PDA

View Full Version : Your worst moment of shame...

SolkaTruesilver
2008-07-28, 05:44 AM
I..

Okay. Let's begin at the beginning. This thread is to relate what you think has been your.. slowliest thinking ever. Like, if it took you 10 years to get a pun..

Mine:

In Spaceball. I just (moments ago) understood that Pizza the Hutt's name was a pun on Pizza Hut.. help me..

Emperor Ing
2008-07-28, 05:59 AM
Mine:

In Spaceball. I just (moments ago) understood that Pizza the Hutt's name was a pun on Pizza Hut.. help me..

...Is it okay if I point and laugh at you hysterically?

SolkaTruesilver
2008-07-28, 06:06 AM
...Is it okay if I point and laugh at you hysterically?

I though it was the point :smallredface:

But to my defence, I first saw the movie in french, and only watched it in english about 3 years ago. Still, it's horrible, I agree...

Emperor Ing
2008-07-28, 06:14 AM
Ironic, actually. I heard that name a long time before I saw the movie, and I recognized it immediately. Probably because I am a dirty corporate american. :smalltongue:

SolkaTruesilver
2008-07-28, 06:21 AM
Yes

Yes you are. That explains it all!

Emperor Ing
2008-07-28, 06:28 AM
*points at and laughs hysterically* :tongue:

Probably worst moment of shame was sitting throught the movie Seabiscuit. I understand it was a popular movie, but I hated it. :smallyuk:

Tirian
2008-07-28, 06:50 AM
I remember being in an uncomfortably large crowd of people when it finally dawned on me after a few decades why a superhero named Letterman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JrYAV1c6Cg&feature=related) would derive his powers from ripping letters off of a varsity sweater. So I exclaimed "OH!" in a loud pleased voice and then had to explain what was so illuminating to me.

It would be several more years before I understood the riddle "How do you get down from an elephant?" but as fate would have it I was alone at the time.

Stormpax
2008-08-01, 01:35 AM
How do you get down from an elephant?:smallconfused:
I'm such a noob at life.

Jayngfet
2008-08-01, 01:41 AM
It took me a while to get "nobody has hurt me!" from the oddesy. I remember stopping months later in summer camp and going oooh.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-01, 01:47 AM
There is an old nursery rime that I was told ever since I was a baby.

Horsey Horsey don't you stop
Just let your feet go clipety clop
The tail goes swish and the wheels go round
Giddy up we're homeward bound.

At age 17, I worked out why this horse seemed to have wheels.

obvious pun
2008-08-01, 09:18 PM
I once bought the book of bunny suicides, not realizing until i was halfway through it that it was about bunnies committing suicide.

Querzis
2008-08-01, 10:45 PM
I think I just had it after reading Obvious pun signature. I'm french so when I read: “Parley” is the French word for “everyone else is flat-footed and bare-handed”. I just thought «what the? parley is not a french word.»

And then I read the english definition of parley...good one.

Mr. Scaly
2008-08-01, 10:56 PM
The one that most readily comes to mind is how I didn't realise that Bibido, Babidi and Buu from Dragonball Z were a pun on bippity boppity boo until my mom pointed it out...

Tirian
2008-08-01, 11:22 PM
How do you get down from an elephant?:smallconfused:
I'm such a noob at life.

In case you are actually asking....

You don't, you get down from a goose.

You know, down (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_feather).

H. Zee
2008-08-02, 12:55 AM
There's a line in an episode of Avatar where Azula calls the Kyoshi warriors - who use fans as weapons - 'the Avatar's fangirls.'

I didn't get it until, like, three days after watching.

Which is made even worse by Ty Lee, one of the other characters, getting portrayed as ditzy for not getting it until after a few minutes.

EvilElitest
2008-08-02, 12:59 AM
Yes

Yes you are. That explains it all!

so your a communist. You are aren't you?

Mine, um, i laughed at the end of Rent. Laugh myself to tears and coughing up blood.
from
EE

Sneak
2008-08-02, 01:02 AM

Ohhhhhhhhh...

