PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Dwarven re-build/train(tomb of battle)

DizzyD
2008-07-28, 07:08 AM
I'm playing a Dwarven Fighter in a Dawnforge game on fridays. The character is built as a meat shield(because thats what the party needed) so he's kinda boring. I talked to my DM about making a new character but he said he would rather me rebuild the dwarf which is fine by me. He suggested the Warblade in the tomb of battle. I'm not to familiar with the book of nine swords but i do know the jist of it. I'm looking for some tips on making a warblade character, Focusing as a defender, but hopefully a character who will be a little more fun to play(not someone who just stands there and takes the hits).

A little background. We were warped over 2000 miles away to a un inhabited wild jungle after winning this carnival fun house thing. we made it to the only settlement, a port city on the north eastern part of the continent, Now we are sailing back home.

Stats are

I think it was point-by so i can probably change a few stats but I'd have to double check with the GM.

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-28, 09:08 AM
I'm curious. Do you know the difference between tomb and tome?

All nit-picking aside, it is my opinion that the crusader class is better for a defender than the warblade. I nearly solo'd World's Largest Dungeon with one.

Also, are those stats in the traditional or modern order? Str/Int/Wis/Dex/Con/Cha or Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha?

IMO, the single most important thing you want to do is hit. You will usually only get one attack each round, so missing sucks a lot more. If you are a Warblade, definitely take the manuever that lets you re-roll a failed attack roll.

Arbitrarity
2008-07-28, 09:12 AM
Not bad. Warblades appreciate a bit of intelligence, but not having much INT isn't bad.

What level character are we talking about?

Some good manuver choices for a warblade "tanking" include Iron Heart Surge (Good manuver choice anywhere, recover from most status effects), Iron Heart Endurance (Health back never hurts, especially as a swift action), Wall of Blades (Deflect touch attacks? Very handy), ummm....

Other than those defensive abilities, you need to define a character role. What does your fighter do? As a dwarf, he sounds suited for Stone Dragon discipline, the art of standing still, taking hits, and smashing people.

Crusader is probably a better tank choice. Manuvers like Revitalizing strike let you heal yourself, or allies, and Steely Resolve makes it somewhat beneficial to let enemies hit you.

DizzyD
2008-07-28, 11:06 AM
I'm curious. Do you know the difference between tomb and tome?

All nit-picking aside, it is my opinion that the crusader class is better for a defender than the warblade. I nearly solo'd World's Largest Dungeon with one.

Also, are those stats in the traditional or modern order? Str/Int/Wis/Dex/Con/Cha or Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha?

IMO, the single most important thing you want to do is hit. You will usually only get one attack each round, so missing sucks a lot more. If you are a Warblade, definitely take the manuever that lets you re-roll a failed attack roll.

I do know the difference, My fingures get the best of me sometimes. Seeing as how its 3.5 I was using the "Traditional" method of Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha.

Its a Level 5 Character.

And thanks so far for the advice, keep it coming.

Arbitrarity
2008-07-28, 09:23 PM
Level 5? I still say crusader.

Dwarven Crusader, feats:

1: Extra Granted Manuver
3: Stone Power

Stats can stay the same. Full Plate, and shield/weapon, or two handed weapon. Personal choice. If you use a shield, get Shield Counter instead of Tactical Strike.

Manuvers:

1: Vanguard Strike
1: Crusader's Strike
1: Douse the Flames
1: Stone Bones
3: Tactical Strike/Shield Counter
4: Mountain Hammer
5: Revitalizing Strike

Stances:
1: Martial Spirit
2: Iron Guard's Glare

Generally, Martial Spirit Stance, ready Revitalizing Strike, Mountain Hammer, Shield Counter/Vanguard Strike, Stone Bones, and Crusader's Strike.
Iron Guard's Glare help you stop people from attacking allies, Martial Spirit helps you heal. Mountain Hammer is for offense, Stone Bones for defense, Crusader's Strike and Revitalizing Strike for healing, and shield counter is for defending allies, vanguard Strike for buffing allies. Douse the flames helps your allies move sometimes, but it rarely gets much use.

