PDA

View Full Version : Artemis Fowl

Szilard
2008-07-28, 10:54 AM
So, I finished the sixth book a couple days ago, read it in a couple hours.

I was wondering what the rest of you peoples thought of the Artemis Fowl series?

Tragic_Comedian
2008-07-28, 11:00 AM
I stopped reading somewhere around the fourth book. He's just dragging i out now. The earlier ones were very good, clever, and original. So are most of Colfer's other books. But no, don't care much for the later ones.

Siosilvar
2008-07-28, 11:15 AM
There are SIX books now? I haven't been to a bookstore in ages.

1 - Artemis Fowl
2 - AF: Arctic Incident
3 - AF: Eternity Code
4 - AF: Opal Deception
5 - The one with the warlocks? Can't remember the title.
6 - ??? Is it out in paperback yet?

Szilard
2008-07-28, 11:21 AM
It's:
AF
AF: Artic Incident
AF: Eternity Code
AF: Opal deception
AF: The Lost Colony
and AF: The Time Paradox.

Time Paradox is out in the US, and is due for August 7th in the UK, not sure about the rest of the world.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-07-28, 11:24 AM
I haven't read past Opal Deception, and I'm not sure if I plan to. If I do, I'll have to get them from the library, because OD was not particularly worthy of purchasing, in my opinion.
Colfer's just milking his cash cow.

Szilard
2008-07-28, 11:31 AM
I forgot to say, that there will be at least one more book in three years.

DraPrime
2008-07-28, 12:38 PM
The series was quite good.The Eternity Code was the best in my opinion, but I really didn't like the fifth book. I haven't even bothered reading the sixth one.

Dragor
2008-07-28, 12:44 PM
I haven't read past Opal Deception, and I'm not sure if I plan to. If I do, I'll have to get them from the library, because OD was not particularly worthy of purchasing, in my opinion.
Colfer's just milking his cash cow.

Opal Deception's actually my favourite. I found most of the jokes hilarious, and the plot premise was good. Kept me hooked.

I agree with you, Dragonprime- Lost Colony didn't interest me at all. It dragged a lot.

I didn't know the 6th Book was due so soon... guess I'd better save up for it. Even though Colfer's milking it, it's still good reading for me. I'm hoping that this book is better than #5.

DraPrime
2008-07-28, 12:46 PM
I think the main reason why the fifth book wasn't so good was because it lacked one of the masterful plans that Artemis does so well.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-07-28, 12:53 PM
I read the first three and then no new ones came out here. I assume our bookchain thought they weren't selling enough of them or something...

Anyways, by the third book it was getting less interesting, so maybe I didn't miss that much.

Verruckt
2008-07-28, 07:39 PM
For me, the fifth fell flat because, as Dragonprime noted, there really wasn't a good master plan subplot that makes Artemis such a Magnificent Bastard. There was one redeeming moment however, the little bastard stole magic. The only human ever to do so, although I'm not sure if that's entirely worth the price of removing him from the coveted Badass Normal club. I just picked up the sixth, and I have to say that if an author needed to come up with a good Deus Ex Machina to pull him out of a rut, there's nothing quite like time travel.

On a side note, I can't help but think that the only reason he worked in time travel was because it allowed him to make some drastic changes to the character, and at the same time included a failsafe if there was general fan uproar. Colfer's probably sitting at his home, sipping cocoa and muttering "Just as Planned" under his breath.

Atomsized
2008-07-28, 08:50 PM
In my opinion, I wouldn't say any in the AF series was particularly bad. The 5th book was a little not as well as the first few, but it was still okay. Just my opinion though.

DraPrime
2008-07-28, 08:54 PM
Well there was one moment of genius from Artemis in the fifth book.
When he saved Holly's life by coordinating his shot just so that it would go back in time and hit that demon at the exact moment he was going to kill Holly.

Szilard
2008-07-28, 09:14 PM
Well there was one moment of genius from Artemis in the fifth book.
When he saved Holly's life by coordinating his shot just so that it would go back in time and hit that demon at the exact moment he was going to kill Holly.

Yeah, that was pretty cool. The scene at the Opera thing was pretty good too.

Anyone else read book 6 yet?

TigerHunter
2008-07-28, 09:29 PM
I love Artemis Fowl. I fell in love with it about 6th grade, and have kept up ever since. Artemis is just too awesome for words--especially the part in the Lost Colony where he gripes about how puberty is distracting him from his latest Xanatos Gambit. I definitely feel that he's moving towards becoming a Marty Stu, but he's fairly well-done and original. It's sort of like the Dresden Files--Harry's incredibly awesome and the most virtuous character in the series, to the point where even his flaws are virtues, but it's still fun to watch him kick ass.

Rockphed
2008-07-28, 09:32 PM
I read the first 3, but couldn't get into the 4th. It was getting somewhat slow at the end of the 3rd book, so I just never read the rest after I came home from the hospital.

Prustan
2008-08-01, 05:09 AM
New Artemis Fowl? Woot! I do agree that 5 needed one of his Masterful Plans, but who cares? Still a great series. And I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

loopy
2008-08-01, 09:01 AM
I have to admit I loved the sheer magnificent bastardry of Artemis Fowl, but I slowly noticed the series going downhill, and quit while I was ahead.

