PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Question about attacking

Jimp
2008-07-29, 07:42 AM
I just got my 4th edition books but I'm a bit confused about attacking. Is there any full attack or similar action, or is it all single standard action attacks? If it is all just standard action attacks, is there any reason not to use your at will attacks constantly? I have a feeling that I missed a sentence somewhere.

Starsinger
2008-07-29, 07:54 AM
There exists a basic attack which is Strength vs. AC (Dexterity Vs. AC with a ranged weapon) and does 1[w]+Strength (Or 1[W] with a ranged weapon). It's ideally suited for times when something says "You can make a basic attack" like that Warlord at-will or making Opportunity Attacks. But in general, it's a better idea to use an at-will than a basic attack if you may.

Charity
2008-07-29, 07:57 AM
There is a thread stickied at the top of this page for this sort of Q.

and no, there is no full round actions.
Action types-
Standard, move, minor, free and no action. In the case of the first 3, each can be swapped down for a lesser action so you could move twice by swapping your standard action for a move etc.

All opportunity attacks default to basic attacks, and as Starsinger says there are powers that allow them also.
Also you can only make a basic attack at the end of a charge (which is a standard action)

Zocelot
2008-07-29, 11:47 AM
I If it is all just standard action attacks, is there any reason not to use your at will attacks constantly? I have a feeling that I missed a sentence somewhere.

Surprisingly, you can use your at wills whenever you want (at-will)

Yakk
2008-07-29, 12:08 PM
Action types-
Standard, move, minor, free and no action.

You missed interrupt action. You get one interrupt action per turn, which resets at the start of your turn, and can be used during an opponent's turn.

All opportunity attacks default to basic attacks, and as Starsinger says there are powers that allow them also.

*nod*. Note that opportunity actions are yet another kind of action. You can make one opportunity action per opponents turn.

Viruzzo
2008-07-29, 12:09 PM
One last thing: there are feats (at least one: Heavy Blade Opportunist) that allow you to use at-will powers for opportunity attacks. Also, some ranged powers count as basic attacks.
So yes, you will be using at-wills whenever you can, most of the time.

Tengu_temp
2008-07-29, 01:29 PM
Sometimes it's better to charge then use an at-will power. But usually you'll be using at-wills anyway.

Artanis
2008-07-29, 01:43 PM
I just got my 4th edition books but I'm a bit confused about attacking. Is there any full attack or similar action, or is it all single standard action attacks? If it is all just standard action attacks, is there any reason not to use your at will attacks constantly? I have a feeling that I missed a sentence somewhere.
To get to the exact point...

To attack, you use a power that says it's an attack. That's it. It uses whatever action (standard, move, etc.) it says it uses, and it does whatever it says it does.

And yes, your at-wills are designed to be used constantly. The only time you don't want to use an at-will is if you want to do something else with that action (such as use an Encounter power instead of an at-will).

Douglas
2008-07-29, 01:49 PM
The only time you don't want to use an at-will is if you want to do something else with that action (such as use an Encounter power instead of an at-will).
Or when you can't use an at-will, such as for opportunity attacks or when a power gives you a bonus basic attack.

But yes, when you're attacking with your standard action on your turn, your at will attacks are your normal fall-back options.

KillianHawkeye
2008-07-29, 05:08 PM
There exists a basic attack which is Strength vs. AC (Dexterity Vs. AC with a ranged weapon) and does 1[w]+Strength (Or 1[W] with a ranged weapon). It's ideally suited for times when something says "You can make a basic attack" like that Warlord at-will or making Opportunity Attacks. But in general, it's a better idea to use an at-will than a basic attack if you may.

Just to note that Ranged Basic Attack deals 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.

EndlessWrath
2008-07-29, 05:16 PM
I conclude that in 4(e) there is no point in making basic actions when you have powers. Every turn should be using a power... run out of powers? well use at will abilities. Thats why they nerfed Magic Missile. so you can use it every turn

KillianHawkeye
2008-07-29, 07:35 PM
Yeah, Basic Attacks are only for those few times when you can't use a real power (Charging, OAs, etc.). Or if you're fighting really weak guys for some reason and you get bored and decide to throw in a Basic just for spice.

TheOOB
2008-07-29, 08:15 PM
Just about every attack you make is a power, basic melee and basic ranged attacks are powers as well, powers that everybody has. Normally it's better to use one of your class powers instead of a basic attack, but there are many things that only allow basic attacks(such as charging).

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-07-29, 08:30 PM
I conclude that in 4(e) there is no point in making basic actions when you have powers. Every turn should be using a power... run out of powers? well use at will abilities. Thats why they nerfed Magic Missile. so you can use it every turn
Yep. Except, At-Wills ought to be the basic staples, then you add on your powers from there. Using more powers as you level up...

But yeah. At-Wills are tons cooler than basic attacks. I like them.

ColdSepp
2008-07-29, 08:40 PM
Some at wills allow for two attacks as a standard action, such as the rangers Twin Strike.

TheOOB
2008-07-29, 08:50 PM
Note that some of the basic actions, such as charge, bull rush, and grab do useful things that you may not have at-will powers that can replecate.

Colmarr
2008-07-29, 10:52 PM
Just to note that Ranged Basic Attack deals 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.

Unless it's with a heavy thrown weapon, right?

I'll have to double check that when I get home.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-07-29, 10:53 PM
Unless it's with a heavy thrown weapon, right?

I'll have to double check that when I get home.
No, that's right. For a heavy thrown weapon, use STR.

SCPRedMage
2008-07-29, 11:54 PM
You missed interrupt action. You get one interrupt action per turn, which resets at the start of your turn, and can be used during an opponent's turn.
Actually, it's immediate, of which there are two types: interrupt and reaction. Immediate interrupts are resolved before the event that triggered them, and reactions are resolved after. Otherwise, they function just like you said, right down to only getting one immediate action per round.