PDA

View Full Version : spreading Firefoxy and other internet related goodness

wojonatior
2008-07-29, 11:40 PM
Hey i have found some cool things on the internet recently, so i wanted to spread them to you guys too.

#1:Firefox:Just making sure everybody knows about it, if you don't know lemme explain. Its basically whatever internet browser use but better!

#2:Stumble upon toolbar: This addon for Firefox or internet explorer(GRRR), that when used helps you stumble across new things in the internet.(hence the name). What you do is put in your interests when you make your account. and when you hit the stumble button it brings up a page recommended by other users. Then look at the page if you like it thumbs up it if you don't in thumbs down that type of thing. the more you thumbs up and down thinks the better the pages you stumble will be. You can also stumble just pictures, videos, your friends favorites, news, just one of your interests, wiki, the onion, youtube, blogspot, metacafe, flickr, and some others. you can go through your previously thumbs upped pages and many other profile options. If you do look into this and make an account(which you should)find me and friend me, the account name is the same as this account name.

#3:Pandora: Basically a music version of stumble.

#4:The zombie hunters: a good zombie comic that my friend told me about, and by the way the art is amazing.

I will add more things as i think of them and you are welcome to add to the list too.:smallbiggrin:

Dryken
2008-07-29, 11:45 PM
What does everyone think of Firefox 3? In all honesty, I like Firefox 2 better, but I want to know what other people think of it since I haven't read many reviews on it.

Phae Nymna
2008-07-29, 11:49 PM
It's alright, but I agree that Firefox 2 is better. I've hate IE for a long time, so it's not even on my computer anymore. But nowadays, I don't care about either. Now, I'm a Safari Guy. :smallcool:

wojonatior
2008-07-29, 11:57 PM
#4: if you have Firefox 3 type in about:robots in the address bar.

I think Firefox 3 is better buts that's just my opinion.

Bitzeralisis
2008-07-30, 12:45 AM
Eh. It takes time to get used to Firefox 3.0's fancy, new thingamabobs (and its lack of updated Firefox 2.0 add-ons), but apparently, it's better. :smallconfused:

thubby
2008-07-30, 12:53 AM
nice awesome comic.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-07-30, 04:34 AM
The only real change I've seen was the awesome bar.

When I get time later I'll add in some of my favourite addons

Lord Herman
2008-07-30, 04:47 AM
What is it about Firefox that makes it so awesome? Firefox users always claim it's much better than IE, but I've never heard any actual reasons why.

Phae Nymna
2008-07-30, 04:54 AM
Because IE, no matter how many add-ons, does a terrible job comparatively at blocking popups and speeding up page loads. And the whole major crashing problems. That could be a knock down for IE. :smallamused:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-30, 04:58 AM
Because IE, no matter how many add-ons, does a terrible job comparatively at blocking popups and speeding up page loads. And the whole major crashing problems. That could be a knock down for IE. :smallamused:
Seconded.

And I have no idea which version of Firefox I'm using. I just use it.

Internet related goody stuff?
Radio Rivendell, the only fantasy music radio station. (http://www.radiorivendell.com/?&sid=9e14249ef85bfbf4c515620a3b549e2d) It's web-based, so no downloads or anything. The only problem I've ever had with it that after hours of straight playing it can suddenly stop but just clicking the play button again makes it play.

DigoDragon
2008-07-30, 06:39 AM
What is it about Firefox that makes it so awesome? Firefox users always claim it's much better than IE, but I've never heard any actual reasons why.

It's all about personal preferences I think. I use IE6 & 7 and never had speed or pop-up blocking issues. I used Firefox, Safari, and Opera(sp?) to see if there's a big difference, but they all seem the same to me. So whichever works for you, go for it. :smallsmile:

Artemician
2008-07-30, 06:42 AM

Addons. From Piclens to Adblock to Flashget to Downthemall to Sage, they add functionality to the browser that IE can only dream of.

Dave Rapp
2008-07-30, 06:55 AM
FFvsIE debates are clasfied as a religious debate according to the Internet Geek Argument acts of 2001, the same acts that mandated that all flame wars end with Hitler accusations. And as we all know, religious debates aren't allowed here, so let's drop that and get back to internet related goodness. :smalltongue:

http://www.urealms.com/

http://www.purepwnage.com/

http://www.explosm.net/

http://www.sluggy.com/

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78026

All awesomes that everyone should know about.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-07-30, 06:56 AM
Seconded.

And I have no idea which version of Firefox I'm using. I just use it.

Internet related goody stuff?
Radio Rivendell, the only fantasy music radio station. (http://www.radiorivendell.com/?&sid=9e14249ef85bfbf4c515620a3b549e2d) It's web-based, so no downloads or anything. The only problem I've ever had with it that after hours of straight playing it can suddenly stop but just clicking the play button again makes it play.
And this one. Which was sadly ignored.

Dispozition
2008-07-30, 07:00 AM
Zombie hunters is a great comic...

Anyway, I'm still on good old FireFox 2.0.0.16, goooood stuff. Haven't had any problems yet, doubt I ever will :P

I have...A lot of addons, 'essential' ones are Morning Coffee, SwitchProxy, Foxmarks, FoxyTunes, Download Statusbar and FasterFox...I use too many >.<

valadil
2008-07-30, 08:45 AM

Firefox is more secure than IE. Firefox is more configurable via plugins. Firefox renders pages correctly (as a web developer I spend more time hacking things so they work in IE than designing the page in the first place).

I really like Firefox 3 but it runs poorly on my laptop. I know I'm not the only one who has that issue, but it's great on newer machines.

As far as other goodness goes, anyone who uses more than one machine regularly, dual boots, or reinstalls frequently should check out foxmarks. It's a firefox plugin that keeps your bookmarks synchronized across machines.

Ranna
2008-07-30, 09:30 AM
I like firefox because it has a built in spell checker, and its a cutey w00ty foxy that is all.
As for what version I have.... not a clue!

Silence
2008-07-30, 09:55 AM
Firefox owns IE for three reasons:

1. Auto spell checker. A must have for me.
2. Customization. You can make it any way you like. Addons galore!
3. It's so much faster.

Personally I haven't seen enough differences between FF2 and FF3 to make a comment. I used both of them a lot, but all they did was tweak a couple things.

(Fun fact: Firefox considers "gigantically" a word)

B-Man
2008-07-30, 12:47 PM
I've used both IE 7 and Fx 2 & 3 and IE 7 just can't compare. IE 7 may have RSS feed support but it doesn't support RSS drop-down menus. I've hated and will always hate IE 7's "Clear Type" option. It makes it hard to read fonts on the screen (but that above issue may be due to my poor eyesight).

IE 7 appears to load a page "faster" than Fx. It loads images and text together, but it takes a while to do so. When the boards were being wonky, if I ever found myself using IE 7, I had to turn the images off so that I could access the boards.

The built-in spell checker is a plus for many people using Fx, but there is an add-on on IE 7 that gives you Ad-Block like pop-up blocking and spell checking. The add-on program is called IE7 Pro.

So yes, a bunch of the IE 7 vs Fx arguments can be labelled as fanboyism. It's a matter of preference. One last thing I really don't like about IE 7. The menu bar positioning. Why the heck did Microsoft change the position of the menu bar?! I had to hack the IE 7 registry to get the menu bar back above the address bar, where it belongs.

Pyro
2008-07-30, 01:32 PM
O yeah I recently was using IE and I kept wondering why the home buttons were below the address.

And wow I don't know much about Firefox even though I use it.

I had no clue there was a spell checker...well I did, but I only noticed it on these boards so I though it was vbulletin stuff.

And firefox 3!?! *runs off and downloads*

Edit: O man I do not like the new Firefox interface, but I quickly found an addon to change it back to firefox 2. I feel so tech savvy now.

Jack Squat
2008-07-30, 04:13 PM
Firefox actually loads pages slower for me...go figure.

I still use it for tv-links (on the rare occasion I use it) because they want you to, but that's about it. I'm really too lazy to try and adapt to FF at the moment, but I figure I will eventually.

wojonatior
2008-07-30, 05:15 PM
For all you people who say Firefox is too slow go look up Firefox speed increase. it is some minor tweaking you can do to Firefox settings to speed Firefox up.