PDA

View Full Version : Characters you've always wanted to play, but were too afraid to ask about

mistformsquirrl
2008-07-28, 09:45 AM
So I was thinking today, about characters I've really wanted to play; but haven't had the guts to play for some reason or other. Some are because they'd be embarrassing to roleplay (sadly I'm easily embarrassed) - others simply for fear of rejection, either by the party or by the DM.

So I figure, what the heck? Maybe if I put my thoughts out there, and others add their ideas, it'll be worth it to try at some point >.>

Anyway, here's the 2 BIG ones:

1st - I really want to play an Awakened animal companion or just a sentient animal of some sort. I admit, I'm not 100% sure how to do an advance scheme for them (It could be as simple as using Animal HD advances for levels, or perhaps I'd take class levels as normal?) but regardless of the crunch, I think it'd be really neat.

Partly because you'd be tied very closely with another member of the party in a non-romantic way; and partly because of some of the interesting roleplay situations that might crop up.

For example, when you enter a town, guards asking the party that they leave their "pet" outside. You, the character, then speak up for yourself "Hey buddy, I'm not anyone's 'pet' thank you very much!" Totally freaking the guard out.

Or talking to animals of your species and relating to their social dynamics (if they have any), perhaps getting your party involved in unusual adventures, like helping a wolfpack re-establish its territory after some variety of unnatural monster has taken it over. (Say... Displacer Beasts)

It'd require some good roleplaying, but I think it could be a lot of fun.

I could also see roleplaying a mount of some variety, although probably not a warhorse - something more interesting; like perhaps a hippogriff or a dire wolf.

Like I said - its kinda odd; but I think its potentially interesting.

2) Although I'm male in RL, I often play female characters (hardly exclusively mind you, its just common for me to do so). I've also found I enjoy playing a particular anime trope - the hilarious lecher - quite a bit.

So I had this thought - I've played a few male lechers, which have been pretty damned funny when done right <,< (particularly a samurai I had for awhile; never pinch the royal buttocks! <;_;> Its a bad idea); its also been interesting because in more serious moments, these characters have done quite well on the romantic front, a couple even fell in love for real and stopped being 'just pervs'.

Needless to say, properly roleplayed its a theme I find kinda fun. But being the sort that likes to 'turn things on their heads' - I wanted to try a female lech for once. However it makes me frakking nervous to even ask a DM about it, for risk of being thought well, weird. I don't mean in a good way either.

I *think* I could pull it off right; I'd have to be careful with it though, but done right, again, could end up with a fun and very memorable character; especially as they mature.

Anyway, both of those are characters I'd like to give a shot eventually, but have been too nervous to try >.>

What about you all? Any ideas you've had that you've never gotten around to playing for fear of rejection?

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-28, 09:58 AM
With me, its more that I have lots more character concepts than games to play them in. The most out there one I'd have to say is my half-celestial mind flayer paladin.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-07-28, 10:06 AM
For the second one, you just have to do it with a group you've been with for a while that knows your quirks. They'll understand.

For myself, I have an (undeserved) reputation with one of my groups for playing mostly femles, which I get ragged about. So I only create male characters for those campaigns now. Which is fine, but I have a great character concept that requires DnD and me being a female, and that's the only group thats started new D&D campaigns recently. I want my 12-year old Malkonverter, dammit.

Another_Poet
2008-07-28, 02:26 PM
The one I've always wanted to play but have no hope of getting in a real game is a sentient, animated tower ballista.

A tower ballista is essentially a siege tower with a ballista built into the front wall of every floor. I figured I'd like to be a 5-story animated Tower Ballista, with traps on the only doors in at the top and bottom and on each level inside so that enemies can't just hop inside me. I'd want to be a straight Fighter (or Monk maybe, if the DM would count the ballistas as my "natural weapons"). Of course I'd have the rapid reload feat so I could fire every ballista every round.

I'd be a jovial character, very easygoing, preferrably with a high Int and a love of strategy. Of course, proposing such a character seems like a ridiculous power play and how is any serious group of PC's going to hook up with this guy anyway? Besides, he wouldn't fit into most dungeons. Maybe someday I can play it in a one-shot...

