PDA

View Full Version : Translating the Funny into DnD terms

Degausser
2008-07-29, 06:59 AM
Looking through the archives, and trying to make sheets for the characters (just for fun, to pass the time.) I have come upon a revalation. Most of the characters in OoTS have abysmal wisdom scores. We know that Elan and Belkar do, (We know Belkar has a minimal wisdom of 10, most likely less), and Elan is proabably not far behind. Roy and Durkon (as well as Redcloak) have decent wisdom scores, and are thus the 'straight men' while most everyone else is lackin in the common sense department.

Xykon's Wisdom (or lack there of) is translated into his attention span of a gnat.

Haley has demonstrated low willpower, finding the lure of money, or even the promise of free stuff irresistable.

V's Arrogance and overly verbose nature can be seen as a failing of low wisdom. He doesn't know when to leave well enough alone, or when to shut up.

Spiryt
2008-07-29, 07:11 AM
(We know Belkar has a minimal wisdom of 10, most likely less).

This statement is a contradiciton.

Aside from that, we know that Belkar have Wis penalty. Strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html)

Degausser
2008-07-29, 07:32 AM
whoops! Stupid English Language, I meant to say he has a MAXIMUM wisdom of ten (because he cannot cast Ranger spells.) Nice catch BTW.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-29, 08:19 AM
Haley has demonstrated low willpower, finding the lure of money, or even the promise of free stuff irresistable..
Thatīs just her being part-dragon.......

Theodoriph
2008-07-29, 10:26 AM
When your father has been imprisoned and you need an exorbitant amount of money to free him, I'd expect someone to be scrounging for every copper piece and be easily lured by promises of money.

Degausser
2008-07-29, 10:31 AM
When your father has been imprisoned and you need an exorbitant amount of money to free him, I'd expect someone to be scrounging for every copper piece and be easily lured by promises of money.

True, but it's not just that. She SHINES her gold. TALKS to it. Additionally, she decided to go with Miko because of the promise of a free hotel room. There was no monitary gain there (She could have slept on the side of the road) but the promise of free was more than she could bear.

Mercenary Pen
2008-07-29, 11:08 AM
True, but it's not just that. She SHINES her gold. TALKS to it. Additionally, she decided to go with Miko because of the promise of a free hotel room. There was no monitary gain there (She could have slept on the side of the road) but the promise of free was more than she could bear.

But we know from her cunning division of wealth among the party after the dungeon of dorukan (the redmountain gate) that she is capable of elaborate ruses. What's to say that the shining of the gold, etc. is not such an elaborate ruse, intended to stop her companions asking questions about why she's hoarding all that gold.

Austran
2008-07-29, 11:10 AM
V's Arrogance and overly verbose nature can be seen as a failing of low wisdom. He doesn't know when to leave well enough alone, or when to shut up.

Actually, I think that V's arrogance is due to his low Charisma score, as mentioned here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0128.html).

Finwe
2008-07-29, 03:39 PM
whoops! Stupid English Language, I meant to say he has a MAXIMUM wisdom of ten (because he cannot cast Ranger spells.) Nice catch BTW.

That's not the half of it. Your original statement is actually grammatically correct, it would just mean 'Belkar's wisdom, being 10, is quite low'

dps
2008-07-31, 11:40 PM
Additionally, she decided to go with Miko because of the promise of a free hotel room. There was no monitary gain there (She could have slept on the side of the road) but the promise of free was more than she could bear.

If you have the choice of staying in a free hotel room, or sleeping by the side of the road, I don't see how taking the free room is a sign of low wisdom.

EndlessWrath
2008-07-31, 11:53 PM
This statement is a contradiciton.

Aside from that, we know that Belkar have Wis penalty. Strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0475.html)

I don't know where your getting this hidden secret "Belkar's Wis penalty"... if you're referring to the -2...

Haley: So take a -2 improvised tools penalty.
Belkar: I have 4 ranks in the skill... every -2 counts!

He doesn't say his full bonus is +4 either. he just says he has 4 ranks in the skill.
I'm still clueless as to why you say he has such a low wisdom score. He doesn't cast ranger spells because he didn't know about them. so his +4 to wisdom that Owl's wisdom spell (V gave it to him earlier) let him cast a Cure serious wounds (3rd level spell). That requires a wisdom score of 13. So his Wisdom score is either a 9 or a 10. most likely a 9 since he doesn't cast 0 level spells.
Remember though... Just because he doesn't cast them doesn't mean he can't. Its possible he's more focused in the barbaric side of himself...that he sees no reason to look at anything but the martial abilities... hell.. he didn't even know he could track people in the beginning comics.

Jade_Tarem
2008-08-01, 12:14 AM
I don't know where your getting this hidden secret "Belkar's Wis penalty"... if you're referring to the -2...

Belkar: I have 4 ranks in the skill... every -2 counts!

He doesn't say his full bonus is +4 either. he just says he has 4 ranks in the skill.
I'm still clueless as to why you say he has such a low wisdom score. He doesn't cast ranger spells because he didn't know about them. so his +4 to wisdom that Owl's wisdom spell (V gave it to him earlier) let him cast a Cure serious wounds (3rd level spell). That requires a wisdom score of 13. So his Wisdom score is either a 9 or a 10. most likely a 9 since he doesn't cast 0 level spells.
Remember though... Just because he doesn't cast them doesn't mean he can't. Its possible he's more focused in the barbaric side of himself...that he sees no reason to look at anything but the martial abilities... hell.. he didn't even know he could track people in the beginning comics.

He (Belkar) has outright stated that he has a penalty due to low wisdom. That means the maximum WIS score for Belkar is 9, not 10, and because that's true he is incapable of casting spells (In fact, with a wisdom score of 10 he would still be unable to cast - read ahead to see why). In order to cast a spell, your primary casting stat (wisdom for rangers) must meet or exceed 10 + the level of the spell. As there are no level 0 ranger spells, let alone level -1 spells, Belkar cannot cast without external magical enhancement. Belkar's wisdom score is one of the most solidly pegged-down ability scores in the story, since it's the most recently referenced one.

Also, the following assumes that the OOTS are all level 13.

A few other things that OOTS characters are proven to possess:

Roy:

Attributes:
High Strength (He can run while carrying Durkon. 'Nuff said).
Decent Mental Stats all around (Word of the Giant)

Feats:
Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave
Weapon Focus (Greatsword)
Weapon Specialization (Greatsword)
7 open, 4 of which must be fighter bonus feats

Skills:
At least one rank in ride.

Haley:

Attributes:
High Dex (At least 17, as that is the requirement for Manyshot)
Probably low strength and con.
Probably high int.
Middling to High Charisma

Feats:
Manyshot
Point Blank Shot (Prereq for Manyshot)
Rapid Shot (Prereq for Manyshot)
3 open

Skills:
Maximum ranks (probably around 16, by this point) in Bluff
At least 8 ranks in Use Rope
Probably Max ranks in Search, Hide, Move Silently, Disable Device, Open Lock
Probably a good number of ranks in tumble as well as other roguish moves

Vaarsuvius

Attributes:
low strength, con
middling dex
high int (at least 18, probably higher now)
middling wisdom and low charisma (Word of the Giant)

Feats:
7 open feats, 2 of which have to be metamagic

Skills:
Probably max ranks in spellcraft, Knowledge (Arcana)

Belkar

Attributes:
middle to high strength, dex, con
low int, 9 wisdom, low charisma

Feats:
Two Weapon Fighting
Endurance
Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Track
Craft (Disturbing Mental Image)
4 open

Skills:
4 ranks gourmet chef
probably some in intimidate
0 in survival
probably 0 in spot

Elan

Attributes:
average strength
middling to high dex
middling con
low, low int
low, low wisdom
at least 18 charisma, possibly more since it was announced early in the comic

