PDA

View Full Version : Is this funny?

Lerky
2008-07-29, 12:10 PM
Poll question:
Me and my friend need settle something. During a movie in a theatere the screen flashes to Silence is Golden. He likes to say "Duct Tape is silver" (:smallconfused:). Now I'm wondering if u people think that's funny or not. To yell "Duct tape is silver" when the screen says "Silence is Golden"

Zar Peter
2008-07-29, 12:13 PM
Depends on the mood and/or on the amount of alcohol you already drank.

In the right mood and/or with the correct amount of alcohol nearly everything can be funny.

Hoplite
2008-07-29, 12:17 PM
The comparison doesn't really work enough to be funny. It could however be said in such a way that it becomes funny, eventhough the joke doesn't fit exactly.

Doran_Liadon
2008-07-29, 12:19 PM
I for one think its funny and am going to use it at the theaters now.

Lerky
2008-07-29, 12:20 PM
I for one think its funny and am going to use it at the theaters now.

yes. This is my friend:smallannoyed:

Player_Zero
Hmmm... Not amazingly funny. Maybe a little amusing...

But I think that might be counteracted by the fact that it's damn annoying for anyone to shout anything in a cinema. Makes you look like a pr***.

Midnight Son
It would be funny once. If done every time, it becomes Boorish.

Tom_Violence
2008-07-29, 12:26 PM
Hmmm... Not amazingly funny. Maybe a little amusing...

But I think that might be counteracted by the fact that it's damn annoying for anyone to shout anything in a cinema. Makes you look like a pr***.

Yeah, yelling stuff in a cinema ain't gonna make many people find you amusing really. Personally I rarely ever find such witticisms funny (they're just too forced) , but even something genuinely hilarious is unlikely to come across as such when you're trying to watch a film.

Tis like they say, no one likes a loud mouth, and no one likes a smart ass, so combining the two to disrupt something that people have paid money for probably won't be met with much enthusiasm.

de-trick
2008-07-29, 12:34 PM
its sorta funny, just cause its kind of random, but i would laugh

side story

one time in my Business class I had to read a passage out and one of the points in the article was that merchandise would not be covered by insurance from a terrorist attack, I burst ed out laughing thinking about a suicide bomber attacking a grocery store, I laughed for a good 5 minutes

ooohh just thought of another good story my teacher was thinking about buying one of thous electric bikes and he said he spent $500 on worst things, then I come out with "like drugs" he started to lecture to me about how its not funny and how he had to go to a few funerals for kids who died by drugs. After the lecture the whole day was ruined for everyone in the class

ahh how i will miss my business class

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-07-29, 12:44 PM
I would have gave a good appreciative laugh, but that's just me :smallwink:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-07-29, 12:52 PM
I think it's funny the first time, but not the others.

Once, i was reading a story to the class, and old corny science fiction story, and there was this one line mentioning meteor-proof helmets. Of course, I immediately thought of the huge world-ending type of meter, hitting a small helmet, and then bouncing off. I almost choked in the middle of the line.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-29, 12:53 PM
No, duc tape is diamont.

valadil
2008-07-29, 12:54 PM
Meh. Cute, but not hysterical.

Occasional Sage
2008-07-29, 12:59 PM
If your friend wants to do callbacks during a movie, send him/her to your local Rocky showing, assuming there is one in your area (http://www.rockyhorror.com/participation/showtimes_listings.php?type=r).

Lord Herman
2008-07-29, 01:04 PM
You do know there's a special hell reserved for child molesters and people who talk at the theatre, do you?

skywalker
2008-07-29, 01:09 PM
Why would it say that in the middle of the movie?

Didn't that interrupt everyone's viewing experience?

Doran_Liadon
2008-07-29, 01:10 PM
It says it before the movie starts.

Pinnacle
2008-07-29, 01:13 PM
He hasn't been banned from movies yet?
I mean, it says that for a reason.

And the line doesn't really work when you shout it anyway--it needs to be more incredulous or confused: "But.. how can silence be golden? Duct tape is silver."

And even then, everyone knows the joke and it's not all that clever.

Da Beast
2008-07-29, 01:24 PM
I thought it was funny. Though I'm not sure I'd find it funny if someone yelled it out during a movie.

Doran_Liadon
2008-07-29, 01:27 PM
It's not during a movie. Before the movie after the previews they say it. It is not during the movie at all.

truemane
2008-07-29, 01:30 PM
I've gotten a few good laughs from random yelling-in-theatre-witticisms. On opening night of Episode I, during one of the many logo-graphics-animation thingies (I think it was some robot falling over of something) I yelled out, "Yeah, that's funny. Where's Yoda?"

Full-on Hilarity ensued.

You have to gauge your crowd and pick your moments. I would say that, if you happened to be in a theatre with a crowd that felt that seeing 'Silence is Golden' on the screen was preachy and annoying, the comment would go over huge.

But if not, not so much.

Lissou
2008-07-29, 01:34 PM
It's not during a movie. Before the movie after the previews they say it. It is not during the movie at all.

It's during the movie experience. When people are sitting in the theatre and you're already supposed to have your phone off. I personnally think it' svery inappropriate unless the room is pretty much empty, with only friends in there.
Could be a line to say at home in front of the TV, although it would get old pretty fast.

My father talks in the theatre. Before the movie, during previews and such. I don't go see movies with him anymore, even though he doesn't do it loudly, only whispering to me, because the whole point of going to the theatre is the previews. You can get the movie 3 months later in DVD for the same price as a single theatre seat (or sometimes two), but the previews you get only in theatres, especially since DVDs came out. VHS still had movie previews but DVDs don't :(

And I like theatre commercials, too. They're always so weird, and you don't get them on TV.