I've heard that joke before...and I only just understood it after reading that. And now I feel like a complete idiot.

Tirian
2008-08-02, 01:56 AM
Ohhhhhhhhh...

I've heard that joke before...and I only just understood it after reading that. And now I feel like a complete idiot.

My work here is done.

Meltemi
2008-08-05, 12:55 PM

Is it bad that I read that joke exactly backwards?
"Wait, elephants don't have down...oh, wait, you just jump off." ^_^

Prophaniti
2008-08-05, 01:26 PM
It was about 5 years after first watching Montey Python and the Holy Grail movie that I figured out what he was saying when he called them 'daffy english k-n-i-g-i-t-s'.... Yeah...

Fri
2008-08-05, 01:38 PM
... I only justunderstood the elephant joke a few seconds ago. Not right after reading the explanation, mind you, but a few days after that.

Mr. Scaly
2008-08-05, 07:38 PM
I'm addicted to Dragonlance and have no intention of changing my ways.

Jae
2008-08-06, 12:10 AM
you guys i still dont understand the elephant joke :smallfrown:

I once bought the book of bunny suicides, not realizing until i was halfway through it that it was about bunnies committing suicide
hahahaha I think this one is only so funny because I own the book and it seems painfully obvious. (for the record, im not entirely sick, a best friend gave it to me on christmas and i just happen to find it amusing..)

The one that most readily comes to mind is how I didn't realise that Bibido, Babidi and Buu from Dragonball Z were a pun on bippity boppity boo until my mom pointed it out...
OMG IT IS!!!!
uhmm lol i used to be thoroughly obsessed with dbz and all of my fav episodes were from the buu-era && i watched them a million times over so this is a shocker to me

As for me, re-watching some Animaniacs stuff I realized about a million things I didnt get as a child. also they are all v inappropriate
*stop playing with my bust!
*do you swear? well, you shouldnt. its not nice. (my fav btw i was rolllling)
*pianist
*thats okay, we can see it from here
*we'd love to give you the bird but the fox censors wont allow it
*not unless you want us to
all which can be found heeeeerrrrrreeeee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsBq_K1WLsE)

Freshmeat
2008-08-06, 12:40 AM
I watched the movie The Number 23 not too long ago, which is about a man who sees the titular number everywhere and believes it to be a conspiracy.

So as the movie starts I start pointing out number plates and door numbers in the background which, when added up or substracted, always formed 23. I was particularly proud of the moment when
the dog appeared, and I figured out 'the trick' behind it in a mere 5 seconds or so.

But then, tragedy struck! The name Topsy Kretts was mentioned.
I was like: "What a goofy name! Topsy! There has got to be some trick to that!"

I urge you to read that again. Can you spot the clue?
Somehow, I didn't.

Instead, I started pulling out a whole bag of tricks, trying to analyze it up and down. For the rest of the movie I was thinking about it, only to discover that:
Topsy Kretts = Top Secrets
Obviously!
Total. Facepalm. Moment.

Eldan
2008-08-06, 02:38 AM
It was about 5 years after first watching Montey Python and the Holy Grail movie that I figured out what he was saying when he called them 'daffy english k-n-i-g-i-t-s'.... Yeah...

Hmm? Isn't "Knigits" just some english swearwords I don't know? I still don't get it.

Tirian
2008-08-06, 04:14 AM
Hmm? Isn't "Knigits" just some english swearwords I don't know? I still don't get it.

The joke is that a Frenchman wouldn't know how to pronounce "knights".

Burrito
2008-08-06, 04:21 AM

Instead of pronouncing knights the way it should sound, (like nites), he is pronouncing it phonetically (k-nig-hts)

Mr. Scaly
2008-08-06, 07:59 AM
OMG IT IS!!!!
uhmm lol i used to be thoroughly obsessed with dbz and all of my fav episodes were from the buu-era && i watched them a million times over so this is a shocker to me

I STILL love Dragonball Z and it's one of my favourite animes of all time. Beat that one. ^^

SurlySeraph
2008-08-06, 11:29 AM

I didn't figure that out until my sister explained it to me, about 6 years after I first watched it.

