PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger DS

Burley
2008-07-30, 09:04 AM
So, um... YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
Gosh Damn, I'm excited. This is gonna probably be the straw that breaks my back. And, by "straw" I mean "game." And, by "back" I mean "life, because I'll be playing this game way too much."
Seriously, though: This is the one game I've been hoping and praying would get good port-up. The Playstation version...meh. It had cut scenes, I guess...short and soundless as they may have been. But, they promise dual-screen and touch-screen mechanics, which would add a new level of awesome to an already a-freakin'-mazing game.
I'll be waiting.

So, discuss. What are you hoping for? What do you hope they don't do? How did you feel about the PS-port, and do you think that the DS-port will flop with the "kids these days?" Or, just go ahead and talk about your favorite moments, least favorite craps, or just how long you spent leveling up at the beginning of the game against Gato for free levels and fair money.

KillianHawkeye
2008-07-30, 05:28 PM
The PSX version's cutscenes did have sound: music, although no dialogue.

Hyunkel
2008-07-30, 07:07 PM
yeah i just hope they won't "tweak" it so that it become so easy a 4 years old kid could go through it blindfolded

Tengu_temp
2008-07-30, 07:30 PM
I hope they will make Lavos stronger so a certain individual will stop complaining that the easy difficulty of the last boss ruined this game for him. You know who you are.

Thorosofmyr
2008-07-30, 07:59 PM
Is it kinda sad that I really wish they'd revamp Chrono Cross than RE-re-release Chrono Trigger?

I mean, I LIKE CT, but I also wanna be able to play through Chrono Cross and understand what's going on... And better graphics. Ya.

tyckspoon
2008-07-30, 09:56 PM
I hope they will make Lavos stronger so a certain individual will stop complaining that the easy difficulty of the last boss ruined this game for him. You know who you are.

huh. Really? I mean, I've been completely crushing him the last four runs or so, but that's because I've been playing new game+.. Lavos is actually pretty rough on a fresh playthrough. Unless you abuse the Black Omen for stealing stuff, I guess, in which case just about nothing left in the game is a real problem for you.

Is it kinda sad that I really wish they'd revamp Chrono Cross than RE-re-release Chrono Trigger?

It's a possibility, now that we have some indication that they actually do remember the Chrono games.. although I would expect FF7 would be the priority if they're going to really start redoing PS1 games. Or maybe they'd do Cross first as a test run? Less Nerdrage if they happen to screw up something on that project.

Burley
2008-07-31, 08:30 AM
Y'know, I love Chrono Cross, and I still play it as often as I can (read: when the lady has my DS and I'm bored of my Wii games.) But, ChronoCross just didn't have a strong fanbase. Sure, it was a great game, but it didn't advertise well, and the graphics were...well, they were trying very hard to make things beautiful, but PS1 just didn't do "beautiful" at that time. A re-do of Chrono Cross would be welcomed, and probably do better with the younger crowd, but... I don't have a PS3, and there is no way ChronoCross would be release on anything but that.

Thorosofmyr
2008-07-31, 03:06 PM
I don't have a PS3, and there is no way ChronoCross would be release on anything but that.

Unfortunately, you are correct sir. However, a new age of gaming is being born as we speak. The age of mooching. Formerly, it was good form to have your own system, which let you enjoy games to your heart's content. Now, with two consoles at tremendous prices (and one at a more reasonable one), it is more acceptable, nay, necessary to join the shared gaming experience of moochery.

Now back to something mildly on topic.

Is the game going to feature more/better cut scenes? I'm kinda hoping for what they did for Final Fantasy Tactics --> Final Fantasy Tactics, war of the lions. Still faithful to the original, awesome cut scenes, text that made sense (woo!) and add ons to an already wonderful game.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-07-31, 09:51 PM
Having attained all 12 endings on Chrono Trigger, I am of mixed emotions about this announcement

On one hand, Chrono Trigger FTW!!!111!ONE!

On the other hand, this scares me. You just can't mess with perfection. That's what got you Chrono Cross and Legend of Mana. Will they dare to strike down that which is immortal?

I have the PS port, and I like it. They kept most of the feel of the original, plus the bonuses, like the soundtracks, are really nifty.

Burley
2008-08-01, 09:10 AM
Hate to break it to you Shneeky, but there are 13 endings. You missed one.

Cristo Meyers
2008-08-01, 09:17 AM
Hate to break it to you Shneeky, but there are 13 endings. You missed one.

Was about to say...

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be picking this and the FFIV DS port up sometime. But considering my track record with video games I doubt I'll ever actually finish them (poor FFVI, still sitting with my DS, all lonely and stuff).

I'm not worried about how it'll turn out. Well, not much, there's only so much damage they can do.

Fawkes
2008-10-06, 04:35 PM
I wub Chrono Trigger. I will buy the port no matter what. I'd love to see more cutscenes, though. Maybe add in some bonus material for New Game+s. Maybe have costume changes, like Frog as Glenn, or Magus as the Prophet.

YPU
2008-10-06, 05:29 PM
shneekey, i agree the game was damn near perfect and there is a lot to be screwed up there.

the game did still have its faults IMHO, crono misses a real background. he's a kid with a katana... the part where you loose him for a litle made me realize this.

Fawkes
2008-10-06, 05:38 PM
the game did still have its faults IMHO, crono misses a real background. he's a kid with a katana... the part where you loose him for a litle made me realize this.

Yeah, the silent protagonist isn't that great, but I prefer it to the whining and brooding that all speaking Square main characters tend to have.

But part of that is on purpose. Crono is basically just some guy who gets caught up in the greatest adventure ever. The people he meets are the interesting ones. Frog FTW.

Innis Cabal
2008-10-06, 05:39 PM
Seeing how Spare-Enix is no longer Sony only, we could see a port of CC to the 360, easily actually.

Kranden
2008-10-06, 08:01 PM
Too bad its only a port and not a graphic remake like VI. Still as long as they dont mess with the game it should be fun. If anything the things I see them changings are

1. Make it faster to get through the Fair in the beginning.
2. Drop some hints about the doll when you lose a certain member of the party.

Skippy
2008-10-06, 11:08 PM
*Drools*

Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite RPGs ever. Followed closely by Mario RPG. I am waiting for it eagerly.