PDA

View Full Version : Ninja/Ranger multiclass viable?(3.5)

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-30, 09:09 AM
I've been re-imagining one of my favorite characters (Cassius Lazy Moon) as an Urban Ranger/Ninja multiclass. I've never seen a ninja in action before though, so I'm not sure that would be terribly viable. Is there any synergy there?

I don't recall how the swift invisibility thing works exactly. Does it synergize at all with 2WF? Are you greater invisibilty'd for a round, or just regular invisibility?

RagnaroksChosen
2008-07-30, 10:15 AM
I know the ninja just gets basic invis. They seem to be more a one strike one kill type. I'm not a huge fan of the ninja class I prefer to see people who want to play ninjas play rogues or rogue/monks depending.
It is viable i guess probably better going ranged combat rather then 2 weapon fighting. As a ninjas Sudden strike isn't useful when flanking(doesn't apply). A rogue ranger would work as a 2 weapon fighter. Find a flanking buddy and your good.

Frosty
2008-07-30, 10:54 AM
If you want, you can instead try Ranger/swordsage/shadow sun ninja. Maybe get some Tiger Claw maneuvers for two-weapon goodness.

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-30, 10:58 AM
Not really wanting to rely on ToB for the build. Also, I kinda want to get the swift invisibility from the ninja. Say, can I get that with a dip? The uses/per day are derived from wisdom, right?

Not that I don't like ToB, mind you. I would absolutely love Sudden Leap with this character.

Spiryt
2008-07-30, 11:03 AM
It looks fun. There is certain Wisdom usefulness in both classes. Won't archery tree (with maybe some throwing weapon) be more interesting though?

Ossian
2008-07-30, 11:06 AM
As a side consideration the idea of an Urban Ranger - Ninja with some martial arts proficiency reminds me a lot of Snake Eyes, an awesome G I Joe character (son to be portrayed by ray park in an upcoming movie). All in all a very cool idea. Look at that (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/SnakeEyeslive.jpg).

Ossian

Skjaldbakka
2008-07-30, 11:12 AM
It looks fun. There is certain Wisdom usefulness in both classes. Won't archery tree (with maybe some throwing weapon) be more interesting though?

I don't like the archery tree, because it makes you either waste a feat on Precise Shot, or not take Precise Shot, since you get IPS for free at 12th level. Of course, that wouldn't matter with an even multiclass.

I typically get the 2WF for free, and just take archery feats. Works even better with thrown weapons. Which I might focus on. 2WF + Rapid Shot + free shuriken prof from Ninja.

Chronos
2008-07-30, 02:28 PM
The ninja's invisibility ability doesn't say "as the spell", so it's not broken by attacking. You still get a full round's worth of invisibility, even with a full attack.

As for synergy, in combat you'll be making Sudden Strike attacks with two weapons, and out of combat, they both have plenty of skill points. You could do a lot worse.