Feats:
6 open

Skills:
Probably max ranks in perform (lute) and/or perform (singing)
Probably a good number of ranks in tumble
More than one rank (and consequently, more than 4 skill points) in ride - a cross class skill

Durkon

Attributes:
High Wisdom (At least 17, proabably higher)
Low to middling dexterity
low to middling charisma
middling to high strength
probably high con
decent intelligence

Feats:
5 open

Skills:
Some ranks, but not max ranks, in Knowledge (Religion)

TreesOfDeath
2008-08-01, 07:45 AM
Jade Tarem: Pretty good, although I'm sure Haley has good int and Cha, let down by crappy wise.
Durkon has bad cha, hes emo, unsociable, often hard to get on with (otpcs), but yeah, hes wise. Hes sort of a straight man, he just gets invovled less than roy (possibly because of his lack of force of personality, aka cha).
And mind, Roy's wisdom is SUPPOSED to be good, but trying to take an epic lich on his own? Going along with Nale's obvious trap? What the heck?

Jade_Tarem
2008-08-01, 08:26 AM
Jade Tarem: Pretty good, although I'm sure Haley has good int and Cha, let down by crappy wise.
Durkon has bad cha, hes emo, unsociable, often hard to get on with (otpcs), but yeah, hes wise. Hes sort of a straight man, he just gets invovled less than roy (possibly because of his lack of force of personality, aka cha).
And mind, Roy's wisdom is SUPPOSED to be good, but trying to take an epic lich on his own? Going along with Nale's obvious trap? What the heck?

Fixed the charisma bit for Haley. What I was remembering from the comic was Elan's assertion that she had less charisma than Samantha, but then I remembered that:

a) it's Elan talking, there, and
b) Samantha's Charisma is probably at least 18, since it's her primary casting stat

I didn't take into account the various racial modifiers for attributes (The Dwarf Penalty to Charisma and bonus to Con, the halfling penalty to strength and bonus to dex, and the elf penalty to con and bonus to dex). I'll do that now.

And as for Roy, well, maybe he's just the self-sacrificing type. I dunno. But both Burlew and the deva-girl stated that he has decent wisdom and charisma, and we know he has a decent INT score. In fact, he tends to have pretty solid stats all around.

aapje
2008-08-01, 08:53 AM
Jade Tarem have a look at Class and Lever Geekery (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61354)

Chronos
2008-08-01, 11:10 AM

Belkar: I have 4 ranks in the skill... every -2 counts!The full quote: "I have 4 ranks and an ability score penalty, every -2 counts!!" (my italics). Wisdom is the key ability score for all Profession skills, so that means that if Belkar has an ability score penalty to Profession (Gourmet Cook) checks, he must have a wisdom low enough to grant a penalty instead of a bonus. Which in turn means that his wis is 9 or less.

Jade_Tarem
2008-08-01, 11:17 AM
Jade Tarem have a look at Class and Lever Geekery (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61354)

I thought about just linking to that, but decided to take a shot at it anyway.

Ironwolf172
2008-08-01, 01:26 PM
Looking through the archives, and trying to make sheets for the characters (just for fun, to pass the time.) I have come upon a revalation. Most of the characters in OoTS have abysmal wisdom scores. We know that Elan and Belkar do, (We know Belkar has a minimal wisdom of 10, most likely less), and Elan is proabably not far behind. Roy and Durkon (as well as Redcloak) have decent wisdom scores, and are thus the 'straight men' while most everyone else is lackin in the common sense department.

Xykon's Wisdom (or lack there of) is translated into his attention span of a gnat.

Haley has demonstrated low willpower, finding the lure of money, or even the promise of free stuff irresistable.

Their scores are low for the sake of comedy.

Mina Kobold
2008-08-05, 09:50 AM
what about Elans perform(kazzo) and Roys knowledge(limits of my own sanity) :confused: