larger than could be held in both hands, but it doesn't specify whose hands, clearly allowing you to summon colossal cowbell to drop on your enemies while flying over them, a noisy death.

Actually, summon instrument requires you to summon the instrument at your hands or feet, so unless you were flying... but still, I like that idea. "Don't fear the reaper, FEAR ME!!!" Heheh, more cowbell. :P

But I don't see the problem. A colossal bolt only deals 6d6 damage, as much as an icelance, and gets destroyed whenever it hits a target (which per RAW, weighs 1.8 lbs.). Obviously I'm going to be talking with the DM, especially since I want to use spells that summon jelly. And honestly, this is a character who uses jelly to fight while riding on colossal crossbow bolts. I just want this character to carry his weight in combat while being funny. I like the idea, so what if it turns a cantrip into something more useful than it was meant to?

And now I've rambled past the point of a recognizable argument, damn.

Ascension
2008-07-28, 08:30 PM
Enchanting your colossal crossbow bolts would be a good idea, and it would be affordable too, since you can enchant them 50 at a time as ammunition. A lot of extradimensional storage is pretty much a must here, too, or maybe you could carry them around on a Tenser's Floating Disk.

If this cantrip is going to be your main attack spell, I suggest that you go heavy on battlefield control and debuffing with the rest of your spells known. It's even better when you can fling giant crossbow bolts at blind or immobilized or strength-drained people.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-07-28, 08:48 PM
Enchanting your colossal crossbow bolts would be a good idea, and it would be affordable too, since you can enchant them 50 at a time as ammunition. A lot of extradimensional storage is pretty much a must here, too, or maybe you could carry them around on a Tenser's Floating Disk.Open a Portable Hole on a Tenser's Floating Disk. No more having to spend a round getting it open. If your DM protests, build a box of dirt the same size and shape as a TFD, then put the hole on that, and that on the disk.

de-trick
2008-07-28, 10:56 PM
Open a Portable Hole on a Tenser's Floating Disk. No more having to spend a round getting it open. If your DM protests, build a box of dirt the same size and shape as a TFD, then put the hole on that, and that on the disk.

im pretty sure if a DM would allow you to fling a colossal crossbow bolt, he would not really care about the portable hole

Curmudgeon
2008-07-29, 05:18 PM
Open a Portable Hole on a Tenser's Floating Disk. No more having to spend a round getting it open. If your DM protests, build a box of dirt the same size and shape as a TFD, then put the hole on that, and that on the disk. Your DM should still protest, because it just won't fit:
Tenser's Floating Disk: Creates 3-ft.-diameter horizontal disk that holds 100 lb./level.
Portable Hole

A portable hole is a circle of cloth spun from the webs of a phase spider interwoven with strands of ether and beams of starlight. When opened fully, a portable hole is 6 feet in diameter, but it can be folded up to be as small as a pocket handkerchief. When spread upon any surface, it causes an extradimensional space 10 feet deep to come into being. You can fold it up small, but it's closed then. To spread it out in order to open it fully you need a 6' diameter surface.

Bryn
2008-07-29, 05:56 PM
Open a Portable Hole on a Tenser's Floating Disk. No more having to spend a round getting it open. If your DM protests, build a box of dirt the same size and shape as a TFD, then put the hole on that, and that on the disk.

Funnily enough, I wrote a guide on this subject (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35035) last year. Rather more complicated, though, and I got the diameter of a Floating Disc wrong. Still, if anyone wants some pointless elaboration (with added numbers!), well, there it is.