Still, the first three or so books are excellent though.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-01, 08:30 PM
The writing style on 1 was the best, but I thought 3 was the best overall. 5 was pretty terrible, 4 was decent, 2 was a good, but not great book, and 6 was simply awesome.

(And about Eoin's "Just as planned," after seeing him speak at a book store, I can definitely see him doing that. The man himself is a magnificent bastard. "Actually, most of my plots come out of Philip Pullman's recycling bin...")

Eita
2008-08-01, 11:19 PM
I haven't read the 6th book yet, but I still believe that this holds true.

As Artemis gets less evil, the books get less good.

Kaelaroth
2008-08-04, 06:35 PM
I read book six, and really, really liked it. Sorry. The characters are developing, Holly finally has some backstory of note. Admittedly, time travel's a cop-out plotline, but it was carried well.

Copacetic
2008-08-05, 09:28 AM
I like AF for the most part, but the sixth book got a little confusing.

One of the more confusing parts is where we find out that Opal Koboi can shoot Effing Laser Beams! I mean Jeebas! Laser Beams! What the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks have you been smoking, Colfer?

Zephra
2008-08-05, 10:28 AM
The books get a great big Meh. The first book was definitely origional, but the fairies have almost no magic--just technology. And seriously, the way their book 'rhymes'? Argh... I liked the third one, and the fourth, but that's mostely all.

Mr. Scaly
2008-08-05, 07:49 PM
Does Trouble Kelp still make his cameos?

fraud
2008-08-05, 09:41 PM
I dislike how Minerva wasn't even mentioned in this book

Nychta
2008-08-06, 03:26 AM
Originals, yes. Later ones, it sounds like Colfer is trying to drag out the Profit part of his plan.

fraud
2008-08-06, 03:30 AM
yeah. He says unless this one makes a bunch of money he's gonna end the series.:smallfrown:
he also wants to work on a new series

Ashen Lilies
2008-08-06, 07:35 AM
I dislike how Minerva wasn't even mentioned in this book

She isn't? Yes! I always felt the ending to book 5 was just forced to make Artemis and her a designated couple.

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-06, 09:35 AM
The fith one was lousy, but I liked the others. I just hope the sixth on isn't like the last one

Leigh
2008-08-07, 04:59 PM
Aahh, Arty, Arty, Arty.
I for one have been a HUGE fan of the series since about fourth grade, but now even my interests are petering out a little. The first book? Amazing. The second? Even better. The third...is actually one of my favorites in the whole series because of how much I loved the plotline, but the writing and Colfer's style were definitely not too good. The fourth one was okay, again, because the plot was still majorly captivating, but the writing was verging on crappy [pardon my french :smallbiggrin:]. The fifth....just sucked. I liked the twist at the end, and it had me hooked on and thinking about it for months, but everything else about the book was plain pointless. Demons? Minerva? Random...
And, the sixth. I went to the bookstore first thing in the morning, got it and finished it before lunch. It was definitely better than the fifth, but not as good as the earlier books The ending, I loved. It's the perfect way to end the series in my opinion, but I know I'll be depressed if it really is the last book. Oh, I was VERY glad [yet surprised] that Minerva wasn't in this one, but maybe it's just because I want Artemis all to myself...:smalltongue:And now I'm afraid to say anything more in case I give anything away...:smallbiggrin:

Hyozo
2008-08-07, 05:29 PM
Am I the only person who likes The Lost Colony better than The Eternity Code? Maybe it's just that I have a slight preferance of fantasy over sci-fi and those two books are (respectively) the series' extremes on that scale.

Zephra
2008-08-08, 09:15 AM
nah, the eternity code was way, way better. Minerva was cliched, and what, another geinus? Just exactly like Artimis, Spiro, Opal...? Argh. Then there was No1, who was absolutely also a cliche (what, a misfit? who finds his place in the world and learns to stand up to people? Isn't that the plot to Rudolf the red nosed raindeer? Sheesh.) And the cutsey way he talked didn't make me like him better. And did they really have to resort to time travel? There's always a hole in that. I've never read a non paradoxical plot involving time travel, really... And Artimis is magical now..... Arghhh!

[/rant]

Hyozo
2008-08-08, 05:40 PM
nah, the eternity code was way, way better. Minerva was cliched, and what, another geinus? Just exactly like Artimis, Spiro, Opal...? Argh. Then there was No1, who was absolutely also a cliche (what, a misfit? who finds his place in the world and learns to stand up to people? Isn't that the plot to Rudolf the red nosed raindeer? Sheesh.) And the cutsey way he talked didn't make me like him better. And did they really have to resort to time travel? There's always a hole in that. I've never read a non paradoxical plot involving time travel, really... And Artimis is magical now..... Arghhh!

[/rant]

TROPES ARE NOT BAD!!! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreNotBad) Ther is a good reason for the high IQ of most of the series' antagonists and (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheLawOfBruce) EVERY plot has been done before by somebody. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Plots?from=Main.CategoryPlots) I can't help the fact you have a pet peeve trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PetPeeveTrope) but I would like to point out that, despite the title of the sixth book, I haven't noticed any time paradoxes in either of the books to feature time travel.

Also, no Artemis is not magic now, he used up the last of it in the first chapter of The Time Paradox. Besides, the only problem with him gaining magic was that he temporarily stopped qualifying as a badass normal (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassNormal).