PDA

View Full Version : Staffmaster Fighter Paragon Path (4e)

Shadow_Elf
2008-07-29, 07:45 PM
Another one of my many homebrew projects. It doesn't really compare to a lot of the existing fighter paragon paths, so i was wondering what some impressions were.

Staffmaster

Prerequisites: Fighter class, two-handed weapon talent, weapon focus quarterstaff

Staff Mastery (11)
You increase the dice size of your quarterstaff attacks when you make a successful attack roll with any attack that includes your quarterstaff
Perfect Balance (11)
When you are knocked prone, you can spend an action point to make a saving throw against it with a +3 bonus. If you suceed, each adjacent enemy takes damage equal to your Strength modifier
Staff Rhythm (16)
You deal your Constitution modifier in additional damage for each consecutive turn you strike the same enemy with a power that includes the weapon keyword and targets only that creature, to a maximum of 4. If you have combat advantage and a maxed staff rhythm against a target, you maintain combat advantage until your rhythm is broken.

Staff Leap
You leap over your opponent and strike him from behind
Encounter * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: You shift directly to the opposite side of the creature and deal 1[W] + Strength Modifier + Constitution Modifier Damage. You do not provoke opportunity attacks from any other creatures, and gain combat advantage against the target until the end of your next turn.

Staff Press
Encounter Utility * Martial, Weapon
Immediate Reaction
Trigger: You land a successful hit with your staff
You push your opponent squares equal to your Constitution modifier and follow them in the same direction. You do not provoke opportunity attacks when you perform this move.

Lightning Dance of Death
Daily Attack * Martial, Weapon, Lightning
Standard Action Close Burst 1
Target: All enemies in burst you can see
Attack: Strength vs. Reflex
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier Lightning damage
Miss: Half damage
Special: If every attack hits, this power is not expended but it cannot be used again this encounter

Alteran
2008-07-29, 10:44 PM
I think it's interesting, I never really payed much attention to staves before. I have a few questions and suggestions, but some of them are more about how you phrased something or clarifying what you meant.

weapon focus quarterstaff

I think you mean Weapon Focus Staff, that's the weapon group. Not a real problem, just a small correction.

For staff rhythm, does the additional damage stack as the rhythm continues? Eg, is it Con Modifier on the second hit, Con x 2 on the third, Con x 3 on the fourth, and so on? If the damage does stack, I would consider reducing the amount of times it's dealt, perhaps only 2 or 3 instead of the listed 4.

I like it overall, I'd be interested to see how it works out in combat. I can see myself making good use of some of those powers. Nothing seems blatantly overpowered or useless to me.

Shadow_Elf
2008-07-30, 06:01 PM
For staff rhythm, does the additional damage stack as the rhythm continues? Eg, is it Con Modifier on the second hit, Con x 2 on the third, Con x 3 on the fourth, and so on? If the damage does stack, I would consider reducing the amount of times it's dealt, perhaps only 2 or 3 instead of the listed 4.

Your right, it does stack. I.e. my Con bonus is +3. After attacking an enemy 5 consequetive times (engage, rhythm 1, rhythm 2, rhythm 3, rhythm 4) i deal an additional 12 damage. That is probably way overpower, so maybe i'll make it a max 2 or 3 like you suggested. Maybe 2 is best because he also gets the maintain comabt advantage part of it.

Note: Lightning Dance of Death should have a "Special: Does not break Staff Rhythm on current target" tag at the end.

Zocelot
2008-07-30, 08:33 PM
I'd suggest making the rythm cap after 3 turns or 2 turns (not sure how to say it).

The first attack would do normal damage.
The second attack would do normal damage+con
The third attack would do normal damage+2con
The fourth attack would do normal damage+2 con
etc.

It's extremely well balanced, and it also looks fun to play.

Vazzaroth
2008-09-27, 06:01 PM
I, however, will do some Necromancy.

I really, really like this. Good show. In fact, I hope wizards does something like this for every weapon category in Martial Power. The only suggestion I have is (In the future) adapt it to work with monks. I might do so when Martial Power comes out, as I've always wanted to do a staff/monk weapon fighter, but 3.5 never really supported that very well.

Another thing: I really miss everything having flavor text. They cut it out for some of their things, like the passive Paragon Path abilities. Case in Point: What is Perfect Balance supposed to look like? Whenever I read about things that do damage that don't offer flavor text, I can't help but imagine enemies randomly recoiling in pain while the initiator does nothing. :smalleek:

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-27, 06:07 PM
^ Perfect Balance Visualisation:

1. The Enemy knocks you prone
2. You throw back your staff and let your weight fall into it, swinging around it and kicking every adjacent enemy as you spin around the axis that is your staff and end the spin upright again, ready to fight.
3. Enemies go "whoa!", or pick some choice profanity.

How's that?

Vazzaroth
2008-09-27, 06:11 PM
Thats about what I was thinking.

Also, if you've ever play Soul Caliber, Kilik does a wicked stand up where he goes up onto the tip of his (vertical) staff, then brings it up and slams it into the enemy. I imagined that too, with more of a helicopter effect.

Of course, thats the "4E is anime" version. :smallbiggrin:

Shadow_Elf
2008-09-27, 06:18 PM
Thats about what I was thinking.

Also, if you've ever play Soul Caliber, Kilik does a wicked stand up where he goes up onto the tip of his (vertical) staff, then brings it up and slams it into the enemy. I imagined that too, with more of a helicopter effect.

Of course, thats the "4E is anime" version. :smallbiggrin:

I do, in fact, own Soul Caliber II, and I did, in fact, think of Kilik while making this (though not exclusively, there was other inspirations)

Vazzaroth
2008-10-18, 12:29 PM
Ok, so I was reading in the new Dragon Magazine article on Gladiators and there was a feat that I Immediately wanted to point out with this paragon path. (Good thing I still had it subscribed) The feat is "Staff Fighting", makes it a Double Weapon with the Defensive and Off-hand properties.

Awesome.