Leigh
2008-07-29, 01:36 PM
Depends on who says it.

Pyrian
2008-07-29, 02:13 PM
Silence may be golden, but Metallica sold 14 x platinum. :smallbiggrin:

Space-Is-Curved
2008-07-29, 03:10 PM
I probably wouldn't find this annoying, but it wouldn't be funny either. It's just that I've heard that joke hundreds of times and seen at least five different people at my school with it on their tee-shirts. It's old and overused.

Now, ^'s joke would get at least a chuckle out of me.

Dragor
2008-07-29, 03:42 PM
I only just got it... I'm ashamed. I was reading the thread for two minutes trying to get the joke. Oh dear.

That's not a testament to the joke, though. Now that I understand it, I can imagine it being funny and falling flat on its face at the same time. If everyone feels 'He's been waiting to use that one...' then it kinda falls flat. If it's a spur-of-the-moment thing, it's much more funny.

I find it funny though, now that I understand.

Sneak
2008-07-29, 03:45 PM
Meh. It was kind of funny the first time I saw it on a shirt, but definitely not laugh-out-loud funny even then. Now that I've seen/heard it more times than Yahtzee has used words that would be filtered out on these boards, I would just roll my eyes and groan if I heard it again.

Pinnacle
2008-07-29, 04:00 PM
I only just got it... I'm ashamed. I was reading the thread for two minutes trying to get the joke. Oh dear.

That's why I said he's telling it wrong. Just shouting "Duct tape is silver" only makes sense to people who already know the joke.

Jack Squat
2008-07-29, 04:10 PM
I'd think nothing of the comment. I wouldn't really find it annoying, but at that point I'm always too busy trying to pinpoint where the person is who thought it'd be a good time to text with his phone still set on "loud" anyways.

reorith
2008-07-29, 04:20 PM
no lulz are produced in that situation.

Collin152
2008-07-29, 04:28 PM
Silence is Golden, but they expect it for free?

Tom_Violence
2008-07-29, 04:31 PM
Meh. It was kind of funny the first time I saw it on a shirt, but definitely not laugh-out-loud funny even then. Now that I've seen/heard it more times than Yahtzee has used words that would be filtered out on these boards, I would just roll my eyes and groan if I heard it again.

I think that's an inherent problem with jokes of that type. At best they're good to people who haven't come across them before, but at worst they're so formulaic that they sound like they came right out of a book.

Felixaar
2008-07-29, 04:34 PM
Depends on the mood and/or on the amount of alcohol you already drank.

In the right mood and/or with the correct amount of alcohol nearly everything can be funny.

That reminds me of the time my brother and all his friends played Baulderdash after a late night of drinking, and every answer had references to "how gay Baz is".

Ah, Memories.

On the duct tape thing, I've heard funnier though I can see where the humour comes from. I'd go with something more contradictory... Rock N' Roll is Platinum.

Totally Guy
2008-07-29, 04:39 PM
A little side track but I've noticed something odd in plays recently. Especially period pieces.

The characters come onto the stage and try to tell everyone to turn off their mobile phones but they do it in character. So they don't ever refer to what the gadget is but they stongly suggest phones are switched off in the subtext... paratext... one of those, without ever saying it directly.

Pinnacle
2008-07-29, 04:50 PM

Of course not. Why do you think movie tickets are so cheap?

Collin152
2008-07-29, 04:56 PM
Of course not. Why do you think movie tickets are so cheap?

Oh, you're a clever one...
Hmm...
Do you have any objections to being tied to a chair temporarily?

Kneenibble
2008-07-29, 05:14 PM
A little side track but I've noticed something odd in plays recently. Especially period pieces.

The characters come onto the stage and try to tell everyone to turn off their mobile phones but they do it in character. So they don't ever refer to what the gadget is but they stongly suggest phones are switched off in the subtext... paratext... one of those, without ever saying it directly.

That's lame. Really lame. They should just say it as the actor, not their character. The fourth wall goes up with the curtain.

Ever had a cellphone go off -during- a play?
The first public professional performance I was in, my parents came to see one night, and my father's cellphone went off three times. He didn't turn it off because he didn't want to admit it was his. Nobody did anything.

Then again, I saw a very extensive one-man show once, and a cellphone went off in the thick of it. The actor stopped, said, "Was that a ****ing cellphone?" and launched a long, scathing segway against the offender before resuming the show. Now -that- is golden, baby.

Ranna
2008-07-29, 05:46 PM
I like to shout things out at the cinema after the adverts close so I'd find that amusing, but not every time.

You gotta keep it fresh.

I suggest taking him to a cinema showing which has a shell advert on it, apparently I produce my best out bursts once i see that advert (I apparently can be witty when I am incensed)

Silence
2008-07-29, 06:07 PM

Hell no. I'm expensive.

CrazedGoblin
2008-07-29, 06:13 PM
Duct Tape is like the force. It has a dark side and a light side and binds the universe together!

Collin152
2008-07-29, 06:23 PM
Hell no. I'm expensive.

How much you gunna cost me?

sktarq
2008-07-29, 06:40 PM
I think it would be hilarious as a threat. I would find it hilarious if somebody said it to that one friend of mine who can't seem to shut up during a film.
If you won't shut up on your own we will duct tape your mouth shut as a second best option. Gold first silver second like olympic medals. For those who fail to get my joke

Pinnacle
2008-07-29, 08:51 PM
Do you have any objections to being tied to a chair temporarily?

By you? Yes, many of them.

Collin152
2008-07-29, 09:01 PM
By you? Yes, many of them.

Name twelve.

Silence
2008-07-29, 10:13 PM
How much you gunna cost me?

I think we should discuss this somewhere more private. I'm pretty sure the rules state that there's no protitution on the public forums.