*hopeful shrug*

ap

Chronicled
2008-07-28, 02:35 PM
The one I've always wanted to play but have no hope of getting in a real game is a sentient, animated tower ballista.

That would be pretty awesome. It could be like Earthbound's Dungeon Man:

http://ebipm.net/sebs/mother2/sprites/dungeonman.gif
http://starmen.net/mother2/images/official/conceptart/ab_brickroad.jpg

mistformsquirrl
2008-07-28, 02:36 PM
As strange as it is, I actually think that's kind of a cool idea <o.@> Especially if you were in a war campaign. On the one hand, you'd positively dominate the battlefield. On the other, you have a giant "Hit me with fire" sign on you.

skeeter_dan
2008-07-28, 06:02 PM
I can definitely relate to wanting to play an awakened animal companion. Or heck, just a regular awakened animal. The logistics scare me as well as the potential silliness, but I would love to play an awakened badger druid or something similar.

Chronicled
2008-07-28, 06:07 PM
I can definitely relate to wanting to play an awakened animal companion. Or heck, just a regular awakened animal. The logistics scare me as well as the potential silliness, but I would love to play an awakened badger druid or something similar.

After seeing the idea for a ferret healer in someone's sig, I added an awakened ferret sorcerer named Bandit to a 3-person party to fill in their holes. She stayed asleep around someone's neck most of the time, and was one of the most loved characters in the campaign (the Knight especially loved being able to count on an Enlarge Person during most fights... unless he didn't wake Bandit up beforehand...). Good times.

LoneStarNorth
2008-07-28, 06:23 PM
I made a race (template actually) for my campaign setting that is specifically a talking animal that follows another party member around. I never got to try one, but I'm going to use them for a villain or two in the future.

I also suffer from too many ideas, not enough games. I almost always end up as DM. One of my more bizarre ideas was a lantern archon barbarian, possibly frenzied berserker. He would very gently preach the benefits of a life of kindness and generosity, but would completely freak out whenever he witnessed an act of outright evil. I imagined my little glowing ball of light emitting a high-pitched shriek of rage before ramming repeatedly into an offender's face. If they have a strength score, they should have an unarmed attack, right? Yes, it would be a sub-optimal build, but totally, totally worth it.

That, or a triple gestalt character. Three classes. Wizard/Warlock/Monk. Fun.

Kaje
2008-07-28, 06:28 PM
I've always been intrigued with the idea of an atheist Paladin, and now with 4e this is actually possible!

Nerd-o-rama
2008-07-28, 06:31 PM
Don't we have a thread exactly like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85952) already?

EndlessWrath
2008-07-28, 06:56 PM
Nah. this is a thread thats based on the idea of you choosing not to play these characters where as the thread you pointed out is more of the DM not letting you play that character.

as for me. I have yet to play a Sorcerer's House-Cat familiar or a Child. I also have yet to play a fallen angel which is one character idea I'd love doing

Chronicled
2008-07-28, 07:00 PM
Nah. this is a thread thats based on the idea of you choosing not to play these characters where as the thread you pointed out is more of the DM not letting you play that character.

as for me. I have yet to play a Sorcerer's House-Cat familiar or a Child. I also have yet to play a fallen angel which is one character idea I'd love doing

No, this thread is about characters that you were "too afraid to ask about." For instance, what's stopping you from asking to play a fallen angel? There's nothing about it that would get you odd looks from the DM/party (or if there is, there's probably a story behind it). Your examples probably belong in the other thread.

blackout
2008-07-28, 07:03 PM
The classic schemer, who screws over the party at the WORSE possible time, and ends up in a position of nigh-infinite power as a direct result....who happens to be a Drow Soulknife.

EndlessWrath
2008-07-28, 07:03 PM
Every campaign I've been in has either been "play base races" or very mortal based. Fallen angels being celestial and nigh demi gods is out of the question in my mind and makes me think I would be quickly rejected if I brought up the notion. Rejection make me afraid to ask.

2) I think no DM would ever let me play the House Cat familiar or the cute child, hence another quick rejection, which leads to another me afraid of asking.

just cause i didn't say "I'm afraid to ask about" doesn't mean I'm out of line posting on the board. I have to respectfully disagree with you Chronicled.

KillianHawkeye
2008-07-28, 07:09 PM
I played in an awakened animal campaign once (back in 3.0). It was pretty... uh... let's say interesting. My character was a half-celestial house cat (very reminicent of the baby dragons from the Lunar series) who was a Paladin. She had called armor so she could put it on instantly, but then she needed help taking it off again. I got a lot of weird looks from NPCs when they realized the talking, flying cat was wearing a holy symbol around it's neck. :smallcool:

TheCountAlucard
2008-07-28, 07:11 PM
I can definitely relate to wanting to play an awakened animal companion.
A friend once played an awakened cat with levels in Druid. I played a human Paladin. Made for some very odd RP situations.

DM: The man frowns. "Things sure have gotten strange at the temple of Heironeous."
Friend: "Interesting... anything else?"
DM: "No."
Me: Uhh, aren't you forgetting something?"
DM: Oh, yeah. "Holy s---, a talking cat!"

Chronicled
2008-07-28, 07:13 PM
Every campaign I've been in has either been "play base races" or very mortal based. Fallen angels being celestial and nigh demi gods is out of the question in my mind and makes me think I would be quickly rejected if I brought up the notion. Rejection make me afraid to ask.

2) I think no DM would ever let me play the House Cat familiar or the cute child, hence another quick rejection, which leads to another me afraid of asking.

just cause i didn't say "I'm afraid to ask about" doesn't mean I'm out of line posting on the board. I have to respectfully disagree with you Chronicled.

Well, you posted examples that I'd have no problem allowing into a game I was DMing. I have allowed a player of mine to use the first example (more or less). There are a lot of DMs running Play by Post games that are very tolerant of creative ideas, so I know I'm not alone here. There didn't seem to be any reason for you to be doubting whether you should ask to play a character like that.

Also, I didn't call you out of line for posting on the boards, just pointing out that (until I learned that you've only gamed with more... "traditional"... groups) it seemed like your examples might fit better on another thread.

UserClone
2008-07-28, 07:30 PM
You know, if you guys are into playing as animals, maybe you should try Blue Rose. (http://www.greenronin.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1001&Product_Code=grr1701&Category_Code=MnM_second_edition)

almyki
2008-07-28, 09:00 PM
:sulky sigh: I'm a D&D newb, and as my friends seem to always have something going on on Mondays, I have yet to even be able to get a proper session going yet (I'm... getting there though... slooowly...). However, I do like to scribble different character ideas down for myself in my spare time.

Personally, I always seem to try to inject some form of romance in my characters. I looove romance, fluff, and deep but subtle character relationships. In particular, somewhat similar to what someone else posted, I wanted to make one character of mine a flirtatious lesbian tomboy. I have no problem with roleplaying such a character, but I'd be afraid of making the others uncomfortable (they have nooo problems with homosexuality, but they're all chics, so their characters would be too, so my character would be constantly flirting with them or making suggestive comments).

Oh well, I'm supposed to be DM anyway, so it's not like I can use her anytime soon.

Oh, and there's another character I really liked, but she was blind and apparently that's impossible to play effectively as. It's OK though, I figured as much XD .

<3 ali

Waspinator
2008-07-28, 10:03 PM
A friend once played an awakened cat with levels in Druid. I played a human Paladin. Made for some very odd RP situations.

DM: The man frowns. "Things sure have gotten strange at the temple of Heironeous."
Friend: "Interesting... anything else?"
DM: "No."
Me: Uhh, aren't you forgetting something?"
DM: Oh, yeah. "Holy s---, a talking cat!"

"Don't try to boggle me, mister talking cat. This is Mechanicsburg, you are by no means the strangest thing in this town." (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20070516)

Tallis
2008-07-28, 11:00 PM
I've always wanted to play an evil schemer that manipulates tyhe other party members to get what he wants. He would sacrifice them without hesitation if it would get him closer to his goal. Unfortunately this only works if the rest of the group doesn't know I'm doing it and I wouldn't want to screw over the other players without being sure they were okay with it first.

At somwe point I'd also like to play a succubus or incubus. This could be combined with the first idea, but doesn't have to be. I haven't played in a game that's been high powered enough to allow this in several years.

Vexxation
2008-07-28, 11:34 PM
At somwe point I'd also like to play a succubus or incubus. This could be combined with the first idea, but doesn't have to be. I haven't played in a game that's been high powered enough to allow this in several years.

Succubus Paladin of Tyranny.

You know you want to.

Irreverent Fool
2008-07-28, 11:57 PM
For awhile now, I've been wanting to play a tiny creature with Warblade levels who specialized in Diamond Mind maneuvers, specifically Insightful Strike.

Insightful Strike deals damage equal to the result of a Concentration check. Greater Insightful Strike deals double the result of this check.

I have a Warblade who recently was Polymorphed into a rat in order to sneak into an enemy stronghold. There was a conflict and at some point I realized that I was fully capable of using my readied maneuvers while in rat form. 1d20+20 damage from a rat bite can be pretty unnerving.

A tiny creature with a reach weapon has a 5' reach, right?

I'm afraid to ask about it because we've had enough trouble with small-sized creatures mucking things up (read: halfling rogues). I don't want to inspire more hatred of diminutive critters.

tyckspoon
2008-07-29, 12:15 AM
A tiny creature with a reach weapon has a 5' reach, right?

RAW? No. All Tiny or smaller creatures have 0 reach, and a reach weapon just doubles your natural reach.. so 0 x 2 gets you nothing. If you want to make a Tiny melee character work with the RAW, you need to get really good at avoiding AoOs. Recommend pumping Tumble. And probably taking Weapon Finesse.

Rei_Jin
2008-07-29, 12:31 AM
Well, in regards to the awakened animal idea, I've done that one, and it was here, on these very boards.

I played an awakened Monkey Bard, who joined forces with several other awakened creatures to escape the tower of the wizard where we had been "created", for want of a better word.

Good times

Hal
2008-07-29, 12:34 AM
Either a Warchief from the Miniatures Handbook, or the Dungeon Master (?) from Dungeonscape.

It rather goes against the idea of an adventuring party to have a guy whose specialty is hanging around his complicated home, but it seems like it could be fun if played correctly. Let's say you could only show up every other week. On the off weeks, the DM and the regular party go out adventuring and so forth. On the weeks you show up, the party regroups at your "dungeon" home to fend off counterattacks from whatever groups they pissed off while you were away.

I'd totally play it.

TheCountAlucard
2008-07-29, 01:15 AM

You know you want to.

The racial +16 to Charisma almost makes it worth it to play a character with an ECL of 13 before you even have any class levels... almost.

mistformsquirrl
2008-07-29, 01:55 AM
Well, in regards to the awakened animal idea, I've done that one, and it was here, on these very boards.

I played an awakened Monkey Bard, who joined forces with several other awakened creatures to escape the tower of the wizard where we had been "created", for want of a better word.

Good times

That sounds like a great campaign <O.@>;

Also - it'd be hilarious if you Dominated a human permanently and had him dress as an organ grinder <,<

Totally Guy
2008-07-29, 06:11 AM
The disabled sorceror that is in a coma and his grandson that wheels him about in a chair. When apart they have a character sheet each with barely any abilities or class. When together they are treated as a single character with sorceror levels. Think goblin sappers from warcraft 2 or 3 where 3 goblins were 1 unit.

Leon
2008-07-29, 07:49 AM
A Pseudodragon Dragonfire Adept

Syne
2008-07-29, 07:54 AM
A female. It's not that I never 'asked' about it... I just... always thought I'd play them weird. Urm. Well, not the right kind of 'weird', anyway.