Burley
2008-07-29, 08:00 AM
I'm the DM for this game, and I just wanna say: Thanks to everybody who helped. ToB is still kinda out there for me. I suggested Warblade, because on this board, it seems like Crusader loses out to the other two. But, from the build presented just above, this would be a great character for DizzyD, and would definately give him an extra handful of things to do, like the other players.

Arbitrarity
2008-07-29, 10:26 AM
I recall Crusader recovery mechanic is preferred to Warblade, because it uses no actions.
That build starts a fight with 3/5 manuvers, and slowly adds the other two over 2 rounds. Then it resets. Essentially, all manuvers are recovered every 3 rounds.

Vexxation
2008-07-29, 11:43 AM
I recall Crusader recovery mechanic is preferred to Warblade, because it uses no actions.
That build starts a fight with 3/5 manuvers, and slowly adds the other two over 2 rounds. Then it resets. Essentially, all manuvers are recovered every 3 rounds.

But can't a Warblade get all his maneuvers back by just hitting something?
I mean, it's not like he wouldn't make the occasional normal "finish him off" attack anyway.

Ascension
2008-07-29, 03:11 PM
But can't a Warblade get all his maneuvers back by just hitting something?
I mean, it's not like he wouldn't make the occasional normal "finish him off" attack anyway.

It's the swordsage that has the crappy recovery method... a full round of nothing in exchange for getting a single maneuver back.

On the other hand, swordsages have more maneuvers known and readied than the other two, so they don't run out as fast in the first place.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-07-29, 08:51 PM
I realize the Crusader can flip through all his maneuvers effectively, but I still don't like the randomness it has in assigning maneuvers to begin with. Warblades still make darn good tanks. Maybe they don't have the built in healbot, but they're still pretty good at dishing it out as well as taking it.

If you're wanting pure defense, a 'meat shield', then crusader is better. If you want battlefield control with a lot of damage output plus the ability to eat damage and avoid it, be a Warblade.

DizzyD
2008-08-07, 09:17 AM
Well there are some pretty decent Suggestions here. especially for the Crusader. Any suggestions on the warblade you speak of?

Eldariel
2008-08-07, 01:58 PM
Warblade with small Crusader-dip for Thicket of Blades is a very solid option for controlling the battlefield (if using a reach weapon). Also, some schools, most notably White Raven and Diamond Mind, offer maneuvers to debuff the opposition.

Covered In Bees
2008-08-07, 02:03 PM
I'm the DM for this game, and I just wanna say: Thanks to everybody who helped. ToB is still kinda out there for me. I suggested Warblade, because on this board, it seems like Crusader loses out to the other two.

Don't be fooled: the Crusader is actually consistently the strongest of the ToB classes.

Eldariel
2008-08-07, 02:25 PM
I don't know, Crusader is best for a tank, but they notably lack Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind - two of the strongest offensive schools in the book, so Crusaders aren't up there in damage potential. Also, Crusader's recovery method becomes the stronger, the longer the fight goes, but the Warblade and the Swordsage are stronger on the first turns, and they don't need to pick redundant maneuvers to avoid being denied some type of a move at the start of an encounter.

Also, Warblade isn't much worse off than Crusader in long fights if it has picked up Pounce from Barbarian (or just happens to be in a position to make a full attack), as just plain attack, as long as the Crusader has Power Attack, is going to be plenty effective, and that allows them to recover without much issues.

Finally, Crusader lacks the Diamond Mind save-counters, so while they have the ability to reroll saves, they tend to be the worst off vs. spells. So it all evens out pretty well (although in straight combat, Swordsage is obviously weaker than Crusader or Warblade due to lower BAB and HD - that's evened out by the huge number of maneuvers they learn and the skillpoints, giving them e.g. sneaking-based advantages and much greater versatility than the other classes in return; as long as they pick up Adaptive Style, they're on the same line).