PDA

View Full Version : Lol, homebrew: Campaign setting

Lord Afro
2008-07-29, 01:07 PM
So I want to make a new campaign setting, for the joy of a writer.
I'm probably going to post it on my geocities, Archmage (unfiinshed; gotta clean up the layout and add more graphics) which is where I also promote my mods/art.

People can help.

My ideas for a setting are so far:

egyptian
arctic
"Discworld"
Tropical/savanna
Volcanic world

Egyptian: I'm thinking The Mummy.
High influence of divine magic, strongly lawful country. Probably will just be called Egypt. There will be lots of undead and outsiders, and adventures will be strongly based on either dungeoneering (as a tomb raider, possibly a new class) or missions from authority. Arcane magic is thought of as evil. Weapons: Spears, shortswords, sickles and scimitars.
Tech level: Bronze age.

Arctic: Like frostburn, sort of. Set in the future, after all the world is covered in snow from the second ice age. Technology is all but gone, and guns are extremely rare things, treated as major magic items. Tanks or artillery is gone.
Lights remain. The technology is swords, electricity but no guns or modern weaponry, no computers or internet, no cellphones (you might get bars... Just maybe), no television, basically anything else after the 1920s. No cars either, or large planes (small ones are very rare), but oil tankers exist. Humanity is divided into tribes yet again, fighting for resources to survive. No magic? Not sure about it.

Discworld: You know, Terry Pratchett's series. Actually, found this (http://www.weirdness-central.co.uk/).

Tropical: Voodoo magic, low technology, lots of animals, most magical monsters are either simply out of the ordinary (abberations, giants) or spirits like elementals or incorporeal things. No dragons or westernized monsters. Focus on druids, clerics, barbarians and rangers in non-dungeon style campaign. Although, aztec temples would make great dungeons.

Savanna: Not sure 'bout this one.

Volcanic: Also not sure.

Suggestions/votes?:xykon:

MrEdwardNigma
2008-07-29, 01:09 PM
Tropical sounds best of these, and by far least cliché, but I'm not sure if it's an excellent idea per se.

Lord Afro
2008-07-29, 01:22 PM
Well, i could certainly flesh it out, but how come?

MrEdwardNigma
2008-07-29, 01:28 PM
Well, i could certainly flesh it out, but how come?
Well, it really depends on where you're going with this. If you just want D&D with a different flavour, then it's probably interesting enough to go for (as I said, it's by far the best of your ideas, it has potential).

Lord Afro
2008-07-29, 01:43 PM
Okay. But it's a setting so there's not much else it could be... I'm not talking full conversion here.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-07-29, 02:00 PM
Okay. But it's a setting so there's not much else it could be... I'm not talking full conversion here.

Then it'll do just fine. Pick Tropical.

Lappy9000
2008-07-29, 02:16 PM
Tropical is definitely the best of the ideas you put out.

Sandstorm could certainly help with the deserted desert areas, and touch stone sites (complete a task at the site and gain a spell/per day as innate magical ability) could be essential (like dragonmarks in Eberron).

Stormwrack might help too, but I sadly don't own that one.

For voodoo magic, you could look at the troll race from World of Warcraft. There's lots of possibilities in this area.

Tropical, naturally has pirates (possibly ninjas too). And since tropical locals tend to have volcanic activity, you could mesh those ideas together (think lavaborn shark from dungeonscape, courtesy of Mr. Burlew).

Port towns could be the big sections of civilization, along with the advanced mayan/aztec/incan based cities.

Dairun Cates
2008-07-29, 02:20 PM
Amusingly enough, Discworld put out an official roleplaying game... It's in GURPS. Mind you. That's not MUCH of a game, but it still counts.

ZeraiDaimah
2008-07-29, 03:01 PM
Aww, i had only read the first points (without the fact that it was to choose one of them) when i started forming my own idea about what you wanted, while it's not the same, i'm posting it to see if you like.

The setting would be a discworld (simply about the shape, no need to put the same kind of characters, though that wouldn't be a problem) but the fireball/sun has orbited too far from the turtle, and the world is now in a Ice Age, since most people has started to pray to the gods (i mean, everything it's freezing!!) the gods have gained a lot of power and now make sure that it's maintained, making the arcane powers shuned.

I don't know how you could apply the other two points (maybe the cities are made only around volcanos?) but it looks like something that could be made into a very interesting setting.

Or you could choose one, after all, it's only a idea :smallwink:.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-07-29, 03:16 PM
^ You changed something about the work of the great Pratchett? You feel the need to change something?

Shame on you, sir, shame on you.

ZeraiDaimah
2008-07-29, 03:53 PM
Well, the idea was more of making a simple fantasy world, but making it in a Discworld shape (after all, a turtle it's the perfect shape).

Of course, if it was making a Discworld RPG then it should be made as close to the Prachett books as possible (or even more) as making it in any other way would drive anyone mad, Mad i say!:vaarsuvius:

Edit: Also, that is already being made in the link in the first post.

TheMuffinThief
2008-07-29, 05:20 PM
In the arctic setting, they can produce electricity and electric light, but no guns?

:smallconfused:

Other than that, those are solid ideas - the tropical one is my favourite.

Lord Afro
2008-07-29, 05:31 PM
Hmm, well. I thought a lot about my tropical setting idea while I swam my laps
today, and I've got new ideas. I like to start with races and classes, so here we go:

Races

Pygmies(halflings)
Watusi
Zulu
vodun (intended uncaps denotes noun form of the west African word for spirit; this race will be close to Kalashtar)
Egyptian?
Names are not final; I may adjust the realism scale quite a bit.
Explorer (non-african)
Orc but with fur?

Monstrous Races:

Not sure about this, but when I am, Yakfolk is the first addition.
Classes

Combat:

Ranger, using spears or javelins, or possibly even chakrams. Boomerangs are awesome, but not from africa. Perhaps a "Chakram of returning"

Soldier: Like fighter, but some modifications.

Barbarian

Stealth:
Workin on it...

Divine:

Spirit Shaman, from that one sourcebook. Should have some kind of "turn spirit" ability so she can act as a cleric.

Druid

Voodoo Practitioner (hafta make it? Dunno.)

Arcane:
Not sure it fits in, but I'll see to it. Definitely no wizards.

The technology will need work as well.

Lappy9000
2008-07-29, 09:26 PM
You can just switch around the format of arcane spells, add in some, drop others, call it voodoo, and call it a day :smallbiggrin:

There's gonna be alot of jungles, I assume? You could do some cool things with some sorta crazy biotechnology. Living technology formed of flora and fauna and the like.

Lord Afro
2008-07-31, 02:02 PM
Let's go with that.

Watusi

Physical desccription:
The Watusi are a very tall jungle race, standing from 6ft to 7 1/2ft tall. They weigh
in at 120-220 pounds and have very dark skin. They have eyes ranging from brown to black, depending on their skin tone. Due to their tall stature, some explorers refer to them as "giants". They are reputably skilled dancers because of their height.

Relations:
Watusi are currently a powerful group. The Watusi Kingdom rules most of the land. They are often at war with Pygmies, the shortest race.

Alignment: Usually Lawful.

Culture: Watusi are proud dancers, and also are treated with respect throughout the jungle because of their powerful army.

Watusi Lands: No map yet.

Watusi Racial Abilities and mods:
I'm on it

DracoDei
2008-07-31, 04:02 PM
There has been at least one Voodoun (sp?) homebrew class posted in these forums... might be what you are looking for, might not.