Roderick_BR
2008-07-29, 12:25 PM
For the second one, you just have to do it with a group you've been with for a while that knows your quirks. They'll understand.
True. My party had the tendency of using female characters from time to time. One of the most hilarious one I remember was a friend that played a human female druid. And that player was a pervert to boot.

I dunno about concepts I haven't played. Most of my ideas were already played out once or twice already, though I didn't have the chance to try my vow of poverty monk/paladin :smallbiggrin:

Waspinator
2008-07-29, 08:16 PM
How about a Dwarf from an oppressed mining town who is the sole survivor of a failed revolution?

For some reason, no one thinks Les Mithrilables is a good idea.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-07-29, 08:25 PM
A "good" drow. Total Drizzt-alike, goody-two-shoes, to-the-hilt goodly drow.

Except, actually, though perhaps a renegade with respect to the Underdark, she isn't. Good, I mean. At all. It's a ruse, playing on the shoulders of Eilistaeens and Drizzts everywhere to lure the unwary. Surprise! Evil, wicked, bereft of conscience -- all that and so much more, is she! 'Cause, you know ... drow.

I was always afraid to seriously suggest the idea because if I did it, only the DM could ever know what I was really up to (taking a cliche and turning it and the accompanying expectations on their respective heads), and my fellow players would just spend the game assuming my character is really that trite.

Granted, I'd have the last laugh if it ever came to pass that my character would benefit from betraying them all, and she therefore did so. Suckers!

:smalltongue:

Kiara LeSabre
2008-07-29, 08:31 PM
Also, I've always secretly wanted to explore where that natural kender curiosity could really go.

For example, what if a given kender decided to make alternative ... mating practices an area of interest? Kender bore terribly easily. It would take constant new kinks to keep one like that interested.

Or torture? "Gee, I wonder what would happen it I cut this off!"

Oh, the fun that could be had ...

Vexxation
2008-07-29, 09:00 PM
I've wanted to play a Xanatos' Gambit-style character. Neutral (law/chaos), but Evil to the very core, though working with good people, making him appear good. No aversion to doing good deeds because they are necessary for his master plan:

1) Adventure to gain world-knowledge and connections
2) Level up a lot (In character, this would be "amass power by practicing"
3) Gain access to magical items (adventuring and leveling provides it)
4) Work to thwart any evildoers who would be a foreseeable future problem
5) When the time comes, leave the party he adventures with (ie End of campaign) and move on to hatch his plan to gain power, glory, and attempt at Godhood.

The idea would be that he'd be reluctant to help the little guys (Farmers kidnapped by ogres, for example) but would be willing to help anyone who would provide leverage in the future (mayors, councilmen, Archmages, etc). His mind would always be on the eventual prize, and if he does good with evil intent behind it, it could be interesting. Throw in the occasional "judgment lapse" involving going a little too far in interrogation or mentioning that they could kill the kidnappers *and* the hostages, and you've got a personality.

Later, if I were to DM (unlikely, but hey, you never know) I'd have a pre-made BBEG who other players could remember and reminisce about.

Tallis
2008-07-29, 10:40 PM

You know you want to.

That wasn't the original idea, but now.... yes, yes I do.

Also: A dragon polymorphed into humanoid form. No one else in the party knows. To put an extra twist on it he could actually join a party that is hunting him.

An evil warrior that believes he is good, maybe even a paladin. He fights evil, but goes too far. He believes the ends justify the means. He will sacrifice good people to defeat evil, citing the greater good. He is cruel andfrequently uses torture against prisoners he may take before killing them. He has no mercy.
A related idea is a man who knows he is evil, but believes he is necessary to bring about a better future. A good example of this would be the agent in the movie Serenity.

The Glyphstone
2008-07-29, 11:31 PM
It technically doesn't count, because I actually got to play the character once, but it was in a specific "wierd monster campaign" with ECL thrown out the window to an extent and never went very far:

A hydra, with the more heads the better, and each head having a different personality. Combat-wise, it'd be a Fighter based around AoO fighting, taking full cheesy advantage of the Hydra ability that lets you attack with all your heads on every AoO you recieve, but RP-wise, it'd be a blast trying to create and RP 5+ different "characters" (probably with different voices to differentiate them) - but the other players might get convinced I had some form of MPD in real life...

