PDA

View Full Version : Beating Pandorym

Draztik
2008-07-29, 04:07 PM
so Ive been in the campaign goin on 8 months now that is basically a heavily modified UM campaign set in forgotten realms. The DM just let it be known that our BBEG is going to be Pandorym.

He didnt say we needed to kill him but he didnt say we didnt either. he simply stated we would need to stop him from "eating" the gods.

I have a little knowledge of Pandorym from what I could find on the internet however I have not actually seen the book with it in there.

I was wonderin anyone could provide me some ways/scenarios to defeat/stop this thing is possible.

The DM did say we would probably be going into epic levels as well.

Currently the party consists of:

Half Dragon-Fighter/cleric
Half-Dragon Fighter
Human Duskblade
Halfling Beguiler
Elven Druid
Human Cleric

Try as I might from what little information I've gotten on the internet I dont understand how we could possible defeat a "sentient black hole".

Thanks in advance.

shadow_archmagi
2008-07-29, 04:14 PM
Major Creation. Anti-Osmium bomb. Or the locate city bomb, that'd work too. Or at least shove him 300 miles away.

spamoo
2008-07-29, 04:28 PM
The clerics could probably force it off the material plane with plane shift. The other option would seem to be miracle in its infinite versatility. It is logical that a god could defeat a sentient black hole.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-07-29, 04:33 PM
When dealing with physics based effects like that the answer can be rough. There's what one "knows" to happen in the real world, and what happens in the fiction of the game. I think you need to do something creative and hope the DM has a creative sense.

Personally, I say find a Sphere of Annihilation and pitch it in and see what happens.

Doresain
2008-07-29, 04:33 PM
pandorym prevents contact(talking to gods, summon outsiders...i think planar travel is banned as well) with outer planar beings simply by existing...and hes not a black hole, hes a psionic god killing crystal

NEO|Phyte
2008-07-29, 05:59 PM
pandorym prevents contact(talking to gods, summon outsiders...i think planar travel is banned as well) with outer planar beings simply by existing...and hes not a black hole, hes a psionic god killing crystal

Psionic? Sounds like a job for the Annulus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psionicArtifacts.htm#annulus).

spamoo
2008-07-29, 06:11 PM

In that case, run as fast as you can. That may work...

RTGoodman
2008-07-29, 06:29 PM
Psionic? Sounds like a job for the Annulus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psionicArtifacts.htm#annulus).

My thoughts exactly. Especially since there's no save or anything.

Annulus
[...]
The primary power of the Annulus, however, is psionic nullification. Once per year, the wielder can trigger this effect as a special action requiring 10 rounds of continuous concentration to complete. The wielder specifies a target or targets within a 100-foot radius. [...] (A)ny psionic target—regardless of any protection it may possess—disintegrates in a terrific explosion. Nothing is left but floating dust.

It is relatively easy to nullify a single target or a small group of targets, but nullifying a more powerful being (such as a demigod or greater entity) or another major artifact taxes the Annulus to its limits. If it is used to nullify such a target, the artifact succeeds but is destroyed in the process and cannot be retrieved by any means.

Yeah, you lose the artifact, but all it requires to destroy this black hole fellow is to Concentrate for 10 rounds.

Rei_Jin
2008-07-29, 06:38 PM
Beating... Pandorym...

Huh.

Asides from using broken characters (Hulking hurler, Pun Pun, Word or Wish, etc) I'd recommend the suicide approach.

Take 1 minion, give them a bag of holding and a portable hole.

Fire them into Pandorym, and at the last minute, combine the two.

No more Pandorym. No more minion either, but that's why minions exist, isn't it?

And yet again Xykons wisdom shows through.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-07-29, 06:46 PM
Make sure it's a smart minion, though. Get the combo wrong and you've got Pandorym on the Astral Plane and nobody wants that.

Gralamin
2008-07-29, 06:46 PM

His mind is entrapped in a crystal. His body is a giant black hole. As long as they don't recombine, you probably won't need the annulus. Though be careful if your a cleric, your screwed, as you can't regain spells within 1000 miles of his mind, and it also uses you to heal while giving you negative levels.

Keep in mind, however, what is described as a tiny shard of Pandorym's mind is a CR 25 creature.

arguskos
2008-07-29, 06:54 PM
10 rounds of continuous concentration to complete
Uh.... yeah... this is probably pretty hard to achieve when confronted with a god-killing psionic crystal from beyond the universe's limits. Just sayin'.

However, if you ARE going epic, have someone take Epic Spellcasting, and proceed to break the universe in half.

-argus

tyckspoon
2008-07-29, 07:04 PM
into epic levels

Halfling Beguiler
Elven Druid
Human Cleric

Irrelevant parts removed. Wait until you get Epic. You can run around and gather information while you level, see how your DM actually wants you to do it, but that doesn't really matter- you're gonna brute-force the sucker. Once you're Epic, all your casters take Epic Spellcasting. And Leadership, if possible- you want swarms of Adepts as your followers. Not completely necessary, it just saves you some steps.

Now develop an Epic spell to kill/banish/make Pandorym your bitch. Use as much Spellcraft DC as you like; you have effectively infinite mitigation at your command by way of the Ritual option. This is acquired by chain-binding spellcasting creatures. Use another normally-created Epic spell to make them your permanent allies if you have to.. or jump right into the ritual abuse with your Adept followers. A Leadership score of 20 (about the minimum you should have) gets you 61 followers who should all be capable of contributing at least a 1st level spell. That's -61 to the final Spellcraft DC of your check. Multiply by 3 for 3 characters with Leadership, and you have -183. Plus whatever your Cohort who is ideally another spellcaster can contribute. And you haven't even begun abusing calling spells.

If -183 isn't enough, start chain-binding outsiders. Couatls are good to start with; 9th level sorcerer casting is 4th level spells, which is good for -7 apiece. When you have enough power behind your Epic Spell of Outsider Befriending, use it to get a bunch of angels. Solars are the best- 20th level Clerical casting, so 9th level spells, which is -17 to the Spellcraft DC apiece. Plus you have a small army of Solars on your side, which are very potent completely apart from their use in Epic Spell abuse.