Karaswanton
2008-08-06, 03:53 PM
On the elephant joke:
You climb down the trunk.

Atomsized
2008-08-06, 07:20 PM
Ummmm, ok, well, i always mispronunciate and not say words very clear, and some words can prove embarrassing when you make that kind of mistake. For example:

Ra-pier <- Sword/fencing foil. I used to say it as rape-er until one of my friends told me wide eyed and laughing his face off how to say it right.

Oh, and i didn't know what the Macarena was until i was 11.

Quincunx
2008-08-07, 05:22 AM
You missed the best one, Jae! The interpretation of A Midsummer's Night Dream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i8unA3hBdU) "translated for those viewers who, like Yakko, have no idea what he's saying".

Now, part of the humor is that they mostly played it straight, repeating each line in clear modern English when necessary, and when not. . .

" 'And, as I am an honest Puck. . .' "
"I'm not touchin' that one."

averagejoe
2008-08-07, 10:51 AM
Mine, um, i laughed at the end of Rent. Laugh myself to tears and coughing up blood.
from
EE

Well, to be fair, I, along with the people I was watching it with, laughed at the end of that movie too. I mean, the end is pretty silly. She's saved by the power of love for chrissake. And... she saw Angel there. Made of prime gouda.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-07, 10:58 AM
My most embarassing moment was being born a member of the human race.

evisiron
2008-08-07, 06:07 PM

My girlfriend had to point that one out to me, and I have seen the movie sooo many times...

Although on her side one night she attacked me with a pillow for not doing something (she never said what it was), and I said "Ah! Just tell me what you want me to do!!" "OBEY MY ORDERS" Whack!
I cracked up for about 5 minutes, and she couldn't see why. It was about 24 hours on the dot when she went "Ohhh..." and also cracked up.
Just to clarify, I was never given an order other than to obey her orders. :smallbiggrin:

evisiron
2008-08-07, 06:10 PM
My most embarassing moment was being born a member of the human race.

Hey, try to tone down the racism on the forums, okay?
Some of us are humans you know!

Yeah, I know, I know, 'species'...

Revlid
2008-08-08, 06:04 AM
My girlfriend had to point that one out to me, and I have seen the movie sooo many times...

I still don't get it, actually.

My worst moment of shame was, as a young(er) 'un, being convinced by a friend that he had his own fridge, separate from the main family one (hey, he was rich, I believed him). His dad walked in as I was eating some leftover cold pizza. Eesh.

Helanna
2008-08-08, 10:44 AM
Well I don't have Moments of Shame too often, and when I do I'm usually fast enough to cover it up. Like this:

Friend: "Did you get that?"
Me: "Get what?"
Friend: "Um, when *explains joke*"
Me: "Yeah, totally! Ha ha, funny."

But my sister and her friend . . . oh dear lord. We told her friend the "Why was 6 afraid of 7?" joke. She'd never heard it and she totally did not get the answer (Because 7 "eight" 9!). It took her ages to finally figure it out . . .

And my sister isn't much better. After she finally figures out a joke she usually goes around repeating it incessantly for the next month. Her absolute favorite was "What goes ha-ha-ha *THUMP*?"

(Answer: A man laughing his head off.) It took her forever.

Also my sister, upon me telling her than if you say "gullible" slowly enough, it sounds like "orange", sat there mouthing "gullible" for a minute until I noticed she actually fell for it and burst out laughing at her.

Various
2008-08-08, 07:55 PM
Wondering why everyone in the school I went to had decided I was a nerd despite being tall, decent at sports, funny, and I've been told good-looking. I would wonder this, sitting in class, as I was reading fantasy books like the Dragonlance series right in front of everyone.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-10, 12:05 AM
Wondering why everyone in the school I went to had decided I was a nerd despite being tall, decent at sports, funny, and I've been told good-looking. I would wonder this, sitting in class, as I was reading fantasy books like the Dragonlance series right in front of everyone.

I have to admit I am as puzzled as you. Now, was there anything you did or said that could have been a giveaway?