Thorosofmyr
2008-07-30, 12:52 AM
Although I've played a lot of different concepts, I've always been afraid to play a sexual character. Not mega Book of Erotic Fantasy "sex is my life" character, but one who would, on occasion seek out and enjoy sex. The only thing really holding me back is because I think I would creep people out.

Which is odd, because I've done several characters that have no problem with premeditated murder, torture, etc etc, but I've always shied away from intercourse, even when setting appropriate.

Also, never played a female character. I may on some occasion, but I honestly do not know how it would be different from how I play other characters. It'd make things more interesting, but I've always been baffled on how to change from how I usually play. No clue.

Chronicled
2008-07-30, 10:57 PM
At some point, I think it would be great to make a Monk who takes the ability to make an attack with any part of their body to its inevitable conclusion:

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/beifuss/elvis2.web.jpg

Hail to the King, baby! :smallbiggrin:

mistformsquirrl
2008-07-31, 11:45 AM
@Chronicled <'x'> In a comedy campaign, that would be MADE OF WIN.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-07-31, 11:56 AM
Back in 3.0 I always wanted to play a Minotaur Sorcerer. It wasn't a power build, it was a character thing I wanted to do. I always liked the visual for the minotaurs and doing a less than obvious build seemed fun.

AslanCross
2008-07-31, 04:45 PM
I've always wanted to play an evil schemer that manipulates tyhe other party members to get what he wants. He would sacrifice them without hesitation if it would get him closer to his goal. Unfortunately this only works if the rest of the group doesn't know I'm doing it and I wouldn't want to screw over the other players without being sure they were okay with it first.

A player of mine once tried to do this. She ended up getting the party cornered into a room by hobgoblins. They won the encounter, but things started exploding after that. First it was tempers. Then it was the party itself (fireball).

At some point, I think it would be great to make a Monk who takes the ability to make an attack with any part of their body to its inevitable conclusion:

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/beifuss/elvis2.web.jpg

Hail to the King, baby! :smallbiggrin:

Monk/Shadowdancer. "I use HIPS and then use my hips to deliver a STUNNING BLOW!"

Anyway, one of the strange ideas I came up with way back before I started running my current campaign was of a party of monstrous evil humanoids (and giants) who are being brought into mainstream human society. The party would have at least one ogre, maybe an ogre mage too, and so on. The party leader would be a rather unfortunate paladin who is tasked with mentoring the brutes.

Scenarios that came to mind included a bar fight with the ogre ending up using the tavern door as a shield (and taking it with him for the rest of the campaign).

dyslexicfaser
2008-07-31, 05:06 PM
1: a level 13+ cleric with Transformation domain, and some combination of persisted cleric spells Dragon Breath, Fiery Vision, Holy Star. Transform into Dragon Turtle, instant Godzilla. Unfortunately, getting to play a Huge, 30' long reptile is harder than you might think.

2: In a gestalt game, a totemist//psywar/warmind just to see what a ridiculous blender I could make. Girallon Arms + Heart of Fire + Sphinx Claws incarnum for a pouncing, four-armed guy with fire-claws. You can also add a tail if you play a Diabolus, or a headbutt with the Chimera incarnum, or spines with an Azurin, or maybe you could get up to 6 arms with a Thri'keen, I don't know. PsyWar for Expansion, con damage on your claws, or Vampire claws to heal thyself every time you cut someone up, maybe Claws of Beast to improve your claws, and eventually that sixth level power that gives you DR10 and 4 secondary tentacle attacks. Warmind for Sweeping Strikes to hit two enemies at once with this combo, as long as they're both within reach. You could even hit VoP if you felt like it, since incarnum sort of replace magic items. The horror!

Kiara LeSabre
2008-07-31, 05:29 PM
Monk/Shadowdancer. "I use HIPS and then use my hips to deliver a STUNNING BLOW!"

Epic. You and Chronicled win the thread.