PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Master?

bibliophile
2008-07-29, 08:38 PM
I was looking through the Complete Warrior and I came across the rather bizarre Drunken Master class. Has anyone ever played this? How well did it work?

DareTheRogue
2008-07-29, 08:50 PM
I have never played it but I have played with players who have played it in games we were playing and it has been a nuisance to every game. the play usually seems to take the class to far and it annoys everyone else including the GM

Rei_Jin
2008-07-29, 08:56 PM
I've played the class and DMed a player who used this class, and as long as the person using it isn't an attention seeker, it's generally fine.

A nice combo is to take the Throw Anything feat (From Complete Warrior) in combination with Improvised Weapons so that you can hurl things across the battlefield.

The favored thing to hurl in our games was tankards.

Of course, if you want to go this route, I'd also recommend picking up Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot and Far Shot if you can afford the feats. Brutal Throw is also a good one if you can pick it up.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-07-29, 09:01 PM
Flavor-wise: Awsome! Mechanically, not so good.

Suggestion: Straight Swordsage focusing on Diamond Mind and Setting Sun disciplines. Baffling Defense is a perfect example of a drunken master's uncanny ability to avoid being hit.

Vexxation
2008-07-29, 09:08 PM
1) Level of Commoner at creation. Flaw: Chicken Infested.
2) Levels in Drunken Master when appropriate.
3) Throw Anything (Hulking Hurler if possible, else as a regular feat)
4) Brutal Throw if Strength is higher, which would be recommended.
5) Any other flavorable throwing feats.
6) One spell component pouch.

Drawing a component is a free action, I believe. Just draw until you get a chicken. Using Throw Anything and Improvised Weapons to throw a chicken at the enemy. Or beat the enemy with a chicken. Note, these deal damage equal to one's unarmed strike +1d4 - +1d12 depending on Drunken Master level.

Fun!

playswithfire
2008-07-29, 09:09 PM
I'm going to agree with Shneekey; great flavor, mechanically unimpressive, though I once threw together a fun gestalt character who was a Monk/Bard/Drunken Master//Crusader (with a bit of deepwarden purely for slight cheese) that I really enjoyed, though I also reflavored the Crusader a bit e.g. thought of the granted maneuvers as the ones he could remember, called the Press the Advantage stance the Lurching Stumble stance, etc. But in non-gestalt, I again agree with Shneekey, be a setting sun swordsage and act drunk.

bibliophile
2008-07-29, 09:43 PM
Thank you everyone, for your responses.